HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread - Somebody get Lamb Chop on the phone..

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 10:09 PM
  #701
X66
Registered User
 
X66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'm not knocking MaCarthur, but even at a late 1st, I'm not buying it. The production is great, but the player is still the player. It would be like Canucks fans expecting Raymond to garner a 1st at the deadline. When guys like Boyes and Kostitsyn, players with a better pedigree and perhaps better tools, went for 2nd rounders. I'm just not buying it. Sorry.
Better Pedigree? When is this, 3 years ago? In the Last 2 years, MacArthur has been a much more serviceable player than those two, and FAR better defensively.

Mac=108 points
Boyes=78 points
Kostitsyn=69 points

Those are their stats the last two years. Their first years were better than their second years, and even then MacArthur had the better season.

Mac is far more versatile than those two, unfortunately a split finger this year has held back his production, but he'll pick it up.

Paul Gaustad was traded for a first round pick...Paul Gaustad.

X66 is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:24 PM
  #702
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
Better Pedigree? When is this, 3 years ago? In the Last 2 years, MacArthur has been a much more serviceable player than those two, and FAR better defensively.

Mac=108 points
Boyes=78 points
Kostitsyn=69 points


Those are their stats the last two years. Their first years were better than their second years, and even then MacArthur had the better season.

Mac is far more versatile than those two, unfortunately a split finger this year has held back his production, but he'll pick it up.

Paul Gaustad was traded for a first round pick...Paul Gaustad.


Paul Gaustad is a defined upgrade to a specific position, 3C. What is MaCarthur? 2nd liner? On a good team?


Boyes in particular has had 6 seasons at greater than 40 points. MaCartur has two. Kostitsyn is very consistent 40+ point producer. I would take either one over MaCarthur in a heartbeat. Yes, MaCarthur's last 2 years have been better, but I'm looking at the player's total body of work, and their current skillset. MaCarthur seems like a middle-six tweener on a mediocre team, while you can find better defined options garner less at the deadline.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
  #703
X66
Registered User
 
X66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,414
vCash: 500
I guess we shall agree to disagree

X66 is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:40 PM
  #704
Edonator
The Mightiest Club
 
Edonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vancouver
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
What would we give up if we didn't have Luongo/Schneider and needed an elite starting goalie?

Raymond, pick, and Jensen/Connauton maybe?

More? Interesting to flip it around.

Edonator is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:45 PM
  #705
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,895
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
What would we give up if we didn't have Luongo/Schneider and needed an elite starting goalie?

Raymond, pick, and Jensen/Connauton maybe?

More? Interesting to flip it around.
Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Auld and Bryan Allen but I would expect a DMan like Krajicek back as well.

thepuckmonster is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:51 PM
  #706
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,890
vCash: 500
I'd give Corrado/Connauton+ for RoR. Colorado needs defense and with our entire defense basically locked up for 4+ years...

keslerburrows is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  #707
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Auld and Bryan Allen but I would expect a DMan like Krajicek back as well.
You almost owed my company a new keyboard!

PRNuck is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  #708
vector209
Registered User
 
vector209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I'd give Corrado/Connauton+ for RoR. Colorado needs defense and with our entire defense basically locked up for 4+ years...
This is a mistake in my opinion. Corrado screams hidden gem and potential stud defenseman in the future. Just because the D is locked up doesn't mean they can't be replaced if someone outplays them.

Two years ago, would many people have entertained the notion that Luongo would be on his way out due to the stellar play of another goalie within the ranks?

vector209 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:58 PM
  #709
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 22,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I'd give Corrado/Connauton+ for RoR. Colorado needs defense and with our entire defense basically locked up for 4+ years...
Need some depth in case of injuries; him being able to play the right side adds more value from the Canucks POV. Plus, he'd be on a cheap contract. Too valuable IMHO to give up.

Barney Gumble is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:08 PM
  #710
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I'd give Corrado/Connauton+ for RoR. Colorado needs defense and with our entire defense basically locked up for 4+ years...
Colorado needs defense. They don't need defense prospects.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:09 PM
  #711
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,111
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Need some depth in case of injuries; him being able to play the right side adds more value from the Canucks POV. Plus, he'd be on a cheap contract. Too valuable IMHO to give up.
This. Right now our depth amongst RHD (pro) is Bieksa, Tanev, Polasek, Schneider. A guy like Corrado is just what we need and I would be very hard pressed to move him.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
  #712
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,111
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Colorado needs defense. They don't need defense prospects.
Maybe Keith Ballard would interest them? Again, not something I'd probably do this season, but in the off-season it could make a lot of sense.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
  #713
Derp Kassian
Registered User
 
Derp Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 500
So do people see Luu getting split starts or is CS going to take over from here?

Derp Kassian is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:28 PM
  #714
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,625
vCash: 500
keeping luongo until the off-season ala rick nash. more list of teams then

David71 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:29 PM
  #715
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,895
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
So do people see Luu getting split starts or is CS going to take over from here?
You win, you're in.

Kind of. Ride the hot hand within reason without letting the other get too cold. Has been working pretty well so far.

thepuckmonster is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:30 PM
  #716
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,850
vCash: 500
^ Continue as is. Split starts.

AndyPipkin is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:46 PM
  #717
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,020
vCash: 500
The two goalies are at basically 50% right now, and I hope it continues. In playoffs too, when there could be an issue with rest (eg, not 2 days between games) I hope they don't hesitate to use both goalies. It doesn't follow conventional wisdom, but unless one goalie is absolutely playing out of their mind, I think switching from a half time goalie to a full time goalie is just needlessly changing a system that works.

deckercky is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:59 PM
  #718
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,625
vCash: 500
say in the playoffs. should vancouver do this. luongo wins first series. starts schiends second series. or unless luongo craps the bed in the first few games and schiender starts? or do rotations

David71 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:01 PM
  #719
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,111
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
The two goalies are at basically 50% right now, and I hope it continues. In playoffs too, when there could be an issue with rest (eg, not 2 days between games) I hope they don't hesitate to use both goalies. It doesn't follow conventional wisdom, but unless one goalie is absolutely playing out of their mind, I think switching from a half time goalie to a full time goalie is just needlessly changing a system that works.
I've been saying this for a while now. As long as we continue having success this way, why change when we hit the playoffs?

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:02 PM
  #720
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,293
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
say in the playoffs. should vancouver do this. luongo wins first series. starts schiends second series. or unless luongo craps the bed in the first few games and schiender starts? or do rotations
IMO, you ride the hot hand. When one falters, you can always defer to the other. I think the Wild used that to some success in 2003, going back and forth between Fernandez and Roloson. Maybe even the Hurricanes with Weekes and Irbe in 2002, IIRC?

Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:03 PM
  #721
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
IMO, you ride the hot hand. When one falters, you can always defer to the other. I think the Wild used that to some success in 2002, going back and forth between Fernandez and Roloson. Maybe even the Hurricanes with Weekes and Irbe that same year, IIRC?
yeah. something like that. ward/gerber in 2006

David71 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
  #722
Biggest Canuck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Kelowna, BC
Posts: 10,749
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
yeah. something like that. ward/gerber in 2006
Thomas/Rask Bruins 2010/11

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:17 PM
  #723
Fairweather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 50
2 goals in a game. If you let in two goals, switch goalies =D

Fairweather is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:18 PM
  #724
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Thomas/Rask Bruins 2010/11
Did Rask manage to play at all then? I know Thomas got ventilated a couple times by the Bolts but I don't think he was ever pulled. The option being there was probably nice, though.

VinnyC is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:24 PM
  #725
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 7,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
IMO, you ride the hot hand. When one falters, you can always defer to the other. I think the Wild used that to some success in 2003, going back and forth between Fernandez and Roloson. Maybe even the Hurricanes with Weekes and Irbe in 2002, IIRC?
The most recent comparable in terms of quality is Beezer and Richter IMO. Rask and Thomas never really bounced back and forth. One was pretty much the starter for each of the last four years.

ginner classic is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.