HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Any opinions/fans of Mich Tech out there?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Kritty

vCash: 500
Any opinions/fans of Mich Tech out there?

I'm wondering if there are any Michigan Tech fans on the boards. I'm also wondering if any knowledgable college hockey fans having any opinions on how the team will do this year.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:00 PM
ttnorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
I'm wondering if there are any Michigan Tech fans on the boards. I'm also wondering if any knowledgable college hockey fans having any opinions on how the team will do this year.
Well I am neither a Michigan Tech fan nor a big WCHA follower being back east but that never stopped me from sharing an opinion.

What jumps out is that they bring nearly everyone back. Their forwards won't overwhelm you but except for Minnesota and NoDak, Mich Tech will score about as much as the rest. The entire top 6 defense is back including a young promising talent (Clay Wilson) who figures to improve a level this year. Can't say I know much about Ellsworth in the pipes but by the numbers, he appears to be a below average WCHA goalie but not a big liability. He is already 23 so I am afraid, what you see is what you get with him.

All in all, they should be more competitive than last year. I figure anywhere from 5th to 8th.

Now if you want to read what some real fans think, check out the Mich Tech thread at the USCHO forum.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:06 AM
guinness
those were the days

MTU was aways an enigma when I went there (graduated in May), every time they seemed like they take a step forward, they'd take two steps back. A new coach will hopefuly help, he was an assistant on Ferris and Cornell. They need a lot of work on defense, getting some big name scorers would help too, I thought they've had good goaltending concidering (Rogers, Ellsworth, etc). They've got the tools for building a good team, the development center at the SDC, funding from alums), they just need to improve recruiting.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
MTU was aways an enigma when I went there (graduated in May), every time they seemed like they take a step forward, they'd take two steps back. A new coach will hopefuly help, he was an assistant on Ferris and Cornell. They need a lot of work on defense, getting some big name scorers would help too, I thought they've had good goaltending concidering (Rogers, Ellsworth, etc). They've got the tools for building a good team, the development center at the SDC, funding from alums), they just need to improve recruiting.
They have a couple of forwards coming in this year that I think will address those scoring needs. Those two are Taggart Desmet and Tyler Skworchinski. Desmet was a big scorer in junior but was redshirted last season. A fresh start this year could make for a good offensive player. As for Skworchinski, he tore up the Manitoba league last year. He was the top player for pretty much the entire season. I think he will surprise alot of people this year, granted he gets the playing time.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Doggone Dawg

I think that if the MTU team gets some help on defence this year that the team can prosper under Colin Murphy, last year's leading scorer. Together with Desmet they could pack an awesome punch. Need big help on D though.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Well first off, Jamie Russell will bring alot to this team, and if he could for MTU what he did for Cornell, thne MTU should be a much inproved team this season.

I like Cam Ellsworth and have been impressed with the way he's able to (sometime) single-handedly save MTU's bacon. On some nights the man literally carries that team. If MTU expects to be able to compete in the ultra-competitive WCHA, he's gonna need help from the defence more often this season.

Clay Wilson is an up-n-comer who I'm expecting great things from this season, and I hope he doesn't disappoint.

Some other MTU players I'm gonna be watching this season are Justin Brown and Colin Murphy. Both are leaders on the team and should do as well as if not better than what they did last season. At least I hope so.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Doggone Dawg

I think that Ellsworth is a weakness, he cannot be relied on to be steady.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Doggone Dawg

How about Colin Murphy last nite....4 goals in a comeback win behind 3 in the third.

Closed Thread