HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

More cuts

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 03:36 PM
rbrooks

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rbrooks Send a message via AIM to rbrooks
More cuts

Assigned right wing Frank Banham, left wings
Frantisek Lukes and Mike Stutzel, centers Jason Jaspers and
Martin Podlesak, defenseman Nikos Tselios and goaltender David
LeNeveu to Springfield of the American Hockey League.

Old
09-22-2003, 04:03 PM
WhalerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrooks
hows taffe looking? kolanos?

I really like Kolanos this year, whats your view of the possibility of a comeback for this kid?

my worry is that they wont be able to get him enough ice time, seems like a fairly deep team. (though not very deep in great talent)

Old
09-22-2003, 05:06 PM
hbk

Quote:

Wow. Some of those names seem to have been sent down early. LeNeveu for one. I thought he would have gotten a couple of periods. Jaspers is a big surprise as well. I thought he'd be one of the later ones. This move sends a huge message about his future in the organization.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:40 PM
c9orf

I understand that our lack of depth on defence (or at least lack of *quality* depth) means that guys like Bezina and Schutte will get longer looks, but what the heck are the Ferraro brothers still doing up?! Keeping them instead of McLachlan and Podlesak, who would benefit more from the intense scrutiny and training, makes no sense to me.

The thought that the Ferraros might make the opening day roster is terrifying - are we really that weak?

Old
09-22-2003, 06:20 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad+Croutons
I understand that our lack of depth on defence (or at least lack of *quality* depth) means that guys like Bezina and Schutte will get longer looks, but what the heck are the Ferraro brothers still doing up?! Keeping them instead of McLachlan and Podlesak, who would benefit more from the intense scrutiny and training, makes no sense to me.

The thought that the Ferraros might make the opening day roster is terrifying - are we really that weak?
The Ferraros aren't going to make the squad, but they might be emergency callups... The prospects already had the tourney to be evaluated; mgmt is likely using camp simply as a means to decide who is capable of impacting at the NHL level -- ESPECIALLY in a limited role. You know what the regulars are going to bring -- what about the guys you just signed this offseason and were too old for the tourney and have played a grand total of two games *actually, I think it might be 1 game for the twins* It gives management a chance to see if they are capable of being called up and not hurting the team.
Also, the fact that McLachlan and Podlesak are assigned to the A doesn't mean they will be under less scrutiny or less training. In fact it may work the other way around. If I have 40 guys in camp, how much time do I have to see what each one brings in a game situation? Not much. By assigning the players you know aren't going to make the team and will not likely be recalled to Springfield, you could argue that in a smaller camp under a capable staff *this is a question mark at the pro- and farm-level imo* you'll get a better impression of their abilities.

Another note: If McLachlan and Podlesak safely escaped this latest round of cuts, would you honestly expect them to make the opening roster? Then why assume the Ferraros will? They'll get longer looks because they've been in the organization for a grand total of 3 mnths all of it offseason. They want to evaluate them. You could argue McLachlan hasn't been in the organization long, but what he brings to the table is pretty straight forward.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:50 PM
c9orf

I understand that depth guys like CF and PF need to be evaluated, at least in a cursory fashion, but come on - the Yotes knew what they brought to the table when they traded for them, and they aren't going to get any better. Yes, the team needs to know how well they mesh with the projected roster players, but I think it's unfortunate that this is being done at the expense of giving Podlesak (in particular) a longer look. Apparently they already know he isn't even close, which is unfortunate. McLachlan is a maturing prospect who hasn't been in the system long, so I expected him to be evaluated more rigourously. Perhaps he really is quite one-dimensional, as you suggest.

No, I don't really expect CF and PF to make the team. If management wants to tank this season and try for a high pick, they'll need to be a bit more subtle than that.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Suka

vCash:
Mike Stutzel, and Martin Podlesak are "hurt"or recovering(wasnt McLachlan "hurt" too?).... sending them to springy will give them TIME to heal fully and we all know that podlesak cant be rushed after what he went through last season! Alas when he is better and able to play again he will be able to use springy as "re-hab" assignment.... I thought he was going to make the team.... (no i havent seen him play, but I heard great things, till he was hurt!)
~ Whats the deal with them keeping Knyazev???? He didnt even play in the 2nd pre-season game....??? Any ideas?
thanks

Old
09-23-2003, 06:11 AM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka
Mike Stutzel, and Martin Podlesak are "hurt"or recovering(wasnt McLachlan "hurt" too?).... sending them to springy will give them TIME to heal fully and we all know that podlesak cant be rushed after what he went through last season! Alas when he is better and able to play again he will be able to use springy as "re-hab" assignment.... I thought he was going to make the team.... (no i havent seen him play, but I heard great things, till he was hurt!)
~ Whats the deal with them keeping Knyazev???? He didnt even play in the 2nd pre-season game....??? Any ideas?
thanks
You can't play them all suka. With 13 Dmen now 12 Dmen in camp you can only dress 6 of them for a game. The fact he played the first game and is still there is a good sign for him and there is a good chance he will get another game before a decision is made on him.

Old
09-23-2003, 07:08 AM
Suka

vCash:
ok thanks for the info.. i was just curious as to what peoples thoughts were!

Old
09-23-2003, 12:18 PM
_Del_

Quote:
I understand that depth guys like CF and PF need to be evaluated, at least in a cursory fashion, but come on - the Yotes knew what they brought to the table when they traded for them, and they aren't going to get any better. Yes, the team needs to know how well they mesh with the projected roster players, but I think it's unfortunate that this is being done at the expense of giving Podlesak (in particular) a longer look. Apparently they already know he isn't even close, which is unfortunate. McLachlan is a maturing prospect who hasn't been in the system long, so I expected him to be evaluated more rigourously. Perhaps he really is quite one-dimensional, as you suggest.

No, I don't really expect CF and PF to make the team. If management wants to tank this season and try for a high pick, they'll need to be a bit more subtle than that.
I reread my post and it's much more harsh than was my intention, lol or perhaps I'm becoming grumpier in my 'old age'. Anywho, I don't think there is any likelihood for Podelsak or McLachlan to be recalled so they went to work with Marty and his staff sooner. That's my take. They can still get a good looksee with them on the farm this year.

Old
09-23-2003, 08:27 PM
c9orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_
I reread my post and it's much more harsh than was my intention, lol or perhaps I'm becoming grumpier in my 'old age'. Anywho, I don't think there is any likelihood for Podelsak or McLachlan to be recalled so they went to work with Marty and his staff sooner. That's my take. They can still get a good looksee with them on the farm this year.
Well, perhaps I'm just mellowing in *my* old age, but it didn't seem out of line to me! And in any case, I can't argue. There are plenty more cuts to come, after all.

Then again, I'm going to the game tomorrow night (here in Portland), and if the Ferraros stink it up out there I may have some additional comments...

Old
09-23-2003, 10:00 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Well, perhaps I'm just mellowing in *my* old age, but it didn't seem out of line to me! And in any case, I can't argue. There are plenty more cuts to come, after all.

Then again, I'm going to the game tomorrow night (here in Portland), and if the Ferraros stink it up out there I may have some additional comments...
I'd love to hear ANY comments no the game from someone who was there -- even if it's news that the Ferraros won't make the final cut lol

Old
09-26-2003, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Phoenix Coyotes - Assigned centers Chris Ferraro and Erik Westrum,
right wing Peter Ferraro, goaltneder Jean-Marc Pelletier, and
defensemen Goran Bezina, Igor Knyazev, Michael Schutte, and Mike
Wilson to Springfield of the American Hockey League.
Now the roster is down to 29.

Boucher, Bierk, Burke
Ference, Simpson, Tanabe, Mara, Suchy, Hulse, Vaananen, Spiller, Helmer
Cleary, Doan, Gratton, Hrdina, Johnson, Kolanos, Langkow, McLeod, Nash, Nagy, Nazarov, Radivojevic, Savage, Sillinger, Sjostrom, Taffe, and L Wilson.

Old
09-26-2003, 01:11 PM
Waldo

Kiel McLeod and Sjostrom may still be there ...... ?

Old
09-26-2003, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
Kiel McLeod and Sjostrom may still be there ...... ?
Yeah, you're right.

Old
09-26-2003, 06:39 PM
eye

As much as it hurts me to admit it Vince aka CT appears to be right on the his prediction that all Yotes rookies will remain in Springfield this year. The writing was on the wall. Not that any of these cuts are a big suprise but the biggest suprise is that there are no suprises. Follow me?

Old
09-27-2003, 11:21 AM
LT

I was hoping to see some of their prospects get a shot but in reality I doubt any of them are an upgrade on there current starting roster. I mean who could they beat out, the only player I don't want to see playing is Nazarov. The guy's suppose to be our enforcer, pleeease!!! The guys a punching bag. He doesn't intimidate anybody. Ya, he scored a goal in pre-season, big woop! Just watch him once the season gets going, he disappears. Trade him or buy him out.

If the obvious players start the season, Cleary and Naz should be kept to rotate in and out depending on injuries and how the team plays. In the past Wilson and Rad have been in and out of the lineup because of mediocre play. Both Cleary and Naz are LW players, so I would prefer to see Sjostrom a RW player be the other spare but teams generally prefer a young guy like that plays and not sit, that is why he will be sent down. Taffe isn't going to be an upgrade for any of the center positions so unless there's an injury he's going down.

Barring injuries the team is what you'de expect. I doubt you will see any of the young guys get a shot this year, maybe next. I still think Kolanos, Sjostrom and Cleary would make an awesome third line.

Old
09-27-2003, 03:16 PM
roadrunner

It's my day off, and I'm bored and out of beer. So at the risk of posting the obvious, here are the starting lines for this season, as I understand them:

MOST LIKELY OTHER COMBOS

Nagy-Langkow-Johnson Nagy-Langkow-Doan
Hrdina-Gratton-Doan Savage-Kolanos-Johnson
Savage-Kolanos-Radivojevic Hrdina-Gratton-Radivojevic
Nash-Sillinger-Wilson Nash-Sillinger-Wilson

Spares: Cleary, Nazarov Insert Nazarov at RW for goon control
Callups: Taffe, McLeod Insert Cleary at LW if he gets hot

Vaananen/Tanabe I could use your guy's input about
Mara/Ference other D combos.
Simpson/Suchy

Spare: Hulse
Callups: Helmer, Spiller

As far as goalies go, I would try to unload Boosh and go with the two "Burx". We now have 2 or 3 "goalies of the future" on the depth, which we did not when we traded for Boosh. I didn't see every game, but when I saw Zac Bierk play, he was pretty amazing.

Quick question about D pairings. Is it generally best to pair the two to complement each other's strengths/weaknesses? For instance, pairing Ossi (strong stay home) with Tanabe (O-minded) comes to mind. Just wondering if that is general practice?

Old
09-27-2003, 03:18 PM
roadrunner

Sorry about this last post...I was trying to do two columns. Sorry 'bout the mess!

Old
09-27-2003, 04:40 PM

Yeah, generally you are going to pair an offensive guy with a defensive guy to cover up the mistakes on the blueline. Sometimes you just end up with a shutdown pairing though as Suchy-Simpson has been in the past. Ference will likely cover Mara and Vaananen will cover Tanabe. Then we'll still end up with some combo of Hulse-Suchy-Simpson as a shutdown.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:19 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
Sorry about this last post...I was trying to do two columns. Sorry 'bout the mess!
If you want to make it understand spaces use [ code] and [/ code] tags around it.

like:

Code:
Nagy-Kow-Johnson          Nagy-Taffe-Sjostrom
Naz -Briere- Doan          Naz-McLeod-Podlesak

Old
09-28-2003, 06:47 AM
gibber1600

Quote:
Spiller may make the team. He is big, strong and no one wants to play against him.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:51 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber1600
Spiller may make the team. He is big, strong and no one wants to play against him.
And we have 7 guys ahead of him.
Personally, I'd rather him be a top pairing guy in Springfield than an every other day player in Phoenix.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:04 AM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
And we have 7 guys ahead of him.
Personally, I'd rather him be a top pairing guy in Springfield than an every other day player in Phoenix.
see game report on Canucks - Yotes exhibtion game. Then consider the 2004 CBA. No prospects will make this team or play more than the allowable amount of games for them to retain their rookie status. I now agree with Vince, we will not see any prospects making this team full time until the 2004 CBA is settled. It makes financial and player development sense if you think about it. e.g. If the Yotes kept Spiller this year and there is a lock out next year he would not be eligible for the AHL so he would have to sit at home for what could be a long long time.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
see game report on Canucks - Yotes exhibtion game. Then consider the 2004 CBA. No prospects will make this team or play more than the allowable amount of games for them to retain their rookie status. I now agree with Vince, we will not see any prospects making this team full time until the 2004 CBA is settled. It makes financial and player development sense if you think about it. e.g. If the Yotes kept Spiller this year and there is a lock out next year he would not be eligible for the AHL so he would have to sit at home for what could be a long long time.
Yeah, I've been saying this all summer long, and it explains some of these veteran signings. They are just trying to make it through this season, sure they'd like to win, but they want to make it to the new CBA with the best chance possible. If they play their younger guys now, they might not be waivers exempt in the new CBA, not to mention they might be lost in the labor dispute from development in the AHL.

Only guys like Kolanos who have proven too valuable not to play in the NHL, yet are waivers exempt at the moment, will find a spot on the Coyotes this year for the long haul. I'd even tend to say if we are decimated by injuries again, you'd see more veteran callups of Helmer, Wilson, Clearly, etc. than Taffe, Spiller, Schutte, etc.

Closed Thread