HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on the Flames after 5 games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 11:51 PM
  #1
scoringmachine
Registered User
 
scoringmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Thoughts on the Flames after 5 games

I feel the Flames play better five-on-five but fail miserably when the get a penalty. My reason is on five-on-five they do a good job of taking away potential scoring chances. On the penalty kill they try too hard to go after the player with the puck and forget the rest of the players. This causes confusion between the players to stop a good scoring chances as they are all focused on the puck. Also when they get scored on it looks like the team gets scared and make poor decisions on the next two shifts. They need to learn to relax and not overdo things and play a simple game that helps them create more scoring chances rather than trying to do too much with the puck. After taking the lead against Chicago they started to play like they were on penalty kill and looking like they were lost giving Chicago a great chance to tie the game which they did. They need to work on their penalty kill to where everyone knows their role and how to prevent good scoring chances and how to keep their composer when they get scored on so that they do not lose focus a d play their simple game.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:02 AM
  #2
MuffinMerc
Registered User
 
MuffinMerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,934
vCash: 291
It's been 6 games.

I love the way the Flames played last game, and it seems as though everyone, except Kipper, have found their groove. Sure Iggy and Cammy have no goals, but they're looking good. We need to learn how to carry the puck into the the zone while on the PP, or at least dump and chase. If the Flames play like they did against the Blackhawks, and just touch up on finishing their chances, and if Kipper finds his groove again, the team looks deadly.

MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:12 AM
  #3
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
It's been 6 games.

I love the way the Flames played last game, and it seems as though everyone, except Kipper, have found their groove. Sure Iggy and Cammy have no goals, but they're looking good. We need to learn how to carry the puck into the the zone while on the PP, or at least dump and chase. If the Flames play like they did against the Blackhawks, and just touch up on finishing their chances, and if Kipper finds his groove again, the team looks deadly.
I hope the team finds their groove, next game and doesn't stop... or the entire team never finds it at all. I don't want to see another mid season resurgence just to have the most amount of points out of the playoffs.

If they're going to suck, suck hard so we can do a quick rebuild, it shouldn't take Calgary more than a year to be almost fully rebuilt.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:24 AM
  #4
mjw22
Registered User
 
mjw22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: moosejaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
It's been 6 games.

I love the way the Flames played last game, and it seems as though everyone, except Kipper, have found their groove. Sure Iggy and Cammy have no goals, but they're looking good. We need to learn how to carry the puck into the the zone while on the PP, or at least dump and chase. If the Flames play like they did against the Blackhawks, and just touch up on finishing their chances, and if Kipper finds his groove again, the team looks deadly.
Cammy and Kipper look dead

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:25 AM
  #5
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,340
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
Cammy and Kipper look dead
Cammy has at least been trying to get shots through and create offense, I think he'll be fine once he hits a groove

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:47 AM
  #6
LukeD
On Fire
 
LukeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Cammy and Kipper, I am disappoint.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:58 AM
  #7
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post

If they're going to suck, suck hard so we can do a quick rebuild, it shouldn't take Calgary more than a year to be almost fully rebuilt.
With the majority of their core aging, and a less than average stable of propsects, I don't see how this is possible.

Calagry can likely muddle through as long as they want.

But by "fully rebuilt" you mean they have a new young core which is either in their prime of quickly reaching their prime, capable of competing with the leagues best, I don't see how that is possible from one draft.

If so, every team could (and would) be rebuilt in a year.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
  #8
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
With the majority of their core aging, and a less than average stable of propsects, I don't see how this is possible.

Calagry can likely muddle through as long as they want.

But by "fully rebuilt" you mean they have a new young core which is either in their prime of quickly reaching their prime, capable of competing with the leagues best, I don't see how that is possible from one draft.

If so, every team could (and would) be rebuilt in a year.
Calgary currently has 9 forwards, 5 defensemen, and one goalie signed for next season. Included in that are Kipper and Cammalleri. If The Flames traded those two and Iginla, they are suddenly at ~$28m in cap space for next season minus any carryover from acquisitions in trades. One guy that I would leave space for (around $5.5m to be safe) is Valtteri Filppula. Stick him where Stajan is.

Here's what a potential roster might look like:

FORWARDS
Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) / Valtteri Filppula ($5.000m) / Roman Cervenka ($2.750m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Alex Tanguay ($3.500m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Blake Comeau ($1.500m) / Blair Jones ($0.650m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)
Lance Bouma ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.000m)
Cory Sarich ($2.000m) / T.J. Brodie ($1.000m)
Derek Smith ($0.775m) /

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Leland Irving ($0.875m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,156,667; BONUSES: $531,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,674,583

Obviously, that would involve signing Filppula and bringing back Regehr, plus trading for Schneider. In this scenario the Flames would likely have picked up a good level of picks and/or prospects. If the Flames are smart about it, they would deal (given the option) for high-level prospects who are proving they will stick in the NHL as advertised. Definitely better than an assortment of picks that could turn out to be nothing.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:42 AM
  #9
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
With the majority of their core aging, and a less than average stable of propsects, I don't see how this is possible.

Calagry can likely muddle through as long as they want.

But by "fully rebuilt" you mean they have a new young core which is either in their prime of quickly reaching their prime, capable of competing with the leagues best, I don't see how that is possible from one draft.

If so, every team could (and would) be rebuilt in a year.
Look at it this way:
Backlund, Baertschi, Cervenka, Hudler, Ramo and Brodie are all under 30, with the majority of them being under 27.

All have the ability to be elite level talents in this league. Backlund, finally, after years of just kind of being there, is turning it up and is firing on all cylinders. It's just a matter of time before he blows up for points with the chances he's getting and skills he's demonstrating. Cervenka and Hudler are ridiculous together, it's crazy how much they feed off each other... IF they could put a center on that line or a skilled winger and shift Cervenka down the middle.. God knows what this line could do. Baertschi has all kinds of skill, he demonstrates it well keeping in mind he's still a young guy in this league.

If you fail this year, means you're trading assets. Jarome, Cammy and maybe even Kipper get shipped off at or around the deadline for some high end talent.

In all cases, all three of these players should demand a high end talent, or first round pick and mid tier talent. Also, there are two teams I can currently think of on top of my head that require some much better defense, in Philly and NYI.

If Calgary manages to suck hard enough, it means they should get a very good pick at the draft, and should take one of: MacKinnon, Jones or Barkov. At the end of the day, each one of them fills a huge roll going in.

Flames have been rebuilding on the fly, what most people don't see, I truly believe that it wouldn't take past the 14-15 season to be highly competitive again.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:49 AM
  #10
Zoombie
Registered User
 
Zoombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 893
vCash: 50
Plus we get Jankowski in for the '15-'16 season right around when our 2013,14,15 draft picks are maturing so we should be able to field a team by then, if we can find a goaltender.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:19 PM
  #11
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Calgary currently has 9 forwards, 5 defensemen, and one goalie signed for next season. Included in that are Kipper and Cammalleri. If The Flames traded those two and Iginla, they are suddenly at ~$28m in cap space for next season minus any carryover from acquisitions in trades. One guy that I would leave space for (around $5.5m to be safe) is Valtteri Filppula. Stick him where Stajan is.

Here's what a potential roster might look like:

FORWARDS
Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) / Valtteri Filppula ($5.000m) / Roman Cervenka ($2.750m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Alex Tanguay ($3.500m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Blake Comeau ($1.500m) / Blair Jones ($0.650m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)
Lance Bouma ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.000m)
Cory Sarich ($2.000m) / T.J. Brodie ($1.000m)
Derek Smith ($0.775m) /

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Leland Irving ($0.875m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,156,667; BONUSES: $531,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,674,583

Obviously, that would involve signing Filppula and bringing back Regehr, plus trading for Schneider. In this scenario the Flames would likely have picked up a good level of picks and/or prospects. If the Flames are smart about it, they would deal (given the option) for high-level prospects who are proving they will stick in the NHL as advertised. Definitely better than an assortment of picks that could turn out to be nothing.
Firstly, I don't think that is a very good team.

Secondly, Cervanka is a UFA after this season. If he's as good as everyone around her thinks he is, he'll cost a lot more to sign I would guess.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:26 PM
  #12
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,217
vCash: 50
If Im Feaster I'm signing Cervenka to an extension already

Sean Monahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
  #13
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,269
vCash: 50
My thoughts:

Chris Butler sucks.
Quadruple shift Backlund.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
  #14
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Look at it this way:
Backlund, Baertschi, Cervenka, Hudler, Ramo and Brodie are all under 30, with the majority of them being under 27.

All have the ability to be elite level talents in this league. Backlund, finally, after years of just kind of being there, is turning it up and is firing on all cylinders. It's just a matter of time before he blows up for points with the chances he's getting and skills he's demonstrating. Cervenka and Hudler are ridiculous together, it's crazy how much they feed off each other... IF they could put a center on that line or a skilled winger and shift Cervenka down the middle.. God knows what this line could do. Baertschi has all kinds of skill, he demonstrates it well keeping in mind he's still a young guy in this league.

If you fail this year, means you're trading assets. Jarome, Cammy and maybe even Kipper get shipped off at or around the deadline for some high end talent.

In all cases, all three of these players should demand a high end talent, or first round pick and mid tier talent. Also, there are two teams I can currently think of on top of my head that require some much better defense, in Philly and NYI.

If Calgary manages to suck hard enough, it means they should get a very good pick at the draft, and should take one of: MacKinnon, Jones or Barkov. At the end of the day, each one of them fills a huge roll going in.

Flames have been rebuilding on the fly, what most people don't see, I truly believe that it wouldn't take past the 14-15 season to be highly competitive again.

Wat?

Seriously Brodie is likely a top 4 guy max, Cerevenka is likely a top 6 guy, or even a bottom 6 guy on some teams.

Beartchi is the only one who could actually be ELITE.

The Rest are regular NHL'rs.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
  #15
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 1303
IMO. Blow it up already. This team blows, core blows, i dont even care if we are a 9th place team, blow it up and rebuild already. I hate the way this team is run.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
  #16
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Wat?

Seriously Brodie is likely a top 4 guy max, Cerevenka is likely a top 6 guy, or even a bottom 6 guy on some teams.

Beartchi is the only one who could actually be ELITE.

The Rest are regular NHL'rs.
Baertchi, Cervenka, Hudler, Backlund all have the ability for top 6 roles. I shouldn't have used elite, but there is strong talent there.
Brodie is playing on the top two pairs, and is really gelling well with Wideman, he has the ability to be a strong puck moving top 4 guys. Again not elite, probably a bad word, but strong player.
Finally Ramo is an unknown, but if he can transfer a bit of the K to the NHL, he's elite. Like, legit, Elite.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
  #17
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty
 
3rdEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CoRD's house
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,683
vCash: 50
We seem to be getting better each game, with the exception of Kipper. It really goes to show how much we've depended on him all these years. It also goes to show without him, we are last place team.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say; get it together and make the playoffs, or just finish last. I will NEVER cheer for them to fail, but if we miss the playoffs for a 4th straight year, just get that lottery pick. Trade Iggy and Kipper to a contender, and lets clean up in this "deep" draft year.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
  #18
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
We seem to be getting better each game, with the exception of Kipper. It really goes to show how much we've depended on him all these years. It also goes to show without him, we are last place team.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say; get it together and make the playoffs, or just finish last. I will NEVER cheer for them to fail, but if we miss the playoffs for a 4th straight year, just get that lottery pick. Trade Iggy and Kipper to a contender, and lets clean up in this "deep" draft year.
If Irving comes in and even plays half decent I think it shows that Kipper was helped alot by the systems we have used previously the guy has been terrible this year. I hope we give Irving a start soon because I think it is the only thing that can wake Kipper up is if it looks like someone else can get it done.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
  #19
scoringmachine
Registered User
 
scoringmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Last night a friend and I were talking about the the Flames and feel that the reason that Iginla and Kipper have not been traded is due to the fact that with those to gone it will be hard to fill seats at the Saddledome. Calgary needs to take that risk if they want to stay competitive in the tough Northwest division. When trading Iginla, Feaster should let all the Gms know he is available and Feaster will get some good offer and then tell Iginla what teams made the best offer and if he likes any of those teams then Feaster can pull the trigger and make the trade. For Kipper they should keep him for part of next year and make Ramo the backup. Once the team feels Ramo has regained his NHL form trade Kipper and make Irving the backup. Then you get rid of two players and start your rebuild.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
  #20
MuffinMerc
Registered User
 
MuffinMerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,934
vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
If Irving comes in and even plays half decent I think it shows that Kipper was helped alot by the systems we have used previously the guy has been terrible this year. I hope we give Irving a start soon because I think it is the only thing that can wake Kipper up is if it looks like someone else can get it done.
Agreed.
Plus I really like Irving. I hope he gets some games.

MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.