HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 in OT: Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 12:24 AM
  #302
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Staples has the chances as 19-13 for the Canucks.

And both of the Oilers goals were kinda fluky too.
I'd rate it a little closer than that, I think they had a few more, but it's not like they outchanced us 2-to-1, which is often what would happen last year.

Eberle, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, and Schultz all had chances to really ice the game.

Our first line can't buy a goal right now but they are able to generate chances against any line in the league now, Sedins, Thornton, etc. doesn't matter anymore.

They're simply not burying chances they normally do.

We were idiotic getting the puck into the zone on the PP tonight too, that was an easy 4-5 scoring chances flushed down the toilet.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:24 AM
  #303
McDNicks17
Moderator
Leon!
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,212
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
People are severely overestimating the Shots against stat.

Last year the Canucks were 21st, Phoenix was 28th, Ottawa was 29th.

Oilers were 19th. Hmm.
You conveniently forgot to mention that both Vancouver and Ottawa were top 5 teams offensively and Phoenix had a top 5 goaltender.

We had neither last year and look where we ended up.

Does it look like we'll have either of those this year? Not when we can't score at 5 on 5 or allow 40 shots a game.

McDNicks17 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:25 AM
  #304
McCrumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Horcoff is overpaid, doesn't score enough and shouldn't be captain. But that doesn't mean he's useless on this team. Far from it. In fact, I'll call it now. He won't be bought out this summer unless something unexpected happens with the salary cap that forces the Oilers to move somebody (and even then I believe it's unlikely).
This may be so but if we are panicking over losing a player like Horcoff then our team is in real trouble. Every team has injuries and does their best to battle through them. Ottawa is in a tough position when it comes to an injured center, not Edmonton. Let's see how they respond in comparison to us.

I was expecting us to challenge for a playoff spot this year and at least play the majority of the season with games being meaningful. I still hold the team accountable to that and I bet they feel the same. Screw these excuses 9 games in. I bet Ottawa won't be making any. Why should we?

McCrumb is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:25 AM
  #305
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!
 
Dazed and Confused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gothenburg. Sweden
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Might be time to try Gagner with Eberle and Hall again. Put Nuge alongside Yakupov to see how that works.
With Horcoff gone I don't think that's an option, as he would be the most likely one to put between 4 and 14. Right now it might be worth a try putting Smyth back with 93 and 14, and loading up the Gagner line.

Yak goes on the 3rd/4th (who cares which is which...) and is basicly given free reign there. See if he and Jones can generate some goals going against lower end players

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Lander-Paajarvi
Jones(?)-VV-Yakupov

Dazed and Confused is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:27 AM
  #306
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!
 
x GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 29,531
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
You conveniently forgot to mention that both Vancouver and Ottawa were top 5 teams offensively and Phoenix had a top 5 goaltender.

We had neither last year and look where we ended up.

Does it look like we'll have either of those this year? Not when we can't score at 5 on 5 or allow 40 shots a game.
Ottawa plays in the East. Defense is at a premium there.

And Mike smith is not a top 5 goaltender. We all know that team trapped their way to 1-0 victories.

and anyone thinking we have a top 5 offense or goaltending is dreaming...

Also for all their struggles, we're 13th in GA.


Last edited by x GreatKeith: 02-05-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: One more thing.
x GreatKeith is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:27 AM
  #307
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup
 
McCupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: United States
Posts: 21,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Out shot in 7 of 9 games
2 goals or fewer in 6 of 9
24th in shots for
30th in shots against
28th in 5v5 Goals for/Against

At some point Devan Dubnyk is going to stop having a 0.925 sv% and this team will hit the basement again. Thanks god for our great PP and PK, but jesus this team is as bad as ever.

So god damn ****ing frustrating to watch.
This sums it up for me. The record is masking a lot of deficiencies that this team has, it's being carried by a hot goalie and very good penalty killing and powerplay at least up until recently. It sounds an awful lot like early last season, doesn't it? The one difference is that the goal differential at this point last season was greater.
Even their wins have been struggles.

I can't think of one area that this team has improved in. Scoring from Yakupov and Schultz otherwise, this team has the same exact problems that it had last season.


Last edited by McCupofOil: 02-05-2013 at 12:33 AM.
McCupofOil is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:28 AM
  #308
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I agree. Despite the shot differential, this game was no dominant performance by the Nucks. If someone wants to argue that both teams played poorly, then fine, there's an argument to be made there. But the "men against boys" stuff sounds like nonsense to me (other than faceoff circle, where the Oilers have been dominated by every team since they got rid of Stoll and Brodziak and replaced them with nobody).
In was men against boys because one team looked relatively composed despite trailing in the game (and going goalless on the PP) and the other looked flustered and timid all night.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:29 AM
  #309
Suxnet
Registered User
 
Suxnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
perfect post. People are being fooled to thinking this team has looked good this year. They haven't, they have been severely outplayed in almost every game. I understand that it's a process, but a lot of us, myself included, thought that they were a little further along in the process they actually are. Those stats will eventually equal to a team that is bottom 5 again, it's as simple as that. Frustrating is the perfect word. Now you throw in some key injuries to half of our centre men and our only physical dman (sorry Lady, you try, but you rarely hurt anyone) and things will most likely get worse before they will get better.

To start the year, everyone said the Oil would score plenty, but their team D and goaltending would be their downfall. Turns out DD has looked pretty darn good, but they are far from an offensive powerhouse, and our team D is atrocious. Heart isn't the question IMO, it's game plan, and playing smart. At least it's a short year, maybe we can end up with Barkov, a big, strong centre with offensive skill, already playing against men and producing. Obviously, some big changes are going to have to be made this offseason. I think Tambo's time should be over, time to bring a guy who has a vision and some balls.
Just a couple of things. Smid and Petry are pretty physical. You don't need to destroy guys like Fistric does to be considered physical. Also, I think our team D is much improved but our offense is terrible. Sustained offensive pressure has been very minimal in a lot of the games and well, when you don't have the puck, you can't score and you end up defending more often than not. The Oilers can score on the PP and get some quick goals off the rush but they need that cycle game some teams have to really generate quality offensive chances.

Looking at this year's roster, I would have never thought that we would be lacking offense...again. The top line has been just an utter failure so far.

Suxnet is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:29 AM
  #310
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
In was men against boys because one team looked relatively composed despite trailing in the game (and going goalless on the PP) and the other looked flustered and timid all night.
Canucks weren't particularly impressive tonight. They are fortunate Luongo stood tall on that penalty shot. They threw a ton of pucks at the net and got lucky with two of them and then burned Eberle for flying the zone, which is exactly what a veteran team does to a younger team.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:30 AM
  #311
McDNicks17
Moderator
Leon!
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,212
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Ottawa plays in the East. Defense is at a premium there.

And Mike smith is not a top 5 goaltender. We all know that team trapped their way to 1-0 victories.

and anyone thinking we have a top 5 offense or goaltending is dreaming...

Also for all their struggles, we're 13th in GA.
No one is talking about our GA now. We're talking about GA at this rate of shots against when Dubnyk inevitably cools down.

McDNicks17 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
  #312
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites
 
McOilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,514
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I can't think of one area that this team has improved in. Scoring from Yakupov and Schultz otherwise, this team has the same exact problems that it had last season.
That can't be all surprising can it?

We literally only added Yakupov, Schultz and Fistric to last years squad...

__________________
<-- Credit goes to Joel Ward
McOilbleeder is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
  #313
Kepler 186f
Red Shifted
 
Kepler 186f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by subnet View Post
Dubnyk was good.

Hemsky NEVER passes to Yak

EVERY other top 6 must think they're 'Mr. unsustainable - Eberle' - and tries to make perfect and cutesy plays rather than shooting it at the net. We need more shots!

Too bad the Nordic line saw limited minutes.
Go to the 11 second mark here.

Colo/Edm

Kepler 186f is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
  #314
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!
 
x GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 29,531
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
No one is talking about our GA now. We're talking about GA at this rate of shots against when Dubnyk inevitably cools down.
Just like how Dubnyk cooled off late last year?

Dubnyk is not Khabibulin. Sure he's not going to keep up a .920 sv% of whatever it is, but he's not going to fall that far.

x GreatKeith is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
  #315
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smytty94 View Post
This may be so but if we are panicking over losing a player like Horcoff then our team is in real trouble. Every team has injuries and does their best to battle through them. Ottawa is in a tough position when it comes to an injured center, not Edmonton. Let's see how they respond in comparison to us.

I was expecting us to challenge for a playoff spot this year and at least play the majority of the season with games being meaningful. I still hold the team accountable to that and I bet they feel the same. Screw these excuses 9 games in. I bet Ottawa won't be making any. Why should we?
They're probably one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to depth though. In particular, defense and center are weak point on this team. Tambo made no attempts to address this issues in the offseason (other than JSchultz), so no, I'm not surprised that losing Horcoff, Belanger, and Fistric would be very damaging to this team.

As for Ottawa, I do think they are in big trouble without Spezza. Their playoffs hopes are probably over now.

Asher is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
  #316
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
This sums it up for me. The record is masking a lot of deficiencies that this team has, it's being carried but a hot goalie and very good penalty killing and powerplay at least up until recently. It sounds an awful lot like early last season, doesn't it? The one difference is that the goal differential at this point last season was greater.
Even their wins have been struggles.

I can't think of one area that this team has improved in. Scoring from Yakupov and Schultz otherwise, this team has the same exact problems that it had last season.
I would say the 1st line can now pin other teams in their zone at will at times now, they just aren't burying chances right now, whereas they were early last year. Very rarely last year would we be able to pin lines the Thornton or Sedin line in their own zone with the kid line, but this year it's really not a big deal.

And Hemsky's been moderately better this year. Gagner is improved a bit too, but I think it's somewhat overstated. Both Hemsky and Gagner are not utilizing Yakupov properly either.

Dubnyk has not been as good as Khabby was early last year, Khabby was superhuman, Duby's let in a few softies despite facing a lot of shots.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
  #317
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Canucks weren't particularly impressive tonight. They are fortunate Luongo stood tall on that penalty shot. They threw a ton of pucks at the net and got lucky with two of them and then burned Eberle for flying the zone, which is exactly what a veteran team does to a younger team.
Well, that's what good teams do. They win when they're not playing particularly well. They also learn from those games and don't make those efforts a habit.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
  #318
McDNicks17
Moderator
Leon!
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,212
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Just like how Dubnyk cooled off late last year?

Dubnyk is not Khabibulin. Sure he's not going to keep up a .920 sv% of whatever it is, but he's not going to fall that far.
Doesn't matter how much he cools down when we're allowing this many shots against.

McDNicks17 is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:35 AM
  #319
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
In was men against boys because one team looked relatively composed despite trailing in the game (and going goalless on the PP) and the other looked flustered and timid all night.
I think the loss of composure was trying to patch together new lines at the last second. Hell, even Yak took a faceoff at one point. Everybody was out of their comfort zone tonight.

Asher is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:35 AM
  #320
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!
 
x GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 29,531
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Doesn't matter how much he cools down when we're allowing this many shots against.
I think you're overstating the importance of SA too much. The Canucks didn't exactly blow us away with many high quality scoring chances. Most of their shots were clappers from the point into Dubnyk's stomach. If the opposition gets 40 of those a night, is it really that big of a deal?

x GreatKeith is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:35 AM
  #321
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 36,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, that's what good teams do. They win when they're not playing particularly well. They also learn from those games and don't make those efforts a habit.
And we were probably 19 seconds away from doing the same. Eberle makes a stupid move to fly the zone looking for a breakaway.

That's the difference between winning and losing in this league, it's not the huge chasm it's made out to be. Young players will make a stupid play there, a 25-year-old Eberle probably doesn't do that.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:36 AM
  #322
Suxnet
Registered User
 
Suxnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
That can't be all surprising can it?

We literally only added Yakupov, Schultz and Fistric to last years squad...
I was thinking we'd actually be able to score 5 on 5 this year but it looks like we still need more 1st overall talent.

Suxnet is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:37 AM
  #323
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup
 
McCupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: United States
Posts: 21,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
That can't be all surprising can it?

We literally only added Yakupov, Schultz and Fistric to last years squad...
You would think that some of the existing players would have improved or that the different coaching would lead to an improved system but the team looks exactly like it did last season, it really does. They don't seem to be learning.
It is early in the season, but it's frustrating to see the same fundamental problems with this team year after year no matter what the personnel is.

McCupofOil is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
  #324
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,077
vCash: 500
I'm not buying the gap between a 22 year old player and a 25 year old player. There are too many dominant (very) young stars in this league now.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
  #325
McCrumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
They're probably one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to depth though. In particular, defense and center are weak point on this team. Tambo made no attempts to address this issues in the offseason (other than JSchultz), so no, I'm not surprised that losing Horcoff, Belanger, and Fistric would be very damaging to this team.

As for Ottawa, I do think they are in big trouble without Spezza. Their playoffs hopes are probably over now.
Can't really disagree with any of this. The key point is our lack of depth. I guess we just sit here and wait for the draft.

McCrumb is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.