HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 in OT: Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Staples has the chances as 19-13 for the Canucks.

And both of the Oilers goals were kinda fluky too.
I'd rate it a little closer than that, I think they had a few more, but it's not like they outchanced us 2-to-1, which is often what would happen last year.

Eberle, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, and Schultz all had chances to really ice the game.

Our first line can't buy a goal right now but they are able to generate chances against any line in the league now, Sedins, Thornton, etc. doesn't matter anymore.

They're simply not burying chances they normally do.

We were idiotic getting the puck into the zone on the PP tonight too, that was an easy 4-5 scoring chances flushed down the toilet.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:24 AM
McDNicks17
Leon!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
People are severely overestimating the Shots against stat.

Last year the Canucks were 21st, Phoenix was 28th, Ottawa was 29th.

Oilers were 19th. Hmm.
You conveniently forgot to mention that both Vancouver and Ottawa were top 5 teams offensively and Phoenix had a top 5 goaltender.

We had neither last year and look where we ended up.

Does it look like we'll have either of those this year? Not when we can't score at 5 on 5 or allow 40 shots a game.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:25 AM
McCrumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Horcoff is overpaid, doesn't score enough and shouldn't be captain. But that doesn't mean he's useless on this team. Far from it. In fact, I'll call it now. He won't be bought out this summer unless something unexpected happens with the salary cap that forces the Oilers to move somebody (and even then I believe it's unlikely).
This may be so but if we are panicking over losing a player like Horcoff then our team is in real trouble. Every team has injuries and does their best to battle through them. Ottawa is in a tough position when it comes to an injured center, not Edmonton. Let's see how they respond in comparison to us.

I was expecting us to challenge for a playoff spot this year and at least play the majority of the season with games being meaningful. I still hold the team accountable to that and I bet they feel the same. Screw these excuses 9 games in. I bet Ottawa won't be making any. Why should we?

Old
02-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Might be time to try Gagner with Eberle and Hall again. Put Nuge alongside Yakupov to see how that works.
With Horcoff gone I don't think that's an option, as he would be the most likely one to put between 4 and 14. Right now it might be worth a try putting Smyth back with 93 and 14, and loading up the Gagner line.

Yak goes on the 3rd/4th (who cares which is which...) and is basicly given free reign there. See if he and Jones can generate some goals going against lower end players

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Lander-Paajarvi
Jones(?)-VV-Yakupov

Old
02-05-2013, 12:27 AM
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
You conveniently forgot to mention that both Vancouver and Ottawa were top 5 teams offensively and Phoenix had a top 5 goaltender.

We had neither last year and look where we ended up.

Does it look like we'll have either of those this year? Not when we can't score at 5 on 5 or allow 40 shots a game.
Ottawa plays in the East. Defense is at a premium there.

And Mike smith is not a top 5 goaltender. We all know that team trapped their way to 1-0 victories.

and anyone thinking we have a top 5 offense or goaltending is dreaming...

Also for all their struggles, we're 13th in GA.

Last edited by x GreatKeith: 02-05-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: One more thing.
Old
02-05-2013, 12:27 AM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Out shot in 7 of 9 games
2 goals or fewer in 6 of 9
24th in shots for
30th in shots against
28th in 5v5 Goals for/Against

At some point Devan Dubnyk is going to stop having a 0.925 sv% and this team will hit the basement again. Thanks god for our great PP and PK, but jesus this team is as bad as ever.

So god damn ****ing frustrating to watch.
This sums it up for me. The record is masking a lot of deficiencies that this team has, it's being carried by a hot goalie and very good penalty killing and powerplay at least up until recently. It sounds an awful lot like early last season, doesn't it? The one difference is that the goal differential at this point last season was greater.
Even their wins have been struggles.

I can't think of one area that this team has improved in. Scoring from Yakupov and Schultz otherwise, this team has the same exact problems that it had last season.

Last edited by McCupofOil: 02-05-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old
02-05-2013, 12:28 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I agree. Despite the shot differential, this game was no dominant performance by the Nucks. If someone wants to argue that both teams played poorly, then fine, there's an argument to be made there. But the "men against boys" stuff sounds like nonsense to me (other than faceoff circle, where the Oilers have been dominated by every team since they got rid of Stoll and Brodziak and replaced them with nobody).
In was men against boys because one team looked relatively composed despite trailing in the game (and going goalless on the PP) and the other looked flustered and timid all night.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Suxnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
perfect post. People are being fooled to thinking this team has looked good this year. They haven't, they have been severely outplayed in almost every game. I understand that it's a process, but a lot of us, myself included, thought that they were a little further along in the process they actually are. Those stats will eventually equal to a team that is bottom 5 again, it's as simple as that. Frustrating is the perfect word. Now you throw in some key injuries to half of our centre men and our only physical dman (sorry Lady, you try, but you rarely hurt anyone) and things will most likely get worse before they will get better.

To start the year, everyone said the Oil would score plenty, but their team D and goaltending would be their downfall. Turns out DD has looked pretty darn good, but they are far from an offensive powerhouse, and our team D is atrocious. Heart isn't the question IMO, it's game plan, and playing smart. At least it's a short year, maybe we can end up with Barkov, a big, strong centre with offensive skill, already playing against men and producing. Obviously, some big changes are going to have to be made this offseason. I think Tambo's time should be over, time to bring a guy who has a vision and some balls.
Just a couple of things. Smid and Petry are pretty physical. You don't need to destroy guys like Fistric does to be considered physical. Also, I think our team D is much improved but our offense is terrible. Sustained offensive pressure has been very minimal in a lot of the games and well, when you don't have the puck, you can't score and you end up defending more often than not. The Oilers can score on the PP and get some quick goals off the rush but they need that cycle game some teams have to really generate quality offensive chances.

Looking at this year's roster, I would have never thought that we would be lacking offense...again. The top line has been just an utter failure so far.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
In was men against boys because one team looked relatively composed despite trailing in the game (and going goalless on the PP) and the other looked flustered and timid all night.
Canucks weren't particularly impressive tonight. They are fortunate Luongo stood tall on that penalty shot. They threw a ton of pucks at the net and got lucky with two of them and then burned Eberle for flying the zone, which is exactly what a veteran team does to a younger team.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:30 AM
McDNicks17
Leon!

Quote:
Ottawa plays in the East. Defense is at a premium there.

And Mike smith is not a top 5 goaltender. We all know that team trapped their way to 1-0 victories.

and anyone thinking we have a top 5 offense or goaltending is dreaming...

Also for all their struggles, we're 13th in GA.
No one is talking about our GA now. We're talking about GA at this rate of shots against when Dubnyk inevitably cools down.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I can't think of one area that this team has improved in. Scoring from Yakupov and Schultz otherwise, this team has the same exact problems that it had last season.
That can't be all surprising can it?

We literally only added Yakupov, Schultz and Fistric to last years squad...

02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Kepler 186f
Red Shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by subnet View Post
Dubnyk was good.

Hemsky NEVER passes to Yak

EVERY other top 6 must think they're 'Mr. unsustainable - Eberle' - and tries to make perfect and cutesy plays rather than shooting it at the net. We need more shots!

Too bad the Nordic line saw limited minutes.
Go to the 11 second mark here.

Colo/Edm

Old
02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
No one is talking about our GA now. We're talking about GA at this rate of shots against when Dubnyk inevitably cools down.
Just like how Dubnyk cooled off late last year?

Dubnyk is not Khabibulin. Sure he's not going to keep up a .920 sv% of whatever it is, but he's not going to fall that far.

Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smytty94 View Post
This may be so but if we are panicking over losing a player like Horcoff then our team is in real trouble. Every team has injuries and does their best to battle through them. Ottawa is in a tough position when it comes to an injured center, not Edmonton. Let's see how they respond in comparison to us.

I was expecting us to challenge for a playoff spot this year and at least play the majority of the season with games being meaningful. I still hold the team accountable to that and I bet they feel the same. Screw these excuses 9 games in. I bet Ottawa won't be making any. Why should we?
They're probably one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to depth though. In particular, defense and center are weak point on this team. Tambo made no attempts to address this issues in the offseason (other than JSchultz), so no, I'm not surprised that losing Horcoff, Belanger, and Fistric would be very damaging to this team.

As for Ottawa, I do think they are in big trouble without Spezza. Their playoffs hopes are probably over now.

Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
This sums it up for me. The record is masking a lot of deficiencies that this team has, it's being carried but a hot goalie and very good penalty killing and powerplay at least up until recently. It sounds an awful lot like early last season, doesn't it? The one difference is that the goal differential at this point last season was greater.
Even their wins have been struggles.

I would say the 1st line can now pin other teams in their zone at will at times now, they just aren't burying chances right now, whereas they were early last year. Very rarely last year would we be able to pin lines the Thornton or Sedin line in their own zone with the kid line, but this year it's really not a big deal.

And Hemsky's been moderately better this year. Gagner is improved a bit too, but I think it's somewhat overstated. Both Hemsky and Gagner are not utilizing Yakupov properly either.

Dubnyk has not been as good as Khabby was early last year, Khabby was superhuman, Duby's let in a few softies despite facing a lot of shots.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Canucks weren't particularly impressive tonight. They are fortunate Luongo stood tall on that penalty shot. They threw a ton of pucks at the net and got lucky with two of them and then burned Eberle for flying the zone, which is exactly what a veteran team does to a younger team.
Well, that's what good teams do. They win when they're not playing particularly well. They also learn from those games and don't make those efforts a habit.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
McDNicks17
Leon!

Quote:
Just like how Dubnyk cooled off late last year?

Dubnyk is not Khabibulin. Sure he's not going to keep up a .920 sv% of whatever it is, but he's not going to fall that far.
Doesn't matter how much he cools down when we're allowing this many shots against.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Asher

Quote:
I think the loss of composure was trying to patch together new lines at the last second. Hell, even Yak took a faceoff at one point. Everybody was out of their comfort zone tonight.

Old
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Doesn't matter how much he cools down when we're allowing this many shots against.
I think you're overstating the importance of SA too much. The Canucks didn't exactly blow us away with many high quality scoring chances. Most of their shots were clappers from the point into Dubnyk's stomach. If the opposition gets 40 of those a night, is it really that big of a deal?

Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Well, that's what good teams do. They win when they're not playing particularly well. They also learn from those games and don't make those efforts a habit.
And we were probably 19 seconds away from doing the same. Eberle makes a stupid move to fly the zone looking for a breakaway.

That's the difference between winning and losing in this league, it's not the huge chasm it's made out to be. Young players will make a stupid play there, a 25-year-old Eberle probably doesn't do that.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Suxnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

I was thinking we'd actually be able to score 5 on 5 this year but it looks like we still need more 1st overall talent.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:37 AM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

You would think that some of the existing players would have improved or that the different coaching would lead to an improved system but the team looks exactly like it did last season, it really does. They don't seem to be learning.
It is early in the season, but it's frustrating to see the same fundamental problems with this team year after year no matter what the personnel is.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm not buying the gap between a 22 year old player and a 25 year old player. There are too many dominant (very) young stars in this league now.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
McCrumb

Quote:
They're probably one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to depth though. In particular, defense and center are weak point on this team. Tambo made no attempts to address this issues in the offseason (other than JSchultz), so no, I'm not surprised that losing Horcoff, Belanger, and Fistric would be very damaging to this team.

As for Ottawa, I do think they are in big trouble without Spezza. Their playoffs hopes are probably over now.
Can't really disagree with any of this. The key point is our lack of depth. I guess we just sit here and wait for the draft.

Closed Thread