Go Jets Go!

Old
02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
This team is also soft as butter as it currently is constructed and is trying to build a larger group of forwards and especially down the middle and down the pike.

People can't seem to figure out why Scheifele has been kept around for as long as he has. Perhaps Scheifele has been kept because they are going to make a spot for him via a trade of a current roster forward. Take a look at the size of the young centers in the Jets pipeline for a hint as to Burmi's future here: Lowry, Olsen, Sutter, all big boys that compete hard.

Not saying that Scheifele provides any more physicality right now but rather that Scheifele will fill the role at forward that Burmi currently fills (and at a larger size down the road as well).
How does moving one of the team's biggest and busiest hitters in any way make the team less soft?

Old
02-05-2013, 04:29 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Probably just as much as they showcased Scheifele and Postma last game.

More likely that they want him to be a future top 6 centre and they are rewarding him for his play.

Burmi left the Tampa game with the best Fenwick of any Jet
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/winni...htning-fenwick

...and he is 2nd possession wise among Jets forwards year to date
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67
Could be although if Noel is rewarding young players Scheifele shouldn't be riding the pine today. I can't say I have any idea what he's thinking right now.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:32 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

I don't see the Jets showcasing Burmi to move him. To me they would be selling when his stock is low (if points are what matters). I believe he is better this year after 8 games than he was last year and yet last year he was on pace for about 70 points at the same time.

IMHO he is the least of our worries and this is just a move to shake things up a bit and knowing coach it will last a period if we are lucky. I don't place too much weight on who plays with whom because as we have seen line combinations are fluid.

looking forward to a good game tonight by the team.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Alternate viewpoint: Maybe Noel wants to kick start his offence.
Even if they are looking to move him:

Scenario 1: They are trying to move him now and they aren't exactly selling high.

Scenario 2: They try to pump his offensive stats, it works, and he starts scoring. At this point, what is the motivation to move him? It isn't like the Jets are flush with young and talented top 6 forwards.
They aren't really in a position to sell high with injuries and with a new management group that is likely to be looking to eventually change the mix here. Sometimes making change isn't about getting a better player in return, or selling high, or trading apples for apples, but rather is simply about making a change going forward

It is difficult to envision that player in that spot with this team next season IMO, your own mileage may vary though. If so, cool, then we are of differing opinions. Not looking for a fight, but rather, am conversely off to the game now.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:34 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
How does moving one of the team's biggest and busiest hitters in any way make the team less soft?
Not saying it is or isn't happening , but an answer for your question would be what would be received in return.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Not saying it is or isn't happening , but an answer for your question would be what would be received in return.
Yeah maybe there is a good young two-way LHD that Chevy covets and Burmistrovs the chip he's dangling. I just don't think it makes any sense that given how well the Ladd Little and Scheifele line played in the third last game that Noel would mess with it.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
joescores

Why not to give a chance to Montoya? Sure he could redeem himself?

Old
02-05-2013, 04:48 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
They aren't really in a position to sell high with injuries and with a new management group that is likely to be looking to eventually change the mix here. Sometimes making change isn't about getting a better player in return, or selling high, or trading apples for apples, but rather is simply about making a change going forward

It is difficult to envision that player in that spot with this team next season IMO, your own mileage may vary though. If so, cool, then we are of differing opinions. Not looking for a fight, but rather, am conversely off to the game now.

Fair. Have fun at the game.

To be honest, there are a few other "core"-ish players who strike me as more movable. Little and Wheeler both play a much softer game, they would yield more of a return and they will both be more expensive going forward. Plus Burmi isn't far from Little offensively.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Predarat

The dumb coach is starting Pav-A-Sieve again. They should have promoted Torchetti.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:53 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Not saying Burmistrov is or isn't being showcased, because we'd never really know until it does or doesn't happen (and even if it doesn't happen it could still have been attempted).
I'm a strong supporter of Burmistrov's upside because of what I've seen, BUT no one is untouchable. Not Kane, not Bogosian, not Wheeler, not _____. What's untouchable is getting poor value and not filling a need.

That being said, IF Burmistrov were being showcased, I'm not sure they are doing a good job of it placing him on that line. Ladd and Little have consistently faced the toughest minutes on the team. At first it was split between them and the USSR line but since Wellwood and Scheifele have entered that line they've been sheltered. There are only two players that Noel refuses to face tough competition: Wellwood and Scheifele, and since one of them is on the third line, I'd doubt Noel would be sheltering Ladd, Burmistrov and Little to showcase Burmistrov and in turn give tougher minutes to KJWh and the ol' TOR line. He did do a bit though when Scheifele played with Ladd and Little but it was only for 6 minutes of ice-time, and the reformed USSR line gave him that tough minute line option again, Wellwood doesn't.

IMHO he has been strong in creating offense even if the production isn't there (similar to Jokinen for even strength). Burmistrov was in top6 for shots on goal per minute, he's been active in pushing the play, aggressive and has been out-chancing his opponents more than ANY forward on our team that has played every game. Burmi and Jokinen both have our lowest top6 pts/60 and both have have been creating chances... unfortunately for them both have had really low team sh%'s when they are on the ice relative to normal for the team, the league and for themselves.

If you want to showcase a player right, you do what Vancouver did for Hodgson. You give him the softest minutes possible and push the OZS north of even the Sedins. Again, they COULD very well be showcasing him for trade, and I'd be fine with that. But, if they are trying to do that then:

Last edited by garret9: 02-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Yeah maybe there is a good young two-way LHD that Chevy covets and Burmistrovs the chip he's dangling. I just don't think it makes any sense that given how well the Ladd Little and Scheifele line played in the third last game that Noel would mess with it.
As a guy like myself who is high on Burmi, IF he was dealt the only way I wouldn't be extremely upset is obviously if the return was adequate, and addressed a need.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
10 REM. *** Jets cheer Feb 5th 2013 ***
20 PRINT "PLEASE WIN"
30 GOTO 20

Old
02-05-2013, 05:17 PM
joescores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
The dumb coach is starting Pav-A-Sieve again. They should have promoted Torchetti.
Hey bro, is this confirmed?

Old
02-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Let's see a hearty effort tonight. Don't know what exactly to expect but hope to see some spirited hockey by the home team. GO JETS GO

Old
02-05-2013, 05:56 PM
IceCapsFanNL

From MileOne Centre go Jets!!!!

Old
02-05-2013, 06:14 PM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

My favourite GDT.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
Montoya has made Pavelec look like late 90s Hasek by comparison (albeit over a small sample size).

Warts and all, he's still the Jets best chance to win.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 02-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 06:23 PM
tntkid

Win Jets Win!

Old
02-05-2013, 06:39 PM
scelaton

Just finishing work and off to MTS to see the Burmi experiment first-hand. Kudos to the coaching staff for shaking things up. We'll know it when we have the right mix of lines...and we haven't got it yet.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Montoya has made Pavelec look like late 90s Hasek by comparison (albeit over a small sample size).

I must say I enjoy your Pavelec posts as of late.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:43 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

This!

Unfortunately opponents are them both helpless like 80's era goaltenders.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I must say I enjoy your Pavelec posts as of late.
You know what Lynk, I find myself raging when I talk about Pavelec more than any other player on this team. I'm probably a little too hard on the guy, it's not as though the Jets defensive play or the parade to the box has helped him any. But it's so bloody frustrating, especially knowing what he's capable of. For me, it's a bit like Byfuglien at the start of last season.

Anyways...

Hopefully we see a more disciplined and defensively responsible effort tonight. For as maligned as the defense corps has been, I think a large amount of blame has to go to the Jets forwards, who have often failed to provide adequate back pressure. I think after those two home victories and their offensive outburst, the Jets forwards got away from what played a huge factor in the Boston and Washington victories, which was a total team commitment to solid defense.

Quote:
This!

Unfortunately opponents are them both helpless like 80's era goaltenders.
You mean like this old dynamic duo?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 02-05-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Auror

vCash: 50
Streams?

Old
02-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post
Streams?
Streams will always be provided, to those who ask for it.

Closed Thread