HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs' Nonis: I operate differently than Burke

Old
02-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Tinalera

vCash: 500
Yea, he seems to be not of the "quick fix" mindset, and seems more than comfortable at playing the current team, see who fits and who doesn't and trading at the trade deadline even if it means finishing bottom five (and a great opportunity at drafting a number one center-Kadri is great, can probably be a great number 2, don't know if could be number 1 though).

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I saw the interview on Sportsnet yesterday by Chris Simpson on Nonis and he does come across far more patient and willing to let the youth play and develop.

No quick fix attempts in the future and not willing to sacrifice youth to move the team ahead quickly as in the past.

His early moves of parachuting out Lombardi and Connolly to make room for Kadri and Frattin has paid big dividends early on in his new philosophy of building from within.
I got to see this 1st hand (the tail end of it) when I first moved out West, things will turn out but the patience within the fanbase is weakening.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
one reason nonis is kept around because he will at least be able to trade kessel if the MLSE board chooses not to wanna build its marketing around him....burke couldnt trade kessel in a million years ......not with what he gave up and is paying him and what kessel's agent is gonna want ......im not so sure the leafs board is gonna keeo nonis around either .....i think the housecleaning is just begun

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:12 AM
daveleaf

I find it funny now that Kadri is leading the team in scoring and seems to be the most dangerous Leaf along with Frattin on most nights. Take away his faceoffs and really he has played virtually no centre for the Leafs since being drafted and the guy is doing everything that can be asked.

I found it funny on TV last night Nonis made no promises to keeping Phaneuf and Kessel and said there are no untouchables on this team. Burkes method of building the team was from the net out and once can argue goaltending is an issue. Reimer seems to be coming around but more of a longer term approach. We have Gardiner and Reilly but really slim pickings for finishing near the bottom for the last five years.

I bet Nonis goes through the year and lets the team decide where they should be headed. Come trade deadline he will decide if he is a buyer or seller and guys like Phaneuf, Kessel, Grabovski and others will come up.

I believe we are sellers. There are some decent young players here but not top end talent. If I had to spend 7mil a year I would on Corey Perry-not Phil Kessel.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
I saw the interview on Sportsnet yesterday by Chris Simpson on Nonis and he does come across far more patient and willing to let the youth play and develop.

No quick fix attempts in the future and not willing to sacrifice youth to move the team ahead quickly as in the past.

His early moves of parachuting out Lombardi and Connolly to make room for Kadri and Frattin has paid big dividends early on in his new philosophy of building from within.
Agreed. Even though they are small moves, I like everything Nonis has done so far. One thing I always got impression from Burke, was that Ron Wilson had a lot of input into the deals that were made. Some of them seemed to have his fingerpirnts all over them, meanwhile, burke kept telling us he wanted a tough team that was difficult to play against.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I find it funny now that Kadri is leading the team in scoring and seems to be the most dangerous Leaf along with Frattin on most nights. Take away his faceoffs and really he has played virtually no centre for the Leafs since being drafted and the guy is doing everything that can be asked.

I found it funny on TV last night Nonis made no promises to keeping Phaneuf and Kessel and said there are no untouchables on this team. Burkes method of building the team was from the net out and once can argue goaltending is an issue. Reimer seems to be coming around but more of a longer term approach. We have Gardiner and Reilly but really slim pickings for finishing near the bottom for the last five years.

I bet Nonis goes through the year and lets the team decide where they should be headed. Come trade deadline he will decide if he is a buyer or seller and guys like Phaneuf, Kessel, Grabovski and others will come up.

I believe we are sellers. There are some decent young players here but not top end talent. If I had to spend 7mil a year I would on Corey Perry-not Phil Kessel.
Completetly agree with you. Imagine this town if Phil Kessel is getting 7 million a year and goes into a scoring slump? I honestly think Nonis is using this shortened season to help decide what pieces he feels need to be kept moving forward. I just get a sense that some of the core players will be shopped.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Pretty sure just about any team, who isn't in the early starges of rebuilding, will give up two undetermined first rounders for a 24 year old who finished 6th in scoring on a **** team last season.
I doubt anyone gives that up but who knows, I could be wrong. I see more of the Jeff Carter trade type return, a first rounder, a good/great prospect, and some sort of NHL ready roster player. One team may give up two first like you suggested (though I doubt that as well) but it's highly unlikely that "any team not beginning their rebuild" would pay that amount.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
TheSilencer

Tank you Nonis

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Budsfan

Quote:

I agree and if there was one thing, I didn't agree totally with Burke on, was his loyalty to the players and coaches.

Players and Coaches are well paid, to do the job they were hired for, trades and firings are part and parcel of the business of professional sports and the GM must put aside Loyalties and do whatever is necessary for the team to succeed and while it's good quality to have, loyalty is also something that can undermine a team going forward.

I think that this is probably the one area, that puts Nonis and Burke apart in their thinking and thus the team's direction.

Playing the kids scenario, has happened more because of this fact, than almost any other factor but again good players and affordable contracts, that the UFA market had this year, was another.

In any case it will be interesting to see how Nonis handles the GM job going forward and building on the spade work, that both He and Burke started.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:57 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I agree and if there was one thing, I didn't agree totally with Burke on, was his loyalty to the players and coaches.

Players and Coaches are well paid, to do the job they were hired for, trades and firings are part and parcel of the business of professional sports and the GM must put aside Loyalties and do whatever is necessary for the team to succeed and while it's good quality to have, loyalty is also something that can undermine a team going forward.

I think that this is probably the one area, that puts Nonis and Burke apart in their thinking and thus the team's direction.

Playing the kids scenario, has happened more because of this fact, than almost any other factor but again good players and affordable contracts, that the UFA market had this year, was another.

In any case it will be interesting to see how Nonis handles the GM job going forward and building on the spade work, that both He and Burke started.
Agreed. It's a fine line between "loyalty" and "blue and white" disease.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
That is a real hard swallow he does after talking about Phil and Dion and saying no one is untouchable. The other thing I take from this is they are going to play the kids and see what they can do don't have to make the playoffs in the next couple of years just need to show improvement.
Of course he wants to trade away players that are not playing to their cap-hit. Kessel and Phaneuf are good players, but not at the money they make, in a capped system. However, considering their cap to effective play ratio, are these two players worth much in trade?

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Did people expect him to say he's Burke's clone ? lol

Hopefully he follows through the plans on making some trades. He's known for his patience.

02-05-2013, 11:57 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
"I don't think trading long-term assets for one or two years is good for any team. Especially for a team trying to rebuild; maybe for a team trying to get over the hump. Don't think that's prudent for us to do."
Management finally admits we're rebuilding. It's a good day.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:11 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

I think Nonis has said that playoffs is up to the kids. The rebuild is in effect but our prospects are getting into the line up and we are going to let the kids play as hard as they can. It is a relief when we finally get to hear the words "Let the kids play"

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Internet high five!

Old
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
JackJ

JVR --- Perry
Clowe --- Lupul

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
It took 6 years but finally, we are admitting we are rebuilding. With those 6 years we should have had 6 prospects.

Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly...hmm...I guess...

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
JVR Crosby Perry
Clowe Malkin Lupul
There, much more realistic

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:44 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 3 - 3

Quote:
Many have known they are and have been for sometime.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:49 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Many have known they are and have been for sometime.
Yeah obviously but they haven't admitted it until now, which lends itself to a commitment. Finally. Woo!

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:55 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 3 - 3

Quote:
Yeah obviously but they haven't admitted it until now, which lends itself to a commitment. Finally. Woo!
I've always thought they were committed to it.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

"I don't think trading long-term assets for one or two years is good for any team. Especially for a team trying to rebuild; maybe for a team trying to get over the hump. Don't think that's prudent for us to do."

Does this mean were rebuilding ????

Hick Leafs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:06 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Yes. Seems like Nonis is very aware we need a revamp and more importantly he's willing to do it.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Jerkini

Why is his Sportsnet interview so hard to find?

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:08 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Anywhere this interview is on line for us nice folks not living in Canada?

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote