Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who was behind the new "standard"

Old
02-04-2013, 12:04 PM
patty59

vCash: 500
Who was behind the new "standard"

This new interference standard that the NHL has rolled out with this year is awful.

Who was pushing for this and why?

Are they terrible calls really adding to anyone's enjoyment of the games or make the game better in any way?

It's unreal some of these calls that are being made, and for what?

I don't get it.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
ODAAT

Like everything else, I blame Brian Burke

Your right though, brutal so far

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:09 PM
northeastern

I do like how if someone knocks a players stick out of their hands it is not always going to be called as a slash.

just a small bright spot.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:19 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Are you talking goaltender interference specifically? Because I know that is driving me nuts this year.

I would even have to admit that the call that went against Toronto on Rask was pretty weak, and I would say ditto on the call that went against Boston.

This is the NHL, whether you are a goalie or not, you have to be able to fight through some contact to make a play, especially when a guy is not in the crease. That's part of the game.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:32 PM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
Are you talking goaltender interference specifically? Because I know that is driving me nuts this year.

I would even have to admit that the call that went against Toronto on Rask was pretty weak, and I would say ditto on the call that went against Boston.

This is the NHL, whether you are a goalie or not, you have to be able to fight through some contact to make a play, especially when a guy is not in the crease. That's part of the game.
Did you see that horrible call yesterday in the Ottawa Habs game. Ottawa got called for goalie interference and Price was not even touched. My brother in law a huge habs fans even agreed with me and he never agrees with me

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:42 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Bill Polian

02-04-2013, 12:43 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post

All of it, there is a major emphasis on interference this year. It's garbage.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey View Post
Did you see that horrible call yesterday in the Ottawa Habs game. Ottawa got called for goalie interference and Price was not even touched. My brother in law a huge habs fans even agreed with me and he never agrees with me
Yes, I did see that, and that call was abysmal.

It is starting to remind me a little of the year they decided that a goal would not be allowed if any part of the player's skate was in the crease...the year Dallas won the cup, ironically, on a goal where Hull's skate was in the crease at some point.

Point is, it's starting to no longer pass the common sense test. They have to figure something out. I think the first thing would be to make it a reviewable play. If one official waves it off, then it shouldn't be an automatic no goal. They should get together, talk about it, and then take a look at it on replay. Just get it right, especially since goalies have learned just to flop at any hint of contact.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
All of it, there is a major emphasis on interference this year. It's garbage.
I must be missing it, because I've seen a ton of interference being let go, at least in the Bruins games, and haven't felt like there was a huge upswing in interference calls.

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:10 PM
DarrenBanks56

they have to do something.
i agree about the goalies flopping. Hell, Ive seen Rask flop and get 2 calls so far this year. Its only gonna get worse if they dont do something fast.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:13 PM
BadBruins

I thought we were going to see a crack down on diving this year? So much for that.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:14 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
I must be missing it, because I've seen a ton of interference being let go, at least in the Bruins games, and haven't felt like there was a huge upswing in interference calls.
Look at some of the calls that are being made. D-man turns to chase the puck, and he gets interference penalty. The goalie interference this year has been brutal too.

Not to mention the league has actually came out and said there is an emphasis on interference this year.

I'm just wondering why? I'm all for calling the pick plays, but 2 guys on the way to the same puck is not interference, neither is skating in front of someone.

Look at the GI in the habs Sens game yesterday. Do you think that if that puck doesn't go in the net the ref is calling interference on that play? His arm wasn't up, so I'd say no.

I would like to know the point of it all. They sure aren't adding to my viewing pleasure.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:16 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
I thought we were going to see a crack down on diving this year? So much for that.
That would be too easy, instead they are going to call crappy interference penalties and stick-lift-hooks.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

We also have to take in account that the refs had only one week to get ready for this season. Not that I am giving an excuse because I do feel some of the calls can be pretty bad.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
patty59

I don't blame the refs for such calls either, it's mandated to them to call it that way and it's there job to do so.

However, I do blame them for guessing on penalties, like that Seguin slash last game. Total guess by that official, overreacted to the broken stick.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:53 PM
hockeymass

I feel like the first week was extremely ridiculous, but they've kind of relaxed it a bit since then.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:32 PM
TCL40

I don't like the new one that applies to defense (not goalies although you could probably have a 10 page thread already on bad goalie interference calls).

What bothers me is that it is stricter in many ways, but the refs are even more inconsistent in applying.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Look at some of the calls that are being made. D-man turns to chase the puck, and he gets interference penalty. The goalie interference this year has been brutal too.

Not to mention the league has actually came out and said there is an emphasis on interference this year.

I'm just wondering why? I'm all for calling the pick plays, but 2 guys on the way to the same puck is not interference, neither is skating in front of someone.

Look at the GI in the habs Sens game yesterday. Do you think that if that puck doesn't go in the net the ref is calling interference on that play? His arm wasn't up, so I'd say no.

I would like to know the point of it all. They sure aren't adding to my viewing pleasure.
I don't know if you're talking about another team, of Seidenberg's interference penalty. That was a pretty good call, I thought. I do agree about the Goalie interference calls though. but those were pretty brutal last year too, so I'm not really viewing it as some outgrowth from a new standard.

All that said, the officiating has been brutally inconsistent this year. BRUTALLY!

Old
02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

The interference penalties have really been pushing it the past few seasons in my mind. They get a little weaker each season.

This season has been beyond horrendous, like the rest of the officiating. The NHL has to realize this trend isn't getting any better, right?

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
I don't know if you're talking about another team, of Seidenberg's interference penalty. That was a pretty good call, I thought. I do agree about the Goalie interference calls though. but those were pretty brutal last year too, so I'm not really viewing it as some outgrowth from a new standard.

All that said, the officiating has been brutally inconsistent this year. BRUTALLY!
It what universe was that a "good call"?

Completely agree with the point of this thread. the new interference (both with skaters and goalies) is ****ing dreadful. I can SOMEWHAT agree with being over cautious around goalies to make sure they are allowed to make the save but defenders more or less have to dive the **** out of the way in order to avoid contact if someone chips a puck past them and that's ridiculous.

SerenityRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
C77

I think the NHL wants more goals (as do I) although the league is trying to accomplish it by having more PP's. I wonder if the number of PP's per game is up to start the season from previous years?

I'd rather see 4 on 4 because there isn't enough space on the ice and it seems almost impossible to score when you've got two massive defensemen in front of a massive goalie...using a goal with the same dimensions as when goalies could succeed in the NHL while being less than 6 ft. tall.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:48 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Had to be Jacobs. He hates hockey.

and puppies.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:35 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I think the NHL wants more goals (as do I) although the league is trying to accomplish it by having more PP's. I wonder if the number of PP's per game is up to start the season from previous years?

I'd rather see 4 on 4 because there isn't enough space on the ice and it seems almost impossible to score when you've got two massive defensemen in front of a massive goalie...using a goal with the same dimensions as when goalies could succeed in the NHL while being less than 6 ft. tall.
Then why do they keep waving them off and calling BS interference?

And there's plenty of space out there. No need for more stupid rules. The game, while being played normally, has never been better. There is no need to 'tweak' it, at all.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:05 PM
TCL40

I can honestly say I would rather see a close, low scoring game with few penalties than a game that has a constant parade to the penalty box.

Shoot I don't particularly care if there are few or tone of goals scored, I just want to see good hockey.

One of the best games of hockey I have ever watched was the game 7 with Tampa.

I want the actual penalties called, but I hate the concept of ticky tack calls and make up calls and the new interference rules just seem to have introduced more controversy into the game rather than making it better.

I actually though the blown "no goal" calls in the Bruins game couldn't get much worse, then there was the awful call in the Sens game.

Refs are a huge problem this year and they are inserting themselves into games rather than calling them. That shouldn't be happening and it makes for bad hockey.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
It what universe was that a "good call"?

Completely agree with the point of this thread. the new interference (both with skaters and goalies) is ****ing dreadful. I can SOMEWHAT agree with being over cautious around goalies to make sure they are allowed to make the save but defenders more or less have to dive the **** out of the way in order to avoid contact if someone chips a puck past them and that's ridiculous.
Seidenberg left his skating lane and prevented his opponent from being able to pursue the puck. Hell, he almost knocked him down. He gained an advantage by interfering with his opponent. It was a good call.

Frankly, they haven't called ENOUGH interference, except that they need to wait for goalie interference to actually call one. I haven't seen a goalie interfered with enough to warrant a penalty yet this season, although I've watch very little of any non-Bruins games.