HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/5/13 7PM Memories of Boudreau: Team of NHL Playing Glory vs Team of Coaching Glory

Old
02-05-2013, 09:39 PM
tycoonheart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
It's odd that everyone isn't flipping a **** about the BB comparisons the way they were last year.
Completely different situations here. New coaches. New system. No training camp. Versus Bruce was in his 4th year. C'mon now.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:45 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs81 View Post
Seriously!?! Im not sure how BB gets fired yet he brought the team to like 1st-4th in the league every year
Doesn't matter who the coach was, his shtick ran out. It happens.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Question:

When you say, That's on the coaches, I take it that the point you allude to isn't related to conditioning. Am I correct?
when the coaches are running him out there every other shift when they can obviously see his conditioning is not up to snuff...yeah, it's on the coaches. But the coaches don't really have a 3rd pairing to count on...so here we are.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:07 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Getting there , but McPhee shouldn't be given the chance to wheel and deal during and following the tank job.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:09 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Watching your friends play Blades of Steel after school was better hockey than this.
I LOVED that game... in 8 bit Nintendo.

Last summer, I got the itch for the 8 bit TechMo Super Bowl, so I bought a rebuilt unit from Amazon, and I managed to find my boxs of games. Sure enough, BOS and TSB were in there... plus 20-30 more. Took the new rig and about 10 games to Va. Beach this summer. Even playing against the machine... forgot how much fun they were. Much easier to play than modern versions.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
when the coaches are running him out there every other shift when they can obviously see his conditioning is not up to snuff...yeah, it's on the coaches. But the coaches don't really have a 3rd pairing to count on...so here we are.
Good point.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Getting there , but McPhee shouldn't be given the chance to wheel and deal during and following the tank job.
If we're going to tank, I'd be completely fine with McPhee at the helm until after the draft. He's excellent at getting draft pick value out of his trades, and has a very good draft record since the 04-05 lockout.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:13 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
I don't get you. I showed you:

We had "1" player work out (matt perrault.... and he didn't work out well) from round 4 and lower over 10 years of picks (10 since the scouting was fixed).

You know this.
And?

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If we're going to tank, I'd be completely fine with McPhee at the helm until after the draft. He's excellent at getting draft pick value out of his trades, and has a very good draft record since the 04-05 lockout.
And let this idiot continue to build on an already dysfunctional roster? Pass...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
They could still fire him and keep the amateur scouting staff in place and just re-evaluate them next summer. Mahoney running the draft probably wouldn't make it much different, although there likely would be an organizational shift in emphasis.

That's a stronger case for keeping him until the trade deadline but even then ideally there would be more than just draft picks involved.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:21 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
That's the problem.......his perception will be greatly altered if he knows the noose around his neck is getting tighter, so he may not be looking at the greater picture.....and if he is looking at the greater picture then that'll mean he's here longer than most of us would like.

I've always liked McPhee.....but 3 coaches in 18 months, a core in their prime going of the rails....he's done !

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:22 PM
muffinarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Watching your friends play Blades of Steel after school was better hockey than this.
"gets the pass"

muffinarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
And let this idiot continue to build on an already dysfunctional roster? Pass...
No, let him tear it down and re-stock the organization with young talent (which he's done well with before). Then let someone else use that talent to build the NHL team.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:27 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
And?
One day you dismiss the importance of late round picks. Now, you want to move an asset for one?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
They could still fire him and keep the amateur scouting staff in place and just re-evaluate them next summer. Mahoney running the draft probably wouldn't make it much different, although there likely would be an organizational shift in emphasis.

That's a stronger case for keeping him until the trade deadline but even then ideally there would be more than just draft picks involved.
Ted will blame the losses on Ovechkin.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:37 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
One day you dismiss the importance of late round picks. Now, you want to move an asset for one?
no. i think you got the wrong poster. i was agreeing with the suggestion that even if we finish last, with our luck we'll get the 6th pick in the draft.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
WcRoenick97

Quote:
No, let him tear it down and re-stock the organization with young talent (which he's done well with before). Then let someone else use that talent to build the NHL team.
So you want him to stay around for the draft and then get axed? That would never happen. If he sticks around until the draft, he sticks around for a while.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Halpysback

Aside from the lottery pick should we get it (and that should honestly be a slam dunk for any non-retarded GM) there should be no emphasis on rebuilding through the draft at this point.

UFA top priority, trades second, draft third. This team is close to being a legit contender. Just plug all the holes with quality players.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Aside from the lottery pick should we get it (and that should honestly be a slam dunk for any non-retarded GM) there should be no emphasis on rebuilding through the draft at this point.

UFA top priority, trades second, draft third. This team is close to being a legit contender. Just plug all the holes with quality players.
what few holes are you talking about. this team is a disaster every where

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:

Easier said than done.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Easier said than done.
Yet everyone else somehow magically manages to find a way.

Our 3rd pairing sucks... again. Oates loves left-right balance. Oh look, Roszival was coming off of a defensively excellent year and no one wanted to sign him. Nah, I'm sure a Schultz/Poti/Erskine/Hillen/Hamrlik soup will work great. At worst we can just call up Kundratek, there's no way he could be in over his head or anything. We get Ribeiro, lose Semin, any kindergardner can tell you the team needs another guy who knows what that wrist shot thingy looks like. Oh look, Kostitsyn coming off of a playoff run where he was excellent in the first round, after spending years playing under Jacques Martin and basically being used as a physical plugger with an excellent wrist shot. Nope, nothing here, lets stick Ward/Wolski/Brouwer/Chimera with Ribeiro instead. 2 years before we're dying for a legit top 4 DFD, and Willie Mitchell is right there. Nope, can't risk him not being fully recovered from concussion... better play JFS there.

It may be easier said than done... but it's still pretty ****ing easy to do. The fact that McPhee can't manage to do it reflects more the fact that he is a hole in the ass when it comes to pro scouting than how "hard" it is to actually do.

Last edited by Halpysback: 02-06-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:
Yet everyone else somehow magically manages to find a way.

Our 3rd pairing sucks... again. Oates loves left-right balance. Oh look, Roszival was coming off of a defensively excellent year and no one wanted to sign him. Nah, I'm sure a Schultz/Poti/Erskine/Hillen/Hamrlik soup will work great. At worst we can just call up Kundratek, there's no way he could be in over his head or anything. We get Ribeiro, lose Semin, any kindergardner can tell you the team needs another guy who knows what that wrist shot thingy looks like. Oh look, Kostitsyn coming off of a playoff run where he was excellent in the first round, after spending years playing under Jacques Martin and basically being used as a physical plugger with an excellent wrist shot. Nope, nothing here, lets stick Ward/Wolski/Brouwer/Chimera with Ribeiro instead. 2 years before we're dying for a legit top 4 DFD, and Willie Mitchell is right there. Nope, can't risk him not being fully recovered from concussion... better play JFS there.

It may be easier said than done... but it's still pretty ****ing easy to do. The fact that McPhee can't manage to do it reflects more the fact that he is a hole in the ass when it comes to pro scouting than how "hard" it is to actually do.
Well said Halpy, GMGM had run his course in d.c. I don't think anyone can really evaluate Oates with this roster it's pretty ******. What is our image? There's one thing I cannot stand year after year with this team as well, were ****ing soft.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:41 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Well said Halpy, GMGM had run his course in d.c. I don't think anyone can really evaluate Oates with this roster it's pretty ******. What is our image? There's one thing I cannot stand year after year with this team as well, were ****ing soft.
We are soft. Only like 2 players even try to initiate contact regularly. Frustrating.

itsjustsurvival is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:16 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

This season makes it pretty obvious to everyone but the oblivious that winning on value in the player and draft market doesn't necessarily correlate with a winning team on the ice. If a GM change is needed because of philosophy, then there is no need to keep a lame duck GM around just so you could win that trophy for winning the off-season.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:22 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Somewhere Boudreau is smoking a cigar and cackling at our situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Fine. I'll say it. No. He's eating ribs and cackling.
Come on. Everyone knows he's eating Hagen Daz ice cream and cackling.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote