HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ilya Kovalchuk: "Leave Ovechkin alone!"

Old
02-05-2013, 10:22 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Makes sense to me. The media has been very unfair to Russian players lately.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc e View Post
Have to be so careful when translating interviews through an interpreter. So much missed syntax and added underlying meanings.
I'm also fluent in Russian, and CCCP got it right from the text I saw highlighted...

re: Gazprom purchasing the Devils. A certain Russian sports writer has been tweeting it for weeks and especially since Mr. Medvedev is planing on visiting NY. City soon to have talks with the NHL comish (probably regarding the Olympics) but the reporter keeps tweeting about Medvedev and Gazprom purchasing the Devs.

I don't have much time for that particular sports writer...I think he's a bit of a twit on twitter myself.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:24 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
OV had a career year in 08-09. 7 of the top 10 caps goals scorers were european, the team had 5 Russian guys. Coincidentally, it was also the year that OV, Backy, Semin also had career playoff seasons and had pushed the caps furthest in the playoffs its been in 15 years (round 2 game 7 loss).
Now the amount of Russains and euros have depleted, the system has changed into an ugly physical, dump and chase emphasis. The same offensive flow just isn't there any more.

I agree, OV needs a trade for new scenery, better system. He will continue to be dogged until he is gone, book it. The funniest article I read was that they were glad to replace Semin with the superior Mike Rebeiro lol. Was Hendricks a replacement for Fedorov, Ward for Kozlov, and Beagle for Flash? Common, GMP has rocks in his head.
All the idiots who said the Caps "weren't built for the Playoffs" were to blame. Look at the group of Defensemen they were carrying in 08-09. Aside from Green who was garbage in his own end it was guys that are out of the league or just barely hanging on. Take the Russians they had back then along with improved DMen like Carlson and Alzner and I think that team wins a Cup. All these "built for the playoffs" scrubs they've acquired have basically assured the Caps won't be making the Playoffs.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Underperforming Canadians like Lecavalier and Nash never get shat on for their contracts the way the Ovechkins and Yashins do.
Baloney. That's so ridiculous you've synthesized a new element to the periodic table; Bolonium.

Nash is one of the most criticized figures in the league, and Lecavalier is more of a cautionary tale for what injury can do. How about Dipietro? You don't remember Martin Lapointe, or Bobby Holik? The original stupid contracts?

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:28 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Playing in the inferior KHL affected most of these guys.

They timing is off. The riddum of the game is slower there. Guys have more time to make decisions there. The execution doesn't need to be as sharp as the NHL.

I've watched KHL games and notice that guys don't get pounded nearly as much as the NHL.

NHL>KHL in terms of everything AINEC.
So why is Vanek doing so well? He played in Austria during the Lockout? Is the Austrian League a big physical league that is much more like the NHL? How about Kane? Is the Swiss League that much better than the KHL?

And if it's the KHL to blame shouldn't Tarasenko be getting overwhelmed by the far superior NHL after not having to execute as sharply for the last three years?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:29 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post

pretty good

Ovechkin has some responsability on his team performance. highest time on ice on his team for only 4pts

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:31 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
Baloney. That's so ridiculous you've synthesized a new element to the periodic table; Bolonium.

Nash is one of the most criticized figures in the league, and Lecavalier is more of a cautionary tale for what injury can do. How about Dipietro? You don't remember Martin Lapointe, or Bobby Holik? The original stupid contracts?
My point exactly, Lecavalier's character is never seen as the reason he's underperformed. It was just unfortunate external circumstances that explained his decline. I would love to see someone try to make that excuse for Yashin... And I don't buy this whole "Rick Nash is so criticized", from the moment he got traded to the Rangers you may as well have handed them the Cup if you listened to what everyone was saying.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Both get pretty significant flak, actually.
This. I love Russian players. Bure is my favorite of all time. Kovalchuk is one of my favorite ever as well. But I fell like Russian players tend to have the "I'm only getting criticized because I'm Russian" syndrome.

The reality of things is that, at this contract, Ovechkin is absolutely underperforming. He should not score anything less than 40+ goals a season.

Also, he was moved the right because he does the exact same thing with every possession when he's on the left... He was always like this. But the combination of loss of explosiveness, confidence and his predictability have made him a liability.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
My point exactly, Lecavalier's character is never seen as the reason he's underperformed. It was just unfortunate external circumstances that explained his decline. I would love to see someone try to make that excuse for Yashin... And I don't buy this whole "Rick Nash is so criticized", from the moment he got traded to the Rangers you may as well have handed them the Cup if you listened to what everyone was saying.
Actually, people do say Lecavalier has always had a motivation issue; that's why he was best under Torts. But wear and tear has actually affected his talent level. No one is questioning Ovie's talent level. No one thinks Lecavalier will be better with a different environment, the best he can possibly do is still not enough. The best Ovechkin can do is not what he's doing now.

On the same level, people think Rick Nash is talented. That's why when Rick Nash gets traded to the Rangers, they're gonna win the Cup. And when the Rangers struggle and Nash isn't in the top ten in goals, they'll go "why does Rick Nash underachiever". And it's also a clear example of recency bias. Give them a couple years where the promise doesn't turn into results. They'll lay it down on Nash's doorstep. Just like they're doing right now with Ovechkin. Trying to make this about nationality is a complete red herring. It's about responsibility.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Underperforming Canadians like Lecavalier and Nash never get shat on for their contracts the way the Ovechkins and Yashins do.
lol yes they do. Constantly. There are some apologists, but there are apologists for Ovechkin as well.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:41 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Kovalchuk is going to be next to be criticized, I foresee a bad season for him. Leads all forwards in ice time and only has 2 goals.
He's also getting very unlucky as shown by a 6% shooting percentage. If he shoots his career average he has 5 goals

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:41 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
This. I love Russian players. Bure is my favorite of all time. Kovalchuk is one of my favorite ever as well. But I fell like Russian players tend to have the "I'm only getting criticized because I'm Russian" syndrome.
Maybe so but then again only Russian players have their nationality attached to them when criticized. Last night Sportsnet had a graphic on Semin with the headline "enigmatic Russian winger"
I also remember they had a piece on Radulov, comparing him to other struggling Russians. Why? What does his nationality have to do with anything? I don't ever remember this being applied to Americans, Finns, Slovaks etc.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Hurt

His under-performance really has nothing to do with him being Russian or not. He just has not played to the level that is expected of him.

02-05-2013, 11:12 AM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

The reality of things is that, at this contract, Ovechkin is absolutely underperforming. He should not score anything less than 40+ goals a season.

Also, he was moved the right because he does the exact same thing with every possession when he's on the left... He was always like this. But the combination of loss of explosiveness, confidence and his predictability have made him a liability.

To be fair, Bure had good reasons to feel that way

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:21 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

It's not like Ovechkin has had performance issues this season alone.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:33 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Playing in the inferior KHL affected most of these guys.

They timing is off. The riddum of the game is slower there. Guys have more time to make decisions there. The execution doesn't need to be as sharp as the NHL.

I've watched KHL games and notice that guys don't get pounded nearly as much as the NHL.

NHL>KHL in terms of everything AINEC.
This is laughable. I have watched more KHL than you can dream of. The passing game over there is much better than in the NHL (exception to DRW). Watching Capitals 2nd, 3rd, and 4th unit, these guys can barely connect a pass, they survive by dumping and chasing and cycling. They would get owned by even the lower lines in the KHL. Read testimonies from Robataille, Maurice, Jagr, Rowe etc.. before you make any more ridicuous claims. Robataille claims that the depth of skill on most KHL teams is actually better than in the NHL. Thats from a guy who has spent many years in the NHL.

Your only correct on the timing differences. You have more time to make decisions, but you also have to be a much better skater to play over there. If you can't skate, pass, puckhandle you will be exploited like a sore thumb on the big ice, like Kane.
Guys finish there hits, there are less collisions in the nuetral zone, but not any less harder in the corners. There are certainly some very mean hitters over there keeping guys honest, watch all of the top hits of the week videos.

Some guys who obviously have benefited from time in the K: Hedman, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Yakupov etc..

Last edited by malkinfan: 02-05-2013 at 11:38 AM.
malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:37 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
All the idiots who said the Caps "weren't built for the Playoffs" were to blame. Look at the group of Defensemen they were carrying in 08-09. Aside from Green who was garbage in his own end it was guys that are out of the league or just barely hanging on. Take the Russians they had back then along with improved DMen like Carlson and Alzner and I think that team wins a Cup. All these "built for the playoffs" scrubs they've acquired have basically assured the Caps won't be making the Playoffs.
This is the best post I've seen yet. Are you a caps fan? So many of there fans think that GMP can do no wrong, but it is exactly as you said, every line is true. How can management not also see this? amazes me. Someone in the organization must be beginning to see this slow depletion back to where they were pre-OV.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:37 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Maybe so but then again only Russian players have their nationality attached to them when criticized. Last night Sportsnet had a graphic on Semin with the headline "enigmatic Russian winger"
I also remember they had a piece on Radulov, comparing him to other struggling Russians. Why? What does his nationality have to do with anything? I don't ever remember this being applied to Americans, Finns, Slovaks etc.
Imagine Evander Kane- "Enigmatic black winger", lol. I'd love to see that.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Just a personal opinion from the observations I've seen. Lecavalier is praised as a great leader and for scoring 20+ goals every year whereas with Nash it was always oh poor guy is stuck on such a bad team.. he really deserves more. If you disagree that's fine but even guys like Redden when he got demoted it seemed more like "well his skills have declined but you gotta feel for the guy" as opposed to Yashin whose character was viciously assaulted ("he just doesn't give a damn!")
Redden's mother died and he was never the same afterwards. On top of which he was willing to put in the work wherever he went.

Yashin was a primadonna that pulled back charity money and was feuding with his team and then went to play in Russia.

Apples and oranges. Also Lecavalier lead his team to a Stanley cup and then went through a whole bunch of injury issues including a massive concussion but still took a lot of flak.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:44 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
he aparently changed from left to right wing

why is it so many russian players play on their off wing?

and why are the capitals changing his position?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
this is what i would like to know also.. seems really ****** dumb. Changing one of the best players in world position... that is clearly not working and sticking by it
Because Ovie was **** for the last 2 seasons on the other side, so why not try something else?

Quote:
Nash is widely considered the most overrated player in the league.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post

Also, everyone knows how prideful Kovalchuk (and most Russians) are about their heritage. If given an opening... he's going to talk about it. It's fine with us. Russians to have a bias against them. In some cases it's true (Radulov, Zherdev, Filatov)... but there are still people that use that bias against Kovy despite the kind of team player he has become. Kovy would not sign a 15 year deal with New Jersey if he was in any way wanting to stay in Russia, leave the team, not be loyal... and so on.

This is just wrong on so many levels...

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Ovie to NJD e4?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Riellyfan04

lol capitals are rebuilding???

Riellyfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:58 PM
tycobb

Can't wait until Crosby production drops and everyone blames Malkin.

tycobb is online now   Reply With Quote