Notices

Flames beat the Red Wings 4-1.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Wow. Kipper down. This is the beginning of the end for the kipper/Iggy era.
Maybe it will wake someone up in ownership that this team really needs to head into a legitimate rebuild cycle.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:19 AM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Owes you a beach ball? He missed it when you threw it at him...

I was like 14 years old playing with a beach ball in a park with my younger cousins in BC when Mike Vernons pit ball I think it was came running toward us and it definitely spooked my younger cousin. Then Mike yells don't worry he is friendly - the dog may not have attacked us but it certainly attacked that beach ball. The dog grabbed it and ripped it to shreds. My younger cousins are almost in tears as they watch this dog destroy their toy so Mike comes over and apologizes and promises to bring us a new beach ball the next day. And he never did. Jerk Points for Mike Vernon +1.

I also have another Mike Vernon jerk story if you like

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
LOL! Irving had best to leave the phase shifting crap to us Star Trek freaks.

He's a decent diplomatic kid and that's great. No one in his situation is crazy enough to say what's really on their mind.

He should have played starter minutes in the A and stayed sharp for playing in the show.
I don't know if you watched the same game I did but he looked pretty damn sharp last night, also the third string goalie gets most of the pucks every day and every skate in practice as well he spent more time on the ice than any player or goalie with the coaches shaping his game to play in the NHL. The AHL needed wins and Irving needed to be ready for when the NHL came back, sometimes those two things don't go hand in hand.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Flames92

He's listed day to day not out for the season, relax guys. This team is 2nd in fewest shots against, if Irving can pull through on a couple big saves a game we should be able to hold off till then. Lol at oilers fans trolling about the flames goaltending, when their goaltending situation is not any better

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
He's listed day to day not out for the season, relax guys. This team is 2nd in fewest shots against, if Irving can pull through on a couple big saves a game we should be able to hold off till then. Lol at oilers fans trolling about the flames goaltending, when their goaltending situation is not any better
Lawls, not any better, I love our goaltenders, I think we have potentially two #1's they don't like either of theirs and aren't even sure if they have one #1, I'll take our goaltenders every day of the week.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
I don't know if you watched the same game I did but he looked pretty damn sharp last night, also the third string goalie gets most of the pucks every day and every skate in practice as well he spent more time on the ice than any player or goalie with the coaches shaping his game to play in the NHL. The AHL needed wins and Irving needed to be ready for when the NHL came back, sometimes those two things don't go hand in hand.
I did watch the game and came away convinced, like you that he's going to be good and that his AHL coach is an idiot for treating him like a third stringer in the A.

You seem to be forgetting that winning in the A is secondary (Important but still secondary) and that the name of the game is developing players for the Flames. If the Flames need Irving to play a lot in the A then that's what should have happened.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Flames92

Quote:
Lawls, not any better, I love our goaltenders, I think we have potentially two #1's they don't like either of theirs and aren't even sure if they have one #1, I'll take our goaltenders every day of the week.
Prospect wise yes, but I meant the situation presently. And even then were probably still better just cuz Dubnyk wins a Spengler they think they got an all-star in nets

Old
02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Prospect wise yes, but I meant the situation presently. And even then were probably still better just cuz Dubnyk wins a Spengler they think they got an all-star in nets
I'd trade Kipper for Dubnyk pretty easily, Dubnyk is 26 and has averaged a sv% of .915 over the last 2 years on the worst team in the nhl.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
I was like 14 years old playing with a beach ball in a park with my younger cousins in BC when Mike Vernons pit ball I think it was came running toward us and it definitely spooked my younger cousin. Then Mike yells don't worry he is friendly - the dog may not have attacked us but it certainly attacked that beach ball. The dog grabbed it and ripped it to shreds. My younger cousins are almost in tears as they watch this dog destroy their toy so Mike comes over and apologizes and promises to bring us a new beach ball the next day. And he never did. Jerk Points for Mike Vernon +1.

I also have another Mike Vernon jerk story if you like
No thanks, I have heard many of them already, so I know he's a dink.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I'd trade Kipper for Dubnyk pretty easily, Dubnyk is 26 and has averaged a sv% of .915 over the last 2 years on the worst team in the nhl.
I agree his SP is good, but it's the timing and caliber of ga that make me cringe at the prospect of him as our goalie, bad goals cripple momentum, and bad goals come at a premium with Dubnyk, not saying he can't make the big saves or a lot of them when needed, but he is good for one to two bad goals every game. You can't be a starter that way.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Flames92

Quote:
Not a dubnyk fan, and would never do this. Hes not a better goalie then kipper. Kipper comes through for the team at important parts of a game. And he plays on avg 70 games a season, fatigue is another factor that will bring down kippers stats

Last edited by Flames92: 02-06-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old
02-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Final note on Dubnyk for me, it's a lot easier for a goaltender to play well when there is zero pressure to perform, and I can't think of less pressure than going into a game on a team like the Oilers where they expect you to lose and are pleasantly surprised when you didn't lose by much. I think under the pressure of having to win to meet expectations, he'll fold like a plastic picnic table, but that's not for anyone to know for years to come.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
You're probably going to be in the minority on this one.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
You're probably going to be in the minority on this one.
I agree I am usually in the minority with my opinions and thats fine I just tend to disagree.

I agree with alot of what is being said but Kipper has only a year or 2 left as a top goalie I would easily move him with getting a solid starter in Dubnyk back. He isn't as flashy but he does his job well, I also think Kipper would do better in the oilers system then ours. He needs lots of shots to get in the zone, I think a less skilled goalie like Dubnyk would do better seeing as few shots as we allow.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Flames92

Quote:
I agree I am usually in the minority with my opinions and thats fine I just tend to disagree.

I agree with alot of what is being said but Kipper has only a year or 2 left as a top goalie I would easily move him with getting a solid starter in Dubnyk back. He isn't as flashy but he does his job well, I also think Kipper would do better in the oilers system then ours. He needs lots of shots to get in the zone, I think a less skilled goalie like Dubnyk would do better seeing as few shots as we allow.
Possibly, but a trade like this wouldn't make sense for the flames, making a rival team better and not only that kipper can return some gd assets that are not goalies from other teams like toronto or philly. If were thinking of the future with goalies, i think one of our prospects would be a better option

Old
02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:

Fair but from what I know so far and what I've seen I think I would rather have Irving and Ramo than Dubnyk replacing either, I may have a bias, but living in Edmonton I see him play A LOT and I really don't see him ever being a 1A goalie, a sufficient 1B for sure but I don't think ever a 1A. Maybe I'll eat crow one day though, probably predicted a lot of things that blew up in my face haha.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:34 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Fair but from what I know so far and what I've seen I think I would rather have Irving and Ramo than Dubnyk replacing either, I may have a bias, but living in Edmonton I see him play A LOT and I really don't see him ever being a 1A goalie, a sufficient 1B for sure but I don't think ever a 1A. Maybe I'll eat crow one day though, probably predicted a lot of things that blew up in my face haha.
I would rather give Ramo a try over Dubnyk but I don't think we see him this year perhaps next. Again I don't think this is a trade that would happen but I was more of making a point that I wouldn't make fun of the Oilers goalies as I don't think Dubnyk is that bad, its not like he is a back up.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
I would rather give Ramo a try over Dubnyk but I don't think we see him this year perhaps next. Again I don't think this is a trade that would happen but I was more of making a point that I wouldn't make fun of the Oilers goalies as I don't think Dubnyk is that bad, its not like he is a back up.
He may not be bad as a Tandem goalie, but I don't think he can be a workhorse, at least not of a team that wants to win.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Flames92

Quote:
It was more of a response to the oilers fans saying the flames are done bc kippers gone, they dont exactly hav a allstart to be able to say that. Dubnyk a decent goalie not more then that

Old
02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
He may not be bad as a Tandem goalie, but I don't think he can be a workhorse, at least not of a team that wants to win.
No he won't be a work horse I agree but then again I am of the belief that if you want to succeed in the post season your starter shouldn't see more than 60 games in the regular season. I believe that a rested goalie is the key to success not always the most skilled.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
No he won't be a work horse I agree but then again I am of the belief that if you want to succeed in the post season your starter shouldn't see more than 60 games in the regular season. I believe that a rested goalie is the key to success not always the most skilled.
While I agree with you, Quick did play all but 13 of the Kings games last year, and they have a good backup lol.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
While I agree with you, Quick did play all but 13 of the Kings games last year, and they have a good backup lol.
Bernier is nothing special, and Quick like many other goalies before him falls into the elite category and they usually are able to bend the rules. I wouldn't call Kipper elite any more (or over the last few years) and I believe he needs more rest especially in a shortened season as back to backs are common and grueling.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:36 PM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
Quote:
Bernier is nothing special, and Quick like many other goalies before him falls into the elite category and they usually are able to bend the rules. I wouldn't call Kipper elite any more (or over the last few years) and I believe he needs more rest especially in a shortened season as back to backs are common and grueling.
So, Bernier is "nothing special", so you wouldn't trade for him, all the while you would trade for Dubynk? Do you think Dubnyk is the next big thing?

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
So, Bernier is "nothing special", so you wouldn't trade for him, all the while you would trade for Dubynk? Do you think Dubnyk is the next big thing?
No but Bernier has been less than impressive on a very defensive team while Dubynk has been very solid on a really ****** team.

Bernier gets alot of credit based on his draft position, in the last 2 years he has been mediocre.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Gary83*

Quote:

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote