HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corsi Numbers for Pens

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 12:50 PM
  #1
vodeni
Registered User
 
vodeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Corsi Numbers for Pens

Despres has the highest Corsi score, followed by Nisky, Malking, Sid and Letang
it is alarming that our third line has a very low number, basically saying that they do not posses the puck and have a very little offensive production

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

What do you make of it?

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:51 PM
  #2
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,412
vCash: 500
small sample, for now.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:55 PM
  #3
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander
 
Frederick Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
I never head about the Corsi Numbers until yesterday, when someone from another forum posted it.

Am I the only one? How long does this statistic exist?

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:59 PM
  #4
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
I never head about the Corsi Numbers until yesterday, when someone from another forum posted it.

Am I the only one? How long does this statistic exist?
I have heard of it for awhile now, but I know little about it. Haven't really studied it or researched it.
I have no idea if it holds any validity or not. But I guess that it's validity would be very subjective. Meaningful for some, meaningless for others.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
  #5
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
I never head about the Corsi Numbers until yesterday, when someone from another forum posted it.

Am I the only one? How long does this statistic exist?
I have no clue what "corsi" is whatsoever. Hockey isn't baseball...

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:08 PM
  #6
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,160
vCash: 500
http://thehockeywriters.com/corsi-nu...hl-statistics/

Quote:
Based on his Corsi Numbers, right-winger Teddy Purcell was a good signing by the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Haven’t heard of “Corsi Numbers”? You’re not alone.

The NHL isn’t known as a statistically progressive organization. It often lags behind other major sports leagues when it comes to analytical number-crunching.

But new categories of statistics are gaining popularity and these state-of-the-art numbers are shining light into the dim corners of one of the world’s fastest and most complex games.

Corsi Numbers have gained popularity as a statistical measure of a player's contribution - the results are often surprising.


Last edited by shureshot66: 02-05-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Copyright
KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:13 PM
  #7
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,500
vCash: 500
Because it does not distinguish between good scoring chances and bad, or shots that get through to the net in some cases, it's a pretty meaningless thing AFAICT but I don't know that much about it.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:17 PM
  #8
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,922
vCash: 50
So MA Bergeron is a good player acccording to corsi? The guy only plays on the PP of course he is gonna be on the ice for more shots for than shots against...

I really don't get the relevance of it all.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:20 PM
  #9
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
So MA Bergeron is a good player acccording to corsi? The guy only plays on the PP of course he is gonna be on the ice for more shots for than shots against...

I really don't get the relevance of it all.
It's measured only for 5 on 5 play from what I can tell, so MAB's PP time does not impact his corsi number. However, it doesn't and can't take into account the amount of offensive zone starts he would get over other dmen on their team. So yeah, as the article says, it's not a silver bullet and needs to be taken in context. I'd say he is an outlier.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
  #10
vodeni
Registered User
 
vodeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
It's measured only for 5 on 5 play from what I can tell, so MAB's PP time does not impact his corsi number. However, it doesn't and can't take into account the amount of offensive zone starts he would get over other dmen on their team. So yeah, as the article says, it's not a silver bullet and needs to be taken in context. I'd say he is an outlier.
it is adjusted by the number of offensive or defensive starts, they count that in, also there is a relative number that takes into consideration a quality of the opponents that one player is up against while on ice, in other words, Brandon Sutter and mat Cooke although with the worst offensive Corsi number, get bounce back because the opposing five they face have very high Corsi number, quite complicated but IMO it can show some real trends in development of a player...
and yes its only 5 on 5

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
  #11
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,792
vCash: 500
Is there any evidence that any NHL coaching staff/Gm's use this data?? Like in baseball, Sabremetrics is used by many teams.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:58 PM
  #12
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,373
vCash: 80
I'm not sure how accurate these ratings are when our shutdown pairing of Orpik/Martin (who have played well for the most part) are near the bottom of the roster.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:06 PM
  #13
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
Despres has the highest Corsi score, followed by Nisky, Malking, Sid and Letang
it is alarming that our third line has a very low number, basically saying that they do not posses the puck and have a very little offensive production

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

What do you make of it?
Welcome to the complex world of starting to understand much more about hockey. Corsi is a great stat, but with every stat, there is "context" that is critical to understand. Corsi is heavy context related and this refers to how a player is used by a coach.

Pens 3rd line is a great example. Not only do they play against top competition (ie positive +- players, or 1st/2nd liners), they also start a high percentage of their starts in the defensive zone. This zone start metric is probably the biggest reason they are last in corsi on the pens. Byslma prefers to have them on the ice for defensive zone faceoffs (along with the 4th line for some reason).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...61+62+64+65+66

Bylsma seems to like to heavily load his lines to optimize his chances of scoring. Top 2 lines (players who "can" score and have higher shooting %s) tend to start more shifts in offensive zone, while the 3rd/4th lines are tasked with tough assignments of getting the puck out of their defensive zone and pushing play into the other end.

The corsi numbers ARE NOT zone start adjusted which is very misleading. They are adjusted relative to team only.
Zone starts is the biggest factor to adjust for.


Depres is doing fairly well despite having a relatively easy assignment by Bylsma. Dan is sheltering Depres from other team's top lines, and a lot of defensive zone starts. He is still doing well though, indicating he should be able to handle more of a defensive load.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:10 PM
  #14
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I'm not sure how accurate these ratings are when our shutdown pairing of Orpik/Martin (who have played well for the most part) are near the bottom of the roster.
They are not ratings. Corsi is only 1 stat to use. Orpik and Martin have been doing fantastically by all statistical measures.

GAA / 60min of ice time is my preferred defensive stat. It accounts for both corsi, and on ice shooting % while a defender is out on the ice. Just remember the context also applies to this as well.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+25+26+27+28#

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
  #15
vodeni
Registered User
 
vodeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
They are not ratings. Corsi is only 1 stat to use. Orpik and Martin have been doing fantastically by all statistical measures.

GAA / 60min of ice time is my preferred defensive stat. It accounts for both corsi, and on ice shooting % while a defender is out on the ice. Just remember the context also applies to this as well.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+25+26+27+28#
I guess that's why Lovejoy is in the line up again tonight, so he can improve his over 4 GAA/60 number...

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
  #16
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
I imagine Tampa is up there because of the 1-3-1 they were running. And when they were running that in full Bergeron seemed to be thier favorite option to be the back one. All he had to to was wait for teams to chip it in then go retrieve it.

Thats my only contribution to this thread.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:44 PM
  #17
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
it is adjusted by the number of offensive or defensive starts, they count that in, also there is a relative number that takes into consideration a quality of the opponents that one player is up against while on ice, in other words, Brandon Sutter and mat Cooke although with the worst offensive Corsi number, get bounce back because the opposing five they face have very high Corsi number, quite complicated but IMO it can show some real trends in development of a player...
and yes its only 5 on 5
I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying. Someday I will dig into all the details of it. If that's the case, I wonder how MAB had such a high number. He played well in those playoffs, but he isn't a defensive stalwart by any means.

Edit: Seems that you were wrong haha. It seemed odd that zone starts would be included.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
  #18
Pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Brandon Sutter starts 60% of his shifts in the defensive zone and he has not been on the ice for an even strength goal all season. He's the only Pen player with that distinction.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
  #19
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
Despres has the highest Corsi score, followed by Nisky, Malking, Sid and Letang
it is alarming that our third line has a very low number, basically saying that they do not posses the puck and have a very little offensive production

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

What do you make of it?
Do we need Corsi to tell us that? They have a combined 3 goals.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
  #20
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,153
vCash: 500
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#


This is probably the better stat to look at. It's corsi adjusted for difficulty of opposition.

And yeah, there's a huge difference in this for Martin compared to what he was doing in last year's playoffs, as if it wasn't already blatantly obvious how much better he's been.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:10 PM
  #21
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Do we need Corsi to tell us that? They have a combined 3 goals.
My day job involves a fair bit of statistical arbitrage in financial markets. I dream of finding situations where people believe in models like this.

Corsi is supposed to be a good way to figure out which 3rd liners are the most efficient. Someone that believes in Corsi thinks Tyler Kennedy is a better 2-way player than Pascal Dupuis. Kennedy is consistently a better Corsi player than Dupuis. Anyone that knows anything about hockey knows Dupuis is a clearly superior 2-way player.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
  #22
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
My day job involves a fair bit of statistical arbitrage in financial markets. I dream of finding situations where people believe in models like this.

Corsi is supposed to be a good way to figure out which 3rd liners are the most efficient. Someone that believes in Corsi thinks Tyler Kennedy is a better 2-way player than Pascal Dupuis. Kennedy is consistently a better Corsi player than Dupuis. Anyone that knows anything about hockey knows Dupuis is a clearly superior 2-way player.
Corsi is an accurate measure of two way play - said by nobody who has anything valuable to say on the subject of Corsi.

I have to run so I'll make this very brief. Corsi is a loose but ultimately statistically significant statistic which measures a players ability to influence goal differential at even strength. That is it. It has some outliers and needs to be context adjusted, but anybody arguing that it is meaningless should be ignored.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:44 PM
  #23
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
Corsi is an accurate measure of two way play - said by nobody who has anything valuable to say on the subject of Corsi.

I have to run so I'll make this very brief. Corsi is a loose but ultimately statistically significant statistic which measures a players ability to influence goal differential at even strength. That is it. It has some outliers and needs to be context adjusted, but anybody arguing that it is meaningless should be ignored.
Then, how do you explain M-A Bergerin leading the league in corsi during the playoffs? The guy is one of the WORST defensive player I've ever seen.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:26 PM
  #24
Pitt's Best #87 #66
Registered User
 
Pitt's Best #87 #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Then, how do you explain M-A Bergerin leading the league in corsi during the playoffs? The guy is one of the WORST defensive player I've ever seen.
I think you need to re-read his post.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:21 AM
  #25
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Then, how do you explain M-A Bergerin leading the league in corsi during the playoffs? The guy is one of the WORST defensive player I've ever seen.
Corsi is NOT a measure of defensive prowess. It is a measure of shots for/against. This is why Gogo was and still is a Corsi monster on D. It is better to play "defense" in the other team's zone. It also doesn't take into account any shot quality for/against. This is why Crosby's corsi is better than TK's corsi. This is also why the Pens had to part ways with Michalek for basically nothing. He was/is a poor defensively player.

The corsi rel qualcomp list is only the "adjustment" that is added/subtracted to the raw corsi numbers. It is not very significant. Zone starts adjustments (which unfortunately aren't accounted for anywhere on behindthenet) are absolutely critical. Nothing impacts your corsi numbers more than where you start your shifts.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.