HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers re-assign forward Mark Arcobello to OKC (Feb. 7th)

Old
02-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Chooch

vCash: 500
Finally, somebody that ACTUALLY deserves a call up.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:20 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The last few games he's played well. Considerably better than anybody on our vaunted first line. Amazing what getting away from Horc will due to your game.
Or actually, you know, playing freaking hockey.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Or actually, you know, playing freaking hockey.
WEll, theres a point to his effort now not dragging around an anchor like Horcoff. Can't imagine anybody on the club appreciates that role.

Horc could do the honorable thing some day and just retire knowing his shoulder prevents him from being a hockey player but I'm not waiting for it.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:44 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
WEll, theres a point to his effort now not dragging around an anchor like Horcoff. Can't imagine anybody on the club appreciates that role.

Horc could do the honorable thing some day and just retire knowing his shoulder prevents him from being a hockey player but I'm not waiting for it.
If Smyth is that much of a bum that playing with Horcoff is making him pout then maybe he should retire first.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:50 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Yakupov-Gagner-Eberle
Hartikainen-Arcobello-Paajarvi
Eager-Lander-Smyth
I like those lines too.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
Bingo, that is an awsome lineup, it is very dynamicly balanced.

Can you tell me why you chose to create these threesomes? What factors made the players work together for you? Because I love the look of these lines.

I watched Arco this year as well and believe I am most impressed by his willingness to play wherever he can help most in any and all or no situations, he is a real team player.
I went based on Krueger's thought process of swapping a single player on each of the top 2 lines. I decided to keep Hall with RNH because of his speed which compliments RNH well and gives him space to work. I then dropped Eberle down a line because IMO he hasn't been getting as many quality chances as I'd like so by spreading the wealth he might face lesser checking some nights. This meant that Hemsky went to the top line because like Hall he has the speed element and Krueger seems to like playing Hall and Hemsky together 4 on 4 so he must like something that he's seen there. Then we have the 3rd line which I'd normally leave alone (Nordic line) but since Arco has been called up and he isn't the biggest of guys but he is a much better offensive option than Lander he gets 2 large bookends which he has at least played with on the PP in OKC. This meant that the harder to play against Lander drops to the 4th line where he centers Eager and Smyth. So we have basically a 1A/1B scoring line, a 3rd line with offensive abilities, and a 4th line that is defensively aware and a pain in the ass to play against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Call me crazy, but based on the injuries we have, the bottom two lines aren't all that bad. The third line here could be fun to watch.
IMO it's all about how they configure the lines, if Arco doesn't drown at the NHL level we're alright IMO. If there's one thing that I know about Arcobello, it's that he's a competitor and you know that you'll be getting an honest effort from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I like those lines too.
Thanks, I like the balance and think that it could work well. Not sure if Ralph will tinker with his lineup much or not, but if he does, I wouldn't mind seeing how the above lineup would work.

02-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Nordic line stay together and Smyth centering Arco and Eager either.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:59 AM
CupofOil

I don't get this move at all.
So we lose our 2 best defensive centers and valuable PKers and instead of calling up a guy who fills that role in Vande Velde who hasn't looked out of place in the NHL before, they call up a tiny, skilled center to basically play in the bottom 6? Did they do it as a favor to Arcobello because he works hard? How does he fill the role of the guys who went down? Just a very curious decision.

I'd much rather pick up any scraps like Steckel or even somebody like Morrison than promote Arcobello.
Good for Arco but odd move.

Last edited by CupofOil: 02-06-2013 at 08:05 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
So we lose our 2 best defensive centers and valuable PKers and instead of calling up a guy who fills that role in Vande Velde who hasn't looked out of place in the NHL before, they call up a tiny, skilled center to basically play in the bottom 6? Did they do it as a favor to Arcobello because he works hard? How does he fill the role of the guys who went down? Just a very curious decision.

I'd much rather pick up any scraps like Steckel or even somebody like Morrison than promote Arcobello.
I haven't been too impressed with VV to be honest.

Just my opinion though.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Perfect_Drug

Congrats to Arcobello, but I think his arrival signals we are a bottom-5 team once again.

We're icing more than half of a lineup that could barely hold an AHL playoff spot, let alone the NHL.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:49 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I haven't been too impressed with VV to be honest.

Just my opinion though.
Me neither but he would fill the PK, defensive center role better than Arcobello, i have little doubt about that. I was satisfied with VV's NHL stint last season, nothing flashy but he played his role well.
Arcobello might jumpstart the 3rd line offense but the void left by Horcoff and Belanger's absence is defensive awareness and penalty killing as well as faceoffs. I haven't been watching the Barons lately, can anybody chime in on Arcobello's faceoff prowess? He seemed ok on faceoffs when i watched him but feel that he would get overwhelmed at this level.
He's a competitor but he's really REALLY small, i understand that size isn't the end all be all but Arcobello is tiny and he's not fast enough to make up for the lack of size IMO.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:01 AM
bewbies

Sure hope Arco does well with this chance. I'm not sold that he's got a future as an NHL regular but I hope he turns into a pretty solid fringe guy: excellent AHL player, decent injury replacement. I love having him in OKC.

That said, I think he's probably going to have a REALLY rough go of things early on. He's not got the kind of strength and balance/speed that guys like MSL and Conacher have so I suspect he'll be a bit of a pinball, but if he finds some space he'll do some good things.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Agree with CupofOil: good for the organization for rewarding Arcobello's hard work, but with Horc and Belanger out it's an odd move.

I said at the start of the season it felt like a "lets figure out who fits in here long-term" kinda year and this move, along with the Potter/Fistric bait and switch, just reinforces that for me.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I went based on Krueger's thought process of swapping a single player on each of the top 2 lines. I decided to keep Hall with RNH because of his speed which compliments RNH well and gives him space to work. I then dropped Eberle down a line because IMO he hasn't been getting as many quality chances as I'd like so by spreading the wealth he might face lesser checking some nights. This meant that Hemsky went to the top line because like Hall he has the speed element and Krueger seems to like playing Hall and Hemsky together 4 on 4 so he must like something that he's seen there. Then we have the 3rd line which I'd normally leave alone (Nordic line) but since Arco has been called up and he isn't the biggest of guys but he is a much better offensive option than Lander he gets 2 large bookends which he has at least played with on the PP in OKC. This meant that the harder to play against Lander drops to the 4th line where he centers Eager and Smyth. So we have basically a 1A/1B scoring line, a 3rd line with offensive abilities, and a 4th line that is defensively aware and a pain in the ass to play against.

IMO it's all about how they configure the lines, if Arco doesn't drown at the NHL level we're alright IMO. If there's one thing that I know about Arcobello, it's that he's a competitor and you know that you'll be getting an honest effort from him.

Thanks, I like the balance and think that it could work well. Not sure if Ralph will tinker with his lineup much or not, but if he does, I wouldn't mind seeing how the above lineup would work.

Can't say as I give much for those lines. I don't believe they solve anything..It's RNH and Eberle that have the connection, not RNH/ Hall. Gagner works better with Hall and Hemsky. Yak needs to go to the right side with RNH setting up the one-timers and Eberle get's most of his points from the left.

Don't see the value of Accr coming up in this situation but shelter him at least.

I'm not a big fan of the Nordic line as most..They don't seem to know where the net is most of the time. That's not bad for the 4th line but can't work for the 3rd, which needs to chip in...

I'd roll with...

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Eberle-RNH-Yakupov
Smyth-Arcobello-Eager
Hartikainen-Lander-Paajarvi

None of this solves the defensive issues but only different personnel will do that..

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Credit for seeing beyond this move.

In the midst of a 3 game losing streak, with a tough opponent and lots on the line, with struggling 5 on 5 play and a firstline that is in a serious stall the Oilers bring up somebody thats not played in the NHL and isn't likely to have many answers to the many questions right now. They do this personnel move with two vet Centers down. Move someobdy up thats never been here.

In soccer this would be considered a "cynical" move and one that causes question about how serious the org is about providing a competitve squad right now.

Finally, what proactive measure has the org put in place so that the expected, and predictable usual injury to Shawn Horcoff doesn't result in a shortage of NHL ready Centers. I don't know VV is the answer either and frankly we don't have one in OKC. Why is that? The circumstance of Horc going down isn't exactly surprising any and everytime it happens. RNH also didn't look entirely comfortable this year in OKC and as we know was seriously injured last season. Is it really going to be a surprise when he too is hobbled?
I know you can't have a contingency plan for everything but Horc and Belanger have questionable commitment here, would go down for a trick eyelash, and RNH doesn't look to have a frame that can withstand NHL punishment. We went into the season with a porcelain lineup at Center with Gagner being the only guy I expect to play a lot of games. People can say misfortune except that all this is quite predictable. Indeed I am predicting some of it.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Hockey Nightmare

I'd just like to point out that 3rd line centres should be able to score occasionally and as "perfect" a 3rd line centre as Horcoff is, he has barely been putting up the points lately. If putting Arcobello in can increase the offense while winning faceoffs and playing a decent defensive game, then so be it.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Belanger could be back by the weekend. That's why Arco got called up and they didn't race out and grab someone else for one or maybe 2 games.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:26 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

No doubt the Oilers are thin at centre. IMO Lander, Pitlick, Martindale haven't really developed as well as expected so far.

The name of the game for the Oilers so far in this rebuild has been developing from within so patience was always going to be a major factor in being able to develop the depth from within the org to cope with losing 2 of the roster centres.

They have basically Arco and VV as fill in options for a few games until Belanger comes back which shouldn't be more than a week or so.

VV is 25 and has already had a couple cups of coffee with the Oilers... I think what you see is what you basically are going to get with VandeVelde at this stage.

VV is very likely a career AHL guy and having Arcobello get his first look in the NHL at age 24 isn't a bad alternative for a few games.

The Oilers are certainly ****** the OKC lineup though... the leading scorer left there now is Marincin with 16 pts in 40 games. The Holy Triumvirate sent down from up above won't get them into the playoffs at this stage.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Credit for seeing beyond this move.

In the midst of a 3 game losing streak, with a tough opponent and lots on the line, with struggling 5 on 5 play and a firstline that is in a serious stall the Oilers bring up somebody thats not played in the NHL and isn't likely to have many answers to the many questions right now. They do this personnel move with two vet Centers down. Move someobdy up thats never been here.

In soccer this would be considered a "cynical" move and one that causes question about how serious the org is about providing a competitve squad right now.

Finally, what proactive measure has the org put in place so that the expected, and predictable usual injury to Shawn Horcoff doesn't result in a shortage of NHL ready Centers. I don't know VV is the answer either and frankly we don't have one in OKC. Why is that? The circumstance of Horc going down isn't exactly surprising any and everytime it happens. RNH also didn't look entirely comfortable this year in OKC and as we know was seriously injured last season. Is it really going to be a surprise when he too is hobbled?
I know you can't have a contingency plan for everything but Horc and Belanger have questionable commitment here, would go down for a trick eyelash, and RNH doesn't look to have a frame that can withstand NHL punishment. We went into the season with a porcelain lineup at Center with Gagner being the only guy I expect to play a lot of games. People can say misfortune except that all this is quite predictable. Indeed I am predicting some of it.
Seriously? No committment? And breaking knuckles and toes while blocking shots and doing said "no committment" is "going down for a trick eyelash"? This has gone beyond ridiculous.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
No doubt the Oilers are thin at centre. IMO Lander, Pitlick, Martindale haven't really developed as well as expected so far.

The name of the game for the Oilers so far in this rebuild has been developing from within so patience was always going to be a major factor in being able to develop the depth from within the org to cope with losing 2 of the roster centres.

They have basically Arco and VV as fill in options for a few games until Belanger comes back which shouldn't be more than a week or so.

VV is 25 and has already had a couple cups of coffee with the Oilers... I think what you see is what you basically are going to get with VandeVelde at this stage.

VV is very likely a career AHL guy and having Arcobello get his first look in the NHL at age 24 isn't a bad alternative for a few games.

The Oilers are certainly ****** the OKC lineup though... the leading scorer left there now is Marincin with 16 pts in 40 games. The Holy Triumvirate sent down from up above won't get them into the playoffs at this stage.
This is what I'm getting at. The Oil have several in the wings centers but none of which are adequate call ups. To make matters worse they aren't prospects either. They're just there, as career AHLers. Thats fine if your OKC, if you're the Oilers it serves negligible function. The cupboard is bare of NHL intended centers. Lander is the only one that can even legitimately be called a prospect at this point.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Seriously? No committment? And breaking knuckles and toes while blocking shots and doing said "no committment" is "going down for a trick eyelash"? This has gone beyond ridiculous.
I could set my watch to Horcoff being injured. Oh, its that time of year already..

The guy is made out of glass at this point and could give a ****. I don't know what could be more clear.

Belanger? Playing out the string for some easy retirement money. Haven't seen consistent indication he's interested in being here or helping the club all that much.

you seriously going to argue commitment of these players with me?

Other than the blocked shot what do you got. Belanger takes faceoffs? I think its in the job description. Apparently not competing in the slightest is as well. Belanger has been somewhat bette this year but for the most part has been a ghost here.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:50 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
I could set my watch to Horcoff being injured. Oh, its that time of year already..

The guy is made out of glass at this point and could give a ****. I don't know what could be more clear.

Belanger? Playing out the string for some easy retirement money. Haven't seen consistent indication he's interested in being here or helping the club all that much.

you seriously going to argue commitment of these players with me?

Other than the blocked shot what do you got. Belanger takes faceoffs? I think its in the job description. Apparently not competing in the slightest is as well. Belanger has been somewhat bette this year but for the most part has been a ghost here.
So Belanger being our main penalty killer means nothing?

Where do you come up with this crap?

Have the 6th best PK in the league, but must have zip to do with the main PK guy and the fact that he is our best faceoff guy.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
McArthur

Eberle claims that arcobello has skills like the Nuge...

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Hitchslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Have the 6th best PK in the league, but must have zip to do with the main PK guy and the fact that he is our best faceoff guy.
He wins faceoffs but the rest of the time doesn't look like he gives a ****. Petrell is better on the PK once the puck is dropped. I get the vibe that Belanger couldn't care less about winning.

He's so slow on races to the puck. Never gives the extra effort to beat someone else to it.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Do you attribute those results to Belanger? I don't. pk is a unit, not one player, and we have 2-3 centers here that appear to have no other useful role. We should be good on the pk, we sure pay a lot of coin for it..