HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

3 years later, Taylor Hall Vs. Tyler Seguin

View Poll Results: Tyler Vs Taylor
Taylor Hall 449 57.86%
Tyler Seguin 327 42.14%
Voters: 776. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Big fat dad

vCash: 500
Give me Hall's heart/try with Seguin's hockey IQ and there's a heck of a player.

If I gotta pick one now its Seguin. Hall is too reckless for me and seems to try to force things.

Big fat dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Parise09*

Hall.

Parise09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:09 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
have to take hall in terms of a player

but it seems every game we play edmonton hall goes into the boards awkwardly, making me go is he going to get up?

Skip2myBordyloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:17 AM
Arpeggio

Hall's clearly has had a better career up to this point. The only pro-Seguin argument you can make is that you think he has a higher ceiling. Which is fine, but for the last three years, Hall has been better.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Parise09*

Anyone that gets drafted 1st overall in this day and age of scouting (don't give me the Daigle crap) does NOT lack hockey sense. They would not have been drafted 1st overall otherwise.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:23 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
Anyone that gets drafted 1st overall in this day and age of scouting (don't give me the Daigle crap) does NOT lack hockey sense. They would not have been drafted 1st overall otherwise.
Of course he has hockey sense, but relative to players drafted first overall, not much.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:24 AM
jgoud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Seguin is off to a bit of a disapointing start, 6 points in 9 games. 2 of those points came in 2 minutes of the third period on a hot streak so they don't count so really he has 4 points. Like last year in reality he had 67 points but reality is wrong it was less. Last nights game was a bummer to with the Bruins scoring 2 goals during a 2 minute hot streak when the Habs led for most of the game and aside for that stretch it was 1-0 Habs. Reality was wrong again the Bruins won 2-1 but really the Habs won 1-0. Disregard the w on the stats.
This would have been a lot funnier if you had even the gramatical ability of an 8 year old.

jgoud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:29 AM
The Sweetness

Too close to call. Two excellent players I'd love to have on the Rangers. Let's check back in another few years.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:41 AM
Parise09*

The thing with Seguin is if he doesn't score points you don't notice him on the ice at all; whereas, for Hall even if he doesn't score a point in a game, you can always see him flying, creating chances and what not. I've watched a few Bruins games and, honestly, Seguin seems more like a complementary player than someone you can build your offence around (i.e. Hall).

Old
02-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Horseradish

Hall and I don't think twice. He's EASILY the best forward on Edmonton. Literally drives the play single-handedly against almost every team Edmonton has played. When RNH and Eberle play without him, they get outchanced, quite badly. When Hall's on the ice, he absolutely slays in Corsi and Scoring Chances. SLAYS.

Seguin's a very good second liner with a bit more defensive responsibility, but it's moot because Hall is always driving the play in the other direction anyway.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
The thing with Seguin is if he doesn't score points you don't notice him on the ice at all; whereas, for Hall even if he doesn't score a point in a game, you can always see him flying, creating chances and what not. I've watched a few Bruins games and, honestly, Seguin seems more like a complementary player than someone you can build your offence around (i.e. Hall).
Clearly you missed most of last season then, when he lead us in scoring...

Its embarrassing this poll is bumped every couple weeks, because you know when Seguin goes on a tear and Hall goes on a cold streak a lot will change their minds.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

Toss up for me, but everyone loses here because we have to see this embarrassment of a thread every week

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Hall and I don't think twice. He's EASILY the best forward on Edmonton. Literally drives the play single-handedly against almost every team Edmonton has played. When RNH and Eberle play without him, they get outchanced, quite badly. When Hall's on the ice, he absolutely slays in Corsi and Scoring Chances. SLAYS.

Seguin's a very good second liner with a bit more defensive responsibility, but it's moot because Hall is always driving the play in the other direction anyway.

Aww how kind of you.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post

Aww how kind of you.
I really think the Edmonton-Vancouver rivalry is really overplayed, most people I know really like the Oilers, specifically my two roommates who are the bigger Oilers homers. Youre bound to get fans with such electric players playing such an exciting style of hockey. Also the Oil Change series makes the players quite likeable

Old
02-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I really think the Edmonton-Vancouver rivalry is really overplayed, most people I know really like the Oilers, specifically my two roommates who are the bigger Oilers homers. Youre bound to get fans with such electric players playing such an exciting style of hockey. Also the Oil Change series makes the players quite likeable
Then the ridiculous trolls of HF skew my view.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Then the ridiculous trolls of HF skew my view.
same both ways there a diehards that never change their mind and hate most other teams, but I feel a lot of people are coming around. Once you guys start taking over the division we'll bring the hate in full force though

Old
02-21-2013, 10:06 AM
MarchandMadness 63*

Tyler Seguin is the better overall player. Of course they won't admit it,but if Edmonton could do it all over again they would have taken Seguin first instead of Hall.

MarchandMadness 63* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandMadness 63 View Post
Of course they won't admit it,but if Edmonton could do it all over again they would have taken Seguin first instead of Hall.
Who is 'Edmonton'... management- not a chance... coaches- doubt it, Hall is leaned in like no other Oiler... scouts- no, they had full access to both kids for an entire calendar year and chose who they wanted that day and for the next ten years... fans... maybe a small minority

But Seguin's done absolutely nothing to warrant him being the hands-down choice over him in a do-over... he is exactly what the Oilers do not need more of: skilled gifted enigmatic RWs.

SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandMadness 63 View Post
Tyler Seguin is the better overall player. Of course they won't admit it,but if Edmonton could do it all over again they would have taken Seguin first instead of Hall.
What has Seguin done to make him a better overall player?

FYI: Oilers management are in love with Hall. So I doubt you are correct.

Johnny McBravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Clearly you missed most of last season then, when he lead us in scoring...

Its embarrassing this poll is bumped every couple weeks, because you know when Seguin goes on a tear and Hall goes on a cold streak a lot will change their minds.

you know what the terrifying thing is? Hall is scoring points at a really good pace so far while still not scoring goals at a rate you might expect from him. He's not on a hot streak right now, if he actually does get hot then more shots will go in and he'll score even more. Seguin might be cold right now, but Hall isn't exactly hot in terms of goal scoring either. That's the frightening thing when it comes to Hall, he's carrying the play quite heavily already without having any luck around the net.

I know that bruins fans love seguin and they should, he's a hell of a player, but Hall has been better every step of the way and that's just continuing this year.

missinthejets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
b in vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Hall's clearly has had a better career up to this point. The only pro-Seguin argument you can make is that you think he has a higher ceiling. Which is fine, but for the last three years, Hall has been better.
? It might be your choice of wording but 'better career'? No! Seguin has won a Cup. Hall has finished last and 2nd last. Seguin has not had every year of his career derailed by injuries whereas - You can say Hall is the better player but - 'Career' Seguin and it is not even vaguely closely possibly on God's green Earth close.
If you asked Taylor Hall right now who has had the better career he says Tyler Seguin without a moment's hesitation.

Made me think of this though.
Peter Statsny was one of my favourite players. He was amazing and is one of the most underrated players of all-time as a forgotten superstar. He was the only player worth anything on a struggling Nordiques team, carried his brothers and Goulet and was one of the top players for a decade.
On the other hand - I never like Glenn Anderson. He annoyed me. I don't think he was nearly as good as his numbers suggest. He dove. He whined. He lived off of the rest of the superstars on that team.
P. Statsny was a top 5 player in the league while Anderson might not have been a top 5 player on his team.
If you ask me who had the better career - Glenn Anderson without a doubt.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:48 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Can't wait for "4 years later, Taylor versus Tyler"

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
? It might be your choice of wording but 'better career'? No! Seguin has won a Cup. Hall has finished last and 2nd last. Seguin has not had every year of his career derailed by injuries whereas - You can say Hall is the better player but - 'Career' Seguin and it is not even vaguely closely possibly on God's green Earth close.
If you asked Taylor Hall right now who has had the better career he says Tyler Seguin without a moment's hesitation.
Always the worst argument ever.
I blame Toronto, so Seguin wouldn't even have sniffed the playoffs and these threads would stop being made.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:55 AM
dss97

I honestly can't put my finger on the source of people thinking Hall has no hockey sense. Perhaps it because he handles the puck awkwardly? I really don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post

Made me think of this though.
Peter Statsny was one of my favourite players. He was amazing and is one of the most underrated players of all-time as a forgotten superstar. He was the only player worth anything on a struggling Nordiques team, carried his brothers and Goulet and was one of the top players for a decade.
On the other hand - I never like Glenn Anderson. He annoyed me. I don't think he was nearly as good as his numbers suggest. He dove. He whined. He lived off of the rest of the superstars on that team.
P. Statsny was a top 5 player in the league while Anderson might not have been a top 5 player on his team.
If you ask me who had the better career - Glenn Anderson without a doubt.
And if we selected Seguin, Hall would have a cup and Seguin would have finished in the lottery twice in a row. So what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

dss97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:57 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
you know what the terrifying thing is? Hall is scoring points at a really good pace so far while still not scoring goals at a rate you might expect from him. He's not on a hot streak right now, if he actually does get hot then more shots will go in and he'll score even more. Seguin might be cold right now, but Hall isn't exactly hot in terms of goal scoring either. That's the frightening thing when it comes to Hall, he's carrying the play quite heavily already without having any luck around the net.

I know that bruins fans love seguin and they should, he's a hell of a player, but Hall has been better every step of the way and that's just continuing this year.
You can't say he's not on a streak now. Oilor fans love to point out Seguin's "hot streak" at the beginning of last year when arguing that he's not as good as his point total showed last season. After 10 games last year, that wasn't a streak. He was on pace for 82 points. Then he "cooled off". Looking back, you might make a case for calling it a hot streak, but at the time, no.

So you can't say this isn't a hot streak for Hall and you can't say it is one either. You have to wait til the end of the season to judge.

You can't really say "well he's not scoring goals right now either, so the only way his point total can go is up," either.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote