HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

3 years later, Taylor Hall Vs. Tyler Seguin

View Poll Results: Tyler Vs Taylor
Taylor Hall 449 57.94%
Tyler Seguin 326 42.06%
Voters: 775. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
you know what the terrifying thing is? Hall is scoring points at a really good pace so far while still not scoring goals at a rate you might expect from him. He's not on a hot streak right now, if he actually does get hot then more shots will go in and he'll score even more. Seguin might be cold right now, but Hall isn't exactly hot in terms of goal scoring either. That's the frightening thing when it comes to Hall, he's carrying the play quite heavily already without having any luck around the net.

I know that bruins fans love seguin and they should, he's a hell of a player, but Hall has been better every step of the way and that's just continuing this year.
I'm just saying in general. Hall will have a 10 game span with 1 or 2 goals and 5 0r 6 points, and Seguin will have a 10 game span with 12-14 points and HF Boards will just blow Seguin up and down the website (and vice versa).

They both have similar projections...until they've developed fully and had 5 or so years under them its pretty much fruitless to pick either of them.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:14 PM
b in vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Always the worst argument ever.
I blame Toronto, so Seguin wouldn't even have sniffed the playoffs and these threads would stop being made.
I was quoting Arpeggio who said Hall has easily had the better career so far.
That's what I was referring to. Not whether Hall was the better player or Seguin or whatnot.
If the Bruins had drafted Hall and Boston still won the Cup and Seguin had a bunch of injuries then Hall would have the better career to this point.
It was 'Career' that I was arguing - not talent or impact or however you want to set it.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Clearly you missed most of last season then, when he lead us in scoring...

Its embarrassing this poll is bumped every couple weeks, because you know when Seguin goes on a tear and Hall goes on a cold streak a lot will change their minds.
Let's be honest here he may have lead the team in scoring but he wasn't even the best player on his line AINEC. I don't agree with the whole complementary comment but he's, and there's no shame in this, the second or even third wheel (behind Marchand) on his line still.

I really don't get the argument that Seguin>Hall, Hall has been better every season since juniors. I could see one arguing that it's close to even. I also think both end up as centers in the long run, so i don't see that being in favor of Seguin either (who is a winger too).

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
I was quoting Arpeggio who said Hall has easily had the better career so far.
That's what I was referring to. Not whether Hall was the better player or Seguin or whatnot.
If the Bruins had drafted Hall and Boston still won the Cup and Seguin had a bunch of injuries then Hall would have the better career to this point.
It was 'Career' that I was arguing - not talent or impact or however you want to set it.
So much fail.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandMadness 63 View Post
Tyler Seguin is the better overall player. Of course they won't admit it,but if Edmonton could do it all over again they would have taken Seguin first instead of Hall.
Actually they wouldn't. Hall has been the better player by a small margin thus far in their careers.

They made the right choice then and they'd make the exact same choice again now.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

I don't really think anything has changed. Hall is the more dynamic, reckless player with an amazing set of tools and somewhat flawed decision making. Seguin has less natural skill but is more composed.

I can't really choose. They're about equal in value and probably will be equal in offensive production going forward.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Thought Seguin was better the day he was drafted. Still do.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post

Aww how kind of you.
Actually, I've been living in Peru for 6 months, so I should change that.

But, besides, I was born and raised in Edmonton. Just couldn't handle the winters.

Not to burst your bubble, but...

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Actually, I've been living in Peru for 6 months, so I should change that.

But, besides, I was born and raised in Edmonton. Just couldn't handle the winters.

Not to burst your bubble, but...
Bubble burst!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
You can't say he's not on a streak now. Oilor fans love to point out Seguin's "hot streak" at the beginning of last year when arguing that he's not as good as his point total showed last season. After 10 games last year, that wasn't a streak. He was on pace for 82 points. Then he "cooled off". Looking back, you might make a case for calling it a hot streak, but at the time, no.

So you can't say this isn't a hot streak for Hall and you can't say it is one either. You have to wait til the end of the season to judge.

You can't really say "well he's not scoring goals right now either, so the only way his point total can go is up," either.
Why can't you do these things you're claiming?

Hall hasn't been hot or cold. But as far as chances and corsi go, he's one of the best players in the league. Which means that if he continues this kind of play, his stats are going to go up, and way up.

Taylor Hall has a putrid 5.1 SP%. And his EV SP% must be totally god awful.

To give you a proper idea, he was a 13% last year, and an 11.8% in his rookie year. If anything, he is underperforming by a pretty good deal.

Once he gets closer to 10-13% with SP%, THAT is when you can consider him to be on a hot streak. Now? He simply isn't. The goals:chances ratio is shockingly low, especially at 5v5.

Wait 'til he actually starts potting some. Hall's staggeringly better than Seguin, even though Seguin's a very good young player. I can't believe that Seguin's leading this, nor that it's even all that close. HFBoards blow my mind. Where opinion trumps truth 95/100 times.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
bsmith14

This season it has been Hall no doubt. Moving forward I think they will always be close in ability.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 03:57 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Wait 'til he actually starts potting some. Hall's staggeringly better than Seguin, even though Seguin's a very good young player. I can't believe that Seguin's leading this, nor that it's even all that close. HFBoards blow my mind. Where opinion trumps truth 95/100 times.
Yea, I don't understand. If Hall is already losing in polls despite being slightly ahead, what will it look like if they're dead even?

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I've been a Hall supporter so I'll stick with him.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
lawrence

Tyler Seguin. Hall is not nearly as good as the other 1st overall's I've seen. He's good, but not impact player good. Overall not that impressed with him. 3 years later, nothing much has changed in his style he plays.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Tyler Seguin. Hall is not nearly as good as the other 1st overall's I've seen. He's good, but not impact player good. Overall not that impressed with him. 3 years later, nothing much has changed in his style he plays.
...except that he drives the play better than literally all but 5 other NHLers, all well older than him.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:09 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandMadness 63 View Post
Tyler Seguin is the better overall player. Of course they won't admit it,but if Edmonton could do it all over again they would have taken Seguin first instead of Hall.
I don't think theres a snowballs chance in hell that your statement is true.

Hall is the teams heartbeat. He's been their best player all season.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

It's a very hard comparison to make because Hall has been playing big minutes for Edmonton since the beginning while Boston didn't need Seguin to come in right away.

Seguin will be the more valuable player in the end because he's a centre but Hall is pretty good.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It's a very hard comparison to make because Hall has been playing big minutes for Edmonton since the beginning while Boston didn't need Seguin to come in right away.

Seguin will be the more valuable player in the end because he's a centre but Hall is pretty good.
Seguin has played more games at RW in the NHL then he played at Center in junior. At some point people need to start referring to him as a winger. Hall is as much of a center as Seguin is.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Seguin has played more games at RW in the NHL then he played at Center in junior. At some point people need to start referring to him as a winger. Hall is as much of a center as Seguin is.
That's just it. Seguin like Hall has been a winger in the NHL. Seguin like Hall played center in junior, the only difference is Hall played primarly wing in his pre draft year. Hall got moved from center due to Windsor's depth down the middle and due to him being able to better transition to the wing than other centers in Windsor. Hall is in fact rather good in the dot as well, he's currently at 61% on 21 draws (i know small sample size but still) and was around 40% in his other two seasons, which is pretty good for a guy who was a teenager and not regularly taking draws.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:26 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hall is a possession magnet and shot generating machine. His finish is still questionable, but the fact is that one way or another he gets the puck into a scoring position nearly every time he's on the ice.

He doesn't have 13 assists because he's an elite passer, he has them because he just generates offense in general.

I also still believe Hall could be playing center in the NHL as well.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:09 AM
Aucoin11*

We can add another category in seguin's favor. He isn't a dirty player who can't accept losing.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
We can add another category in seguin's favor. He isn't a dirty player who can't accept losing.
Agree. Players who accept losing are the best.

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:25 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
Agree. Players who accept losing are the best.
Haha, zing.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:11 AM
conway902

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Hall is a possession magnet and shot generating machine. His finish is still questionable, but the fact is that one way or another he gets the puck into a scoring position nearly every time he's on the ice.

He doesn't have 13 assists because he's an elite passer, he has them because he just generates offense in general.

I also still believe Hall could be playing center in the NHL as well.
Don't worry you can call him a franchise center anyways, happens all the time with Seguin .........The funny part is that Hall has takin more faceoffs this year.

conway902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Yeah, I guess accepting defeat is a good thing.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote