HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tallon at Combine-Still Have Hopes of Signing Weiss

Old
05-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Tallon at Combine-Still Have Hopes of Signing Weiss

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 15m

Dale Tallon says he's still holding out hope the #panthers will be able to re-sign pending UFA Stephen Weiss.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 10m

@GPANTHER 20 minutes ago, to me, at the draft combine in Toronto.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 04:28 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
4 years, $20 million would be fine by me.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
2 years, $13 million is my limit. More concerned over number of years than yearly salary. Would be willing to grossly overpay on short term deal. Can't see a role for him after 2 years if we draft MacKinnon.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:58 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
2 years, $13 million is my limit. More concerned over number of years than yearly salary. Would be willing to grossly overpay on short term deal. Can't see a role for him after 2 years if we draft MacKinnon.
He more than likely wont accept that. Weiss is probably looking at his last big money, multiyear deal, so I dont see him signing anywhere for anything less than four years.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
He more than likely wont accept that. Weiss is probably looking at his last big money, multiyear deal, so I dont see him signing anywhere for anything less than four years.
My thinking is if he was willing to take the 2 years for $13mil we might let him stick around as a 3/4th liner for another 2 or 3 years for a 1-1.5mil a year so it wouldn't be that far off your 4y-20mil though I would only guarantee him those first 2 years.

Old
05-29-2013, 05:18 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Quote:
Too much money for an inconsistent, undersized, unphysical center.

He is reliable in his own end, but that's not enough to warrant that kind of payday.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:04 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

If he leaves, this will always be my favorite memory.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

He stays. He has to, this is his home.

Just being down here is half the reason to have pro athlete money in the first place.

Ask Lu.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:17 PM
CatscratchFever
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Sigh.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:58 AM
flapanthersfan

i can see him re-signing to a one-year deal. no team is going to invest a long term deal after the season he just had, especially considering he missed half of it with yet another wrist injury. too risky to invest long-term into a guy who may or may not have spaghetti for wrists.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:45 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
I've no problem with the 4 years, but frankly $16 million would be stretching it. He's been a key to the franchise's offensive production for years, but he's also never put up star player kinds of numbers, and we've got higher-end talent coming in to take the pressure off him to produce.

I still want Weiss back, but I'd hope he'd understand realistically what he's worth. $14 million for 4 years seems a bit more reasonable for our future 2nd line center.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:56 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
My thinking is if he was willing to take the 2 years for $13mil we might let him stick around as a 3/4th liner for another 2 or 3 years for a 1-1.5mil a year so it wouldn't be that far off your 4y-20mil though I would only guarantee him those first 2 years.
If he wants to retire a Panther I would even offer a 6y-20mil contract with a complete NTC and front load it if he wants. Would be a sign of loyalty of the team to player by term and by player to team by yearly salary. I do think he would get offers from other teams in the 4-20 range because of the open market. But I wouldn't do the 4-20. Too long at that yearly price. And if he does hit the open market I think it is a certainty he is gone like Vokoun so if he wants to stay here he better take Tallon's last offer before free agency begins.

Old
05-30-2013, 08:29 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 0
Now wait a minute, this sounds oddly familiar.. Oh right, the Garrison thing from last offseason.

Sorry Stephen, but you aren't worth the big money. Goodbye.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Killerinstinct

vCash: 50
It's hard to find better center into next years tem so i hope he continues.

Killerinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:04 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
If he wants to retire a Panther I would even offer a 6y-20mil contract with a complete NTC and front load it if he wants. Would be a sign of loyalty of the team to player by term and by player to team by yearly salary. I do think he would get offers from other teams in the 4-20 range because of the open market. But I wouldn't do the 4-20. Too long at that yearly price. And if he does hit the open market I think it is a certainty he is gone like Vokoun so if he wants to stay here he better take Tallon's last offer before free agency begins.
They changed the rules with front loading contracts so it would be hard to do what you're talking about with a 6 yr deal. As I said in another thread on here, I tried to figure out the numbers and the most that I could come up with a good deal was to do a 5 yr contract & $28M I believe.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7&postcount=65

Last edited by CoolburnIsGone: 05-30-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added link with contract I came up with
CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:30 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

if we dont get mackinnon and dont re-sign weiss we will end up with the same product offensively we had this past year that got us the worst record in the nhl.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:33 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Too much money for an inconsistent, undersized, unphysical center.

He is reliable in his own end, but that's not enough to warrant that kind of payday.
Bingo.

If we get Mac, he becomes our 3rd line center.

4 mil per and he gets to keep his tee time in parkland.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:49 AM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I like how a last place team is supposed to have such attitude. We'll allow him to stay in Florida for a discount, eh? I'm sure he's dying to flush the last few years of his career down the loo for less than he could get elsewhere.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:20 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbanana View Post
I like how a last place team is supposed to have such attitude. We'll allow him to stay in Florida for a discount, eh? I'm sure he's dying to flush the last few years of his career down the loo for less than he could get elsewhere.
So he would have signed for cheap last year for a discount as we were a first place team???

He doesn't have to stay. He can go get his perceived value somewhere else. And if he believes staying here is flushing his career down the loo even more reason to say goodbye to a replaceable 2nd line center with a difficult injury to recover from.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:24 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbanana View Post
If you think like a loser, a loser you will always be.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
They changed the rules with front loading contracts so it would be hard to do what you're talking about with a 6 yr deal. As I said in another thread on here, I tried to figure out the numbers and the most that I could come up with a good deal was to do a 5 yr contract & $28M I believe.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7&postcount=65
I meant front loaded if he wanted the money earlier not for Cap purposes. My 6-20mil contract would have a Cap Hit of 3.33mil which means, for Florida's purposes, they would be getting him cheap the first two years but overpaying him the last 4 when he would be the third and fourth line center. I think he would get more other places for 4 or 5 years but if he wanted to retire here without fear of getting traded, getting $3.33mil every year for 6 years ain't bad.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:42 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
I meant front loaded if he wanted the money earlier not for Cap purposes. My 6-20mil contract would have a Cap Hit of 3.33mil which means, for Florida's purposes, they would be getting him cheap the first two years but overpaying him the last 4 when he would be the third and fourth line center. I think he would get more other places for 4 or 5 years but if he wanted to retire here without fear of getting traded, getting $3.33mil every year for 6 years ain't bad.
Yeah I know what you meant. Did you see the breakdown of my deal in the link? The rules for front loading (or back loading too I believe) have become much more strict now that it makes it difficult to do what you're talking about doing. Based on your suggested deal, here's pretty much the only way it could be front loaded and what he would be paid per yr and you tell me if you think he would take this really:

Year 1: $5,000,000
Year 2: $3,750,000
Year 3: $3,500,000
Year 4: $2,750,000
Year 5: $2,500,000
Year 6: $2,500,000

I seriously doubt he would take that deal because he's not gonna get enough money front loaded for him to take that. He'd actually be better off taking a slightly shorter deal and still get bigger money that way.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yeah I know what you meant. Did you see the breakdown of my deal in the link? The rules for front loading (or back loading too I believe) have become much more strict now that it makes it difficult to do what you're talking about doing. Based on your suggested deal, here's pretty much the only way it could be front loaded and what he would be paid per yr and you tell me if you think he would take this really:

Year 1: $5,000,000
Year 2: $3,750,000
Year 3: $3,500,000
Year 4: $2,750,000
Year 5: $2,500,000
Year 6: $2,500,000

I seriously doubt he would take that deal because he's not gonna get enough money front loaded for him to take that. He'd actually be better off taking a slightly shorter deal and still get bigger money that way.
May as well pay him the same all 6 years. Yeah, I know he'll get more money elsewhere, likely a year or two less though, but $3.3mil a year for 6 years isn't exactly bad. Again, what price does he put on or if he wants to stay here is the question. If it's strictly a money deal, he's gone.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:01 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
May as well pay him the same all 6 years. Yeah, I know he'll get more money elsewhere, likely a year or two less though, but $3.3mil a year for 6 years isn't exactly bad. Again, what price does he put on or if he wants to stay here is the question. If it's strictly a money deal, he's gone.
Paying him the same for 6 yrs wouldnt be what Weiss wants I'm sure. He'd want to get paid good money now after being on a "discounted" deal for last few yrs in comparison to his production. And I doubt he would get less yrs on the free agent market too. On the contrary I think he would get MORE yrs from another team than from us...particularly because of our prospect depth and finding a role for everyone. IMO, he's still going to be a capable top 6 forward for another 3 yrs (and wants to get paid as such) and then after that, you can transition him to a 3rd/4th line center later on in a deal.

As much as he wants to retire a Panther, he has come out publicly and said it may not happen because of business reasons which says he wants to get paid fairly and that wont be a deal like you're talking about. So if thats what you expect, then yes he's gone.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:40 PM
AaronEkbald

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
if we dont get mackinnon and dont re-sign weiss we will end up with the same product offensively we had this past year that got us the worst record in the nhl.
With our luck..

2013 NHL draft: Colorado takes MacKinnon. We select Jones. We don't re-sign Weiss.

2013-2014 NHL season: Jones is good but not great. Unable to help make us significantly better. We finish close to dead last again. MacKinnon wins the 2013-2014 Calder (60 points / 25 goals).

2014 NHL draft: We get yet another high pick between 3 and 6 and select a forward (We rush him into the league; still desperate for offense as well as a line-mate for Huberdeau).

2014-2015 NHL season: We progress finally and finish 3rd in our division. We get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round again.

2015 NHL draft: We draft between 26 and 30 and select another forward (Added to the prospect pool).

2015-2016 NHL season: We regress; finish outside the playoff bracket. McDavid wins the 2015-2016 Calder (65 points / 17 goals)

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 05-30-2013 at 02:57 PM.
AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote