HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE: Corban Knight traded to Flames for 2013 4th Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 07:06 AM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
Depth chart of a team whose best center is Marcel Goc*.

Not buying it.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:41 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Depth chart of a team whose best center is Marcel Goc*.

Not buying it.
meh, probably thinking trocehck etc will play center and that he's behind them. i can accept it to some extent but he should accept trade

Old
06-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

This is frustrating to read. I don't like losing prospects this way at all, but it's nice to say that as an organization we have come a long, long way. We still have so much talent in the prospect pool that this won't hurt like it would have a few seasons ago. Despite us being in a pretty good position to accept this sort of unfortunate situation; I hope it doesn't become a normal thing for us.

I do worry about our appeal factor to prospects. It's an interesting thing going on in the league today. More and more it seems like prospects have a fair amount of power in whether or not they sign and can somewhat dictate what their future will be (team wise). It seems like we need to get successful in short manner to stay appealing to the prospects we draft. Heck, it wasn't long ago at all where I wasn't overly sure Bjugstad wanted to sign here.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Android 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
After speaking with the Panthers and looking at their depth chart Knight and his agent felt it was in his best interest to test the free-agent market.

So what he is saying is he is afraid of competition. That's not the greatest quality in a guy. If you're good enough why would you be afraid to fight for a job. Competition makes everyone better. Hope we can trade him for something before he is gone.
I agree with your point. But from Knight's perspective, he's got to be realistic as well.

Look at this depth chart:

(Nathan MacKinnon possibly)
Nick Bjugstad
Drew Shore
Quinton Howden
Vince Trocheck
Rocco Grimaldi
Kyle Rau
Yaroslav Kosov
John McFarland
Steven Hodges
Francis Beauvillier
Wade Megan
Logan Shaw

I would say Knight's potential puts him around McFarland's position on the chart. So, hypothetically speaking he's up against Bjugstad, Shore, Howden, Trocheck, Grimaldi and Rau. Not a smart move to fight for a job that might even be there. There's 30 teams in the league and not all of them have that kind of depth. He would certainly have a better chance to grab an NHL spot elsewhere.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:00 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
I agree with your point. But from Knight's perspective, he's got to be realistic as well.

Nick Bjugstad
Drew Shore
Quinton Howden
Vince Trocheck
Rocco Grimaldi
Kyle Rau
Yaroslav Kosov
John McFarland
Steven Hodges
Francis Beauvillier
Wade Megan
Logan Shaw

I would say Knight's potential puts him around McFarland's position on the chart. So, hypothetically speaking he's up against Bjugstad, Shore, Howden, Trocheck, Grimaldi and Rau. Not a smart move to fight for a job that might even be there. There's 30 teams in the league and not all of them have that kind of depth. He would certainly have a better chance to grab an NHL spot elsewhere.
he's a center, Rau, Grimaldi, Trocheck, Howden won't play center. Knight is a prospect who many of us probably forgot but he'd be a great 4th line center down the road, very solid 2 way play.

but yeah, i understand but i think he should let us trade his rights instead of just giving up on us, its bad mannered IMO lol

Old
06-17-2013, 11:02 AM
ShootIt

Quote:

Nick Bjugstad
Drew Shore
Quinton Howden
Vince Trocheck
Rocco Grimaldi
Kyle Rau
Yaroslav Kosov
John McFarland
Steven Hodges
Francis Beauvillier
Wade Megan
Logan Shaw

Most of those guys aren't centers though, or most likely be converted to wing in the Professional Leagues(AHL and up).
Kosov is a long shot at ever sniffing the NHL(KHL).
Howden is a winger, and Rocco and Trocheck are likely to become wingers in the AHL+. Besides, Rau and Grimaldi are at least a year away from even being signed.

He's in the same boat as those guys, in that, they are all unproven. He isn't going against established vets who are proven. He's going against guys who may not pan out at all.

To me, it either shows a lack of competition, or he never wanted to play in Florida.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Hockey8Alberta

If Florida kept up conversation with Corban throughout the year(s) and laid out a plan that he would have a legitimate shot to make their team, and offered a good contract the day his NCAA career ended (like they probably did with Bjugstad), do you think we'd be talking about this today?
IMO he's not that important in Dale Tallon's plans, and so FLA didn't give him any hope. Dale Tallon's picks are all going to get plenty of opportunity and time to succeed, whereas Corban (Sexton pick) would be fighting a huge uphill battle to even get his shot. There are so many prospects that they can't all get a shot at once. Maybe other teams have talked about trading for his rights and have given Corban more hope. There is so much discussion behind doors that it's sometimes tricky to figure out what's going on. It's the business side where everyone just has to do what they think is right for their success. Good luck to all!

Old
06-17-2013, 11:57 AM
iam76

can we get any value in trading him

Old
06-17-2013, 01:12 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Andrew Weiss @WeissFC

Big blow to Florida as they are unable to sign Corban Knight. Poor man’s Jonathan Toews. Will be a hot commodity in free agency.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Android 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
Andrew Weiss @WeissFC

Big blow to Florida as they are unable to sign Corban Knight. Poor man’s Jonathan Toews. Will be a hot commodity in free agency.
I always thought of Knight as a potential Weiss or Horcoff (except taller). A two-way center with some offensive ability and solid at the circle.

Toews? I don't see it. They're similar in size and position, but Toews' skillset is far superior.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:12 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
I always thought of Knight as a potential Weiss or Horcoff (except taller). A two-way center with some offensive ability and solid at the circle.

Toews? I don't see it. They're similar in size and position, but Toews' skillset is far superior.
poor man's toews... like 3rd world poor man's

Old
06-17-2013, 02:20 PM
iam76

when he was our prospect he was basically the second coming of marty reasoner...

now that hes not going to be ours he is toews...

we get 0 respect ...

Old
06-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Android 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
poor man's toews... like 3rd world poor man's
Knight and Kristo were an amazing duo. Behind them was the wizardry of red-shirt Rocco Grimaldi last season. But, clearly the go-to-guys for UND in recent years were K & K. Grimaldi's ice-time should skyrocket next season. Hope he can pile up the points and be the go-to-guy for UND. Gonna be an interesting season for them.

As far as Knight goes, well.. You'll find some team light on center prospects so you can cake your way into the bigs. Sayonara.

Last edited by Android 16: 06-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old
06-17-2013, 04:00 PM
AwesomePanthers
Atlantic winners

If Knight is gonna be a ****** like Schultz, and leave because a little competition (if thats the real reason). The let him go, I don't want such players on my team. Might be one of those that put up great numbers at college, but never can translate his game to the NHL (hopefully, if he leaves).

If Tallon know he can't sign him, then I think he will do everything in his power to trade his rights. Not sure if I trust all these rumors too.

I wonder how high we could get in the draft with trading 31st OA + Knight. If we could get a pick around 20, and get Max Domi, that would be amazing.

Sucks that Weiss injury costed us a 1st round pick++.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Kids got that kinda ego, and he's unwilling to compete for a job.. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:52 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:

Nick Bjugstad
Drew Shore
Quinton Howden
Vince Trocheck
Rocco Grimaldi
Kyle Rau
Yaroslav Kosov
John McFarland
Steven Hodges
Francis Beauvillier
Wade Megan
Logan Shaw

Knight is a significantly superior prospect to McFarland.

Majority of these players are will either likely be wingers at the NHL level, are several years away or are complimentary players who are behind Knight in development.

Rau/Grimaldi won't be NHL centers. Kosov won't be either. Howden is a W. Trocheck could go either way, but is behind Knight in terms of development. McFarland, Hodges etc aren't NHL level prospects of any note.

Knight will be 23 at the start of the year. This concern over depth ahead doesn't really seem entirely legitimate, since he is older and further ahead in his development than many players in the system and the NHL center depth we have isn't strong.

Knight didn't sign because he probably has a preference/idea of where he wants to go and he is in a position to force this through. It sucks and it does leave a kinda bad taste in the mouth as a fan, but at the end of the day, the option was available to him. It's his life and decision and that should be that.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:48 PM
JP Mick
Real Good.

vCash: 403
Well I'm not happy with this news, I was looking forward to seeing what he could do on the Rampage. We better get something for him in a trade.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:14 PM
luby3131

I don't understand all you guys coming in here ripping this kid. Saying he's "afraid of a little competition" is inaccurate. It's not like the kid is making these decisions on his own. You don't think his agent is in his ear telling him the grass is greener on the other side? Assuming money isn't a factor (I assume he's going to get the max rookie contract) this kid and his agent are faced with any easy decision; do I sign with the team that drafted me that has a deep crop of centers, many of which play a similar game to me or do I hit the open market and have teams bidding for my services, allowing myself to make it to league sooner and have a better chance of getting that one way contract after my ELC expires? Think about it, what would you tell the kid to do?

I obviously like Corban Knight's game, especially since I started this thread. It sucks he won't be a Panther, but I wish the kid the best of luck. Assuming we trade his rights, as long as we get a 4th round pick or higher, we gained value. And remember, he was a Randy Sexton pick, not a Dalle Tallon guy. Tallon should have no issue shipping this kid off and digging for his own future steal in the middle rounds.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Hockey8Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
I don't understand all you guys coming in here ripping this kid. Saying he's "afraid of a little competition" is inaccurate. It's not like the kid is making these decisions on his own. You don't think his agent is in his ear telling him the grass is greener on the other side? Assuming money isn't a factor (I assume he's going to get the max rookie contract) this kid and his agent are faced with any easy decision; do I sign with the team that drafted me that has a deep crop of centers, many of which play a similar game to me or do I hit the open market and have teams bidding for my services, allowing myself to make it to league sooner and have a better chance of getting that one way contract after my ELC expires? Think about it, what would you tell the kid to do?

I obviously like Corban Knight's game, especially since I started this thread. It sucks he won't be a Panther, but I wish the kid the best of luck. Assuming we trade his rights, as long as we get a 4th round pick or higher, we gained value. And remember, he was a Randy Sexton pick, not a Dalle Tallon guy. Tallon should have no issue shipping this kid off and digging for his own future steal in the middle rounds.
I agree.
If Tallon really wanted to keep him, then they would have been in constant contact with Corban to ensure he knew that he was a part of their plans. If management was concerned that he was going to leave after college, then he probably would have been traded a while ago while his value was a bit higher. Knight choosing a different team is evidence that the Panthers' management did not communicate with him very well, and now it is too late (assuming they wanted to sign him). And in the end, it's a business decision where the two sides decide to go separate ways.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:28 AM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey8Alberta View Post
I agree.
If Tallon really wanted to keep him, then they would have been in constant contact with Corban to ensure he knew that he was a part of their plans. If management was concerned that he was going to leave after college, then he probably would have been traded a while ago while his value was a bit higher. Knight choosing a different team is evidence that the Panthers' management did not communicate with him very well, and now it is too late (assuming they wanted to sign him). And in the end, it's a business decision where the two sides decide to go separate ways.
It is always tough to figure out how that communication went, however. Calgary had this problem with Erixon (though with a bit more leverage since Erixon would have re-entered the draft rather than become a FA). Erixon would tell the Flames how excited he was. He attended the prospect camps, Flames personnel would see him in Sweden - never once did he say he didn't intend on signing in Calgary. Days before he was set to become UFA, that is when the Flames found out.

As for Knight, did he come out and say where he prefers? If he at least did that, then you guys could negotiate with his team of preference (like Calgary did with NYR in Erixon's case). There is value from Calgary's perspective, as it gets him into the prospect camp, so Calgary would probably be willing to send something for him, though will probably be something minor.

I don't think any club is going to give up more than a conditional pick (upon Knight signing, of course) unless they are more sure that Knight would sign with that team. Probably a good idea for Tallon to find out what that team is, and start negotiating (if it hasn't done so already).

Old
06-18-2013, 02:18 AM
flapanthersfan

Really, really disappointing we couldn't get Knight signed.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Android 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Really, really disappointing we couldn't get Knight signed.
Me too. I've watched all the Sioux games that were available to me for the past few years. I've seen a lot of Knight and he's definitely got the potential to play in the NHL. But, if he doesn't want to be here, then whatever. Good luck to him. Speaking of the Sioux, '13 - '14 going to be an interesting year. Can't wait to see Grimaldi be the go-to-guy for them.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

It sucks that we couldn't sign him. Who knows what happened during negotiation ?

Its his choice, I don't harbor any ill will towards him. Same with Lebron James, when he leaves the Heat.

Good luck to Corban Knight.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:05 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Knight just got dealt to Calgary for their 4th.

Closed Thread