HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Should coaches be allowed to challenge calls

View Poll Results: Should coaches be allowed to challenges referees' calls?
Yes 81 84.38%
No 15 15.63%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Squeeven

vCash: 500
Should coaches be allowed to challenge calls

Question is simple, should coaches be allowed to challenge the referees call? Like if a referee makes a bad call on a penalty for instance I think coaches should be allowed to challenge it. And maybe do something like if the coach loses the challenge they lose their timeout, or not doesn't matter (I THINK the NFL does something like that but I could be wrong, someone correct me). Like tonight in the Sharks-Ducks game, Pavelski got called on a delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass yet Beauchemin deflected it and the Sharks were down on a critical 5 on 3, I think Todd Mclellan should have been allowed to challenge that. Maybe other big game changing calls the coaches should be allowed to challenge but I think one challenge per game would be good. If you agree, elaborate on how you think it should work and if it should be just penalties or other calls. If you don't like the idea please explain why.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
CanucksSayEh

There really isn't anything to carry over regarding coaching calls from the NFL. All goals/TD's are reviewed. NFL coaches can't challenge penalties, just ball placement and calls on incomplete/complete passes ect.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:58 PM
TieClark

Yes, 1 a game

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
There really isn't anything to carry over regarding coaching calls from the NFL. All goals/TD's are reviewed. NFL coaches can't challenge penalties, just ball placement and calls on incomplete/complete passes ect.
They can contest first downs, fumbles and incomplete passes in the NFL. I don't think coaches should be allowed to challenge penalties, but certain goals/no-goals that we have seen certainly help the argument that coaches should be able to force a review in certain scenarios. There should still be cons to challenges (if challenge is upheld, the team of the coach that challenged should get a delay of game penalty).

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Yes, 1 a game
That's what I think as well.

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:49 PM

definitely, just like in the nfl and if your wrong you get some kind of punishment like no timeout(like the nfl) though theres only one, or a 2 minute penalty or something

05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Flat Stanley

Absolutely.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I believe they should get one challenge a game.

Automatic reviews stay the same, so a goal in question does not count. Those should be reviewed anyways. Also, calls like offsides and icings should not be challengable IMO.

Keep it limited to things like diving, high sticking (if for example a player high sticks the puck and it is waved off and then they go down and score), goaltender interference, etc.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I believe they should get one challenge a game.

Automatic reviews stay the same, so a goal in question does not count. Those should be reviewed anyways. Also, calls like offsides and icings should not be challengable IMO.

Keep it limited to things like diving, high sticking (if for example a player high sticks the puck and it is waved off and then they go down and score), goaltender interference, etc.
Yeah I agree. Keep it to the things you said, not icings or offsides. Well MAYBE icings because faceoffs in a teams end can often be critical but I'm not sure about the icings being challenged. No offsides though because it would delay the game too much.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Squeeven

Couldn't be any clearer that it was shoulder to shoulder. I'd be VERY surprised and pissed if Shanahan disciplines him for that. It's calls like this that is one of the reasons I made this thread.

Drew Remenda (Sharks colour commentator) was saying against the Ducks on Pavs' delay of game penalty that he thinks there should be challenges and he said it again tonight! Couldn't agree more! The league really better consider that, I honestly cant' see why they wouldn't.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Squeeven

If you say no to this poll, please do explain as I would really like to hear your argument against this.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:40 AM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

If you vote no, please post your full name and address on this thread and we will send you a fruitbasket. Thanks in advance.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Hynh

It's a joke that I can call the game better from my house than the NHL can.

1 timeout per period
Can use a timeout to challenge a call
Must issue challenge before the next faceoff
Can challenge highsticks/handpasses/offsides/icings/instances of the puck going out of play that occur during the same play as a goal
Can challenge major/match penalties, have to be completely overruled (not able to be reduced to a 2 minute penalty)
Can challenge the lack of a major/match penalty. Must be major/match penalty worthy.
Blatantly wrong challenges cost the timeout AND a bench minor for delay of game
Can decline penalty shots in favour of a powerplay

Everyone wins. Fans aren't turned off by terrible refereeing, the better team actually earns their win, TV networks can sell extra advertising.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
(Video removed in quote)

Couldn't be any clearer that it was shoulder to shoulder. I'd be VERY surprised and pissed if Shanahan disciplines him for that. It's calls like this that is one of the reasons I made this thread.

Drew Remenda (Sharks colour commentator) was saying against the Ducks on Pavs' delay of game penalty that he thinks there should be challenges and he said it again tonight! Couldn't agree more! The league really better consider that, I honestly cant' see why they wouldn't.
Shoulder-to-shoulder, but definitely interference. What I would like to see challengeable is any play in which a player is disqualified for the remainder of the game. As for all pucks crossing the goal line into the net, there should be an automatic review of all such plays by the war room in Toronto.

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
If you vote no, please post your full name and address on this thread and we will send you a fruitbasket. Thanks in advance.
lol I'm just saying that after tonights call against Desjardins and last nights call against Pavs I really thought Mclellan should have been allowed to challenge and I'm curious as to why someone would be against this that's all.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:21 AM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
lol I'm just saying that after tonights call against Desjardins and last nights call against Pavs I really thought Mclellan should have been allowed to challenge and I'm curious as to why someone would be against this that's all.
I agree completely. I think anyone that's against challenges in hockey should be given "a present"

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:55 AM
ProstheticConscience
hates cows

Definitely.

There needs to be something that can overrule a horribly blown call.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Phu

As a Sharks fan, my answer is no. In no other sport can you challenge a penalty, and the refs need to have that authority to make the call. What I think should happen is that on calls where the refs are not in agreement, and especially when there is a major, a call should be rescindable and perhaps even the video ref should be able to overturn an obviously bad call if evidence is really conclusive.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:08 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Yep. Maybe even let the coaches have more than 1 challenge. Just if they get it wrong, the team gets a delay-of-game penalty.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:23 AM
Ceremony
Heist Life

vCash: 7040
Yes.

Do it like tiebreaks in tennis with Hawkeye: You get one challenge, if you use it and you're correct, you still have one. If you get it wrong, you don't.

02-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Kresnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Yes.

Do it like tiebreaks in tennis with Hawkeye: You get one challenge, if you use it and you're correct, you still have one. If you get it wrong, you don't.
No!

The referee will always be in a better position to see the play, the referee is also always neutral so their is no reason to question there judgment.

Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:34 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Yes, without a doubt.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

At the very least, have goaltender interference be reviewable, especially when it comes to waving off goals.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 50
So...after your first challenge you have no timeout so there is no penalty right?

AWESOME!

Here is what I, Dan, would do as a coach:

Bad penalty
CHALLENGE!!
Review ensues, upheld and timeout lost.

Questionable goal call
CHALLENGE!
Review, goal stands. NO MORE TIMEOUT so penalty!

Questionable hit
CHALLENGE!
Faceoff infraction
CHALLENGE!
Clock issue
CHALLENGE!

You just go infinite don't you? I would challenge everything. I would exploit this so badly the screams on HFBoards and from the media would waken the dead.
As proposed by the OP, without limits this is the most awesome thing ever.

Even with ONE challenge it could get really dumb in a hurry. There is NO reason you wouldn't use your challenge just to delay the game and screw over the other team's momentum. Love it!

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:32 AM
AbsolonMoreau*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
So...after your first challenge you have no timeout so there is no penalty right?

AWESOME!

Here is what I, Dan, would do as a coach:

Bad penalty
CHALLENGE!!
Review ensues, upheld and timeout lost.

Questionable goal call
CHALLENGE!
Review, goal stands. NO MORE TIMEOUT so penalty!

Questionable hit
CHALLENGE!
Faceoff infraction
CHALLENGE!
Clock issue
CHALLENGE!

You just go infinite don't you? I would challenge everything. I would exploit this so badly the screams on HFBoards and from the media would waken the dead.
As proposed by the OP, without limits this is the most awesome thing ever.

Even with ONE challenge it could get really dumb in a hurry. There is NO reason you wouldn't use your challenge just to delay the game and screw over the other team's momentum. Love it!
Worst argument out of them all, there would be limits in place, if you challenge without a TO like in the NFL you would get penalized.

I think the NHL should just automatically review all 5 minute majors like the NBA does with flagrant fouls and then downgrade them if necessary.

AbsolonMoreau* is offline   Reply With Quote