HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Williams question

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Barney Stinson76

vCash: 500
Justin Williams question

What´s his potential at the NHL level? Goals,Ass.!
Why does he never played over 80 games per year?
Is he often injured?

Thanks for your infos!

LP66

Old
03-02-2005, 06:52 AM
MojoJojo

Williams is a heart and soul player, who will probably wind up a 20-30 goal, 50-60 pt scorer on an offensive team. He is excellent defensively, though there were rumours Hitch didnt like him; these were unfounded since he was one of our top penalty killers. Overall a very nice package of skills, and a great work ethic. I wouldnt call him a gritty or a tough player, but he does not shy away from physical contact. Probably his size holds him back more than anything else. Williams was a favorite of the fans and players, it seems everyone was pissed to see him go, even if Danny Markov came back the other way.

Old
03-02-2005, 07:04 AM
Steve L*

I have to agree with the above and add that he was my favourite Flyer.

Gives 100% all the time and does everything right although didnt get as many goals as he should of as a Flyer.

Old
03-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
though there were rumours Hitch didnt like him
I can't beleive for a second that those rumors were true. What's not to like about Justin Williams' game?

He has some trouble finishing, but that's it.

Like Steve said, 100% every shift, the way everybody should play.

Old
03-02-2005, 01:02 PM
vis

Williams was a solid, if unspectacular player. For whatever reason, he often ended up in Hitch's doghouse. If I recall, Hitch often referred to Williams not playing in accord with how the situation of the game dictated. For example, if the Flyers were nursing a one-goal lead late in the game - and were expected to dump the puck into the offensive zone - Williams would sometimes carry the puck in, deke and doodle, and potentially lose the puck with an odd man rush going the other way. I think Williams' inattentiveness to these "little things" frustrated Hitchcock.

At the time of the trade, I think Williams had begun working on those "little things" and had gotten better - but his scoring suffered. I think the kid was just confused under Hitch.

Bottom line: good player, solid 20-25G/60 pts player. If given enough ice time and offensive responsibility, he'll be solid.

Old
03-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vis
Williams was a solid, if unspectacular player. For whatever reason, he often ended up in Hitch's doghouse. If I recall, Hitch often referred to Williams not playing in accord with how the situation of the game dictated. For example, if the Flyers were nursing a one-goal lead late in the game - and were expected to dump the puck into the offensive zone - Williams would sometimes carry the puck in, deke and doodle, and potentially lose the puck with an odd man rush going the other way. I think Williams' inattentiveness to these "little things" frustrated Hitchcock.
In other words, the creativity hadnt yet been coached out of him, this sums up the last 10 years of the NHL really.

Old
03-02-2005, 04:37 PM
vis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
In other words, the creativity hadnt yet been coached out of him, this sums up the last 10 years of the NHL really.
i hadn't thought of it that way, but I suppose you're right to a degree. While I certainly think there is a time and place for creativity, I don't think that time is 3 minutes to go in the third with a 2-1 lead on the road. I don't see it as coaching creativity out of a guy (I'm sure Williams was more free to use his creativity as the game situation dictates), but rather teaching a guy discipline.

I certainly have a problem with teams who play "dump and chase" for 60 minutes. But I can also understand a coach getting perturbed by a player who, in his eyes, isn't playing to the game situation.

Old
03-02-2005, 05:12 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

From what i remember, he started on the first line at the beginnign of the season several times, and was on fire, but by mid season, he was on the third line in a scoring slump

Old
03-02-2005, 06:57 PM
PF

He had some real moments of quality with us such as his spin behind the net assist on a goal and once I remember he stole the puck, I think, at the flyers blueline as the faceoff went back to brisebois and broke away against the canadiens, as he reached the goal he was tripped from behind and (It had been called as a penalty but was waved since...) he scored as he fell to the ice with a great shot...Williams was one of my favourites and I hope he returns to our team someday.

Old
03-04-2005, 04:18 PM
budscweizer16

Send a message via AIM to budscweizer16
yup one thing is for sure, he played eery game like it was his last, thats one thing i love in a player

Old
03-04-2005, 06:07 PM
stanley

I don't know if there's much to the idea that Hitchcock didn't like Williams. From where I'm sitting, I think he liked him quite a bit, and I don't mean in a relative sense. He was on the ice in crucial situations and a very responsible player (note I didn't add "for his age").

I suspect any "friction" coming out of Hitchcock was either gas or his way of pushing him a little. I think it's a stretch to insinuate that Hitchcock didn't like him personally or professionally. I think the trade had more to do with getting a top-four defenseman entering his prime.

Old
03-05-2005, 11:31 AM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Anybody remember his breakaway gamewinner vs. Montreal in 02-03 where he had his legs completely pulled out and as he was falling he flipped the puck over Theodore's shoulder?

Old
03-06-2005, 08:13 PM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Anybody remember his breakaway gamewinner vs. Montreal in 02-03 where he had his legs completely pulled out and as he was falling he flipped the puck over Theodore's shoulder?
I mentioned that one in my post, I forgot it was an OT gamewinner though.

Anyone have that videoclip available to send me...I've lost it.
(Gamedate was 10/24/02 if that helps to locate it.)

Old
03-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
I remember that one. Awesome goal.

as for Hitch not liking Justin:
it's not that Hitch didn't like Justin as a person,but he didn't agree with him as a player. He didn't like how Justin liked to do his own thing,and not follow Hitch's game plan(Hitch claims that Justin never followed his game plan). And he claimed that Justin was too 'fancy' like instead of just going in and shooting the puck,he danced around and tried to go for the upper corner instead of the easy five-hole shot. It's also rumored that Hitch had something to do with Justin's trade......

Closed Thread