HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Gillis making more rounds through the east @ NJD vs NYR tonight.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Gillis seems to think it isn't. And I tend to agree with him. If he retires, you're looking at a 2 million dollar cap penalty. That's not insane or anything, especially with the cap going up every year. As long as he isn't retired, you're getting pretty damn good goaltending for a middle-of-the-pack cap hit. It may cause some teams pause, but I agree with Gillis when he says it's not a hinderance. I would say Luongo's post-season performance and his ability to draw attention are bigger deterring factors for teams looking to make a Luongo trade. There are more than 10 players in the NHL right now with longer contracts than Luongo.

Ask yourself this, would the league have made a "Luongo Rule" if his contract was so awful? Shouldn't it have been punishment enough if it's so bad? They created this rule to punish the Canucks for circumventing the cap. As of now it's been a great contract for the Canucks. Who knows what the future holds, hell there's likely a new CBA by the time the contract ends. So saying this contract is terrible is very, very short-sighted. We have no way of knowing what will happen. But as a Canucks fan, all I can say now for sure is so far so good.
I just assumed he was talking about Ovechkin.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:04 PM
ronnyweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Devils aren't trading for a goalie. Marty and Moose both have NTC's.
Not to mention they have had great success this season and last playoffs rolling with what they have.

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Scottyk9
Henrique to Hall..

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Not to mention they have had great success this season and last playoffs rolling with what they have.
That too

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

vCash: 50
I heard that he'll be scouting the Canucks - Wild game tomorrow night.
Vancouver seems like a good fit for Luongo, they have an unproven starter.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post

What is Vancouver willing to give up, though ? Jensen and a pick ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
kootenayfan

Quote:

Luongo to Vancouver E5!

kootenayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:11 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
They also had experience with Tanev through Gagner already.

On him doing business with or meeting with eastern execs etc he'd be remiss if he didn't pay them a visit while in the neighborhood.

As for him not needing to scout eastern teams "yet" that's BS. Its a short season and western teams will not see these eastern teams until the playoffs. That's a very short time away. Not to mention any trade options that may come up before them.

Nothing to see here.
Yeah that makes sense to me. The Washington media could have saved a lot of discussion the other day if they looked into the Vancouver side of things rather than parroting angry denials from Washington that left a valid reason for Gillis & Gilman to be in the building.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
DeveinedPgBc

1 - Start Luongo thread
2 - other teams fans offer crap for star goalie
3 - canucks fans say "not enough"
4 - all fans of all other teams come out of the woodwork to **** on the canucks. another succesful day at hfboards!

seriously. the whole " the canucks are divers" comes from one thing IMO. THAT IS HOW WE WERE BEAT BY CHICAGO THE YEAR BEFORE!So we do it and we are the devil. they do it and they have integrity and class. stop hating the players for diving....hate the diving game! the canucks are not the only team that has diven. we are the only ones who get outright attcked for it!!

carry on

DeveinedPgBc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Pip
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
What is Vancouver willing to give up, though ? Jensen and a pick ?
with his contract? Ballard, Rodin and a 4th

(cap dump, prospect, pick)

Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Benjo

Quote:

Sports Illustrated did say that the Canucks might trade Lu to Vancouver. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
dave babych returns

The only possible explanation for all of this is that the Canucks are negotiating blockbuster trades with each of the teams Gillis and Gilman have watched.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Pip
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Sports Illustrated did say that the Canucks might trade Lu to Vancouver. Where there's smoke there's fire.
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis says that there is no basis to this deal and that he is confident in his young starter. Canucks GM Mike Gillis said that there were negotiations going on when questioned about trade talks.

Now which GM is credible here, I believe Mike is lying, but Gillis is being truthful

Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:32 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Luongos value just went up.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Nuck5Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
....or just play in the weakest division in hocekey. Also, no one cares about a President's trophy. You can join the club with Buffalo, Ottawa, San Jose, and St. Louis as "winners".
Fans and the media seem to care a lot, especially when making playoff predictions! Lottery-pick teams get their attention at the draft!

Nuck5Strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
tony d
Is it though?

I can see him possibly trading Scheidner to New Jersey. It would give New Jersey a goalie of the future. No idea who they'd ask for in return though.

02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
New Jersey is not trading for a goaltender, at least not one who will demand an NHL roster spot. Whether you believe it is a good thing or a bad thing, the Devils have Brodeur and Hedberg for this year and next year, which means there just is no room for one.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:31 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
New Jersey is not trading for a goaltender, at least not one who will demand an NHL roster spot. Whether you believe it is a good thing or a bad thing, the Devils have Brodeur and Hedberg for this year and next year, which means there just is no room for one.
Not trying to be sarcastic, but serious, do you really think Brodeur for this year and another full season next year?

MillarWithASave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
vanwest

Quote:
He could be scouting anything. We could use a 3rd line centre or a scoring winger too.

Not sure what this has to do with the Oilers though...
I'm trying to figure out the Oiler connection here too. Maybe he's scouting the Eastern teams to throw the press off of his plan to trade Luongo and Raymond to the Oilers for RHN and Eberle.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:21 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Gillis seems to think it isn't. And I tend to agree with him. If he retires, you're looking at a 2 million dollar cap penalty. That's not insane or anything, especially with the cap going up every year. As long as he isn't retired, you're getting pretty damn good goaltending for a middle-of-the-pack cap hit. It may cause some teams pause, but I agree with Gillis when he says it's not a hinderance. I would say Luongo's post-season performance and his ability to draw attention are bigger deterring factors for teams looking to make a Luongo trade. There are more than 10 players in the NHL right now with longer contracts than Luongo.

Ask yourself this, would the league have made a "Luongo Rule" if his contract was so awful? Shouldn't it have been punishment enough if it's so bad? They created this rule to punish the Canucks for circumventing the cap. As of now it's been a great contract for the Canucks. Who knows what the future holds, hell there's likely a new CBA by the time the contract ends. So saying this contract is terrible is very, very short-sighted. We have no way of knowing what will happen. But as a Canucks fan, all I can say now for sure is so far so good.
Well Gillis is asking too much or teams are afraid of his contract. Luongo's contract is good this year, next and maybe the year after....it starts to get real ugly when he's 38, 39, 40 and he is likely to be on the decline.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Well Gillis is asking too much or teams are afraid of his contract. Luongo's contract is good this year, next and maybe the year after....it starts to get real ugly when he's 38, 39, 40 and he is likely to be on the decline.
Yes, he's asking too much. He's most likely going to get a prospect, but need to take back a player who gets paid more than he should, like Kessel. This would get Gillis his prospect, but saddle his club with a player they most likely don't want.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Yes, he's asking too much. He's most likely going to get a prospect, but need to take back a player who gets paid more than he should, like Kessel. This would get Gillis his prospect, but saddle his club with a player they most likely don't want.
Are you saying the Canucks would reluctantly take Kessel if they had to as a cap dump?

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Bleach Clean

As to Gillis scouting other teams, he was there to meet with College FAs. That's it. The rest is just media hype. Although one does wonder, why keep attending games after the hysteria created at the WSH game?

I read somewhere he didn't even meet McPhee...

Last edited by piqued: 02-06-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: qdp
Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Are you saying the Canucks would reluctantly take Kessel if they had to as a cap dump?
They would take him and run.

My fellow Canucks fans are just being ignorant.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote