HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else slightly annoyed about other games getting blacked out?

Old
02-05-2013, 06:42 PM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
Anyone else slightly annoyed about other games getting blacked out?

For years, I got used to Flames/Oilers games being on as background noise or just catching NHL hockey late at night. I know of the streaming sites but deep down, I still wish we could watch them easily still on the tv. In the end, its just more hockey that I want

I'm not sure truly how many people would replace Flames/Oilers games for Jets games, but I have a hunch it would be more of a complement of more hockey.

Also, why don't Leaf games on TSN get blacked out?

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
For years, I got used to Flames/Oilers games being on as background noise or just catching NHL hockey late at night. I know of the streaming sites but deep down, I still wish we could watch them easily still on the tv. In the end, its just more hockey that I want

I'm not sure truly how many people would replace Flames/Oilers games for Jets games, but I have a hunch it would be more of a complement of more hockey.

I wish we still got Flames and Oilers games for free, but I do understand this is the entertainment business. If you want to watch TV shows, you pay for cable. You want to watch movies, you go to the theatre or pay for services that provide them.

So yeah, it sucks, but I am fine with it.

02-05-2013, 06:47 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I wish we still got Flames and Oilers games for free, but I do understand this is the entertainment business. If you want to watch TV shows, you pay for cable. You want to watch movies, you go to the theatre or pay for services that provide them.

Oh I understand it's the business. I just wish there was a way to say I'm a Jets' tv subscriber already giving money to the team, let me watch all of the hockey now.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:47 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

No skin off my back
Never watched the oilers or flames

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Ziggy66

Quote:

slightly annoyed I like being able to watch a later game but oh well what can you do

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Was it ever free? I don't get Sportsnet in my basic package and wouldn't have bought it, even if the Jets were not here...

NHL Centre Ice is only 50 dollars this year (basically 15$ a month) versus 5 dollars a month to add Sportsnet. Just get Centre Ice, then you can watch half decent teams play

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:01 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Speaking about NHL GameCenter.... I have the problem since today that I can not login into my account to watch the games live or from the archive. Does anybody else have log-in issues?

GermanJetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Was it ever free? I don't get Sportsnet in my basic package and wouldn't have bought it, even if the Jets were not here...

NHL Centre Ice is only 50 dollars this year (basically 15$ a month) versus 5 dollars a month to add Sportsnet. Just get Centre Ice, then you can watch half decent teams play
I guess it was never 'free', but if you want any sports at all, you usually get the first sports tier which includes SNET. I watch a lot of baseball and other stuff as well so fantastic value.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Yeah it kind of annoys me too. I'd get CI but I would need to drop $300 on a new Shaw PVR since I have an older one that doesn't support their newer channels.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I guess it was never 'free', but if you want any sports at all, you usually get the first sports tier which includes SNET. I watch a lot of baseball and other stuff as well so fantastic value.
I don't watch baseball much at all, maybe the odd Jays game here and there, but almost never.

TSN covers pretty much all my sporting needs (CFL), and I can supplement it with Internet Streams (NFL, KHL, AHL, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelling Salt View Post
Yeah it kind of annoys me too. I'd get CI but I would need to drop $300 on a new Shaw PVR since I have an older one that doesn't support their newer channels.
Alternatively you could get NHL Gamecentre and use that on Computer or through Playstation/Xbox. I believe that it is only 50$ for this season as well.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:14 PM
cutchemist42

Oh I know I can do CI, it's just I got used to it simply being there for 8 years on SNet. I just don't understand the huge need to block out a team that plays in a separate timezone and isn't really a direct competitor for ticket sales.

I just doubt that the Jets are gaining that much of a monopoly power by blocking out hockey games playing at 11pm at night.

This would not be a personal pet peeve if I had not gotten used to it either. The Flames/Oilers were not even my teams, but I just liked them being there.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:27 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:

Games are only blacked out when the network only has regional coverage for it. If a leafs game in tsn is a nationally broadcast right game it wouldn't be blacked out.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:27 PM
tbcwpg

Yeah, I do miss the later start Calgary/Edmonton games, would be nice to turn on after the Jets game is done. Then again, I do have NHL CI this year so it's not a huge issue for me.

As for the Leafs on TSN, those are nationally broadcast games. Just like the Jets-Penguins game was. Everyone in the country got that one.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
The big 4 have some goofy rules on TV and markets. Personally if I ran the league or network I'd have no problem with a Flames/Oilers game on tv in Winnipeg on a night when the Jets aren't playing, like last night when the Canucks/Oilers game was blacked out. I understand giving your franchise some protection in their market, but a Monday night Oiler game isn't a threat to the Jets when they are off Monday night and the more available eyeballs the better.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:32 PM
epo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
The big 4 have some goofy rules on TV and markets. Personally if I ran the league or network I'd have no problem with a Flames/Oilers game on tv in Winnipeg on a night when the Jets aren't playing, like last night when the Canucks/Oilers game was blacked out. I understand giving your franchise some protection in their market, but a Monday night Oiler game isn't a threat to the Jets when they are off Monday night and the more available eyeballs the better.
It isn't about protecting the Jets. Sportsnet didn't purchase the rights to show the game here. These rights still belong to the NHL, so you have to pay them to watch.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
What's the big 4? This is all about contracts already signed.

It isn't about threatening the Jets. It's about local cable deals. Sportsnet West has only purchased the ability to locally broadcast Oiler and Flames games. We used to be in their territory, we no longer are. Now we are in Jets territory. Meaning they cannot broadcast games as local here in Winnipeg. TSN and CBC have exclusive rights for National broadcasts, which means that Sportsnet cannot broadcast outside their territory. So no Flames or Oilers games in Jets territory. Same thing as we not being able to get local games for Maple Leafs or Ottawa on Sportsnet Ontario, despite many people having that channel. We are outside their territory. These deals are signed and paid for. There's a reason TSN and CBC pay extra money to eliminate potential competitors in the National coverage of games.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:38 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

We aren't in Flames and Oilers territory anymore. We can still watch them on CI if we choose.

Would suck if you're a Jets fan out of province and it's on TSN Habs and TSN Jets. My friend in BC wanted to watch the Habs Jets game and couldn't watch it because it wasn't available on CI. TSN blacks out their regional games on CI. The game against Tampa she got the Tampa feed.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 02-06-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: don't flame
LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:01 AM
WpgBoy84

Is Centre Ice going to get cheaper the longer you wait to purchase it?
I don't have much time to watch hockey now, but in a month or so I will have ample amounts of time.

WpgBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

The issue is which games should be national and which local. IMO the Jets are more affected by national TSN games then by regional SN games.

Try channel 158. They had Sharks v Blackhawks last night.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:14 AM
bluefan

vCash: 159
Game Center Live + Proxy is the way to go.

bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:18 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Last year I was pissed; this year not so much so far.

I found a large number of things to do during the lockout and find that I now have to make adjustments to be able to see the Jets games. So extra games, are not essential aside from HNIC and TSN National broadcasts (although I loved the free preview of Centre Ice).

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:42 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
Game Center Live + Proxy is the way to go.
Doesn't that lag like hell with a HD stream? :/

GermanJetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
My internet is awful, and I'm doing that without any lag.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:46 AM
bluefan

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
If you have a bad proxy, I suppose. I've been using

http://www.unblock-us.com/

for a good while now and have never had any speed/connection issues. Netflix USA, Hulu, Game Center etc...all work flawlessly.

bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:20 AM
SCP Guy

I hate the Flames and Oliers and every other NHL team now that our Jets are back.....so if I only get to see them when we are beating them all is good in my books

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote