HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 06:36 PM
  #326
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,784
vCash: 500
Hmmm, after a brief scan of who's available, I think I found a guy who can complete my top line (I hope, or else I'm not in a good position, lol).

Someone who brings goal scoring, playmaking, solid two-way play, very high compete level, a winning track record of three Stanley Cups with 3 different teams, and...a medical degree?

Yes, you've guessed it, my pick is Mark Recchi, RW/Ph.D.

Dwight is online now  
Old
02-08-2013, 06:56 PM
  #327
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,510
vCash: 500
Doctor Recchi!!!

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 06:58 PM
  #328
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneberg View Post
after too much deliberation halifax selects frank foyston, f.

Can someone please pm next i'm already late for something.
ah bollocks!

BubbaBoot is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:04 PM
  #329
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
This is a good point (and not because you are my co-GM).

Also, if we are to punish Krutov because of steroids (which I would like to see definitive evidence of - not speculation), then we should equally punish any injury-prone superstar - such as Bobby Orr or Mike Bossy (who seem to get a free-ride). If we can ignore their shortened career and only focus upon their peak, why do we punish Krutov for his one sub-par year in the NHL?
Doesn't that completely miss the point? The point, as I see it, is that there is a reasonable chance that the non-juiced and terrible Krutov that we saw in Vancouver was the true representation of his ability and not what happened in the eight previous seasons.

seventieslord is online now  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:22 PM
  #330
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,989
vCash: 500
Trade

Trade proposed, agreed upon. To be confirmed. Needs permission.

To: Ottawa
#213 / #236

To: Boston
#217 / #232

BubbaBoot is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:35 PM
  #331
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Oh and since I'm probably papershoes and SchultzSquared's least favorite GM right now, here's something you guys will like if you haven't seen it before:



http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...page=bio&list=

(as a bonus, I can toot my own player's horn in the process)
That obviously never happened, because as we all know, Messier was the 2nd most important player on the Oilers in the 80s.

Not that pylon Paul Coffey.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:37 PM
  #332
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Doesn't that completely miss the point? The point, as I see it, is that there is a reasonable chance that the non-juiced and terrible Krutov that we saw in Vancouver was the true representation of his ability and not what happened in the eight previous seasons.
For varying definitions of reasonable, I suppose.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:40 PM
  #333
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,510
vCash: 500
Were those GM's drinking brandy and rum and cokes when they voted Coffey and Hawerchuk over Mario Lemieux?

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
  #334
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
We're those GM's drinking brandy and rum and cokes when they voted Coffey and Hawerchuk over Mario Lemieux?
Mid-80s is before Lemieux was doing anything.

And Mid-80s is when Paul Coffey was regularly compared to Bobby Orr.

It is backwards projection that downgrades Paul Coffey's peak so badly around here.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:42 PM
  #335
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,015
vCash: 500
I said I remember "Larionov was impressive in Vancouver", though through beers and cheers my memory is mostly of his puck carrying ability and us praising him post-game over hot wings a lot. Just as I rmember how angry we were with Krutov in contrast.

Here is the Vancouver Canucks board thread I started with some good stuff on the issue: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1345089

VanIslander is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:45 PM
  #336
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Mid-80s is before Lemieux was doing anything.

And Mid-80s is when Paul Coffey was regularly compared to Bobby Orr.

It is backwards projection that downgrades Paul Coffey's peak so badly around here.
Mario's first season basically proved what he was, hell his first shift in 1984 showed the world what he was.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:46 PM
  #337
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,777
vCash: 500
I assume the poll was before Lemieux made an impact

TheDevilMadeMe is online now  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:49 PM
  #338
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I said I remember "Larionov was impressive in Vancouver", though through beers and cheers my memory is mostly of his puck carrying ability and us praising him post-game over hot wings a lot. Just as I rmember how angry we were with Krutov in contrast.

Here is the Vancouver Canucks board thread I started with some good stuff on the issue: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1345089
Some of the first posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Larionov was a great Canuck, one of my very favourite players at the time.

Smart, classy player. It took him some time to adjust to the NHL game, and early on he refused to shoot the puck, but after that adjustment he was a very useful player here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Larionov was just ok his first 2 years but really shone in year 3 when he finally got a line mate he found chemistry with in Pavel Bure.

...

Krutov was a different sorry. He couldn't survive outside of the structured Russian system. When he came over he ate and drank everything in sight and was laughably overweight for a pro hockey player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
He and Krutov were going to lead us to instant respectability. Not to be, of course. As mentioned elsewhere, Krutov showed up fat and out of shape and could not function independently of the Russian training system.

But Larionov was a very good, very heads up player. Classy guy who played a classy game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
that first season, everyone was all "BUST."

as the season went on, it was more "larionov's okay i guess" whether that was a case of anyone looking good in comparison to krutov...
So yeah.. pretty much what Quinn described in his quote after Krutov died.

Larionov spoke English and was more used to metro living than Krutov who didn't speak English and had a much bigger hill to climb.

And even having the leg up, Larionov wasn't much better initially.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
  #339
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Mario's first season basically proved what he was, hell his first shift in 1984 showed the world what he was.
Projecting back again.

Sure he was really something right from the get go, but he didn't really make a statement until the late 80s.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 08:51 PM
  #340
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 6,837
vCash: 133
I'm here … pick shortly.

ck26 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:14 PM
  #341
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Yes, you've guessed it, my pick is Mark Recchi, RW/Ph.D.
Isn't a medical doctor M.D and not Ph.D?

Just curious.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:17 PM
  #342
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Doesn't that completely miss the point? The point, as I see it, is that there is a reasonable chance that the non-juiced and terrible Krutov that we saw in Vancouver was the true representation of his ability and not what happened in the eight previous seasons.
If he indeed used steroids , his true self was probably never there for us to see.

I'm not as knowledgable as Mark Recchi as far as medicine goes , but wouldn't a guy who stopped using steroids after years of abuse be worst than his true self?

His true abilities was probably somewhere in the middle , but I could be wrong.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:24 PM
  #343
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
If he indeed used steroids , his true self was probably never there for us to see.

I'm not as knowledgable as Mark Recchi as far as medicine goes , but wouldn't a guy who stopped using steroids after years of abuse be worst than his true self?

His true abilities was probably somewhere in the middle , but I could be wrong.
You are probably right. And the culture shock element would certainly heighten the effect.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:28 PM
  #344
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 593
Why would this only seem to happen to Krutov and not his green unit friends? Krutov was obviously heavily overweight, while the others was'nt and we could during different stages in their NHL-careers see that these were very good players in their prime. Fetisov was great at a very old age in Detroit, Larionov too, Makarov was all right from the get go and Kasatonov was solid even if not exceptional there for a while.

Darth Yoda is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:31 PM
  #345
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 6,837
vCash: 133
Really torn between three studs who would all look nice in this roster spot, but I think I'm going to fill out my first line with an iconic Albertan … RW Lanny McDonald

Bill Barber - Newsy Lalonde - Lanny McDonald

If nothing else, he should team up well with Larry Robinson and Rod Langway to take a dominant lead in the "Best Team Facial Hair" contest.

ck26 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:34 PM
  #346
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Really torn between three studs who would all look nice in this roster spot, but I think I'm going to fill out my first line with an iconic Albertan RW Lanny McDonald

Bill Barber - Newsy Lalonde - Lanny McDonald

If nothing else, he should team up well with Larry Robinson and Rod Langway to take a dominant lead in the "Best Team Facial Hair" contest.
Great Pick, I always find Lanny gets underrated around here.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:35 PM
  #347
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,015
vCash: 500
Is there much debate here, really?

Krutov went where he deserves to be, all things considered, just outside the top-200 all time.

He is an all-time great top-6 left winger in a 32 team draft (we're only in round 7, STARTING the 2nd line if every team took first liners, first pairings and a starting goalie with their first six picks). To say that Krutov is deserving of first line all-time selection instead of early second line selection is what is controversial here! Of course, if a team re-unites the KLM line, he is deserving of top line billing in anyone's book, just from a chemostry, optimization of skills/role on line perspective.

VanIslander is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:40 PM
  #348
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Great Pick, I always find Lanny gets underrated around here.
He used to go high didn't he, like in the top 150. Thats some nice value there though.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:41 PM
  #349
papershoes
Registered User
 
papershoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kenora, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Is there much debate here, really?

Krutov went where he deserves to be, all things considered, just outside the top-200 all time.

He is an all-time great top-6 left winger in a 32 team draft (we're only in round 7, STARTING the 2nd line if every team took first liners, first pairings and a starting goalie with their first six picks). To say that Krutov is deserving of first line all-time selection instead of early second line selection is what is controversial here! Of course, if a team re-unites the KLM line, he is deserving of top line billing in anyone's book, just from a chemostry, optimization of skills/role on line perspective.
he's actually currently on our second line

papershoes is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 09:43 PM
  #350
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
he's actually currently on our second line
Yeah, and now STARTS the time to select 2nd liners. hence, no surprise he's drafted here. (Though if the KLM is your second line, it'll be amazing/interesting to see your first line when you finish it.)

VanIslander is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.