HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to make Moves?? (Post trade proposals & rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 10:12 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
Everything about Ryan O'Reily and the Islanders is a NO!! The kid wants Tavares money and plays more like Frans Nielsen. He's too young and unaccomplished to demand that type of money.... Pass!

And are we forgetting that we are the cheapest team in the league??? Hello!!

Old
02-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Yashin for President

No way O'Reilly happens. He wants JT money. One thing the Isles will not do is pay someone else more than JT unless its an existing contract. Totally understand the Peca point, he isnt all about numbers.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:16 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Everything about Ryan O'Reily and the Islanders is a NO!! The kid wants Tavares money and plays more like Frans Nielsen. He's too young and unaccomplished to demand that type of money.... Pass!
well wanting tavares money is a problem, i agree. just because he wants it, doesn't mean he gets it. also, negotiations with the avs have soured and i believe he would sign for a more reasonable dollar figure with just about anyone other than the avs at the moment.

but plays like frans nielsen? that i can't agree with. while i like nielsen as a player, o'reilly is a heart and soul guy. i just don't see nielsen in that light.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:17 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

We have enough on the horizon in Nino, Nelson, Strome, Lee and Donovan to just stay the course and not do anything drastic...

Old
02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
i would make that trade in a heartbeat for centre depth like that. tavares, o'reilly, and nielsen give the isles their best set of players at that position since they made the yashin and peca trades. incidentally, i see o'reilly like i saw peca. isles fans loved peca because he was more than points. that's where i politely disagree with your comments. while i'm aware that ryan has greater offensive potential, i believe that o'reilly gives the nyi a greater chance to win more games, just like peca did.
So would I bro. I hate parting with Niño but all that de Hann has showed in his short stint is an incredible ability to get injured...I would push for the 3rd rounder to be in 2014 though seeing as we already dealt away our second rounder this year for Vis...

O'Reilly is exactly what this team needs. Legitimate second line center, tenacious forechecker and a beast on the boards not to mention is a solid leader at the ripe old age of 22. Acquiring him also allows us to put Franzy where he belongs...centering the third line.

I make that deal in a heartbeat...

Old
02-13-2013, 10:19 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
well wanting tavares money is a problem, i agree. just because he wants it, doesn't mean he gets it. also, negotiations with the avs have soured and i believe he would sign for a more reasonable dollar figure with just about anyone other than the avs at the moment.

but plays like frans nielsen? that i can't agree with. while i like nielsen as a player, o'reilly is a heart and soul guy. i just don't see nielsen in that light.
In that he is a two-way forward, good defensively and can chip in a good deal of offense.... Can do a bit of everything.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Boik14

Quote:
an avs fan on the trade board said he would trade o'reilly for niederreiter, dehaan, and a 3rd. i say, despite the fact that it's tough to part with two top prospects, i do it. reminds me of connolly and pyatt for peca...it was tough, but it worked out.
Thats horrible. We need offense and Nino is the closest prospect we have to helping us. Plus we have more pressing needs then another C...like how about if we're trading Nino and Dehaan we put him in a package for Luongo since you know, every goalie on our roster is a backup at best and Poulin isnt ready yet?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:26 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boik14 View Post
Thats horrible. We need offense and Nino is the closest prospect we have to helping us. Plus we have more pressing needs then another C...like how about trading Nino and Dehaan in a package for Luongo since you know, every goalie on our roster is a backup at best and Poulin isnt ready yet?
lots of holes on this roster, to be sure. however, look no further than the game against the hurricans the other night to see that this team has no concept of how to hold a lead for a number of reasons. one of those reasons, is personnel. o'reilly can help shut down other teams and preserve wins. it is hard for me to recall the last time this team went into lockdown mode to close out a game. all islander wins seem to be scrambly, heart thumping affairs. o'reilly, in my opinion, can help to change that.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:29 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
In that he is a two-way forward, good defensively and can chip in a good deal of offense.... Can do a bit of everything.
fair enough...but everyone in the know in nhl circles is aware of the intangibles that o'reilly brings to the table that nielsen does not. oh, and the fact that nielsen can't win a draw to save his life where o'reilly is already one of the better draw men in the league at 22 years old is important as well.

buy hey, all of this is easy for me to say because i don't have to live with the real world implications of making such a deal. as it turns out, hockey is NOT my day job! haha!

Old
02-13-2013, 10:32 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
O'Reilly is exactly what this team needs. Legitimate second line center, tenacious forechecker and a beast on the boards not to mention is a solid leader at the ripe old age of 22. Acquiring him also allows us to put Franzy where he belongs...centering the third line.

I make that deal in a heartbeat...
Agree with all this. But no way does that get a deal done, no possible way.

O'Reilly played great last year, emerged as their #1 C ahead of Duchene and Stastny, Duchene was moved to wing for a time!!

I think it would take a package like Hamonic, Nino OR Strome and possibly a first round pick.
Aren't we overrating Nino here?

Trades are not going to improve one team and hurt the other. If a teams wants O'Reilly, it will cost a lot.

I seriously doubt the NYI have the assets it would take, and the NYI still don't improve unless they drastically upgrade the defense. Streit and Vis are UFAs next year, GOD help us if anything happens to Hamonic.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Boik14

Quote:
lots of holes on this roster, to be sure. however, look no further than the game against the hurricans the other night to see that this team has no concept of how to hold a lead for a number of reasons. one of those reasons, is personnel. o'reilly can help shut down other teams and preserve wins. it is hard for me to recall the last time this team went into lockdown mode to close out a game. all islander wins seem to be scrambly, heart thumping affairs. o'reilly, in my opinion, can help to change that.
Or we can find a goalie who can stop a shot?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:49 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Getzlaf for what?? we already have a Number one center, I would rather Perry or Ryan...
I would personally give up any of our prospects other then Reinhart to land Getzlaf. The guy is a monster and saying we already have a #1 center does not mean we could not fit Ryan into the mix (see Malkin and Crosby). The problem is he is a free agent after the season (as you said)so giving up anyone would have to mean he would be staying and not for a rental basis of course. Another great thing about Getzlaf he is only 27 going on 28 so plenty left in the tank. The best way is to grab him via FA but he will have his choice of a minimum of 5 teams calling him and offering deals and considering we suck unless we blow someone out by a million i probably see him landing in Toronto.

02-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
I know many of you will not like the idea of trading off parts of the roster this early.... But since this is the proposal thread and none of you have any actual power with in the organization (Garth stop reading now and get back to work) I figured what the hell.. Ottawa has just lost Erik Karlsson for the season due to a terrible Achillies injury so what in terms of players/prospects/picks do you think some one like Mark Streit or Lubo could fetch from the Sens?

Old
02-14-2013, 04:56 AM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I know many of you will not like the idea of trading off parts of the roster this early.... But since this is the proposal thread and none of you have any actual power with in the organization (Garth stop reading now and get back to work) I figured what the hell.. Ottawa has just lost Erik Karlsson for the season due to a terrible Achillies injury so what in terms of players/prospects/picks do you think some one like Mark Streit or Lubo could fetch from the Sens?
I think the Sens might be wary of trading for Lubo. He could get upset for having to pack his bags again and file some sort of grievance. PLUS, Viz would be a straight up rental because there would be no way they'd sign him for next year since he wants to go back home.

I would say Streit and 1st OR Streit and Donovan/DeHaan for Silfverberg. We need more right wing depth now.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:22 AM
steveat

As far as other trades. I only have a few players on my radar.

Ryan O'Reilly - I like him and we could trade for him, but one good year is not worth what he's asking. Avs want a top 6 and a good prospect. One season is not going to tell you that he will have a Peca career.

Getzlaf - He is UFA this summer and I would try to sign him. The problem is that we have no star quality players that can teach and mentor others. JT learned all himself, but he doesn't know everything and cannot mentor his peers as well as a veteran can. Getz is young, but not young enough to not be able to bring someone's play to that next level...I don't mean skill..I mean knowledge. No trade...we just wait

Semin - This is the only (young) winger that I can see that would bring JT's game to the next level. Let me reiterate - RHS RW 8-)

Moulson - JT - Semin
Bailey - Getzlaf - Strome
Grabner/Ullstrom/Nino - B. Nelson - Okposo/Kabanov/Nielsen
M. Martin - Sundstrom/Lee - Persson/McDonald/Cizikas

- I removed Boyes from the equation because I think he is just a filler that COULD possibly have some trade value at some point.

- I actually think Aucoin...as much as I like his style, is the odd man out due to our depth at center.

- It might be better to move Nielsen to wing..Because of the lesser duties of the role, maybe he can concentrate more on offense. I think he'll do well actually

- After Aucoin, I see Moulson as the odd man out, but I think with Semin he could be a 45 Goal Scorer and that would make him a for sure 1st liner. You have two play makers that can pass and have great puck possession looking for Matty Mo crashing the net.

- Our bottom 6 has a lot of depth....even with injuries, I would have no problem with their replacements because I am confident they can do the job.

I think we are set for defence except maybe a more permanent PP QB, but we have a lot of players to experiment with on that.

Note: I left out Petrov, but if the dude ever comes over..we would definitely be stacked.

Last edited by steveat: 02-14-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: switching up the lines.
Old
02-14-2013, 05:36 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

LoL^ at Semin taking JT's game to the next level. Corey Perry, now that's a dream worth having. But they are just that, dreams. The real question is do you move Strome to RW if we are lucky enough to land a MacKinnon or Barkov or do you target a Drouin to play with JT & leave Strome @ Center. Then again maybe a defenseman like Seth Jones would help Tavares more.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:02 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
As far as other trades. I only have a few players on my radar.

Semin - This is the only (young) winger that I can see that would bring JT's game to the next level. Let me reiterate - RHS RW 8-)
We're not getting Semin - Carolina loves him and he seems to love being here as well (I live in Raleigh). I can see Semin signing long term with the Canes.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I'd give up Kyle Okposo, and nobody from the the latter 4. Give them Okposo and Persson, if they say no, tell em, adios.

O'Reilly
NHL Totals 236 39 68 107 46

Okposo
NHL Totals 283 69 96 165 166

Sure O'Reilly had a nice breakout year last year, but Okposo still outscored him goal-wise. Okposo has played 47 more games, and has scored 30 more goals and 28 more assists. What makes anyone thing O'Reilly is worth more than Okposo +. Okposo + Persson would be a big over payment. Okposo + one of Nelson/Lee/Nino/Donovan would be an incredibly dumb over payment.
EXACTLY!

I admit that ROR would be a bit enticing for the current team and we definitely have the cap space, but folks should not be acting like this kid is the second coming.

Who here has actually seen him play much?

Sending Okposo there is a lateral deal of sorts. Throwing in even a prospect of Persson's nature would have to put it over the top. In light of the fact that COL can't sign him, I can't see them getting a better deal than the one you mentioned. If they do, it's from a team that is much more desperate or possibly simply must move away some prospect riches to create space anyways.

Maybe that team is out there.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Isles Fan View Post
Unfortunately that fan is not the Avs GM, because from what I'd heard, the Avs are looking for a lot more than this.

Elliott Friedman of HNIC reported the Avs want a "cornerstone" type player in return.
Sounds like Okposo.

He often sees his attacks ended in the corners, where he's edged out and brought to a halt by opponents, who then grab the puck and move up the ice in the other direction.

So, ya, a cornerstone of sorts...

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 02-15-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 10:12 AM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

O'Reilly played great last year, emerged as their #1 C ahead of Duchene and Stastny, Duchene was moved to wing for a time!!

I think it would take a package like Hamonic, Nino OR Strome and possibly a first round pick.

Trades are not going to improve one team and hurt the other. If a teams wants O'Reilly, it will cost a lot.

I seriously doubt the NYI have the assets it would take, and the NYI still don't improve unless they drastically upgrade the defense. Streit and Vis are UFAs next year, GOD help us if anything happens to Hamonic.
...I said Nino because when I went on the Avs board to ask what they would want in return, that's who seemed to be the #1 guy they would ask for...so I don't think we are over rating him at all...

Old
02-14-2013, 10:16 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I would personally give up any of our prospects other then Reinhart to land Getzlaf. The guy is a monster and saying we already have a #1 center does not mean we could not fit Ryan into the mix (see Malkin and Crosby). The problem is he is a free agent after the season (as you said)so giving up anyone would have to mean he would be staying and not for a rental basis of course. Another great thing about Getzlaf he is only 27 going on 28 so plenty left in the tank. The best way is to grab him via FA but he will have his choice of a minimum of 5 teams calling him and offering deals and considering we suck unless we blow someone out by a million i probably see him landing in Toronto.
7yrs 42mil 6mil per???? or would it take more??

Old
02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
7yrs 42mil 6mil per???? or would it take more??
Getzlaf will get 7-8M average. He's a FA for an original 6/deep pockets franchise. Most likely will land in either Detroit or Philadelphia.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:51 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Getzlaf will get 7-8M average. He's a FA for an original 6/deep pockets franchise. Most likely will land in either Detroit or Philadelphia.
I personally prefer Perry over Getzlaf. Beggars can't be choosers so I'll take either if they're crazy enough to sign with us.

Perry paired with Tavares could be devastating. I wouldn't even mind if Moulson stuck on that line because he could set up shop in the crease and the other 2 could work their magic.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
EXACTLY!

I admit that ROR would be a bit enticing for the current team and we definitely have the cap space, but folks should not be acting like this kid is the second coming.

Who here has actually seen him play much?

Sending Okposo there is a lateral deal of sorts. Throwing in even a prospect of Persson's nature would have to put it over the top. In light of the fact that COL can't sign him, I can't see them getting a better deal than the one you mentioned. If they do, it's from a team that is much more desperate or possibly simply must move away some prospect riches to create space anyways.

Maybe that team is out there.
I'm not suggesting the Isles should necessarily make the trade for O'Reilly, especially since I don't know a]what his asking price is in terms of salary and b]what Colorado's asking price is in terms of return. However, in terms of O'Reilly versus Okposo, I disagree that it's a lateral deal.

First, Okposo seems to have plateaued, or even possibly regressed, since his first full season in the league. His play has deteriorated to the point where it's almost every single GDT where Isles fans are harping on his play, and demanding he be traded instantly. O'Reilly, on the other hand, has continued to improve each and every season, culminating in a very impressive season last year. Their career trajectories are going in opposite directions.

Second, even if you remove offensive production from the equation, O'Reilly's 100% effort and defensive play is much better than the effort and defense Okposo brings. So even if both guys are struggling to put up points, O'Reilly's still going to be a big asset to the club, while Okposo will be (like he's currently) dead weight.

Third, and maybe most importantly, O'Reilly is a center. Even if two players are of equal ability, I would always, always go with the center having more value. It's just a more critical position to the success of a hockey club. With O'Reilly, the Isles suddenly have the ideal 1-2-3 punch down the middle, with Tavares as the all star #1, O'Reilly as the two-way #2, and Nielsen slotting in finally to a more comfortable defensive #3. I believe you'd see the Isles win more games with that setup, than currently having Nielsen as a #2 and AHL fodder Aucoin as your #3.

Thus, I really don't think it's overpayment or unreasonable to expect the Isles to have to add a decent prospect or pick to the package if it centered around Okposo for O'Reilly.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:09 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

Disagree a lot. O'Reilly is a great player, but he's not a superstar. Nino had a terrible rookie season, but he's still probably one of the top-20 or 25 prospects not playing in the NHL. I think you are overrating ROR a bit with your expected cost, and extremely underrating our system by doubting whether or not we have the assets to get a deal done.

Personally, I wouldn't include Nino in a deal for ROR. I'd include Nelson and Okposo though, pretty easily, and see how close it would be. I used to not think ROR would be a good idea, but the more I think about it the more I think it could work, depending on the cost. If it ended up being Okposo, Nelson and maybe a B-level defense prospect(Pelech, Pedan, or even Donovan if we had to), we could build our forward core around something like this:

Moulson - Tavares - Strome
Bailey - O'Reilly - Niederreiter
Grabner - Nielsen - Ullstrom
Martin - Cizikas - Lee

We can shift Strome to Johnny's wing to get him that missing playmaker who can skate and can bury the puck when he needs to. We'll now have two defensive lines that can score, with the ROR and Nielsen lines. One is built around size, the other speed.

Personally, as long as ROR would sign for something reasonable, I don't think this would be a bad idea. Basically all of our forward spots will be accounted for with this deal done, and we'll still have all of our top defense prospects(Reinhart, Mayfield, Pokka, deHaan, etc.). Not to mention, we keep our 1st round pick. We can then focus all of our offseason attention towards replacing Streit and Visnovsky with a quality PMD, whether it's via UFA or trade.

I definitely think this is something the Isles should explore.

Closed Thread