HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to make Moves?? (Post trade proposals & rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 04:49 PM
islandermaniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
give me some links I want to know the people who would take him over the guys I mentioned.
go to cbc.ca and watch last night's hot stove hosted by elliot friedman.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
go to cbc.ca and watch last night's hot stove hosted by elliot friedman.
Can't find it

Old
02-17-2013, 08:38 PM
funky

Kings fan

I would live for us to get a winger with speed and hands for Kopitar. I think Grabner would be a great fit. What would it take to land him? What would the Islanders be looking for? Thanks

Old
02-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Beastrt

Bernier

Old
02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Kings fan

I would live for us to get a winger with speed and hands for Kopitar. I think Grabner would be a great fit. What would it take to land him? What would the Islanders be looking for? Thanks
Don't really think the Kings have anyone they can offer for them. He's streaky and I think our asking price might be a little too high based on that one good year. I don't think the organization is ready to cut ties with him yet. We've got this guy Bailey you can take off our hands though!!!

Old
02-17-2013, 10:39 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Nelson, Okposo, 1st for ROR. I think if we can get him then the 1st will be mid teens as we will be a playoff team. You think it would take more that that to get him or is he worth more. He reminds me of Peca and that intrigues me.
Whoah, whoah, whoah! Does anybody really think the guy is worth that? Honestly...I haven't paid a lot of attention to him, but I have not heard enough buzz about him to ever think he warrants that much in return!

It's not Okposo either. I like him better than Bailey but I think even substituting Bailey out for this trade is too much to offer. 2 first rounders? Seriously? Well...3 actually! Wasn't Nelson a first rounder?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:55 PM
NYI91

I posted this on the main board but what would everyone here think of a Rundblad for Okposo swap?

Old
02-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI91 View Post
I posted this on the main board but what would everyone here think of a Rundblad for Okposo swap?
Not so sure Phoenix would go for that.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Not so sure Phoenix would go for that.
I'm not too high on it either. If we're gonna move Okposo there'd have to be something a little bit more sure fire coming back than Rundblad. Gormley interests me more from PHX.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
wait until he's in a ranger uniform...you won't be saying that.
Actually, that's usually the exact point in time in which a player goes from good to overrated (see Redden, Gomez, etc.).

Old
02-18-2013, 05:21 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Whereas one can definitely see Rundblad as an enticing prospect, it is very strange that he's gone from a 20 year old who put up 50 some points for a championship caliber team in Sweden's top league to a guy whose, at times, had trouble making any type of impact in the AHL, even if this season has been pretty good offensively (plus player with 25 pts in 34 games).

However, we'd have to kind of imagine that type of deal as being similar to say us trading Donovan for (perhaps a younger) Stempniak, seen from the vantage point of Pheonix fans.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:48 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

General note on Nelson:
For those who haven't necessarily been following him and watching whatever highlights there are, much less keeping track of his ability to go from high school to college as a real freshman (not some 20/21 year old who spent a few years in prep school or the USHL) to being a topscorer by his sophomore year to being an impact AHL player in his first whole AHL season, let's just say that this kid is not to be traded.

Simply watch his puck possession and protection skills, his body placement, his ability to move that tall body of his and the overall hockey instincts he displays in all three zones, with and without the puck, and on the PP. To top it off, he knows when to pass and when to shoot - and he's been doing both pretty doggone effectively.

This kid is special. He may end up being THE absolute pride of the scouting department's entire span of work during the Snow period.

And in a division where two top-flight impact centers is more the norm than the exception, this team has to find out if he can be THE perfect compliment to Tavares up the middle. I don't think I'm going out on limb in writing that all indications are that he's got a number of 25-40-65 +15 years in the near future as a No. 2 center.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:25 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Actually, that's usually the exact point in time in which a player goes from good to overrated (see Redden, Gomez, etc.).
if he ends up with the rags i hope you end up being right! players like o'reilly, though, will do just fine wherever they are. he would be a pain in jt's neck for life.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:41 AM
duster19

Quote:
here is the problem: you are suggesting that the isles move forward with several rookies up front. that just doesn't work.

so, if i'm going to trade someone up front, it would be okposo. since i don't want a slew of prospects replacing nhl players, i would keep nielsen. despite his flaws (not super physical, poor on draws) he has qualities that can help win games. he is a proven nhl player. if he was playing where he belonged, on the third line, isles fans would love him even more than they already do because he would be playing a proper role and his production would suit said role. i am not convinced that cizikas is ready for a 3c role yet. it is fatal for isles fans to always assume that our prospects are ready to fill such roles.

as for the swiss miss (his whining like a little girl has given rise to the name not the way he plays)...he has value and is a prospect. at this point he is nothing more than that. no one can even convince me that he is the best isles prospect in bridgeport. he has 30 goal potential...ya, i get it...but i take a shot at o'reilly despite the fact that o'reilly likely does not have the same goal scoring potential.

anyway, i believe a package of okposo and niederretier has value. enough value to get o'reilly? i have no idea. i'll leave that to the the real hockey people. i just hope the isles don't get rid of serviceable veterans to replace them with children before those children are ready for productive nhl service.
Agreed.

Prospects are prospects. You cant fall in love with them - most of them never make it, even the ones that are no brainers.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Agreed.

Prospects are prospects. You cant fall in love with them - most of them never make it, even the ones that are no brainers.
In the same regard there have been plenty of players whom had one quality season and never matched those levels again.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:19 AM
duster19

Quote:
General note on Nelson:
For those who haven't necessarily been following him and watching whatever highlights there are, much less keeping track of his ability to go from high school to college as a real freshman (not some 20/21 year old who spent a few years in prep school or the USHL) to being a topscorer by his sophomore year to being an impact AHL player in his first whole AHL season, let's just say that this kid is not to be traded.

Simply watch his puck possession and protection skills, his body placement, his ability to move that tall body of his and the overall hockey instincts he displays in all three zones, with and without the puck, and on the PP. To top it off, he knows when to pass and when to shoot - and he's been doing both pretty doggone effectively.

This kid is special. He may end up being THE absolute pride of the scouting department's entire span of work during the Snow period.

And in a division where two top-flight impact centers is more the norm than the exception, this team has to find out if he can be THE perfect compliment to Tavares up the middle. I don't think I'm going out on limb in writing that all indications are that he's got a number of 25-40-65 +15 years in the near future as a No. 2 center.
Totally Agree. I love the idea of ROR in an islanders uniform because I think his effort level and ability/want to compete are something the islanders drastically lack (bailey, boyes, moulson to name a few). However, Nelson is the guy they might be looking at wondering if he is there 2nd line center. I would be surprised if Aucoin waived to take a look at Nelson. How nice would the isles look with JT - ROR - Neilsen - Nelson and push Czikas to the wing.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:28 AM
scott99

Quote:
General note on Nelson:

Very well said, and I agree 100%. I'm very excited about Nelson's potential. It seems that every league he goes to, there is a short adjustment, and then he dominates. He has great hockey sense that allows him to seemingly always be in the right place at the right time. I'm equally excited about Nelson as I am about Strome. Add in Sundstrom, and we are stacked with very talented centers.

As far as Nelson, I expect to see him in the NHL sometime this season along with Niño.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:29 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
General note on Nelson:

Very good post. This is one thing I would want people to realize, Nelson is a very high end guy whom could easily be what the Islanders have lacked. A top end Center prospect whom will step in and be able to play in all situations.

I like Frans and think Frans is a lite version of what we will see with Nelson. The ability to play in all three zones, distribute the puck and read the play better than most.

Furthermore, first PP unit, Nelson standing in front of the cage, screening and doing the dirty work. I expect that unit to be lethal in the very near future.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
I'm not too high on it either. If we're gonna move Okposo there'd have to be something a little bit more sure fire coming back than Rundblad. Gormley interests me more from PHX.
If we move Okposo in season I think we need a RW coming back. I'd try and trade Okposo for Horton, Horton gives us more size and jam and skill. Okposo gives them a second line RW who will do better under Julien at a good cost of 2.8 per year (cap hit) while they won't be able to afford Horton next year.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:58 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

A lot of NYI/PHX chatter over the last year, or so.

How would you fellas feel around something like Keith Yandle and a 2nd(or comparable value) for Nielsen and Niederreiter? Close? Crazy? Just plain dumb?

02-18-2013, 10:04 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

How would you fellas feel around something like Keith Yandle and a 2nd(or comparable value) for Nielsen and Niederreiter? Close? Crazy? Just plain dumb?
Yandle has been rumored to go to just about every team in the NHL at some point.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:13 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Yandle has been rumored to go to just about every team in the NHL at some point.
And has likely never actually been offered to any of them. Trade rumors are a given when you look at Phoenix's blueline depth and budgetary constraints. It is pretty easy for people to look at those two factors and then look at Yandle. With raises due to OEL and Smith, and the budget not likely to grow, something has to give. I don't expect the Coyotes to remain in Arizona but I do expect the front office to plan for the team to stay. You really can't go about business any other way. As such, we will likely be budget conscious until the day the au revoir announcement is made.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:

I don't think I've seen enough of Yandle to gauge his value properly, but that looks close to value.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:17 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
If we move Okposo in season I think we need a RW coming back. I'd try and trade Okposo for Horton, Horton gives us more size and jam and skill. Okposo gives them a second line RW who will do better under Julien at a good cost of 2.8 per year (cap hit) while they won't be able to afford Horton next year.
a problem here is that horton is unrestricted at the end of the year. what the isles could do is to make a trade for a player that has multiple years remaining on a deal (or is an upcoming rfa) that a team up against the cap can no longer afford. is there such a player and team in the league? i remember a couple of years ago the hawks having to deal off versteeg and big buff due to this sutation...

Last edited by islandermaniac: 02-18-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 10:26 AM
seafoam

Quote:

At the end of the day, I think Frans and Nino will be more valuable to the Islanders than Yandle and a pick.

With Streit extension talks reportedly beginning and Matt Donovan presumably close to ready down in Bridgeport, it's looking like the Isles will try to address the defense from within or try and lure an UFA defenseman.

Frans is a veteran presence on the ice who plays in all situations and is the best in shootouts. He is also a fan favorite and on a good contract. I'm not saying he's untouchable, but unless Casey Cizikas or a prospect like Sundstrom for example flat out outplays Frans, I think he will be the Islanders' third line center for the near future.

Nino is a former top five pick whom the organization is still high on. He has been impressive in Bridgeport and should be a full time NHLer soon.

Kyle Okposo's unacceptable play has landed him in the doghouse of Islander fans and Josh Bailey is a restricted free agent at the end of the season and has had his fair share of ups and downs as an Islander. Brad Boyes is also a free agent at the end of the season.

Some questions still need be answered before the Isles make any impact moves, but real solid value rt.

Closed Thread