HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to make Moves?? (Post trade proposals & rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I love the lineup, I just don't have the confidence in this team bringing in any UFAs. At least UFAs on Perry's level. I hope they prove me wrong though.
The sad part is with that line up your only adding 1 high end FA and we are probably losing Vis or Streit so 1 freaking FA singing on this team could work miracles..sigh

Last edited by Killerlnstinct: 02-22-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 08:00 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Remember, Pietrangelo took time, and sucked when they dropped him in immediately. They put him back down, then brought him up after some development. Doughty was this generation's Potvin. I don't think you can compare him and Reinhart at all. Bogo is a long work in progress. Hedman has made some good strides but is far from complete.

I am not saying he can't be a good option on the third pair, but not top 4 any time soon.

Disagree. Unless my definition of "soon" is different than yours. Even if he struggles from day one, I wouldn't be surprised to see him settle into playing as a top-4 by the end of his rookie season. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him not struggle at all. His size is already NHL quality. His defensive ability is already NHL quality. It's just a matter of whether or not it's 3rd pair level or top-4 level.

BTW, two kids who also had one year of development before making the jump were OEL and Hamilton. One is a top-10 NHL defenseman and the other is having a strong rookie season. I suppose Reinhart could just as easily have a Gudbranson type rookie season, but the previous two guys I mentioned at least prove it's possible for him to succeed from day one.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
HyeDray

Watched/listened to the game last night listened while at work for 2 periods, watched the 3rd and OT. My casual observations....

Biggest issue right now as far an individual players Hamonic and A. MacDonald are playing very poorly overall. They have instances where they are OK, but the give-aways, missed checks, losing battles constantly which have led to goals against is a massive problem. These two are supposed to be top pair??? No way. They are being over used and misused. Nothing new for the Islanders and Cappy.

Bottom line is the Islanders D has been a problem again.

Kyle Okposo is the invisible man COMPLETELY invisible. There is nothing to his game at all.

My starting line-up for Saturday against the Sabres.

Tavares centers Moulson and Boyes (The NHL pros)
Neilsen centers Bailey and Grabner (Neilsen misused but best option as #2 center)
Aucoin centers Ullstrom and Cizikas (Move Cizikas to wing deserves more ice time)
Reasoner centers Boulton and McDonald (Physical line with decent face-off man)

Visovsky - Streit
MacDonald - Hickey
Martinek - Finley

Nabokov
DiPietro

Okposo and Hamonic would sit. I would like to sit MacDonald as well, but Strait is out, and so is Carkner. If Carkner is good to go, he takes A-Macs spot. I think Hamonic and A-Mac need a reality check, time off, benching, scolding... what ever you want to call it. They just have been really struggling.

Hamonic and A-Mac are good, young defenders who are struggling right now and I think both need some perspective. They are as I said being misused and being played in situations they can't quite handle. They are NOT, and perhaps never will be top pair material. I have long felt that the Islanders lack true top pair calibre players. Reinhardt may be that guy 3 seasons from now. But other then him, I am not sure we have that game changing defender that we really need to take the team to the next level.

Okposo has been a disaster this season in all situations. He is a slow starter, but clearly, he is not playing well at all, and he is hardly skating. His compete level is a joke right now.

Reasoner is what he is. Perhaps the 3rd/4th unit listed above can be mixed/matched, but Okposo should be kept out of the line-up right now just my opinion.

Should the Islanders see themselves in the top position on draft day, Seth Jones is a no brainer. But if we are a bit further down in the draft, taking another forward is not the play. I would be looking at Nurse or Zadorov. These d-men may still be a few years out, but clearly, if Snow is not going to either sign a top pair player in his prime, or trade for one, then we are going to need to do it via draft.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:33 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
Oh I agree and hate to bring it up but I am a realist and live in the now.

Not in what could have been and what might be.
Living in the now is the way to go bud.

But looking to the future, I hope ownership invests more fundage into this team.

Will Wang be inclined once he's generating more revenues at Barclays?

Will NYI be attractive to a potential buyer post-relocation?

Old
02-22-2013, 09:41 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Watched/listened to the game last night listened while at work for 2 periods, watched the 3rd and OT. My casual observations....

Biggest issue right now as far an individual players Hamonic and A. MacDonald are playing very poorly overall. They have instances where they are OK, but the give-aways, missed checks, losing battles constantly which have led to goals against is a massive problem. These two are supposed to be top pair??? No way. They are being over used and misused. Nothing new for the Islanders and Cappy.

Kyle Okposo is the invisible man COMPLETELY invisible. There is nothing to his game at all.

Neilsen centers Bailey and Grabner (Neilsen misused but best option as #2 center)
Aucoin centers Ullstrom and Cizikas (Move Cizikas to wing deserves more ice time)

Visovsky - Streit
MacDonald - Hickey
Martinek - Finley

Nabokov
DiPietro

Okposo and Hamonic would sit. I would like to sit MacDonald as well, but Strait is out, and so is Carkner. If Carkner is good to go, he takes A-Macs spot. I think Hamonic and A-Mac need a reality check, time off, benching, scolding... what ever you want to call it. They just have been really struggling.

Hamonic and A-Mac are good, young defenders who are struggling right now and I think both need some perspective. They are as I said being misused and being played in situations they can't quite handle. They are NOT, and perhaps never will be top pair material. I have long felt that the Islanders lack true top pair calibre players. Reinhardt may be that guy 3 seasons from now. But other then him, I am not sure we have that game changing defender that we really need to take the team to the next level.

Okposo has been a disaster this season in all situations. He is a slow starter, but clearly, he is not playing well at all, and he is hardly skating. His compete level is a joke right now.

Reasoner is what he is. Perhaps the 3rd/4th unit listed above can be mixed/matched, but Okposo should be kept out of the line-up right now just my opinion.

Should the Islanders see themselves in the top position on draft day, Seth Jones is a no brainer. But if we are a bit further down in the draft, taking another forward is not the play. I would be looking at Nurse or Zadorov. These d-men may still be a few years out, but clearly, if Snow is not going to either sign a top pair player in his prime, or trade for one, then we are going to need to do it via draft.
You forgot Matt Martin.

Your lines show the problem with this team....
That 2nd line would be a good third line.
That 3rd line would be a good effective 4th line.
Reasoner and Boulton should not be playing a regular shift. McDonald would be a decent 4th line player.

We need a first line winger to play with Moulson and JT, a 2nd line center, and a 2nd line winger. Boyes takes the other spot on that line. Next year, we basically need 4 top-6 forwards.

As for the D, add a first pairing, and we would be pretty good.

I disagree with benching Hamonic and MacDonald. They have not been playing poorly due to lack of effort. They are being asked to do too much. The problem is, so is everybody. Benching them won't do much if they are going to be thrown right back into the same situation. Benching them for a game won't suddenly make them top-pairing shut-down dmen. Hamonic-Vis and AMac-Streit would be excellent 2nd/3rd pairings.

It is frustrating how many key pieces this team is still missing. I disagree with those saying we should get rid of everyone, the players we have can be successful. We just need to put them in the right roles. But the team is seriously lacking in impact players. Hopefully some of Strome, Nino, Reinhart and Nelson can be that kind of player, but we need more. If Wang doesn't open up the wallet this team will be in the lottery next year as well.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:

Visovsky - Streit
MacDonald - Hickey
Martinek - Finley

Nabokov
DiPietro

Bench Hamonic? Because of one bad game? MacDonald has had about 12 bad games... why keep him in the lineup over arguably our best defensive defenseman and our only defender who actually plays some sort of physical game?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:

Visovsky - Streit
MacDonald - Hickey
Martinek - Finley

Nabokov
DiPietro

LOL looks like someone doesn't know hockey too well. You want to pair Streit and Lubo together? That's just turrrrible. Hamonic played about 10 more minutes than Hickey yesterday against the other teams top lines. People are overrating Hickey like crazy. Why the hell would they move Cizikas to the wing? He's been great at face-offs and playing very well two-way game. Also, Finley plays LD not RD and Martinek would play RD not LD.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Christina Woloski
#FIREBENNING

There's going to be so so so many FAs this off season.

There's no reason to give up any assets.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:30 AM
19NYSports91

Instead of trading for O'Reilly, I would much rather get Stephen Weiss without trading any assets and he would be cheaper as well. This guy is really underrated.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:33 AM
JetsMetsIsles

Maybe its just wishful thinking but you'd have to think if Wang would actually pay a top tier FA that a good to great winger would want to come here. You have Tavares Moulson and a blank space. Playing with Tavares and guaranteed power play time sounds pretty good to me.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Strummergas
Regular User

Quote:

Visovsky - Streit
MacDonald - Hickey
Martinek - Finley

Nabokov
DiPietro

Nice post. I agree, except that Martin should be in over Boulton.

Hamonic needs to sit, but it's because his poor play is related to the ankle sprain he's been nursing since the Winnipeg game. He hasn't been very good since then because he's never had a chance to let the injury heal. Sit him on Saturday and Sunday to give it a few days rest before Boston on Tuesday. When Hamonic comes back, sit MacDonald.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Instead of trading for O'Reilly, I would much rather get Stephen Weiss without trading any assets and he would be cheaper as well. This guy is really underrated.
Florida wants a 1st+ for him. He's a UFA at years end.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Florida wants a 1st+ for him. He's a UFA at years end.
I was talking about getting him in the summer.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:51 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
You forgot Matt Martin.

Reasoner and Boulton should not be playing a regular shift. McDonald would be a decent 4th line player.

We need a first line winger to play with Moulson and JT, a 2nd line center, and a 2nd line winger. Boyes takes the other spot on that line. Next year, we basically need 4 top-6 forwards.As for the D, add a first pairing, and we would be pretty good.

I disagree with benching Hamonic and MacDonald. They have not been playing poorly due to lack of effort. They are being asked to do too much. The problem is, so is everybody. Benching them won't do much if they are going to be thrown right back into the same situation. Benching them for a game won't suddenly make them top-pairing shut-down dmen. Hamonic-Vis and AMac-Streit would be excellent 2nd/3rd pairings.

It is frustrating how many key pieces this team is still missing. I disagree with those saying we should get rid of everyone, the players we have can be successful. We just need to put them in the right roles. But the team is seriously lacking in impact players. Hopefully some of Strome, Nino, Reinhart and Nelson can be that kind of player, but we need more. If Wang doesn't open up the wallet this team will be in the lottery next year as well.
What I have bolded from your quote, makes sense, and the timing couldn't be more perfect for next season. Strome, Nino, Nelson and possibly more, will be with the team next season. Might I add, if we wind up drafting really high, say top 2, Jones or Mackinnon might be playing for the Isles next season as well. Gonna be an interesting season next year, time for some of those young pups to step up, if we don't get any decent FA signings, gonna be a lot of rookies in the lineup next season.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:13 PM
HyeDray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
You forgot Matt Martin.

We need a first line winger to play with Moulson and JT, a 2nd line center, and a 2nd line winger. Boyes takes the other spot on that line. Next year, we basically need 4 top-6 forwards.

As for the D, add a first pairing, and we would be pretty good.

HOLY COW everyone I am sorry!!! I can't believe I left Matt Martin OFF!!!! Don't tell him. He'll kick my butt

Yes I would put Martin in over Boulton.

I agree with this sentiment.
The line I have as the #2 line is actually a solid #3 line.
And yes we need a top pair defensive unit.

As for the second unit I think that will come next season. A second line centered by Strome, with Nelson and Nino could be really strong.

I like what Boyes has been doing playing with JT and Moulson.

I also agree Hamonic and A-Mac have been doing too much, and perhaps that is the reason for the poor play, but at the same time, I am not sure being asked to do to much, and missing checks/poor passes are because of that. Perhaps they can work through it all, but something needs to shake out.

With DiPietro now gone, I think the overall dynamic in the room changes some. In seasons past it seemed as though once DP was gone, everyone else seemed to relax. Not sure if I am just being too hard on DP, but he was a cancer on the team, and having him gone makes us so much better addition by subtraction.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:16 PM
HyeDray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Nice post. I agree, except that Martin should be in over Boulton.

Hamonic needs to sit, but it's because his poor play is related to the ankle sprain he's been nursing since the Winnipeg game. He hasn't been very good since then because he's never had a chance to let the injury heal. Sit him on Saturday and Sunday to give it a few days rest before Boston on Tuesday. When Hamonic comes back, sit MacDonald.
You know I had forgotten about that injury. That is a very good reminder. Thanks.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

O'Reilly would be a much better addition than Stephen Weiss.... even at the cost of assets. Weiss is a nice enough player, but he doesn't really get you anywhere that having Nielsen in that spot wouldn't.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:54 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
HOLY COW — everyone I am sorry!!! I can't believe I left Matt Martin OFF!!!! Don't tell him. He'll kick my butt

Yes — I would put Martin in over Boulton.

I agree with this sentiment.
The line I have as the #2 line is actually a solid #3 line.
And yes — we need a top pair defensive unit.

As for the second unit — I think that will come next season. A second line centered by Strome, with Nelson and Nino could be really strong.

I like what Boyes has been doing playing with JT and Moulson.

I also agree Hamonic and A-Mac have been doing too much, and perhaps that is the reason for the poor play, but at the same time, I am not sure being asked to do to much, and missing checks/poor passes are because of that. Perhaps they can work through it all, but something needs to shake out.

With DiPietro now gone, I think the overall dynamic in the room changes some. In seasons past it seemed as though once DP was gone, everyone else seemed to relax. Not sure if I am just being too hard on DP, but he was a cancer on the team, and having him gone makes us so much better — addition by subtraction.
Just an aside - with DP gone we hope, will we learn the greatest lesson of this debacle?

DP was a starter and elite netminder and ASG goalie and all the accolades before he played one game as a starter. He earned NOTHING but fans gave him every bit of awe that Ken Dryden EARNED.

So maybe take a wait-and-see approach with the kids. Nino, from what NHL hockey we saw, SUCKED. Strome is a smallish guy with hands much like so many other can't miss stories that remained in the minors {I have hope}. Nelson could add offense, maybe grit, maybe he's Brad Lauer redux? Watch the kid try and steal time from established vets and then draw the lineup cards.

We gotta stop putting kids on pedestals we're only assuring we'll want to demolish by doing so.

Want me excited about an 18 year old?

Tell her to bring me a beer in a bikini.

BTW, not a shot at you, just general commentary. I read every "Guppy is better than Shark" post and feel the same way.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:09 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
O'Reilly would be a much better addition than Stephen Weiss.... even at the cost of assets. Weiss is a nice enough player, but he doesn't really get you anywhere that having Nielsen in that spot wouldn't.
weiss is not o'reilly, i agree. o'reilly would become a fan favourite on the island...guaranteed. for heaven's sake, fans loved steve friggin webb because he played hard! how would they feel about a kid who worked as hard AND could deliver the goods of an all around game? the days of guys who worked their butts off, like johnny tonelli, have been forgotten by isles fans. that's too bad. it means the fans on the island settle for a bunch of pansies on the nhl roster and for the greener pastures of the next shiny new prospect. i find it absolutely amusing that people make wise guy comments about o'reilly's "limited" offensive upside despite the fact that he posted 55 points as a 3rd year pro. (for the record, weiss' career year is a whopping 6 points greater than that.)

to compare to some islanders, o'reilly as a 21 year old has posted a better point getting season than okposo, nielsen, and grabner. many fans believe these guys still have untapped potential. if so, why doesn't a kid like o'reilly?

but ya, some of you guys are right, o'reilly isn't worth nino niederreiter

give me a break...

Old
02-22-2013, 09:55 PM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Disagree. Unless my definition of "soon" is different than yours. Even if he struggles from day one, I wouldn't be surprised to see him settle into playing as a top-4 by the end of his rookie season. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him not struggle at all. His size is already NHL quality. His defensive ability is already NHL quality. It's just a matter of whether or not it's 3rd pair level or top-4 level.

BTW, two kids who also had one year of development before making the jump were OEL and Hamilton. One is a top-10 NHL defenseman and the other is having a strong rookie season. I suppose Reinhart could just as easily have a Gudbranson type rookie season, but the previous two guys I mentioned at least prove it's possible for him to succeed from day one.
Hamilton was the complete package and jumped into a great team at the ground floor. They didn't put any expectations on him and at times limited his time. OEL is more the exception not the rule.

It isn't that the talent is lacking, it is there, but it is the development of the talent that is the hard part. I guarantee you if you dump Reinhart into a top 4 role next season without any transition season or seasons he's going to struggle. Being BIG doesn't help you when you aren't used to the speed of the game. Just look at Finley. Size is great, but development is greater.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:36 AM
bigd

If we had Chara and Luongo we would be a contender. Oh, I forgot, we got rid of them.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:28 AM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
There's going to be so so so many FAs this off season.

There's no reason to give up any assets.
I keep hearing that, but when you go to a cap site and look at projected salaries vs the new cap next year there are only a few teams that need to shed one salary to be compliant.

I think many people just assume there will be a giant Ufa dump next year. When you look at the numbers it doesn't look that big. The good ones will still refuse to come here and will have at least ten better options for clubs.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
19NYSports91

Like I said Stephen Weiss is extremely underrated. You guys would rather giver up a top prospect, roster player and a draft pick for O'Reilly and not only that, but you have to pay him 5mil per year?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht

Had a dream last night that we got both Subban and O'Reilly in the summer lol

Wtf is wrong with me hahaha

Old
02-23-2013, 01:16 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Agreed. Two bad teams trading each others underperformers aint getting anybody anywhere.

The team is flawed, but really needs a NHL coach badly.

Wasn't it not too long ago that stewart in STL was being ripped. Add Hitch and thats all gone

Closed Thread