HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to make Moves?? (Post trade proposals & rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
goal1228

vCash: 500
Question : What happens if O'Reilly does not sign with the Avs this year ... how long do they still have his rights ?

Old
02-12-2013, 01:13 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Mark Streit
Josh Bailey
Anders Lee
Matt Donovan

Chris Stewart
Kris Russell
Evgeni Grachev

Old
02-12-2013, 01:38 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post

Mark Streit
Josh Bailey
Anders Lee
Matt Donovan

Chris Stewart
Kris Russell
Evgeni Grachev

God no!!!!!! You picked two of my favorite forwards in Josh Bailey and Anders Lee. Bailey is gonna break out this year and we've just scratched the surface with him. The last 20 games last year and first 2 games this year, he looks like a totally different player.

Anders Lee is gonna be a beast!! I like him more than Nino... He's a natural leader.

I know you have to give up talent to receive talent, but I don't like this deal.... Give them Okposo OR Nino instead of Bailey and Lee.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:41 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
Question : What happens if O'Reilly does not sign with the Avs this year ... how long do they still have his rights ?
I think 4 yrs.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:55 PM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think 4 yrs.
Thanks

Old
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Obviously we don't trade Tavares and Hamonic, maybe Matt Martin as well... But another guy I add to that list is Josh Bailey. Her's my reasoning. The guy was mishandled in every way possible from day one. This guy was an 18 year old kid nowhere near ready for the NHL when they threw him out there. It has been a struggle and some injuries ever since. Unlike Nino, where after a year with the big club, they realized he wasn't ready and send him down to Bridgeport for a year of seasoning, Josh wasn't that lucky....... In spite of all this, it really looks like he is finally figuring it all out, growing his man muscles, and becoming the player we hoped he could be... The last 20 games last year and first 2 games this year, he looks like a different player... He looks confident.. He is skating and passing with confidence.... Now the Islanders have to, first off, KEEP HIM and secondly, put him on a line with other scorers and give him every chance to succeed. Don't put him on the 4th line and then question why he isn't scoring more.....................

But it would be a typical Islanders move, after 4 years of growing pains, the Islanders will trade him just as he figures it out, and let another team reap the fruits of 4 years of hard labor and growing pains.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:57 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
He may not be prototypical in the sense that he is a physical center, but he is very much a shutdown defensive C, perfect for a good teams checking line. There aren't many teams in the NHL where Frans wouldn't be their 3rd line center, going against the other teams top line every night. Unfortunately for us, he's our 2nd line center.
I like Neilsen. I'm not saying give him away. I'm just agreeing with earlier posts and saying that with guys like Sundstrom, Nelson and Cizikas as potential 3rd line Cs, if a deal comes along where you can improve the team elsewhere for now and the future, then I'd deal Frans.

Streit, Vis, Nabby, etc. are only going to get you a draft pick.

What the Isles really need to do is trade some combination of prospects, picks and/or players for a prospect upgrade or better yet a youngish established player. And as much as we might want to package Reasoner or Boulton, if we want quality back we've got to give quality up. Hence Frans.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
I am surprised this thread is hot. The Isles won't be trading anyone but vets for picks or prospets at the deadline, or earlier if a team wants to give the vet some time with their new club. What you see, is what you get.

Or maybe John and Travis will flex their muscle and start demanding a commitment from management and ownership towards improving the club in a real way. I really hope they do because it won't happen unless they do this. It still may not happen because the owner no longer cares about the on ice product or the development of the kids. It is pretty obvious, and I expect it to get more obvious, even for the koolaid salesmen in here, when this summer passes and the team salary is at the floor, again.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 162
A lot of people may not like this theory but here it goes anyways.....

Keep Moulson, Tavares, Martin, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Hamonic, Strait, MacDonald and DP (because no one is gonna trade for him unfortunately). Prospects held onto: Reinhart, Nelson, Nino (could be had for in trade if a really good deal comes along), Strome (same case as Nino), Donovan (have to see what we have in him) and collegiate players (Lee, Mayfield).

Everyone else SHOULD be shopped. Keeping the same guys year after year and hoping they finally take the next step is going to get you nowhere. Some of these players are just not great players. Role players? Yes, but they need better talent around them to thrive as role players.

13/14

Moulson - Tavaes - (Nino/Strome in 2013-14 or trade)
Ullstrom - Nelson (in 2013-14) - (Nino/Strome in 2013-14 or trade)
XXX - Cizikas - XXX
Martin - XXX - XXX

XXX - XXX
MacDonald - Hamonic
Strait - XXX (Donovan/De Haan if they're finally ready)

Hickey as a 6th/7th

Poulin/stop gap FA (a la Theodore)
DP/Poulin

Clear needs;
- at least one top 2 defenseman (Streit is slowly declining)
- possibly two top 6 wingers (Nino, Strome, Okposo, Grabner, Bailey, Nielsen as trade bait)
- 3rd line wingers (maybe some combination of the aforementioned trade bait can find chemistry and work)
- good/reliable 4th line center.

Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan are at least another 2-3 years away. Nelson, Strome and Niederreiter should be ready to contribute next year.

Pieces that could be had for/should be shopped around for an improvement on this team;

- Okposo
- Grabner
- Nielsen
- Visnovsky
- Streit
- Nabakov
- Boyes
- Bailey
- Reasoner

Have a way at it...

Old
02-12-2013, 02:11 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I am surprised this thread is hot. The Isles won't be trading anyone but vets for picks or prospets at the deadline, or earlier if a team wants to give the vet some time with their new club. What you see, is what you get.

Or maybe John and Travis will flex their muscle and start demanding a commitment from management and ownership towards improving the club in a real way. I really hope they do because it won't happen unless they do this. It still may not happen because the owner no longer cares about the on ice product or the development of the kids. It is pretty obvious, and I expect it to get more obvious, even for the koolaid salesmen in here, when this summer passes and the team salary is at the floor, again.
If the Isles lose Streit, Vis, Nabby, Boyes, etc before next season, they're going to have to make up for their salaries one way or the other just to reach the floor, which they have to do. We could be talking about $15 million, and some of their replacements will be on ELCs. Hamonic and Bailey contracts are not going to be that huge. So like it or not, I think Wang is going to have to get some kind of quality player in here.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Eklund back at it again.

Link

Quote:
On the Island...

There are some definite clues out there that the Islanders may have grown frustrated trying to get a deal done with Edmonton and moved on to discussions with Minnesota. There could also be some other BIG news coming out of Long Island in the next week to ten days... (sorry to be vague...will have more ion that when able to...

Old
02-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
If the Isles lose Streit, Vis, Nabby, Boyes, etc before next season, they're going to have to make up for their salaries one way or the other just to reach the floor, which they have to do.
The cap ceiling is going down significantly next season. I'm not sure if the floor is as well, but I assume it will be.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Eklund back at it again.

Link
Heatley for Okposo.

Minnesota gets another home town kid, Isles get another contract with a cap hit higher than the dollar pay out. Minnesota retains some salary in the deal.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Heatley for Okposo.

Minnesota gets another home town kid, Isles get another contract with a cap hit higher than the dollar pay out. Minnesota retains some salary in the deal.
That may actually give JT a legitimate top line winger to play with.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Eklund back at it again.

Link
Hopefully the other BIG news Eklund is talking about, is Wang selling the team.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:39 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The cap ceiling is going down significantly next season. I'm not sure if the floor is as well, but I assume it will be.
Cap floor stays at 44 million next season.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Poliz24

My best trade idea would be DP's contract and in return a brand new building in Nassau County... Oh sorry i just woke up from my dream. All kidding aside, Streit, Okposo & Nino can be moved. We drafted 7 D-men last year can we move any of them except Reinhart, Pokka and Pelech? Or is it too early in their development?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:50 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Exactly. Thank you. I'm not suggesting that the Isles should absolutely just trade him away, but I wouldn't consider him untouchable at all.

Jesus, it's like people read things and see it all black and white.
That's not it at all actually...I am not seeing anything black and white...bottom line is JT, Hamonic, Nielsen and Martin are the only guys I've never seen not just go through the motions, that is this teams problem also. If we get rid of Fran's...well we just made another big hole to replace. MM is good because JT makes him look way better then he is, Fran's has 9pts in 12 games because of himself, trade MM, KO, Streit etc not Nielsen who is in his prime and will be for many years to come. Sorry but this guy is loyal, hardworking, a future selke winner if the right pieces are in place. You don't trade a guy like him. We have plenty of prospects/draft picks etc that could be moved way before him. I may even go as far as to trade a 1st rd pick before him. He's already here and NHL ready and a steady player that is hard to replace who plays every aspect except hitting exceptionally well and is the only player who I've also never seen be a liability...who says a draft pick we trade or prospect for that matter will turn out to be better then him. That would be a typical Islander GM move...making a move based on hoping it was the right choice rather then making the smart move. But see it how you'd like bud. Snow trades him he is a moron...there are other pieces that could be moved. JT, Hamonic and Nielsen are the only players deserving of the position they fill and are all very good character players and there best has yet to be seen. Get a winger on FA once we move or package MM,KO or picks/ prospects or Streit, viz or w.e... Not Nielsen, no reason to lose a player like him when it can be done other ways...that's just stupid and a amateur move, once again just IMO.

Last edited by NYI JT91: 02-12-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
That may actually give JT a legitimate top line winger to play with.
You haven't seen Heatley play lately have you....

He's a shell of his former self. Skating has gotten worse and he just camps out in front of the net waiting for a rebound.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Heatley for Okposo.

Okposo's not gonna net you Heatley and he's got an NTC (I think) and a big salary. I'd love Heatley on the Isles but I really can't see it happening.

A deal with Minny for Okposo should be possible though. They love homegrown kids so if they offer up Okposo and Ness and see what they offer in return, they might get a good deal

Old
02-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Okposo's not gonna net you Heatley and he's got an NTC (I think) and a big salary. I'd love Heatley on the Isles but I really can't see it happening.

A deal with Minny for Okposo should be possible though. They love homegrown kids so if they offer up Okposo and Ness and see what they offer in return, they might get a good deal
NTC became fully void when he waived it to go to SJ.

Heatley's cap hit this year and next: $7.5 million
Heatley's pay out $6 mil (too lazy to prorate for this year) and $ 5 million next

Minnesota retains $2.5 mil next year - $5 mil cap hit, $2.5 mil payout.

Okposo's contract: $2.8 cap hit next 3 years
Okposo payout: $3 mil, $3.5 mil, $4.5 mil.

$5 mil cap hit and $2.5 mil payout vs $2.8 mil cap hit and $3 mil payout.

Last edited by Marlo Stanfield: 02-12-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
You haven't seen Heatley play lately have you....

He's a shell of his former self. Skating has gotten worse and he just camps out in front of the net waiting for a rebound.
Yes this is true, but he's a big addition over KO. And if we can manage bigger fish we bump him down to the 2nd line. I'd say KO and a 2nd rd pick gets this deal done.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:47 PM
startainfection*

okposo for clutterbuck

streit and reasoner for whitney and sutton

Old
02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

Travis can flex all he wants, not even i care what he wants. Should we ask reinhart's opinion too?

Jt is also just a player under contract. This isnt one if those stupid hollywood sports movies, its a profit seeking fanchise.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:53 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
If the Isles lose Streit, Vis, Nabby, Boyes, etc before next season, they're going to have to make up for their salaries one way or the other just to reach the floor, which they have to do. We could be talking about $15 million, and some of their replacements will be on ELCs. Hamonic and Bailey contracts are not going to be that huge. So like it or not, I think Wang is going to have to get some kind of quality player in here.
They have the option of trying to resign streit, boyes (who wants him anyways) and nabby.

Closed Thread