HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Time to make Moves?? (Post trade proposals & rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 03:54 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
A lot of people may not like this theory but here it goes anyways.....

Keep Moulson, Tavares, Martin, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Hamonic, Strait, MacDonald and DP (because no one is gonna trade for him unfortunately). Prospects held onto: Reinhart, Nelson, Nino (could be had for in trade if a really good deal comes along), Strome (same case as Nino), Donovan (have to see what we have in him) and collegiate players (Lee, Mayfield).

Everyone else SHOULD be shopped. Keeping the same guys year after year and hoping they finally take the next step is going to get you nowhere. Some of these players are just not great players. Role players? Yes, but they need better talent around them to thrive as role players.

13/14

Moulson - Tavaes - (Nino/Strome in 2013-14 or trade)
Ullstrom - Nelson (in 2013-14) - (Nino/Strome in 2013-14 or trade)
XXX - Cizikas - XXX
Martin - XXX - XXX

XXX - XXX
MacDonald - Hamonic
Strait - XXX (Donovan/De Haan if they're finally ready)

Hickey as a 6th/7th

Poulin/stop gap FA (a la Theodore)
DP/Poulin

Clear needs;
- at least one top 2 defenseman (Streit is slowly declining)
- possibly two top 6 wingers (Nino, Strome, Okposo, Grabner, Bailey, Nielsen as trade bait)
- 3rd line wingers (maybe some combination of the aforementioned trade bait can find chemistry and work)
- good/reliable 4th line center.

Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan are at least another 2-3 years away. Nelson, Strome and Niederreiter should be ready to contribute next year.

Pieces that could be had for/should be shopped around for an improvement on this team;

- Okposo
- Grabner
- Nielsen
- Visnovsky
- Streit
- Nabakov
- Boyes
- Bailey
- Reasoner

Have a way at it...
Petrov, Kabanov ? Petrov may never come over but dude has skill and Kabanov has top 6 potential for sure.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
okposo for clutterbuck

streit and reasoner for whitney and sutton
No need for Whitney. He can't skate anymore sadly. Can still pass amazingly but just ask Oilers fans, skating wise he's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
Petrov, Kabanov ? Petrov may never come over but dude has skill and Kabanov has top 6 potential for sure.
Petrov is not in the plans (I assume he won't come over anytime soon). As for Kabanov, either call him up or trade him. Can't waste an asset by leaving it lying around.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
Not to be negative, but I don't think Kabanov has ever shown anything suggesting he has top 6 potential. He has virtually ZERO goal scoring ability. My guess, career minor leaguer/KHL player, MAYBE with a taste or two of the NHL. And this is coming from a HUGE Kabanov fan, but I just don't see anything there.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Try to trade Streit, Vis, KO and Boyes at the deadline for whatever you can get

I'd looove Ryan Clowe. This team has to get tougher. KO and Vis for Clowe? Maybe?

Re-sign Nabby for 1 more year if you can get him on the cheap. If not, trade him too and try to sign a decent FA goalie in July. Backstrom?

Finish the season, hope to win the lottery, and come back with this line-up in October...

Moulson - JT - Strome
Clowe - Nelson - NINO
Bailey - Nielsen - Grabner
Ullstrom - Cizikas - Martin

Jones - Hamonic
Macdonald - Strait
Hickey - Carkner
Dehaan/Donovan

Nabokov/Poulin/Nilson

Old
02-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
I'd looove Ryan Clowe. This team has to get tougher. KO and Vis for Clowe? Maybe?
Wow, that's brutal. Isn't Clowe an impending UFA?

Old
02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
kasper11

Quote:
No need for Whitney. He can't skate anymore sadly. Can still pass amazingly but just ask Oilers fans, skating wise he's done.
Not to mention Whitney is another UFA. I would rather get a pick for Streit.

Quote:
Petrov is not in the plans (I assume he won't come over anytime soon). As for Kabanov, either call him up or trade him. Can't waste an asset by leaving it lying around.
Huh? The dude has 9 games at the AHL level under his belt. Why does he need to come up now? How about making prospects earn it first?

Old
02-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Wow, that's brutal. Isn't Clowe an impending UFA?
Just checked cap-geek. You're right. Clowe will be a UFA in July.

I don't think it's brutal as long as we can sign him. We'd lose KO who sucks and Vis who is 36 and doesnt wanna play in NOrth America anymore anyway. Big deal.

San Jose gets a solid offensive Dman for a playoff run and KO's movie critiques

Trade for him and sign him. 3yr deal. Clowe's exactly what we need. A veteran leader w/ a set of balls who can still play.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:14 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
If the Isles lose Streit, Vis, Nabby, Boyes, etc before next season, they're going to have to make up for their salaries one way or the other just to reach the floor, which they have to do. We could be talking about $15 million, and some of their replacements will be on ELCs. Hamonic and Bailey contracts are not going to be that huge. So like it or not, I think Wang is going to have to get some kind of quality player in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The cap ceiling is going down significantly next season. I'm not sure if the floor is as well, but I assume it will be.
I read it will be 15 or 16 million below the cap each year.

Yes they will make up salary lost somehow, but how is that worthy of praise. It is like feeding your kids, you have to do it and don't deserve any special praise for it. It is if they actually spend more than the minimum by a bit. That would change perceptions. They will probably add the same money they lose and say 'look, we added to the payroll when really they didn't, but don't tell that to the apologists. They will argue until they are blue in the face that 2+2 is greater than 4.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:18 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
Travis can flex all he wants, not even i care what he wants. Should we ask reinhart's opinion too?

Jt is also just a player under contract. This isnt one if those stupid hollywood sports movies, its a profit seeking fanchise.
You may not care, but the entire hockey realm would take notice and no one outside of us would blame them. If Wang has even a hint of shame he would care too.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:45 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

We really need to find a proven goalie during the offseason. Nabby hasn't been good this year, and I dont think Poulin or Nilsson will be ready to start 60+ games. If we signed Backstrom this offseason I think our team looks much improved.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:42 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
We really need to find a proven goalie during the offseason. Nabby hasn't been good this year, and I dont think Poulin or Nilsson will be ready to start 60+ games. If we signed Backstrom this offseason I think our team looks much improved.
I'd venture to say, Nabby hasn't been very good since 4 or 5 games prior to last season's trade deadline. He's been average ever since. With this defense, that's not very shocking, but where he was winning games for us last season, he's losing them this year. He has stolen a few of our wins, but has looked shaky in some of them as well. I think it would be a huge mistake signing him for another year, I think he's pretty much done. Would make a nice backup for a contender, or a starter for a desperate contender. Bottom line, I think we will be lucky to get a 3rd for Nabby, unless he is in a package deal.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
I don't think it's brutal as long as we can sign him. We'd lose KO who sucks and Vis who is 36 and doesnt wanna play in NOrth America anymore anyway. Big deal.
Just sign him in July then (although I doubt that's gonna happen since he'll have his fair share of suitors). You can use those players to get an asset that you have control over for a few years.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:56 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
You haven't seen Heatley play lately have you....

He's a shell of his former self. Skating has gotten worse and he just camps out in front of the net waiting for a rebound.
I think as of last week he was demoted off the top line so for Minnesota to dump that salary with the cap going down they might actually want a player back getting paid much less and younger. Actually i don't think it's that crazy of a idea at all for Okposo and again i'm nut sure many teams want to take that much salary for a guy who is no longer on a current top line. However the cap friendly hit to Wang is enticing and we can consider Heatley, Visnovsky 2.0 in terms of getting a player with a higher cap hit with a actual lower salary. As i'm typing this i see Wang telling snow right now "hey call up Minnesota and see if they will pay 2 mil of his salary we only pay him 4mil and we still get the 7.5 hit". Such a disgrace to think this is how our owner most likely thinks

P.S. maybe after Wang sells the team he writes a book "Salary cap circumvention for dummies"

Last edited by MattMartin: 02-12-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 10:35 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Heatley is a rich mans Matt Moulson, no thanks.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:53 PM
islandermaniac

heatley is brutal. people complain about all islander forwards not named john tavares. heatley would be whipping boy number 1. please, watch him play. he does NOTHING! he couldn't even bother to show up last night to play in front of family and friends and calgary. his decline has been massive and rapid.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:56 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Heatley is a rich mans Matt Moulson, no thanks.
actually, moulson can still put up points in the nhl whereas heatley's production is free falling.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:49 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
heatley is brutal. people complain about all islander forwards not named john tavares. heatley would be whipping boy number 1. please, watch him play. he does NOTHING! he couldn't even bother to show up last night to play in front of family and friends and calgary. his decline has been massive and rapid.
Heatley is the new Cheechoo or Gomez - he is awful now.

I'd prefer Tim Connolly!!

Old
02-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'd prefer Tim Connolly!!
The same Tim Connolly that every team in the NHL passed on and is tearing up the AHL at a .5 pt per game pace?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:14 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

I can't see them making any moves now. It would seem a desperation move. You can't trade from a point of disadvantage (losing 5 in a row).

I also don't see them making a trade when they have enough top shelf prospects in Bridgeport that could provide the boost we need without having to give up anything. How about giving Nino or Brock Nelson a shot first...

Old
02-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Zbynek

What would the Islanders want for Kyle Okposo if the Penguins came calling? We have a plethora of bluechip D-prospects that might be of interest...

Old
02-13-2013, 06:38 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
What would the Islanders want for Kyle Okposo if the Penguins came calling? We have a plethora of bluechip D-prospects that might be of interest...
Why should we trade for them when we can just wait until they go on waivers.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:51 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I read it will be 15 or 16 million below the cap each year.

Yes they will make up salary lost somehow, but how is that worthy of praise. It is like feeding your kids, you have to do it and don't deserve any special praise for it. It is if they actually spend more than the minimum by a bit. That would change perceptions. They will probably add the same money they lose and say 'look, we added to the payroll when really they didn't, but don't tell that to the apologists. They will argue until they are blue in the face that 2+2 is greater than 4.
Not sure what you're talking about. Posters were discussing possible moves and you said there wouldn't be any, right? Now you're acknowledging there might be moves but say it's not worthy of praise? And you add a shakehead? Yeesh. The vast majority of posters on this board are realists and are just as frustrated as you. So get off the koolaid/apologist high horse.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:08 AM
IslandersFan17

Trade Brock Nelson and Nino to the Islanders... Wait thats not a trade but something the Islanders without a doubt should consider.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:52 AM
por2gues

What about a deal for O'Reily? Always thought that we don't have a legit 2nd line C. Frans I love to death but truth be told not a 2nd line C. 3rd at best. As for who? Would anyone be upset at seeing Okposo go? Nino would instantly be his replacement.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:56 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
You may not care, but the entire hockey realm would take notice and no one outside of us would blame them. If Wang has even a hint of shame he would care too.
Unless wang is delusional he knows how his club is viewed. Obviously he doesnt care enough to invest more money.

Closed Thread