HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is it safe to say that the Cup winner will be from the WC?

Old
02-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

vCash: 500
Ahh much like the Penguins last year before the playoffs, and the Rangers before this season started. I love when we figure out who's going to win the cup before it happens, I don't have to watch the games and it makes betting on them that much easier!

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:28 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Defence.

Markov is helluva underrated around here. Probably the most underrated star player on this board.

The D is very solid;

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Emelin
Diaz
Bouillon
Kaberle
Weber

Plus Price.

They can get offence from Plekanec, Gionta, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Cole, Desharnais, Bourque, Gallagher and Eller.

I'm not saying like some other than they can win the East. But Habs won the East Conference a few years ago and I prefer our roster right now than the one who won it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
- Healthy Markov
- Healthy Bourque
- Healthy Gionta
- Price is better than last year
- Prust and Bouillon are two great new Habs
- Galchenyuk is a top 5 2013 rookie
- Gallagher is a top 10 2013 rookie
- Emelin and Diaz play better

The only safe thing to say is that the Habs will be this year Stanley Cup winner.

Ça sent la coupe !
You guys make very good points, and it's not that I don't think they are going to make the playoffs, because I think they will, but to all of a sudden become cup favourites like the OP said seemed like a stretch to me. You guys usually do make noise when you make it in though, but I see you guys of more of an underdog and it baffles me how NYR was a cup fav for most but now are not in the discussion.

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:32 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Vegas only gives the west about a 52% shot at winning the cup according to http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/. (Well technically they give the West a 75% chance and the East a 69% chance ... that's why Vegas always wins). You can go to Vegas an make a lot of money if you are 100% certain a western team will win.
I find it hard to believe people who jump to these kinds of conclusions would have a lot of money to wager in the first place. Vegas seems pretty accurate with the 52% right now.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Punkeater

Don't want to stir some **** here but people saying Montreal won't make the playoffs should also think that it's a 48 games seasons. So being 6-2 in a 48 games schedule is more significative than on a 82 games schedule...

Of course they could miss it too. Don't forget that long time playoff teams like Philly or Washington are nowhere near to making playoff this year unless a big turnover but it has to happen RIGHT NOW. A long losing stretch will get you out of the playoff picture more faster than you think. Same with a long winning stretch.

Now do they have the firepower to go far if they makes the playoffs (Habs). We'll see... Montreal always tends to do well comes playoffs time but it's still a long way to go and it will take a lot more of wins but they're having a good start and they placed themselves in a good position.

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
youre not allowed to talk about the canooks on the main forums
Apparently the ducks and canucks dont exist.

Getz2perry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:27 AM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
You take your common sense and you leave right now, there's no place for that here.
Ok then. West iz way better then the Eest cuz Crosbys a loser

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
Ducks are a very nice early surprise...I think we knew the Canucks were likely going to be ok but the Ducks are looking good...at least early on.

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:34 AM
canuck4life16

clearly Canucks is the underdog

Last edited by canuck4life16: 02-06-2013 at 12:42 AM.
canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:52 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
Nucks are missing one of their top players, and the Ducks are gonna trade their 2 top players....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:54 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
These days, the league has about as much parity as a Weird Al album.

You listen to those CD's, and there's not much difference between the good songs and the bad songs. That's how the NHL looks right now IMO. There aren't really any bad teams any more, and the one's that are, are just a top pick or two away from joining the pack. So basically it's wide open and the team that wins the SC might not even be one of the top teams atm.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:58 AM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Just a few games into the season and all games being within the conference make it impossible to tell.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:01 AM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

Wayyyyyyyyyyy too early.

And I really don't think you can say the West is a sure thing. I'd like to see how each of these teams are playing right before the playoffs start. Teams will the hottest goalies will go far, just like last season. There's still rusty hockey being played out there by the teams you mentioned (probably because of the lockout). I'd wait at least a month to see how it goes.

ItsMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Smasher

Who would have bet money on a Kings cup win last year?

Not very safe.

Smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:12 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

no any team can get hot at any given time to make this proclamation is a little out there

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Leo Getz

Didn't take long for the annual western conference > eastern conference thread

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:33 AM
stlblues9

Some people in this thread are absolutely ridiculous. Claiming St. Louis are playoff chokers? What? They're a young team and have made the playoffs once with this core (not counting 2009 because it was a fluke) and they made it to the second round. Eventually getting knocked out by a team who steamrolled everyone. How is that choking? How are they called playoff chokers from that one series? Get real.

As for their goal tending, they win the Jennings trophy but some of you completely discount that and go by the first 9 games of this season? HFboards at it's finest.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Nolanitis

Plan and simple, nope. When there are no ways to actually see which side is better it is impossible to say.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:57 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Ottawa Senators say hi.

We're without our #1 centre and are putting all manner of teams away.
4-3 Buffalo tonight, 5-1 Montreal, held Pitts to one regulation goal, Anderson has rarely allowed more than one goal, tonight being am abberation (lucky bounce). Rookies excelling with two way play.

East is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open and I"M LOVIN IT!!
This is a very true statement. Though a few teams are off to slow starts, the Penguins, Bruins, Devils, Senators, Canadiens, Rangers, Flyers, Hurricanes, Lightning, and Sabres all have what it takes to make the playoffs and go on a run.

Through 3 pages of this thread I'm surprised at the lack of mention of of the defending EC champions who are 5-1-3.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:01 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
Hawks
Sharks
Blues

All looking strong overall. Can't count out the Kings either. Meanwhile the East looks totally random. Heck, even the last place Habs from last season look like they can win it. Something looks off with the Pens and Rangers (goaltending/D?). Tampa has been mulling teams but let's see come playoff time. Bruins seem well-rounded but I'm not sold on Rask carrying the load as of yet. Still early but let's see...
It is way too early to say anything like that. 10 games just isn't enough to decide much of anything.

We can look at the teams and guess and the teams you picked would be good guesses, but I would guess that Boston, NYR, and Pittsburgh all deserve to be in there as well.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Atren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smasher View Post
Who would have bet money on a Kings cup win last year?

Not very safe.
Before last season began majority considered them contenders, midway not many and at end if they made to playoffs they were again contenders. But yeah, agree on the thought behind the post.

Also remember at end it is 1 east team against 1 west team at SCF, it does not matter even if theoretically one side has stronger teams than other.

This year it is even harder to make comparisons as earliest meeting west and east will have will be at the SCF.

Atren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:23 AM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDOMH3RO View Post
It's not safe to ever say anything about the outcome of the playoffs.
This.

But since the beginning of the season, there's a kind of strange smell in the city of Montreal... the kind of smell we haven't smelled in a very long time... I now come to realize: it's the cup. Yup.

Sorry 29 other teams, better luck next year.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Safety not Guaranteed.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:33 AM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Actually given that over the past five years, the cup has gone west, east, west, east, west, the probability is higher that the pattern continues that trend than the trend changing.

On the other hand, prior to that it was not like that. On the other, other hand, I would venture to say that the east has a 50% chance of winning the cup whereas the west has a 50% chance of winning the cup.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
No Team Needed

It's safe to say that there's a 50 per cent chance the Stanley Cup winner will be from the Western Conference.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CamFan81
Derp

i would of thought that the Van / Bos series would of watered down this argument.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote