HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Injury to Miikka Kiprusoff?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

vCash: 500
Well they aren't very good to begin with and in desperate need of more younger talent. If they do tank atleast it's only a 48 game season. A value tank.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Abbotsford Heat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Arent the flames tandem in the AHL doing very well, is one of the good for 4-5 nhl games?
They are arguably the 2 best goaltenders in the AHL this year. They rank 1st & 2nd in GAA and 2nd & 4th in SV% (#3 is Holtby who is now with Washington).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
Well if Kipper is out for too long and they do tank it is good news really. It's only a 48 instead of suffering for 82 games. A value tank.
Is it really a "tank" if caused by injury?

Abbotsford Heat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiCounter View Post
Oh wow TSN said that? Well that changes everything.
Well unlike Flame fans, they are a little bit more objective, no?

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:36 AM
DBU
Bruinwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
Wow...good for Calgary...without Kipper, they just might be in the running for Jones this year.....
Aww, I missed you. I almost forgot that you came dragging your fists into every Flames thread just to crap all over the team.

Kipper will (hopefully) not be out for very long. He managed to get through two periods today without any distress so I really can't see why he'd be out for a prolonged period.

On the other hand, Irving looked good against the Wings.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:00 AM
JuniorNelson

Calgary should seriously blow it up. Deal everybody with a contract and start over. It's really unfortunate that Feaster is in charge at this time.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Nash

As a Canucks fan I'm supposed to hate Calgary and mock them, but some people here are seriously underating this team. They just got back 2/3 of their second line. Iginla, Tanguay and Glencross have been creating plenty of scoring chances, but have been very snake bitten. This Calgary team is much better than the projected 14th in the west finish. Hartley will mold this team into at least one that is capable to push for a playoff berth. For Flames fans sake, I hope Kipper is not out long.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:35 AM
NightBlazer

vCash: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
As a Canucks fan I'm supposed to hate Calgary and mock them, but some people here are seriously underating this team. They just got back 2/3 of their second line. Iginla, Tanguay and Glencross have been creating plenty of scoring chances, but have been very snake bitten. This Calgary team is much better than the projected 14th in the west finish. Hartley will mold this team into at least one that is capable to push for a playoff berth. For Flames fans sake, I hope Kipper is not out long.
Not to mention, all 3 free agent signings have been stellar so far, even after the signings were mocked in the offseason. That just goes to show that it's possible to take steps forward without having to "blow it up" and draft in the top ten.

NightBlazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:45 AM
Iceonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
9th in the west.

Calgary has always been a good team. But there isn't enough there that will take them into the playoffs.

They barely beat Edmonton, and they were playing terribly.

I just hope that for once, they decide to sell instead of buy at the deadline...

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
9th in the west.

Calgary has always been a good team. But there isn't enough there that will take them into the playoffs.

I just hope that for once, they decide to sell instead of buy at the deadline...
Barely beat Edmonton? They had a 4-2 lead until there was 2 seconds left and the Oilers were only scored the 2 goals before then because the Flames have been struggling on the PK. Anyone that watched that game saw the Flames dominate of 90% of the game and the Oilers score a very late goal to make it look respectable.

The Flames have been much better than their record indicates. They had Chicago steal a point in a game they utterly dominated,they lost to Colorado because of a 5 minute lapse. They were good against the Canucks the entire game but couldn't squeak one out, they lost to the Ducks because of a bad first 11 minutes that saw them get down 3-0 before coming back to tie the game and eventually fall by 1. The only game they really weren't in was against San Jose.

And all of that was without Iginla, Cammalleri or Kiprusoff playing very well and of course playing without 2/3 of their second line for the first 3 games and learning a new system.

The team has gotten better every game so far and if Kiprusoff is not out long term there is no reason to think they won't continue to play well since the system Hartley has them playing has been perfect for the free agent additions as well as reviving 2 players who's careers almost died under Brent Sutter.

The biggest change this team made was behind the bench and just ask what the Kings and Blues what a new coach can do for a team.

Last edited by Abbotsford Heat: 02-06-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old
02-06-2013, 02:32 AM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

vCash: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Is it really a "tank" if caused by injury?
As long as it's not your own team, every team that misses the playoffs is tanking. Usually a couple teams make the playoffs were trying to tank, but didn't tank well enough.

JSmith81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzinSmith View Post
As long as it's not your own team, every team that misses the playoffs is tanking. Usually a couple teams make the playoffs were trying to tank, but didn't tank well enough.
I guess I am not one of those simple minded fans. The only tanks I remember are the Pens for Lemieux, Sens for Daigle, Caps in the year they sold off everyone (Ovie draft?). Other teams have been guilty of not trying to improve their club after hitting rock bottom (the Oilers the last 2 seasons for example), but they never tanked to get there.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Iceonfire

Quote:
Barely beat Edmonton? They had a 4-2 lead until there was 2 seconds left and the Oilers were only scored the 2 goals before then because the Flames have been struggling on the PK. Anyone that watched that game saw the Flames dominate of 90% of the game and the Oilers score a very late goal to make it look respectable.

The Flames have been much better than their record indicates. They had Chicago steal a point in a game they utterly dominated,they lost to Colorado because of a 5 minute lapse. They were good against the Canucks the entire game but couldn't squeak one out, they lost to the Ducks because of a bad first 11 minutes that saw them get down 3-0 before coming back to tie the game and eventually fall by 1. The only game they really weren't in was against San Jose.

And all of that was without Iginla, Cammalleri or Kiprusoff playing very well and of course playing without 2/3 of their second line for the first 3 games and learning a new system.

The team has gotten better every game so far and if Kiprusoff is not out long term there is no reason to think they won't continue to play well since the system Hartley has them playing has been perfect for the free agent additions as well as reviving 2 players who's careers almost died under Brent Sutter.

The biggest change this team made was behind the bench and just ask what the Kings and Blues what a new coach can do for a team.
So they dominated 90% of the game but it still almost went to OT?

My point exactly. And that Backlund goal should have been disallowed.

That hurt the Oiler's morale and it was obvious.

The only 2 teams Calgary has beaten this year are the offense starved Oilers and the injury riddled Wings.

Look at it this way, even if the Flames are a bubble team. At least they have a shot at the 1st overall without having to hit rock bottom.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:57 AM
premadonna

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Calgary should seriously blow it up. Deal everybody with a contract and start over. It's really unfortunate that Feaster is in charge at this time.
I think it's the owners who aren't willing to start a full out rebuild, not the GM.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:13 AM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Irving has looked solid so far, hasn't had to make a spectacular save but has only gotten out of position once that I have noticed and he recovered quickly.
You're talking about the 6 shots he faced tonight? Or the 3.72 GAA, .871 save % from his AHL time this season?

Just wondering if you watched the games he played in the AHL... I watched 2... yikes...

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
good news for our (their) second round pick

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:05 AM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
You're talking about the 6 shots he faced tonight? Or the 3.72 GAA, .871 save % from his AHL time this season?

Just wondering if you watched the games he played in the AHL... I watched 2... yikes...
I have watched almost every Heat game over the past few years. I was talking about tonight. His time in the AHL to me is irrelevant since quite frankly he wasn't there to play. He was only signed to an ATO so he could work with a goaltending coach during the lockout.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:08 AM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
So they dominated 90% of the game but it still almost went to OT?

My point exactly. And that Backlund goal should have been disallowed.

That hurt the Oiler's morale and it was obvious.

The only 2 teams Calgary has beaten this year are the offense starved Oilers and the injury riddled Wings.

Look at it this way, even if the Flames are a bubble team. At least they have a shot at the 1st overall without having to hit rock bottom.
It didn't "almost go to overtime" it was a 2 goal lead until there were 2 seconds left. But I m sure you refer to a 4-1 game with 2 empty netters as a blowout as well.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:32 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
No, 1 year left after this year.
Yeah, but is he going to play last year or retire?

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:58 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Yeah, but is he going to play last year or retire?
I could see him retiring because the real money payout from the last year is pretty low - much lower than the cap hit.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:27 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
Wow...good for Calgary...without Kipper, they just might be in the running for Jones this year.....
Flames can have MacKinnon, leave Jones for the Wings.

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:09 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
I guess I am not one of those simple minded fans. The only tanks I remember are the Pens for Lemieux, Sens for Daigle, Caps in the year they sold off everyone (Ovie draft?). Other teams have been guilty of not trying to improve their club after hitting rock bottom (the Oilers the last 2 seasons for example), but they never tanked to get there.
Quebec from 1988 -1992.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Arent the flames tandem in the AHL doing very well, is one of the good for 4-5 nhl games?
Yeah, but neither are signed to an NHL deal, both have AHL contracts. So we'd have to use up a contract spot to sign one of them.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:08 AM
madmike77

Well it's not like Kiprusoff and his .860 save percentage was carrying the team this year.

Now they can see what Irving has. He has looked good in the AHL at times. Time to find out if his recent issues were a lack of motivation after several years at the same level or something more.

They do need to sign some kind of backup though if Kiprusoff is going to miss time.

If they don't want to burn a contract slot Brossoit wouldn't be a bad choice for 5 games - but it would annoy the Oil Kings and may not be great for his long-term development. If they do opt to use a contract slot then it will be Taylor or Brust I would guess.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Do stick boys have contacts? If so, trade their *****.

We needed Ed Belfour, and we needed him yesterday. I am sick and tired of people saying the Flames need more youth. How many Nobel Prize winners have been born after 1975? How many heads-of-state? We need to get older and more refined. I would like to lose with a little bit of dignity, not watching players I-pading and Angry Birding and Facebooking their way to mediocrity.

Give me old money Belfour and a bunch of scotch drinkers. **** the young, they have contributed nothing to society.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
pucky

Quote:
9th in the west.

I don't know why so many people overrate the Flames. Every time I see them on HNIC or watch 'em online, I'm not impressed. They have some good players but Feaster has sat on veterans like the Leafs always do and miss out on top draft pick players. Iginla is still there so I guess they're going to do it again.

Iginla looked 'plain' on the penalty shot. I thought that was one of the worst Penalty shots a supposed superstar has taken in a while. Was he trying to score?

Btw, I do like the Flames. I want them to do well so that's why I'm critical. I am curious why Flames fans aren't as cynical and critical.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote