HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hating Night In Canada

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2013, 09:24 PM
  #26
Brymas McCaberle
Registered User
 
Brymas McCaberle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Constantly being negative. All he focused on was how terrible the Leafs were. Similar to Bill Waters. No one wants to listen to those two guys piss on the Leafs constantly.
According to Healy, there's nothing wrong with "calling it like it is"

Brymas McCaberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:09 AM
  #27
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Constantly being negative. All he focused on was how terrible the Leafs were. Similar to Bill Waters. No one wants to listen to those two guys piss on the Leafs constantly.
There was also a pretty heated exchange between him and readers/viewers over a particularly scathing fan-bashing article he wrote shortly before getting canned.

Here, I see this as nothing but Berger trying to be on the same side of those fans. I'm not buying it. **** Berger. I'll still give him **** if I ever happen to meet him in real life. We know he wouldn't dare post here, even though we all know he's reading.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:03 AM
  #28
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
”For the record, Healy and Leafs part-owner – Larry Tanenbaum – have long maintained a cordial relationship and they spoke casually about the GM’s position in 2003. At no point was Healy formally interviewed by Richard Peddie, then the CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment."

I also believe he was briefly mentioned around JFJ's departure as a potential GM.



Does anyone remember what Healy's starting point to fixing the Leafs was?

It was centered around bringing in Andreas Lilja, as the primer to build around and be the fix.

Can you imagine how much different? And probably worse...the Leafs would look today had SqHEALS taken the GM job of the team?

As for Berger, his articles are also not very informative, just like Healy's comments. They just point out the obvious that we already know. Hence the bro-manctic relationship they have with each other.

The advent of the internet has made both of these two irrelevant. They're just trying to stay relevant. Berger's article was a swipe at Leafs fans, and red carpet for HNIC and Healy, as Gods.

And while I don't really mind Hughson, and Simpson also doesn't present anything other than the obvious as the color commentator, never really liked Healy's consistent anti-Leafs bias.

He reminds me a lot of Tony Kornheiser from ESPN who consistently hates on the Broncos.


Last edited by Pierre Gotye: 02-06-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
  #29
hullsy47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
”For the record, Healy and Leafs part-owner – Larry Tanenbaum – have long maintained a cordial relationship and they spoke casually about the GM’s position in 2003. At no point was Healy formally interviewed by Richard Peddie, then the CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment."

I also believe he was briefly mentioned around JFJ's departure as a potential GM.



Does anyone remember what Healy's starting point to fixing the Leafs was?

It was centered around bringing in Andreas Lilja, as the primer to build around and be the fix.

Can you imagine how much different? And probably worse...the Leafs would look today had SqHEALS taken the GM job of the team?

As for Berger, his articles are also not very informative, just like Healy's comments. They just point out the obvious that we already know. Hence the bro-manctic relationship they have with each other.

The advent of the internet has made both of these two irrelevant. They're just trying to stay relevant. Berger's article was a swipe at Leafs fans, and red carpet for HNIC and Healy.
healy has always called it like it is ....hes respected because he doesnt sugar coat crap
i think all these guys who are forced to do leafs games are tired of crappy hockey ..u think they just pick on the leafs ,they pick apart 8-9 years of mediocrity ,lets face it ,everybody in leafland is dissapointed in the job brian burke did ....even if this team overachieves .....8th place is the prize ,,,,they cal it like we all wanna call it .....cept once u throw in the towel ,well being a leafs fan loses its lustre .....but the rest of the hockey world ,seesthe leafs as one of most dysfuctional organizations in all sports .....cept at making money

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:21 AM
  #30
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
I wonder how often some of these ink stained wretches and talking heads visit this board.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:26 AM
  #31
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats
 
Kyle Doobas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,665
vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
healy has always called it like it is ....hes respected because he doesnt sugar coat crap
i think all these guys who are forced to do leafs games are tired of crappy hockey ..u think they just pick on the leafs ,they pick apart 8-9 years of mediocrity ,lets face it ,everybody in leafland is dissapointed in the job brian burke did ....even if this team overachieves .....8th place is the prize ,,,,they cal it like we all wanna call it .....cept once u throw in the towel ,well being a leafs fan loses its lustre .....but the rest of the hockey world ,seesthe leafs as one of most dysfuctional organizations in all sports .....cept at making money
I usually watch the American broadcasts on Gamcenter, where they're under no obligation to 'sugarcoat' things for Leafs fans, and they seem to do a fine job calling the game without pontificating about how bad the Leafs are like it's the only thing keeping their little black hearts beating.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:32 AM
  #32
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
healy has always called it like it is ....hes respected because he doesnt sugar coat crap
i think all these guys who are forced to do leafs games are tired of crappy hockey ..u think they just pick on the leafs ,they pick apart 8-9 years of mediocrity ,lets face it ,everybody in leafland is dissapointed in the job brian burke did ....even if this team overachieves .....8th place is the prize ,,,,they cal it like we all wanna call it .....cept once u throw in the towel ,well being a leafs fan loses its lustre .....but the rest of the hockey world ,seesthe leafs as one of most dysfuctional organizations in all sports .....cept at making money

Brian Burke took over a team in shambles that had huge holes everywhere, with very little, if any worthwhile assets either in it's prospect system or with the big club.

He did what had to be done, which was purge the lineup and start new. His record was a mix of hits and misses, just like all GM's are, except maybe a couple of people. But because he's in the largest media market his moves were always under intense scrutiny.

I give Burke credit from building the team from the ground up. I don't fault him for not over-paying for a goaltender or #1 center, because there weren't a lot of feasible options available.

Also, the Kessel trade, is Burke's biggest supposedly 'miss.' trade. But I have doubts that Seguin would do well in this situation, and the Leafs may not have drafted Hamilton, who at this point is still all hype and unproven as an NHLer.

Burke deserves more credit than he receives. He is an easy target because of his over promises, and under-deliveries.

Just like JFJ deserves more credit than he receives.

Personally, I blame the impatience of ownership on both accounts.

And I seriously doubt a guy who spent the majority of his career riding on the pine, like Healy could have done better.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:34 AM
  #33
AddMan3001
Don't poke the bear!
 
AddMan3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brymas McCaberle View Post
According to Healy, there's nothing wrong with "calling it like it is"
That's the part that bugs me. So according to Healy, the Leafs have played horrible every game this year? at all times? They've played .500 hockey, so there's plenty of good & bad things going on with the team at the moment. Yet Healy not only seems to ignore the positives, but he dwells on the negatives. A fan of a hockey team playing .500 hockey shouldn't have to watch the opposition's feed to avoid non-stop annoying criticisms.

Mind you, I will say that the Leafs have played 2 of their worst games on Saturday nights, so it does kind of skew things a bit.

AddMan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:40 AM
  #34
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,122
vCash: 500
Typical sports media, anyone says something bad about one of them, they have another one jumping to their defense.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:45 AM
  #35
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddMan3001 View Post
That's the part that bugs me. So according to Healy, the Leafs have played horrible every game this year? at all times? They've played .500 hockey, so there's plenty of good & bad things going on with the team at the moment. Yet Healy not only seems to ignore the positives, but he dwells on the negatives. A fan of a hockey team playing .500 hockey shouldn't have to watch the opposition's feed to avoid non-stop annoying criticisms.

Mind you, I will say that the Leafs have played 2 of their worst games on Saturday nights, so it does kind of skew things a bit.
Calling it like it is: Glenn Healy was a terrible backup as an NHL goaltender.

NHL TOTALS GP437 W166 L190 T47 OT10 1,361GA 12,041SA .887SV% 3.37GAA 24,254MIN

And his playoff track record is even worse:

NHL TOTALS 37GP 13W 15L 0T 108GA 904SA .880SV% 3.36GAA 1,928MIN

So yes, that makes him an expert at hockey. What he should do is go back to showing off sucking on his own bagpipes:

which he does much better at than he does at hockey either as a player

(Oops, sorry I don't know how to help a team win)
but that makes my analyst opinion far more qualified than everyone else.

And for the record, I'd much rather deal with McGuire between the benches anyday, anygame, than listen to sqHEALS tooting on his own horn.

BTW: Why did the Leafs dump both Potvin and Couisneau and decide to keep this guy? Seems this guy has always had a great track record as far as hurting the Leafs goes.


Last edited by Pierre Gotye: 02-06-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:18 AM
  #36
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,880
vCash: 50
Someones HFB post made it on the NEWS?!

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:23 AM
  #37
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,880
vCash: 50
I love how he's trying to troll by bringing up the Kessel deal, and bringing up the no playoffs thing for two lockouts.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:37 AM
  #38
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.
 
Mystifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: YYT
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 500
I guess it is safe to say that our board can apparently pass for ****** news reporting. Congrats to all of us who have contributed. I guess Berger can now give us our royalties for using our ideas.

Mystifo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:49 AM
  #39
Parkdale
Registered User
 
Parkdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
I guess it is safe to say that our board can apparently pass for ****** news reporting. Congrats to all of us who have contributed. I guess Berger can now give us our royalties for using our ideas.
Since we are all anonymous, how likely is it that Howard is one of us. Perhaps he was even quoting himself.....

Parkdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:50 AM
  #40
YearsintheWilderness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Berger is not one of the sheep.

Thus, he enrages sheep.

His articles are well-written and interesting.

Newsflash: writing, any writing, necessarily focuses on conflict.

Unfortunately, line-toeing little sycophants are the wave of the future in sports "journalism."

Keep it up Berger!




YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
  #41
Alazais
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
He is right. Most people in here are rather ridiculous as far as their rose coloured glasses go. It's kind of sad - and the outright hate towards guys like these is quite sad.

I have been quoted by Berger on his Hockeybuzz articles. He's a reasonable writer. When he was fired, some of the articles he wrote were touching and heartfelt.

Alazais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:58 AM
  #42
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
He is right. Most people in here are rather ridiculous as far as their rose coloured glasses go. It's kind of sad - and the outright hate towards guys like these is quite sad.

I have been quoted by Berger on his Hockeybuzz articles. He's a reasonable writer. When he was fired, some of the articles he wrote were touching and heartfelt.
You think most people here wear rose coloured glasses? Based on the PGT or tank threads, or blow it up threads, or trade the weasel threads or ...

There are all sorts of posters here, from everything is A-OK to everything is garbage trade the franchise.

Kind of hard to pigeon hole Leafs' nation, and that's the problem. It is easier (and lazier) to just pick a small segment and focus on that. Stereotyping takes no creativity.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
  #43
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
He is right. Most people in here are rather ridiculous as far as their rose coloured glasses go. It's kind of sad - and the outright hate towards guys like these is quite sad.
No he's not, read some more threads here.

There are lots of posters who are very critical of the team.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
  #44
xyzz
Registered User
 
xyzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 586
vCash: 500
sorry guys, I think Beger nailed it here.. Leafs fans (in general) are a bunch of babies who cant handle the truth.

Since the first lockout, there is no amount of criticism that this team doesn't deserve. It may be tough to hear but its the truth =/

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
  #45
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
Is no one else embarrassed by the inferiority complex this place has during broadcasts? Comments like, "he could at least say something good about us every now and then", or "why are they talking about the other team so much?" make me shake my head. These guys are paid to tell us what they see and think. They're not paid to make us feel better about ourselves while watching a losing product.

Even if you honestly hate a certain broadcast team or person, do we really need to cry about it every fricking game with hate threads and threats to write to CBC/Sportsnet? Don't let someone ruin the sport of hockey for you, learn to let some things slide.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:17 AM
  #46
Alazais
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You think most people here wear rose coloured glasses? Based on the PGT or tank threads, or blow it up threads, or trade the weasel threads or ...

There are all sorts of posters here, from everything is A-OK to everything is garbage trade the franchise.

Kind of hard to pigeon hole Leafs' nation, and that's the problem. It is easier (and lazier) to just pick a small segment and focus on that. Stereotyping takes no creativity.
Sorry, That's fair. My issue, which I didn't articulate very welll (I'm at work) is that most Leaf fans are on both sides of the cliff ready to dive off headlong into their respective misery.


However, as I think about it a little more if they were ready to admit that the Leafs were as terrible as people like Healy and Berger (used to say). Why are they not on his side more, and more upset at the team they watch? They do seem to point out the flaws in the Leafs game.

I also remember the skate tieing thing that the Bruins centre had done before the faceoff circle. It was pretty awesome.


My point here is that people seem to be deflecting their disgust away from the Leafs (the root of the problem) and onto people who have nothing to do with the actual problem, only highlighting and bringing attention to specific malfunctioning cogs within the problem itself.

Alazais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:24 AM
  #47
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
sorry guys, I think Beger nailed it here.. Leafs fans (in general) are a bunch of babies who cant handle the truth.
Nonsense, read this board, most of us know they suck and discuss it ad nauseum. They are just very unprofessional with their approach IMO. It is possible to be critical without being that way.

Howard turns off the comment section on his blog, maybe he's the one who can't handle the truth.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:34 AM
  #48
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
Sorry, That's fair. My issue, which I didn't articulate very welll (I'm at work) is that most Leaf fans are on both sides of the cliff ready to dive off headlong into their respective misery.

However, as I think about it a little more if they were ready to admit that the Leafs were as terrible as people like Healy and Berger (used to say). Why are they not on his side more, and more upset at the team they watch? They do seem to point out the flaws in the Leafs game.

I also remember the skate tieing thing that the Bruins centre had done before the faceoff circle. It was pretty awesome.

My point here is that people seem to be deflecting their disgust away from the Leafs (the root of the problem) and onto people who have nothing to do with the actual problem, only highlighting and bringing attention to specific malfunctioning cogs within the problem itself.
Healy stated why people dislike him. Healy's approach is to focus mostly on the negative. He harps continuously on the negative on purpose. Bruins scored what, 1 goal? They scored 1 goal, but all night long it was the negatives about the Leafs. Bruins scored 1 goal. Bruins came up short most of the night. Complete lack of finish by the Bruins.

Bruins just lack the skill to score. Their forwards were good but now they're mediocre without any compete or drive. One goal scored against a team that hasn't been good enough to make the playoffs throughout and entire CBA. Perhaps they just don't draft well enough, to have such a stone handed group of forwards.

Take Chara away from the Bruins and they're another mediocre team without much depth in the line up.

Bruins another "One and done!"

Negative ...

It was just one game? Leafs record going into the game was 4-3.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
  #49
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,113
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
sorry guys, I think Beger nailed it here.. Leafs fans (in general) are a bunch of babies who cant handle the truth.

Since the first lockout, there is no amount of criticism that this team doesn't deserve. It may be tough to hear but its the truth =/
Got to love how anything can be said lost as you throw up (in general). Please, if people couldn't handle the truth they would have dumped this team years ago.

And there certainly is an amount of criticism that isn't deserved. Mostly the criticism of the fanbase by Berger (that got him canned in the end) and Healy's tragic grudge with the Leafs that he drags into every Saturday night. Leafs could beat anyone 5-0 and he'd still find time through the whole game to harp on any mistake (by only one of the teams).

This was hilarious. Both at how Berger has fallen so low he has to write about HF-Boards, and the silly buddy-buddy thing going on between him and Healy.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:52 AM
  #50
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,856
vCash: 500
Hockey's Future and HFBoards are among the best internet Hockey sites available and as such I'm sure that many people use this site for their own personal enjoyment and reference material. As such HF gets mentioned and referenced on regularity throughout the hockey world.

So it should come as no surprise really as there is a mutual synergy between media and this site as we discuss their articles on regularity, and in turn direct traffic to their sites in return, based on what is written there and here because of the crossover effect.

This thread is a perfect example of that scenario playing out as it often does, particularly in the media frenzy of Toronto.

Howard Berger is wise to use this site as source reference material as it will bring greater attention, and traffic to his articles, while fueling material for conversation on this message board for us to discuss.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.