HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-13-1. "A bunch of donkeys on skates"

View Poll Results: What should the Caps do?
Tank and trade UFA's 1 20.00%
Tank and re-tool 4 80.00%
Trade futures to right the ship 0 0%
Stand pat, hoping they pull it together. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
so, oates is quoated in katie's piece on perruttu that he wants to see him play the right way. "its not about production. its about playing the right way."

after numerous recent losses oates said, that they didnt win, but they played the right way.

now we have it. with boudreau, the caps won. they won a lot, but we saw the umberger like complaint that they played the wrong way. now, here we have oates. calm and level headed instead of bouncy and emotional. he says the caps need to play the right way. playing right is more important than production and more important than winning a given game.

so....is this going to work? play the right way and win enough to make the playoffs and because they play right playoff success with follow?
"Play the right way"

I hope they engrave that on McPhee's parking spot when the new GM arrives to remind him of the fool that he replaced.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Carlson is progressing about how I expected. Flashes of offense, running around on defense. I projected him hitting more, but was wrong. Sarge may pass him on the physicality chart.

Carlson is a fat cat and may have little incentive to give 2 ***** about anything for many years. While he may regret the hadeedness, it probably helped him during the lean years.
I may have to lower my long term expectations of him.

I remember arguing who is or will be better defensively, Carlson or Green. And offensively too. If Wilson is scoring a ton being on a great Plymouth team, maybe Green did the same under Bruce. He is but a 10 goal guy now.
I was thinking about that yesterday as well. I don't know Carlson at all, but he seems completely disinterested out there.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Come on.

You guys all have your heads in the sand.

So many excuses for all of this, its silly. These same players that everyone are now disparaging, were all brought in by the same GM.

It's almost like you all want to pat George on the back for getting rid of his own problems (players)....and now that we are left with this wreck of a team, its still "an ECF calibre squad".

Right. ECF.

Something the Caps havent sniffed in 15 years. But its still ECF calibre. How you people cant see the absurdity of these claims is mind boggling.

There are more apologists on this board than ever.
As Caps fans you have to learn to hide your head in the sand. After all, we try hard but never get the lucky bounces, or (insert whatever excuse of the day it is).

GMing 101....by George McPhee. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Maybe you'll get lucky.

And fans wonder why ownership puts up with this. The fans don't expect greatness, so why should ownership?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I was thinking about that yesterday as well. I don't know Carlson at all, but he seems completely disinterested out there.
Yeah, that can happen after the first big contract. Dont need to earn it, anymore. That seems to happen to a lot of Capitals.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
As Caps fans you have to learn to hide you head in the sand. After all, we try hard but never get the lucky bounces, or (insert whatever excuse of the day it is).
GMing 101....by George McPhee. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Maybe you'll get lucky.

And fans wonder why ownership puts up with this. The fans don't expect greatness, so why should ownership?
Dont forget that the Refs have it out for us.

Hell, I did think that the Tampa series was a LOT of unlucky bounces, and I argued as such.

Problem is, things have steadily rolled away from us....from that low point. If it weren't for that one series win over the Bruins, people would be seeing this a lot more clearly.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
so, oates is quoated in katie's piece on perruttu that he wants to see him play the right way. "its not about production. its about playing the right way."

after numerous recent losses oates said, that they didnt win, but they played the right way.

now we have it. with boudreau, the caps won. they won a lot, but we saw the umberger like complaint that they played the wrong way. now, here we have oates. calm and level headed instead of bouncy and emotional. he says the caps need to play the right way. playing right is more important than production and more important than winning a given game.

so....is this going to work? play the right way and win enough to make the playoffs and because they play right playoff success with follow?
I think you're over-thinking it tex.

They are playing a new system. So Oates wants the players to play within the system. And he probably believes if they play as the system dictates, the wins will start coming. "Playing the right way" as he said it means learning the system.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Thats the point, Millhaus.

You applaud George for getting rid of the very stinking players he brought in. If thats not having it both ways, I dont know what is?
Shouldn't McFail get bonus points for allowing Wideman to walk for nothing? Kinda like Semin...roster/asset mismanagement at its finest.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
RandyHolt
What a Strange Trip

vCash: 740
I thought George looted Calgary for a 6th or 7th for rights to Wides

Dominating

Winning

Old
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Thats the point, Millhaus.

You applaud George for getting rid of the very stinking players he brought in. If thats not having it both ways, I dont know what is?
You are the one slagging McPhee off for letting Wideman go but when Wideman was here you were slagging McPhee off for him not being good enough. Which is it? Should he have kept him or let him go?

I didn't have a problem with letting Wideman go because for what he made he wasn't worth keeping IMO. And acquiring Wideman to begin with made plenty of sense given Green's health at the time of the trade.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
WHICH TEAM IS THE IMPOSTER? !?!?!?!?
They've had 5 years of playing winning hockey.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Wideman cost the Caps a 3rd rounder and a prospect. His rights returned a 5th and a prospect. Even if you thought he was terrible (and he definitely was the second half of the season and into the playoffs), it was a reasonable move to make considering Green's injury troubles.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Wideman cost the Caps a 3rd rounder and a prospect. His rights returned a 5th and a prospect. Even if you thought he was terrible (and he definitely was the second half of the season and into the playoffs), it was a reasonable move to make considering Green's injury troubles.
Prospect doesn't fit in either sense (Hauswirth was borderline even as AHL depth, and Henry was just there so the Flames could shed a contract; he wasn't signed).

Wideman made sense at the time, and they got ~1 full good season out of him. I would have traded him at the deadline last year because I figured they didn't actually need him (and he had started to suck) but it is what it is.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
You are the one slagging McPhee off for letting Wideman go but when Wideman was here you were slagging McPhee off for him not being good enough. Which is it? Should he have kept him or let him go?

I didn't have a problem with letting Wideman go because for what he made he wasn't worth keeping IMO. And acquiring Wideman to begin with made plenty of sense given Green's health at the time of the trade.
I didnt wail on Wideman. I never did.

Schultz yes. All day, every day. Not Wideman. I liked Wideman. I think he was paired with the wrong player (aforementioned Schultz). I also like the Wideman trade...I thought he got him for a song.

I dont think Wideman is worth 5m a year. But he also didnt replace Wideman. He let him go for nothing.

Christ-- I just looked at out D-man starters for tonites game

Green-Alzner
Erskine-Carlson
Schultz-Kundratek

Hamr is sitting. Poti and Orlov are hurt. Erskine in top 4??? He's a 6/7. Kundratek is nice and all, but his play was not expected.

We came into this season unprepared....in all facets. Its GLARING!

Last edited by Ridley Simon: 02-12-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I thought George looted Calgary for a 6th or 7th for rights to Wides

Dominating

Winning
AHL defenseman and a 5th....essentially nothing.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I think you're over-thinking it tex..
i am not over thinking anything. on their way to the president's trophy the caps and boudreau were regularly ripped for not playing the right way even though they win all the time.

now they are sitting on the bottom with a coach saying after almost each recent loss that they are now playing the right way. its just an interesting twist.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Christ-- I just looked at out D-man starters for tonites game

Green-Alzner
Erskine-Carlson
Schultz-Kundratek

Hamr is sitting. Poti and Orlov are hurt. Erskine in top 4??? He's a 6/7. Kundratek is nice and all, but his play was not expected.

We came into this season unprepared....in all facets. Its GLARING!
How many defensemen should they have come into the season with? Counting Kundratek I count 9, of which I believe only 2, Orlov and Kundratek can be sent to Hershey without clearing waivers.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:47 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Erskine has been playing solid hockey. And he's the only one on our team who doesn't embarrass himself when he drops the gloves.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
SDBondra

It's funny how so many people refer to Florida as the bottom of the SE barrel even though they won the division last year. Our division has 5 teams who are all capable of winning the division or finishing last in the division. Not because there is parity - but because they're all inconsistent. The SouthEast is a complete crapshoot again this year. 50 points could do it.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

50 points this season is like 84 in a normal season.

50 points certainly won't do it.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Wideman blew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The words to describe Wideman's performance last spring do not exist.
The words to describe Wideman's performance last last fall are all-star.

So yes, if we are basing all our team evaluations on early regular season games we are in fact pining for Dennis Wideman.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Except it's not really. It's the same percentage, but the actual amount that separates that percentage from whatever percentage is equivalent to 92 points will be like 4 points.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:14 PM
BTCG

Quote:
i am not over thinking anything. on their way to the president's trophy the caps and boudreau were regularly ripped for not playing the right way even though they win all the time.

now they are sitting on the bottom with a coach saying after almost each recent loss that they are now playing the right way. its just an interesting twist.
TX is right-on.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:27 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

just asking. are you advocating they should not try to make the playoffs?

Old
02-12-2013, 03:30 PM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
just asking. are you advocating they should not try to make the playoffs?
If what they are currently doing is trying to make the playoffs they should just continue doing it. And enjoy the lottery pick.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
SDBondra

Well if you look at 8th place in both the East and West and extrapolate the number of points out to a 48 game schedule, currently it's looking like 52 points will be the playoff cutoff. I think it's fair to say that "50 points might do it". When you take into account how inconsistent the SE is, it's completely feasible and not a long shot at all that all 5 teams might end up near 50 points.

Closed Thread