HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-13-1. "A bunch of donkeys on skates"

View Poll Results: What should the Caps do?
Tank and trade UFA's 1 20.00%
Tank and re-tool 4 80.00%
Trade futures to right the ship 0 0%
Stand pat, hoping they pull it together. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
The Caps almost assuredly have to trade a couple of Laich, Brouwer, and Ward if they want to add any legit top-6 NHL talent.

With the $64M cap, they can't afford to have more than one cap hit north of $3M in their bottom 6.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
BobRouse

The team seems so lacking in confidence across the board right now. Even when they play well they lose.

They are capable of pulling off several straight wins to get back into it but not sure how likely that is going to be right now. Its a longshot for this season but I don't expect them to throw in the towel and have a firesale.

Last edited by BobRouse: 12-31-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old
02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The Caps almost assuredly have to trade a couple of Laich, Brouwer, and Ward if they want to add any legit top-6 NHL talent.

With the $64M cap, they can't afford to have more than one cap hit north of $3M in their bottom 6.
Agreed. I'm sure they could find a taker for Laich and put that $4.5M towards more of an offensive threat. He's a good PKer and PP leach, but they should be able to get a decent offensive upgrade and could spead his PK time out over the rest of the lineup.

I like Brouwer well enough, but at $3.67M, I think they could do better.

I'm a hopeless Joel Ward fan and he has the lowest salary of the 3, so I'd prefer to see him stick around.

Taking my own shot at a revamped roster, they could turn that $8M from Laich and Brouwer and some of the money from the expiring Poti/Hamr contracts into 2 good top 6 players and a dedicated PK/bottom 6 guy in the mold of someone like Boyd Gordon. Maybe even go big on someone like Perry. Trying not to overhaul the roster too much, you could have...

Clowe ($4.5) - Backstrom - Perry ($6.5)
Ovechkin - Ribeiro ($5) - Ward
Chimera - Mojo ($1.3) - Forsberg
Hendricks ($1) - Gordon ($1.3) - Beagle
XXX ($0.8)

Alzner ($2.6) - Green
Vet UFA (Scuderi/Redden maybe?) ($2.5) - Carlson
Schultz - Orlov
XXX ($0.8)

Neuvirth ($1.5)
Holtby ($1)

That's a churn of 2 top 6ers, 2 bottom 6ers, and 1 D. I don't like that 3rd line much, but it is what it is. Swap around wingers until you find some chemistry. My dream scenario would include jettisoning Schultz and going cheaper on the bottom pair to maybe upgrade at G, but sadly I don't think that happens.

If they get draft a C who shows he is capable of sticking, you'd probably have to go with a cheaper option than Perry since the cap hit for top 5 picks is in the $3M range.

Having $26.5M tied up between Ovi, Nick, and the Flow Boys is restrictive if they're not bringing the O. That only leaves $38M to spread between the remaining 18/19 spots.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

I'm still of the opinion that Laich and Brouwer are capable top 6 players.

Do the Caps need to upgrade the top 6? yep.

Will they do it thru trade or free agency? I don't hink so.

I think they wait on Forsberg and Kuznetsov personally.

If they do plan on making a huge push this year then their only chance is to make a trade for a goalie IMO. Our young goalies are faltering.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
It absolutely is our #1 problem by far.

We have had decent puck possession and have gone chance for chance with every opponent outside of the first couple games this season.
Seriously, our #1 problem...by far???

I dont think it can rest on them in as much as you are implying. Sure, the Pens Game Holtby looked more like Holey and it took all the air out of the team and they gave up.

But the team is only scoring 2 or 3 goals a game. We havent scored more than 3 in any game and have only done that 3 times out of 7.

Neuvy played just fine against Toronto and I dont put the first goal solely on him. He made some very good saves and those that went in he really didnt have a real chance on. Take back the miscue on the first goal and deflecting it ourselves on the last and he plays a good game.

While it would be awesome if they were playing out of their mind and pitching shutouts, you cannot count on having a winning team when you're scoring an average of around 2 goals per game.

There is far more wrong with this team than just pinning it on the goaltending..."by far."

Old
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Seriously, our #1 problem...by far???

I dont think it can rest on them in as much as you are implying. Sure, the Pens Game Holtby looked more like Holey and it took all the air out of the team and they gave up.

But the team is only scoring 2 or 3 goals a game. We havent scored more than 3 in any game and have only done that 3 times out of 7.

Neuvy played just fine against Toronto and I dont put the first goal solely on him. He made some very good saves and those that went in he really didnt have a real chance on. Take back the miscue on the first goal and deflecting it ourselves on the last and he plays a good game.

While it would be awesome if they were playing out of their mind and pitching shutouts, you cannot count on having a winning team when you're scoring an average of around 2 goals per game.

There is far more wrong with this team than just pinning it on the goaltending..."by far."
There was an article written about it the other day when the metrics were examined that supported what most of us are seeing.

Our goalies let in 1 or 2 soft goals every game it seems. We are constantly in "catch up" mode and when you are doing that the other team clams up and it becomes difficult to produce offense.

Sure there are bad bounces but our team SV % speaks for itself and is not a joke.

Each and everygame we have been outplayed at that position and goalie is the most important position (like a QB in football and Pitcher in baseball) on the team.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I'm not going to nitpick the individual numbers since they're probably in the ballpark, but MacKinnon's cap hit would be $3M higher than what you listed and Forsberg's hit would be almost $1.5M. Using those numbers and assuming 2 spares at league minimum, your roster sits at about $69M. That's going to cost a team a lot of depth.

I'm not going to ask you to put together a new lineup, I just wanted to point out that I don't think the dream team you're imagining is possible. A team isn't going to be able to afford 9 top 6 players and 6 top 4 defensemen, etc. unless a lot of them are on entry level deals or seriously outperform their contracts.
I thought the bonuses in MacKinnon's cap hit would be deferred to next year cap-wise. Isn't that how ELCs work?

In that case, yeah, something around trading Green prob. We could get by without him with a good Orlov based 2nd pairing. I'd probably also step back from Clowe. I think he's a must-have if we were to make a run for Perry or something of that sort since Perry needs to have an enforcer type on his line to be effective. Without top 6 **** disturbers to protect Clowe loses some of his appeal. Perhaps keep Brouwer in his spot, or (my preferred) do Brouwer+ for Kulemin with a mil held back or so.

Obviously putting together a high end team involves people outperforming their contracts and seriously nice pro scouting, but a good GM can meet that challenge.

With the new CBA there's other interesting options, like having Minny hold back some of Seto's salary or trading for a Lydman caliber D instead of signing him (say part of Green's return) and some of their salary held back as well.

Just for ***** and giggles

Kostitsyn Backstrom Setoguchi (3 + 6.7 + 3)
Ovechkin MacKinnon Kulemin (9.5 + 3 + 1.8)
Winnik O'Reilly Forsberg (2.75 + 4.25 + 1.5)
Chimera Beagle Hendricks (1.75 + .9 + 1)

Alzner Carlson (3.9 + 3.9)
Smid Orlov (4.25 + 1)
Lydman Roszival (3.5 + 2.5)
Erskine (1.5)

Holtby
Neuvirth
(3)

That's 62.7. If you replace Erskine with a spare and run a 22 man roster you could probably upgrade Roszival to a 3-4 mil player.

Last edited by Halpysback: 02-07-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I thought the bonuses in MacKinnon's cap hit would be deferred to next year cap-wise. Isn't that how ELCs work?

In that case, yeah, something around trading Green prob. We could get by without him with a good Orlov based 2nd pairing.

Obviously putting together a high end team involves people outperforming their contracts and seriously nice pro scouting, but a good GM can meet that challenge.
They would be temporarily deferred, then they'd have to be earned.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
They would be temporarily deferred, then they'd have to be earned.
Isn't it deferred by one year? I thought it would be 850 next year then the year after that 3+.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:57 PM
jsykes

I'm not saying the goaltending couldnt have been better, but I dont think its the "#1 thing by far." Holtby has looked awful and I'll agree there. Neuvy has looked average at best. But they've received no support at all and I dont agree with the soft goals every game. Defense has been awful and we're not putting the puck in the net with any regularity. Only a couple games have we actually looked like we were "in the game."

Tighten up the D and get the offense going and the goaltending will do what it needs to do without all the pressure that is currently on it because at this point, letting in one goal totally deflates this team and takes them out of a game.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post

In that case, yeah, something around trading Green prob. We could get by without him with a good Orlov based 2nd pairing.

With the new CBA there's other interesting options, like having Minny hold back some of Seto's salary or trading for a Lydman caliber D (say part of Green's return) and some of their salary held back as well.
I'm not positive on how cap hits are handled under the new CBA, but looking at Capgeek it shows the full hit for Yakupov and RNH for this year and the remaining ones of their ELCs. I thought that the cap hit for all the bonuses counted against the cap until they were no longer attainable. (What ever happened to sk8?)

In the case they are deferred (bonus cushion), you're potentially creating a big problem the following year. If the Caps are at the cap and MacKinnon (or whoever) hits a couple of the bigger bonuses, they'd have that dead space on the books the next season a la the Blackhawks and Toews the year they won the Cup. I guess that could be a "cross that bridge when we get there" situation, but I don't see McPhee as one who would put himself in that type of scenario.

I'd put more faith into the option of having a team retain cap space in a trade once one actually goes down. The price of those trades will go up, and it might be more costly than the team would be willing to bear.

I still think the level of team you're envisioning isn't possible. You keep having to rob Peter to pay Paul and that is going to leave you weaker than you would like at differing spots in the lineup.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I'm still of the opinion that Laich and Brouwer are capable top 6 players.

Do the Caps need to upgrade the top 6? yep.

Will they do it thru trade or free agency? I don't hink so.

I think they wait on Forsberg and Kuznetsov personally.

If they do plan on making a huge push this year then their only chance is to make a trade for a goalie IMO. Our young goalies are faltering.
Agree with you on Laich and Brouwer. The problem is, they need to be the complementary guys in the top-6, which means they'd have to add another scorer. That's when the cap space becomes an issue.

I could see something like:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Laich-Ribeiro-Scorer

But I think the reality is that we won't see both playing in the top 6.

Now, I suppose it's possible that Forsberg is that scorer, but I think that's a tough ask of most rookies. There are also valid concerns that without dominant Ovechkin, Brouwer's lack of skill really brings down the top line. 50-50 Ovy, I love that top line. 35-30 Ovy, not so much.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:09 PM
txpd

i agree that both neuvirth and holtby have allowed regular soft goals at bad times.
i am not convinced that says anything about them other than they are like the rest of the team's top players. struggling with the situation.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:19 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Agree with you on Laich and Brouwer. The problem is, they need to be the complementary guys in the top-6, which means they'd have to add another scorer. That's when the cap space becomes an issue.

I could see something like:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Laich-Ribeiro-Scorer

But I think the reality is that we won't see both playing in the top 6.

Now, I suppose it's possible that Forsberg is that scorer, but I think that's a tough ask of most rookies. There are also valid concerns that without dominant Ovechkin, Brouwer's lack of skill really brings down the top line. 50-50 Ovy, I love that top line. 35-30 Ovy, not so much.
The Caps have asked a lot of young players over the last 5 or 6 years and I see no reason they trend away from that suddenly.

I don't think a high priced player on a salary cap tight team is the right answer.

I think they just simply have to wait for guys like Forsberg or Kuznetsov and sell off assets that are on expiring contracts to restock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i agree that both neuvirth and holtby have allowed regular soft goals at bad times.
i am not convinced that says anything about them other than they are like the rest of the team's top players. struggling with the situation.
Thats why I don't think we should trade for a goalie. We really should just keep the guys we have and ride out the year then retool in the offseason.

I don't see a quick fix but if they are desperate to try one then getting a strong veteran goalie would be the obvious way to go. I don't agree with that however.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
The Caps have asked a lot of young players over the last 5 or 6 years and I see no reason they trend away from that suddenly.

I don't think a high priced player on a salary cap tight team is the right answer.

I think they just simply have to wait for guys like Forsberg or Kuznetsov and sell off assets that are on expiring contracts to restock.
I have no doubt the Caps would try it (I think it's likely that they do).

I just have my doubts if Forsberg will be able to handle the responsibility. I'd have more confidence in Kuznetsov, but who knows if he'll ever come over.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:27 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
I have no doubt the Caps would try it (I think it's likely that they do).

I just have my doubts if Forsberg will be able to handle the responsibility. I'd have more confidence in Kuznetsov, but who knows if he'll ever come over.
I'd be shocked if they make the risky move of inking Riebero to an extension to be honest. If they didn't then I can see them bringing in a proven scorer but that would just be break even.

I have doubts about any young player and have over the years questioned the offseason moves or lack thereof by GMGM. Relying on young players in key roles while you still have a window open for a run is and was a questionable strategy.

Now the window is closing...it would wreak of desperation if they suddenly changed their course.

I don't know if Forsberg is the answer. I don't know if Kuznetsov will come over (I suspect he will tho). But I don't think GMGM has the gumption to do anything risky and I'm not sure he is in a position to gamble right now as a failed trade would surely increase the chances of him being let go.

He stays the course, chalks up to season to various bad luck reasons then chances are he will be here next year for sure.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I doubt that they'll sell at the trade deadline unless they're in a downright miserable place in the standings (still). If there's any prayer that they could still make it with a run my guess is they hold on and try to make a go of it. They'd probably rather have the chance at the additional revenue and keeping fans interested than the acquired futures or a better draft position. Selling off would help the bottom line in the short-term but I don't think they'll readily make that decision if it can be avoided. Whether they can even optimistically position themselves for a run by the trade deadline is another matter. They'll need mini-runs at least and mid-March looks pretty brutal from a scheduling standpoint.

If they do sell then beyond the pending UFAs--aside from maybe Ribeiro--one of Ward or Brouwer should probably go. I'd keep Ward but they'll probably keep the player with less hockey sense. And, it goes without saying, they should dump Schultz if there's a taker.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
I'd be shocked if they make the risky move of inking Riebero to an extension to be honest. If they didn't then I can see them bringing in a proven scorer but that would just be break even.

I have doubts about any young player and have over the years questioned the offseason moves or lack thereof by GMGM. Relying on young players in key roles while you still have a window open for a run is and was a questionable strategy.

Now the window is closing...it would wreak of desperation if they suddenly changed their course.

I don't know if Forsberg is the answer. I don't know if Kuznetsov will come over (I suspect he will tho). But I don't think GMGM has the gumption to do anything risky and I'm not sure he is in a position to gamble right now as a failed trade would surely increase the chances of him being let go.

He stays the course, chalks up to season to various bad luck reasons then chances are he will be here next year for sure.
I'm curious as to why you'd say that. If this version of Ovechkin is the one we're going to see the next 8 seasons, then yes, the window is closing and it is going to be pretty damn hard to pry it back open. Outside of that, it isn't like there are any key veterans on this team that would be major losses or the pipeline is completely devoid of higher end talent.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you'd say that. If this version of Ovechkin is the one we're going to see the next 8 seasons, then yes, the window is closing and it is going to be pretty damn hard to pry it back open. Outside of that, it isn't like there are any key veterans on this team that would be major losses or the pipeline is completely devoid of higher end talent.
This team is not what it was under BB. We no longer have scoring depth or the swagger we once did.

This current window is certainly closing but thats not to say another won't open up in a couple years if Kuznetsov/Forsberg pan out and our young players develop consistentcy.

We need to look to open that new window. Its not going to be this year barring some major turnaround and I don't think it will be next year either.

The wisest thing to do would be to structure a two year rebuild (its really already been 2 years and change IMO) and shoot for contending then.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

If this is the Ovechkin were getting for the rest of his contract, the window isn't closing, it's already closed. There's absolutely no way you could justify paying a 16.4 goal player (that's his current pace over an 82 game season, with none of it coming at even strength) the fattest contact in the game. Even if he was a good defensive player, which he's obviously not. He's nothing more than a more physical Jason Chimera at this point. Fast with a hard shot, but stone hands and not much hockey smarts.

If we get 30-something goal Ovechkin, the window is slim but not shut. At least that's still a useful player, albeit dramatically overpaid. If we can get 40G/85P+ out of him (I'm completely discounting the possibility of him returning to 50G/100P form), then we have a legit chance again.

Ovechkin is the most important issue with this team right now. Anyone who says otherwise is being intentionally blind. Our awful goaltending is the only thing that comes close.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote from the (closed) "pre-game talk" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart
Look, they say Terry Bradshaw was one of the dumbest (general IQ wise) QBs to ever play football. But the guy was a great QB and won 4 Super Bowls.

My point? These guys have played hockey their entire lives. Their general IQ might be horrible but they know how to play hockey, how to play within different systems. Any time a team is struggling to pick up a new system, the "the players are so dumb" nonsense gets thrown around. Its horse-manure if you ask me.
Oates said something important in his post-practice thing the other day. He said the game hadn't come easily to him as a player, that he'd been "very analytical" as a player. I think guys like Terry Bradshaw can have elite kinesthetic awareness or whatever, and have "[sport] IQ" through that. Mike Ribeiro is probably pretty dumb, but his physical awareness and vision allow him to do "smart" things with the puck. That's very different from Oates watching hours of game video and systematizing information for later use. I think there's an intelligence issue and I think there's a disconnect between the way Oates thinks and the way most athletes think. I think he may appreciate that, though, and be able to break through it. It seems like he gives very clear and thorough explanations.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:02 PM
msrulo

I'm really impressed by ovi in this interview at monumental network. I have confidence again.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
If they do sell then beyond the pending UFAs--aside from maybe Ribeiro--one of Ward or Brouwer should probably go. I'd keep Ward but they'll probably keep the player with less hockey sense.
It's so ****ing depressing how true this is. Brouwer is still, inexplicably, getting top-six time while Ward is left to play with whoever's left on the third line. You would think Oates would at least be able to recognize which guy is better/a better fit.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
I'm not positive on how cap hits are handled under the new CBA, but looking at Capgeek it shows the full hit for Yakupov and RNH for this year and the remaining ones of their ELCs. I thought that the cap hit for all the bonuses counted against the cap until they were no longer attainable. (What ever happened to sk8?)

In the case they are deferred (bonus cushion), you're potentially creating a big problem the following year. If the Caps are at the cap and MacKinnon (or whoever) hits a couple of the bigger bonuses, they'd have that dead space on the books the next season a la the Blackhawks and Toews the year they won the Cup. I guess that could be a "cross that bridge when we get there" situation, but I don't see McPhee as one who would put himself in that type of scenario.

I'd put more faith into the option of having a team retain cap space in a trade once one actually goes down. The price of those trades will go up, and it might be more costly than the team would be willing to bear.

I still think the level of team you're envisioning isn't possible. You keep having to rob Peter to pay Paul and that is going to leave you weaker than you would like at differing spots in the lineup.
As per my understanding, they count against the cap, but at the same time you're allowed to go over the cap by that amount during the season, so all it really does is lower your offseason flexibility. I believe that's what the Flyers are doing.

Blackhawks had a Conn Smythe and maxed out bonuses to deal with and still would have been fine without Campbell. That was in a lower cap world too.

Also I believe the cap goes back up to 70 in 2014-2015

That last team I posted, only salary deference was Kulemin, and that's only 1 million for 1 year. It came out to 62 mil assuming rookie bonuses are counted that year, if my hunch is correct about them being deferred it's like 59 mil. The price of having Toronto retain a million for a year would probably be an extra 2nd/3rd round pick on top, hardly robbing peter to pay paul. Green and Brouwer would be outgoing too and they'd have decent trade value around the league I'd imagine.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
I'm really impressed by ovi in this interview at monumental network. I have confidence again.
What did he say?

One thing about Ovi is that the guy is honest and he is usually very critical of himself.

Closed Thread