HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Who likes METAL.

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
Judging by the bands you listed, I'd recommend you check out a Canadian band called 3 Inches Of Blood.
Earlier I had only heard one of their songs called Deadly Sinners, and I thought they were an ok band, but this weekend I checked out their whole album Advance And Vanquish and realized that they are much more than just ok. They've taken all the best things from Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, bunch of eighties thrash bands, little bit of Cradle of Filth and mixed it up into one the best metal albums I've heard in years! Every thrash/NWoBHM/melodic death -fan should definitively get this album.

Old
04-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
I HATE load and reload. I'm not going to say those are even decent. but St. Anger is. If they ever remastered it (there not going to), and fixed the drum sound. It would be a solid album.
If they fixed the drum sound, if it was shorter, if it had solos, if Hetfield could unlearn how to "sing", if only songs were a little bit better etc... too many ifs for St.Anger ever to be solid, let alone great album.

I know most Metallica fans, I included, had very high expectations about St.Anger, because we thought it would take the band back to its roots. Maybe those expectations were even too high, because so many of us were enormously disappointed. At first I kinda liked the album, because it wasn't the same kind of p*ssy-arse effort like Reload, but it pretty soon became evident that St.Anger was totally boring, sounded bad, there was too much "country vocals" and WTF?!?, no guitar solos whatsoever? In the end it didn't even make me angry, it just made me sad. It was a disposable album from the band that had made some of the most memorable metal albums ever. Sad, so sad.

There are some influencal bands, like Iron Maiden and Megadeth, who have dived and risen from the ashes of total sh*tness, but I fear that Metallica will not be one those bands. Their style has changed too much over the years. They won't go back to their old style, and I find it hard to believe they could even make a decent country metal album. I'm afraid they have irreversibly lost their direction, but we'll see... Actually I think I've said the same thing about Megadeth at some point and they, in my opinion, came back in a big way with The System Has Failed. Hopefully also Metallica can still prove me wrong.

Old
04-24-2005, 08:54 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
St. Anger was the worst Metallica album ever.

God damn they are an awful band now...

Old
04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipa
Earlier I had only heard one of their songs called Deadly Sinners, and I thought they were an ok band, but this weekend I checked out their whole album Advance And Vanquish and realized that they are much more than just ok. They've taken all the best things from Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, bunch of eighties thrash bands, little bit of Cradle of Filth and mixed it up into one the best metal albums I've heard in years! Every thrash/NWoBHM/melodic death -fan should definitively get this album.
I LOVE 3 inches of blood. I saw them with Trivium last month,and I they were amazing. Then I hung out with them after the show,GREAT bunch of guys. And since they're from Canada,we started a hockey talk,which got pretty intersting.
Someone mentioned In Flames and At the Gates. IMO,two of the best Swedish melodic bands out there. I love how IF mixes techno beats and melodies together. You must listen to their album The Jester Race. As for At the Gates fans,check out Nightrage. It features Tomas Lindberg of ATG,along with a Greek guitarsist and a Greek bassist.

And yes,ST.Anger is Metallica's worst album. Whoever came up with the idea of St.Anger needs to choke.

Old
04-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzapieZeppelin18
Someone mentioned In Flames and At the Gates. IMO,two of the best Swedish melodic bands out there. I love how IF mixes techno beats and melodies together. You must listen to their album The Jester Race. As for At the Gates fans,check out Nightrage. It features Tomas Lindberg of ATG,along with a Greek guitarsist and a Greek bassist.
My problem with In Flames is that their songs are maybe a bit too predictable and sound too similar. It's the kind of music that would propably be excellent if they had some good old fashioned heavy metal screamer on vocals, but with growling vocals the songs become too numbing, and to me it's quite impossible to listen to whole album at once. The Jester Race is a great album though and I also like Colony. It's a good party album because of its nicely flowing poppy songs that don't rouse too much aggression even among non-metal people.

In my opinion latest In Flames and Dark Tranquillity albums have been just straight out boring, but maybe it's just because I was such a big fan of those bands, and Gothenburg-sound in general, from mid to late '90s that I kinda got fed up with that. Fortunately there's some newer bands that have still managed to make interesting records with that sound, like Soilwork. I also have Trivium's Ascendancy on my shopping list. Initially I didn't like their clean vocals, and I still think there's too much of them (in the songs I've heard), but after I got used to them they're actually quite nice because they create some variaton to the music. Trivium's songwriting seems to be excellent though, especially if all of their songs are as great as A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation and Like Light To The Flies.

I've also heard some of the Nightrage songs and been planning to get Descent Into Chaos album. At some point I was very disappointed with The Great Deceiver's Venom Well Designed, which also featured Lindberg on vocals, because I was expecting that album to be "Slaughter of The Soul part 2", but it obviously wasn't. I'm not expecting any band to be new At The Gates anymore though, so I guess I can take Nightrage as they are.

Another great band that spawned from the remains of At The Gates is obviously The Haunted. I've not heard many bands whose vocalist can sound as angry as The Haunted's Peter Dolving, who btw was once again back with the band on their fourth release Revolver. Also their self-titled debut is highly recommendable. The Haunted draws more influences from thrash and they don't really sound like traditional Swedish melo-death band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzapieZeppelin18
And yes,ST.Anger is Metallica's worst album. Whoever came up with the idea of St.Anger needs to choke.
One recommendable album for Metallica fans of old is Finnish Am I Blood's The Truth Inside The Dying Sun. They're totally ripping off Metallica's Black and Justice..., even the vocalist tries to sound like Hetfield, but they do it pretty damn well. Some people have even said that this is the album that Metallica should have released between Justice and Black, or after Black. Only problem with the album is that I don't have a clue where the hell to get it, except by downloading. I'm remembering it should have been released years ago, but the band had some trouble with their record company which went bankrupt or something. It's possible that only copies out there are promos send to magazines etc...

Old
04-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipa
I also have Trivium's Ascendancy on my shopping list. Initially I didn't like their clean vocals, and I still think there's too much of them (in the songs I've heard), but after I got used to them they're actually quite nice because they create some variaton to the music. Trivium's songwriting seems to be excellent though, especially if all of their songs are as great as A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation and Like Light To The Flies.
I have Ascendancy,fantastic album. Gunshot is their next single,so check up for that one. They're also playing at this year's Ozzfest,and I'm close to the band,if I mentioned it earlier. As far as Nightrage goes,I'll have to get their album,i only heard one of their tracks,heh. And for In Flames,it has gotten kinda predictable,you know there will be hard guitars,and you know that there will be some kind of techno,keyboard thing. See,I really didn't like Soundtrack to your escape that much,but I LOVED Reroute to Remain,well,the first 8 songs. As the eighth one came,I got pretty bored with it. Songs like um...I think it's called Minus,one is called Black and White-something along those lines,they're boring! But songs like Cloud Connected and Transparent,those two are my favorite songs off the album,but enough IF,just listen to Whoracle and The Jester Race,guys.
As for The Great Decever,sorry,it doesn't cut it for me. I heard this one song,Today,I think it's called,BORING. But I've always seen Lindberg as a great vocalist,and I'm glad that he's made Nightrage is permie band. At least I hope so.

Closed Thread