HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

have you ever gone to see the Hurricanes away from home?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:54 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

vCash: 500
have you ever gone to see the Hurricanes away from home?

I am curious. Have you ever gone to see the Hurricanes away from home? Which arenas have you seen them play in? What was the atmosphere like there? How were you treated by the home supporters? Which cities were cool and which were similar to how New York looked like in the movie- Escape from NY?

If you have away stories during the Whalers years, that would also be awesome to hear.

Any stories

Last edited by tattooedsean: 02-15-2013 at 05:45 PM.
tattooedsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Roboturner913

Went to St. Louis in 2011 and Washington for back-to-back games near the end of the Cup year. Both places were great, got some flack from the Caps fans but nothing major.

The Blues fans were tremendous, at the time the Cardinals were in the middle of the World Series and the whole town was bonkers. St. Louis is a great road trip if you ever get the opportunity.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Carolinas Identity
Rangers Bandwagon

Guess I'm unique as a Canes fan as I'm not from NC, but have lived there. That said I've seen them live in Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Minny, Anaheim, Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville and Toronto.

I'll focus on Calgary cause that's where I've seen them the most outside of Raleigh. The atmosphere is always pretty good. Flames fans are pretty hardcore, I'll give them that. There're usually a few Canes jersey out and about tho, mostly Ward since he played junior an hour north of here.

The sweet thing about the Saddledome is that it's a 10-15 minute walk from 8th ave (Calgary's historic, heart of downtown, kind of street) which literally has six bars on one block and the block over has a huge Flames bar and a couple others. Pre games are fun.

Favorite memory as a Canes fan was Game Four of the 2006 Final. I'll never forget trolling around downtown Edmonton with my giant 4' x 6' Canes flag, Keith Primeau jersey, hard hat and speakers on my cd player so I could blast "Rock You Like a Hurricane" loud enough to hear two blocks away.

Obviously I expected to get razzed and such not but most people were cool tho I did get booed a lot, especially after the game.

Couple drunk teenagers tried to start something with me outside after the game. Didn't last long tho, there're benefits to being 6'5", 240lbs and in good shape

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:54 AM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Guess I'm unique as a Canes fan as I'm not from NC, but have lived there.
You'd be surprised. I only lived in NC a couple years, I now live in Indiana. Figured I was the only one anywhere around but I was at an Indiana Ice game wearing my favorite gray Canes shirt and this guy comes walking toward me, I look up and he is wearing a Staal jersey. Needless to say, friends for life. He's never even been to NC, just took a liking to the team because of the colors or something I guess. I've met a couple other Canes fans going to Cincinnati Cyclones and Evansville Icemen games too.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:53 AM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
Went to a 2010 preseason game in Atlanta as well as a 2011 regular season game in Pittsburgh during Consol's first year.

I've been to MSG to see a Rangers game but it wasn't against the Canes. Going to Long Island on the 24th and Washington on the 26th to see our boys this year.

Of the arenas I've been to I'd have to say MSG=Consol>>>>Phillips. MSG and Consol are both great in their own ways. Loved to visit both of them.

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I traveled to see them play in Chicago in March, 2011... It was a great time... The lower level fans before the game were great and the ones close to us in the upper level were too.. Our friends were sitting higher up in the arena and did not have a pleasant experience..

Of course that was in 2011, where Cam played something like 21 of the last 22 games and of course the game I travel to watch them, I have to watch Hump Dawg in net UGH

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:50 AM
stivwhaler

If we're counting the Whalers as well I've seen them in Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, DC, and Cincinnati (pre-season). Found fans to be cool everywhere except Philly where it can get scary.

stivwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:27 AM
Guy

vCash: 425
Toronto (twice) - both times were awesome. ran into a lot of cool folks in bars before and after games that couldn't believe we actually drove up from Raleigh to go see the Canes. didn't run into any issues with the home fans. lots of suits were in our section the 2nd time that didn't show up until the 3rd period, so it would have been difficult to tick anyone off on that occasion. Gotta Catch Em Staal was kind enough to snag this screengrab of our delight

Ottawa - the city itself was pretty tame, or at least the part we saw was. pretty good experience though, rode a school bus from LOCAL HEROES in Ottawa to the arena which was a solid 30 minute drive away with all Ottawa fans. they were pretty kind to us before and after. the after was easier because they smoked us during that game. had one guy tell me to stop cheering after a canes goal because his kid was there (didn't follow the logic then and it still doesn't make sense), but overall everybody was great.

Buffalo - the polar opposite of my experiences with them in Raleigh. ran into some nice folks (i think a few were on HFBoards actually) at a bar before the game. overall the experience was positive, a few rowdy folks yelled at us during the game but nothing you wouldn't get anywhere else.

Atlanta - probably close to the top of the list as far as experience goes. tailgated with a large group of thrasher fans under an overpass and had a hell of a time. the game was pretty forgettable because the canes decided to suck, but we didn't run into any issues with fans. i don't remember a single person saying anything negative to me the entire time.

Washington - pretty good experience overall, bar hopped around DC before the game. the game itself was pretty entertaining and didn't run into any major issues. had one 65+ year old man yell at me off and on throughout the game for no apparent reason, because i know i didn't start anything with him. he got on some rant about how Brind'amour was not as FAST as Ovechkin, and had never been as fast as Ovi. i didn't really follow because nobody was arguing against him, he may have just been cenile. he flipped me off after the caps scored a goal a few seconds after the rant. i enjoyed it. overall a pretty solid experience.

Nashville (twice) - as far as atmosphere goes it's way up there. the bar scene near the arena more than makes up for the lack of tailgating. everybody is overly nice and i couldn't imagine running into any issues there unless you went out of your way to start something with them first.

Florida - in the middle of nowhere really. we pregamed at a Dave and Busters ripoff across the street from the arena and ran into a lot of confused faces due to our canes apparel. i won't speak for everywhere/everyone in the area, but nobody in this place gave a damn about hockey. at the game it was pretty fun, pretty decent folks. no issues at all.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Went to a game in DC last year, or maybe it was the year before.

Almost went up to Philly last weekend, but chickened out with the whole snowpocalypse thing.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Skydog

Saw them in Columbus (the night Ward's leg was slashed with a skate) and that is a very nice arena and the area around is also very nice.

Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Revenge of the Sieve
Fear JR's Pimp Hand

Saw them in Boston a few years ago - I had a Canes alternate jersey on (the black one) and some of the fans thought I was wearing an AHL jersey from the Portland Pirates - not sure how they drew that conclusion. But apparently I went under the radar as I had no problems at all.

Revenge of the Sieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Joe McGrath

Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
NYI
NJD

Montreal was the best in all aspects. The people couldn't have been nicer and I saw Tripp and Aaron Ward in our hotel lobby. I've never really had an overly negative experience. Once in jersey but it was just two obnoxious drunks that were irritating everybody. That could happen anywhere.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:54 AM
CanesAvs16

I didn't go to a canes away game but I have gone to two games in nashville (nashville vs. st. louis nad nashville vs. colorado). My favorite player was Paul Kariya, so I was cheering for the away team both times. The nashville fans were great. I even had one lady guide me through how I could get autographs and where/when the best times were to see practices, where to park for the games, etc. I loved the atmosphere in their arena. Their crowd reminded me of our ours.

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

I went to quite a few games in Buffalo when I was going to school in Rochester. Buffalo fans are not very welcoming... Lots of heckling and name calling, they also bent my hurricanes license plate in half after a game when the hurricanes won. I had to get one of those plexiglass license plate protectors and eventually just stopped wearing my jersey to the games...

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Never been to an away Canes game. Saw a Caps game against Detroit when I was going to grad school in DC back in the day (pre-Ovenchicken, circa ~2000), though. Might as well have been a Wings home game. Sold out and a sea of white Wings jerseys throughout the arena. Felt like the small group of friends I was with were the only ones cheering for the Caps. Didn't have any problems with the Wings fans.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Buffalo, 2009: Had a great time. Also one of the most drunken nights of my life. Some trash talking and got yelled at a good bit, but for the most part it all seemed fairly friendly. We lost and I was with some other Buffalo fans, though, so that probably helped. In fact I was so disappointed (and uhh... intoxicated) by the end of the night that from what I understand I attempted to start an altercation with a gentleman in a bar.

Washington, 2009: The most epic thing I've ever witnessed at a game. Group of absurdly drunk college age guys were causing a real problem before the game even started, and it was pretty clear that there was going to be a physical altercation before the end of the game. Never materialized because less than 10 minutes into the first period one of them fell through the seats about 20 rows all the way to the bottom of the seating bowl tumbling over people the entire way down. The entire group was ejected. We lost the game in a shootout and I was heckled by a homeless man afterward (I SEE SOME RAIN BUT I AINT SEE NO HURRICANE). It was pretty hilarious.

Pittsburgh, 2009 Conference Finals Game 1: This was my first time going to an away game alone. I felt like I was in the Sixth Sense. No one acknowledged my existence even when I was the only person in the section standing up and cheering. I also felt like I had been given a special Hurricane fan seat as I had a support column to my right and the stairs to my left. After the game was a different story, as I believe I must have gotten mixed in with the crowd that had been watching the game on the big screen outside. I was confronted by a group of 5 or 6 guys and it was the closest I've ever been to a fight in my life (one guy was so close our noses were touching at one point... cute). I was definitely rattled afterwards and that experience did not leave a very good impression on me.

NY Rangers, 2010: The Garden (pre-rennovations) was an absolute dump. Not a great place to see a game. Nothing stood out about the fans from what I remember. It was, however, the first time I ever actually saw the Canes win (4-3) on the road, and I was pleased because I got to see Jeff Skinner score a goal before anyone in Raleigh did.

Philadelphia, 2010: My roommate at the time is a fairly large boisterous man and a big Flyers fan, so I think being with him kept me from harm somewhat haha. In the parking lot before the game was the first and last time I ever drank a FourLoko. Possibly as a result of that, this may be my best away experience. All the Flyers fans I encountered were great. We lost 3-2 though.

NY Islanders, 2011: Had a lot of fun at Nassau, much more so than at the Garden. It didn't hurt that for $30 I was sitting behind the Canes bench. The people who are still going to Isles games are all die hard hockey fans, so it was a good bunch to talk hockey with, and they weren't very hostile. Plus we won the game.

New Jersey, 2011: Went to both games at Prudential Center last season. We lost both. Can't remember anything standing out.

Philadelphia, 2013: Similar to the 2010 experience. So much fun, though I'm pretty sure a middle age woman was throwing popcorn at me throughout the game. We lose in OT, though.

New Jersey, 2013: This one was a bit rough. Extremely angry and hostile crowd around me, but fortunately nothing serious ever happened. And fortunately we won.

I've also attended two non-Canes games. Minnesota vs. Columbus in 2008 and Montreal vs. NY Islanders in 2012. Both an absolute blast. I think I may have enjoyed going as a neutral more because I wasn't constantly on edge about potential confrontations.

02-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
Buffalo, 2009: Had a great time. Also one of the most drunken nights of my life. Some trash talking and got yelled at a good bit, but for the most part it all seemed fairly friendly. We lost and I was with some other Buffalo fans, though, so that probably helped. In fact I was so disappointed (and uhh... intoxicated) by the end of the night that from what I understand I attempted to start an altercation with a gentleman in a bar.
I really wish either Steve or I still had some of the voicemails you left, you were obviously wrecked. Didn't you wake up on the floor in your room or something like that?

Old
02-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Aussie Hurricane

Tampa and Dallas. Tampa is pretty nice. Actually see quite a few canes fans there. Helps that every time I've been there, they've won. Catch some flak in Dallas but nothing too bad.

Aussie Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3289
Saw the Canes last game in Atlanta two years ago. Good atmosphere but I can see why they moved haha, place was like empty. Believe it was a 5-1 win.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dry View Post
I really wish either Steve or I still had some of the voicemails you left, you were obviously wrecked. Didn't you wake up on the floor in your room or something like that?
I woke up at 7 AM wearing about 4 layers of clothes (it was January in Buffalo) with my feet on the floor and my back on the bed with my arms spread out like Jesus. That was an amazing day.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:09 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Been to a few places, never had a truly terrible encounter. That said, most of the places I've been to games have been as a neutral fan (MSG, Nashville, Tampa, Boston) of which Nashville was by far the nicest.

Canes specific:
Pittsburgh various times in college: Ah the 5 dollar student rush tickets, how I loved those as a nearly broke ass WVU student. It's also why I have no problem with the long time Pens fans, generally cool people there before the bandwagoners came along since they were all diehards and most knew their stuff. Got front row tickets as part of the rush a couple times, even mixed it up with the mascot as some kind of entertainment once after a little friendly back and forth during the game, got silly stringed, was hilarious. Canes won that one 8-1 as well IIRC. Only **** I ever got was from a couple Pitt students that recognized me somehow.

Atlanta various times: Good atmosphere, great building, but towards the end there were seemingly just as many Canes fans there as Thrashers fans in the last few games. Nothing bad to say, just really wish ASG would all jump off the New River Gorge Bridge without parachute. That city deserves a team, and they support them when they don't have ownership that actively screws them in place.

Montreal 2007: The legendary Poutine thread invasion. Gotta a few friendly boos on the street on the way to the game, and the game itself was pretty fun. Did get a beer thrown at me but once they figured out I was heckling my team at times as much as they heckle their own (Fly Condor, Fly lol) people around our group started talking to me and buying me beers. Hit a club afterwords, Afino messed with a drugged out guy at the subway station. My recollection of that night on the whole is rather hazy given all I drank, pretty sure it went something like this:

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:16 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
even mixed it up with the mascot
Did your encounter with Iceburgh go something like this?

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:18 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Of course it did, it's the only way to mix it up with Iceburgh

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Guy

The Montreal mentions made me remember one of my favorite road trip experiences.

We were walking down Yonge Street in Toronto, a very well traveled area of town. Some guy ebrakes in the middle of the road and a passenger hangs his head out of the window to yell at us, I guess because we had Canes gear on. He proceeded to hold up what looked like a Canadiens throw pillow, shake it at us, and scream that the Canes suck. Very memorable experience.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:22 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dry View Post
The Montreal mentions made me remember one of my favorite road trip experiences.

We were walking down Yonge Street in Toronto, a very well traveled area of town. Some guy ebrakes in the middle of the road and a passenger hangs his head out of the window to yell at us, I guess because we had Canes gear on. He proceeded to hold up what looked like a Canadiens throw pillow, shake it at us, and scream that the Canes suck. Very memorable experience.
Response: Deux mille six, mon ami! Comment est l'oeil de Saku?

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote