Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

2012/2013 German Bundesliga

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Schalkenullvier*

vCash: 500
2012/2013 German Bundesliga

Seeing that last year's thread was only made when the first goal was already scored, I figured why not make one early this time. We'll get underway at August 24th with champions Dortmund playing Werder Bremen in the opening encounter.

Last year's champions and cup winners were Borussia Dortmund, who paved the way for Bayer(n) munich's runner up-triple. Schalke and Gladbach finished in the chapions league ranks, while Leverkusen, Stuttgart and Hannover captured the last remaining european spots.

Kaiserslautern and Köln were the teams relegated. In their place, we'll welcome Eintracht Frankfurt and Greuther Fürth to the league, especially Fürth as it will be their first season in the big league after several near misses over the last decade. The third new team in the Bundesliga, after a 15 year hiatus, is Fortuna Düsseldorf after beating Hertha BSC Berlin in the hugely controversial relegation-playoffs.

Top scorer was Klaas-Jan Huntelaar with 29 goals, edging out Mario Gomez' 26.

The final table of 2011/2012:

Schedule

The complete schedule can be seen here. Due to the late start, it is an unusually tight affair, with two midweek-matchdays in the first half alone.

Transfers

Biggest Buys: Marco Reus, Gladbach --> Dortmund, 17mil €
Mario Mandzukic, Wolfsburg-->Bayern, 13mil €
Xherdan Shaquiri, Basel--> Bayern, 11,6mil €
Bas Dost, Heerenven--> Wolfsburg, 9mil €
Granit Xhaka, Basel--> Gladbach, 8,5mil €
Álvaro Domínguez, Atletico--> Gladbach, 8mil €
Phillip Wollscheid, Nürnberg--> Leverkusen, 7mil €
Julian Schieber, Stuttgart--> Dortmund, 6mil €
Eljero Elia, Juventus--> Bremen, 5,5mil €
Eren Derdiyok, Leverkusen--> Hoffenheim, 5,5mil €

Biggest Sales: Shinji Kagawa, Dortmund--> Man Utd, 15mil €
Lukas Podolski, Köln--> Arsenal, 13mil €
Lucas Barrios, Dortmund--> Guangzhou, 12mil €
Gylfi Sigurdsson, Hoffenheim-->Spurs, 10mil €
Marco Marin, Bremen--> Chelsea, 9,5mil €

Preseason-fixtures

The DFB Supercup between Dortmund and Bayern will be held at August 12th.

One week before the league starts, the DFB Cup competition kicks off.

Some further preseason friendlies:

Schalke-AC Milan (July 24)
Gladbach-Sevilla FC (August 4)
SSC Napoli-Bayer Leverkusen (July 29)
Hannover 96-Manchester United (August 11)
VFL Wolfsburg-Manchester City (August 4)
Hamburger SV-FC Barcelona (July 24)
Fortuna Düsseldorf-Benfica (August 11)

The Bundesliga is going into its 50th anniversary season, and the wonderful trophy above will be awarded for the 65th time next spring. Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich are the obvious favourites to lift it again in 2013. After that, things get scrappy, as as many as 8 teams (Schalke, Gladbach, Leverkusen, Stuttgart, Hannover, Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim and Hamburg) have hopes to play european football next season, but only 4 will get in. Also, there may be the odd surprise-team like Gladbach last season or Hannover the year before.

Knowing the relative lack of safe mediocrity in this league in recent years, pretty much everyone who doesn't fight for europe fights against relegation. This means the 50th season of europe's most entertaining and fan-friendly league will in all likelyhood another cracking one.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:58 PM
ScottishCanuck

Dortmund for three in a row.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

All right, so I'm not sure if many of you are familiar with my case. New to football (rather, I've been getting DEEPLY into it) over the last 7 months. I've recently been watching a lot of BVB games, and I'm absolutely in love with the way they play. Plus the yellow wall! Pretty damn awesome.

In any event... How do I go about watching EVERY Dortmund game this season? I don't want to stream unless I have to.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:27 PM
cgf

Should be an exciting season. Dortmund look even better than they did last season, between the addition of Reus and maturation of their very young squad this could be the year they start making noise in the champions league.

Bayern have done a good job bolstering their depth, but I still think they need a big midfield addition like Javi Martinez to partner Schweini. Gustavo's a great destroyer, but he's not that useful when Bayern have to dominate possession, Kroos is skilled but isn't very good at winning the ball back, isn't very quick and tends to be more of a passenger than a difference maker. I also think they're too wing heavy up front since they lack anyone other than Kroos that actually excels as a central playmaker, Robben and Ribery are terrible in the middle, Mueller is much better on the wing and Shaqiri is also a natural wide man.

Schalke are amongst the favorites to secure CL football again with their young players coming up around the proven quality in their team. They'll miss Raul's veteran ruthlessness in the CL, but Draxler looks poised for a huge year.

Gladbach might be the most interesting team to watch since they're coming off a phenomenal season where they've lost 3 crucial starters but have so far made some very shrewd buys to replace them while bringing in more talented youth players to bolster their depth before a season with european football on the horizon.

Stuttgart are a team in flux, they've got some good young talent but rumors are starting to mount about their star CB and I'm not sure how well they will hold together without him.

Leverkusen are similarly a giant question mark. They have young talent, Leno, Wollscheid, Bender, Castro, Schuerrle, Sam and Keissling up top. But their defense was a massive cluster-**** last season which forced Leno into making ridiculous save after ridiculous save. To go with all this they've lost much of their veteran contingent with the likes of Ballack and Barnetta leaving.

Hannover are team looking too build off of last season's strong run in the EL during which they held onto a european place in the league campaign. If Diouf gets healthy quick and their kids keep improving Hannover could be looking to get back into fourth.

Felix Magath's Wolfsburg is a club with a ****load of players, a strong manager and no clue what'll happen next season. All of the change could continue to sabotage any chemistry and consistency or Magath could work his magic yet again.

Then you have clubs like Werder, Hamburg and Hoffenheim who are works in progress with the talent to earn european football, but who could also fall far short and find themselves in the bottom half of the table.

And we've got new comers Greuther Fuerth. I hope that they're not star struck early in their campaign to put themselves behind the eight ball cause they put together a fun, young team that could do well in the first division if they settle in quickly.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:28 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Hoping Bayer Leverkusen have a really good season, so too Teemu Pukki, Alexander Ring and Timo Furuholm

Old
07-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Taking vsk's model

Hoping VFB Stuttgart have a really good season, so too Martin Harnik, Marko Arnautovic and Christian Fuchs

Really excited for a full season of Ibisevic and Sakai

Old
07-11-2012, 07:50 AM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Thank you, S04 and cgf, for mentioning HSV as an EL-contender, which is very refreshing after the 15th place. Now that Guerrero will be transferred to Sao Paolo, the roster has practically had a complete overhaul. I'll wait for the next transfers before I comment on Hamburg's and other teams' chances.

However, one issue already is remarkable: Except for Munich, no other team has spent significantly more than it has received or saved otherwise. Particularly the teams who are allowed to play in the European competitions seem to be surprisingly frugal.

Gruß,
BSHH

Old
07-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Kensu

I'm definitely going to be interested on how Xherdan Shaquiri plays/develops over the next few years. I haven't seen much of him except in the Basel games in the UCL.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHH View Post
Thank you, S04 and cgf, for mentioning HSV as an EL-contender, which is very refreshing after the 15th place. Now that Guerrero will be transferred to Sao Paolo, the roster has practically had a complete overhaul. I'll wait for the next transfers before I comment on Hamburg's and other teams' chances.

However, one issue already is remarkable: Except for Munich, no other team has spent significantly more than it has received or saved otherwise. Particularly the teams who are allowed to play in the European competitions seem to be surprisingly frugal.

Gruß,
BSHH
I just don't know what to expect from Hamburg. If they bring back VdV as the rumors go, one would think that that would be too much talent for them to **** the bed the way they did last year. I've always liked Adler and if he's over his injuries I could see him having a huge "**** all of you for doubting me" year. Plus I'm really curious to see how Tore and Beister do this year...but, I just can't sell myself on them. The way they collapsed last year had me genuinely surprised that they didn't manage to get relegated.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I just don't know what to expect from Hamburg. If they bring back VdV as the rumors go, one would think that that would be too much talent for them to **** the bed the way they did last year. I've always liked Adler and if he's over his injuries I could see him having a huge "**** all of you for doubting me" year. Plus I'm really curious to see how Tore and Beister do this year...but, I just can't sell myself on them. The way they collapsed last year had me genuinely surprised that they didn't manage to get relegated.
What the HSV staff did should have been enough to earn relegation. Fortunately, Köln and especially Hertha decided to have an even worse second leg of the season, which saved Hamburg from relegation. If one considers the financial possibilities HSV has, it was by far the worst management performance of the last BL season.

Gruß,
BSHH

Old
07-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Hamburg is an interesting topic... over the years, I got the impression that their managers were amazing salesmen, but poor buyers.. I mean they bought players like Westermann for 7,5mil, Kacar for 5mil, Berg for 10mil, Jansen cost a lot of money too... all these deals seemed somewhat reasonable at the time, but seem pretty bad up to now. They have somehow managed to keep a balanced transfer budget over the years (selling de jong for 20mil did help), but still it's worrysome to have such glaring holes in the roster when you're spending that much.

Their goalkeeping seems very good now... if adler can return to form he's amazing obviously, and if he sucks or gets injured drrobny is a capable bundesliga goalie.

That defense.. I'd be scared if I was a HSV fan. Aogo is very good, and Diekmeier has his deficiencies at defense but has decent offensive tools, so I'd say their fullbacks are better than average easily. CB though... Mancienne and Brouma looked quite bad last season when I saw them, and Westermann looked no better than average. I think they kinda have to hope Westermann remembers how he played for schalke, or that the two chelsea talents break out. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Their defensive midfield doesn't look like it can help out the CBs immensely either, though Im pretty high on Rincon. Kacar is a big question mark, has potential for sure.

I like their attacking midfield, Jansen (the guy always reminds me of jordan staal) is good when healthy, Beister should be a great addition and Töre has shown terrific flashes. Torun and Illicevic are termendous bench options. The problem that I see is, who will they put at center?

Strikers I think are a glaring hole... Son was highly touted, but disappointed somewhat (I think), Berg was also a big talent that struggled a lot... the talent is there with both of them, but I wouldn't feel too good with no real striker to rely on. I'd have kept petric, although I heard a lot of animosity towards him by HSV fans.

Right now, I'd say HSV will finish around mid-table, just missing out on european spot..8th or 9th.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:44 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

50th season without FCK

Old
07-18-2012, 09:46 AM
ScottishCanuck

Might be going to the Supercup in Munich.

Gonna try and get tickets in the Dortmund end.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:11 PM
cgf

I'm guessing Dortmund, Bayern, Schalke and Leverkusen get the CL spots this season. With Gladbach, Hannover and Wolfsburg taking the EL spots just above Stuttgart, Hoffenheim, Bremen and Hamburg. Although one of those four will probably be the Bundesliga team that ***** the bed the hardest, for some reason I'm feeling Stuttgart, especially if they end up selling Tasci.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Schalkenullvier*

So, I am looking forward as hell to the new season so I decided to make my new avatars bundesliga themed. For the next weeks, I'm gonna have the best schalke player of the season since I became fan as my avatar I'm gonna have to try hard to get one some seasons, in others I'll have to use the 2nd best because one was the best for several seasons. Anyway, feel free to join the idea

In other news, the start now is only 17 days removed. Bayern have lost the "Liga-total Cup" against Werder Bremen on pens. Certainly that's due to the lacking clutch factor

Old
08-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

VfB will be about where they usually are.

would have liked to see them spend a bit more, but they've got some young kids coming along, and I think Harnik keeps stepping up. Losing Tasci or others would be tough, but they would be ok.

Old
08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Will Alexander Ring get more chances now that Reus have moved on?

Old
08-11-2012, 03:31 PM
cgf

I don't think Reus really effects Ring. Ring's played some on the right flank, but he's looked better as one of the double pivots where he's behind Nordtveit and Xhaka for sure, Cigerci probably, and possible even Marx or Korb. Gladbach will need their depth this year so he should play cause he's looked solid, but there's more promising youngsters that'll limit his opportunities.

Old
08-11-2012, 07:12 PM
ScottishCanuck

I'm working when the Supercup is on tomorrow.

Gutted. C'mon der BVB.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Semin

Emre Can in for Munich. Have heard of the name come up before. Read stuff online saying he could be a really good player. Anyone on here know more about him?

Old
08-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
Emre Can in for Munich. Have heard of the name come up before. Read stuff online saying he could be a really good player. Anyone on here know more about him?
Not too much, and I especially haven't seen him much. But from what I've heard, he's considered one of the best midfield talents in Germany, and supposedly a little beyond those borders. Had some impressive performances with the junior national teams, but I heard questions as to how much of his quality there came from an impressive physical maturity.

He's mainly getting time with Bayern's second team, playing as central back for them these days, but midfield is still his preferred position. I'm looking forward to finding out more about him and his game this season, though, myself.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:47 PM
cgf

He's not just big and strong, but has a very well rounded skillset that includes very nice passing range and intelligence for his age, strong tight area ball skills and shot, and a great sense for getting big goals.

Old
08-12-2012, 02:57 PM
ScottishCanuck

Damn.

Oh well. Dortmund lost the Supercup last year and look at what happened.

Old
08-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I'm really happy for Mandžukić, great start for his career with Bayern.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:51 AM
cgf

Boateng looked really good next to a mobile and in command partner like Dante. I really think those two could push Badstuber to third choice this year and both could have great years. Especially with their superior athletic ability over Bads, that'll help with Bayern's vulnerability to counters. Boa's going to have to step up his mental game, but I do think that Dante's a great partner for him to learn from.

Can's going to be good, he's got such a well rounded skillset and driven mindset. He kinda reminds me of Gabriel Landeskog, to make a hockey comparison since this is a hockey site, and the Ballack comparisons may end up being not so crazy.

Gomez has scored a **** ton of goals for Bayern, but that front line was just so much more fluid with Mandzo. Mueller was more comfortable than he ever looked between Robbery last year. With Pizarro also capable of playing outside of the box I think Bayern could be unstoppable this year.

Kroos is really flourishing for Jupp Heynkes so they can rest Schweini until he's actually healthy, with Gustavo as a destroyer, Can and rumors that a Martinez move is getting close, the midfield is stacked even without Schweini.

If Alaba makes a full recovery and doesn't re-aggravate his injury, they're set.

My Only questions are:
1. What happens with Gomez if they're playing great and fluid ball with Mandzukic/Pizzaro?
2. Can Schweini sit still long enough to make sure he's fully healthy?
3a. Counters, will they do better against them?
3b. Deadballs, will they be able to defend them?

Closed Thread