HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When Niskanen Heals

Old
02-06-2013, 12:21 PM
SidsBackhand

vCash: 500
When Niskanen Heals

The Penguins are rolling along right now with Bortuzzo and Despres. Both are locking down on defense and contributing offensively, and I'd even venture to say that both have exceeded Bylsma and Shero's expectations.

When Niskanen returns, the Penguins will be faced with a problem (albeit a good one). Do they reinsert him into the lineup despite the surprising chemistry and success of Despres/Bortuzzo?
---Note: If this is the option the Penguins decide on, they cannot send Bortuzzo down. He would have to clear waivers (as most of you know) and would be snatched up within minutes. Despres however, could be sent back down to Wilkes Barre.

Does Niskanen sit the bench all year and fill in for depth/injuries? Or does Shero possibly move him?

SidsBackhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Keep Bortuzzo up as the 7th d-man, insert him into the lineup whenever there's an injury/illness or someone plays poorly and needs to be scratched. Make Lovejoy take a walkabout. Do not trade Niskanen, Shero likes depth on defense and it's nice being able to insert a #7 into the lineup without missing a beat.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

I think everyone agrees, keep Bortuzzo as the 7th D regardless of what happens to Lovejoy. If there's a good enough opportunity, deal Niskanen. Otherwise that's it.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Shwag33

Personally i've liked bortuzzo better than despres so far. Small sample size and despres will most likely have a better career, but bortuzzo has been playing like the defensemen people have wanted to trade for.

Despres' lows have been lower.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidsBackhand View Post
The Penguins are rolling along right now with Bortuzzo and Despres. Both are locking down on defense and contributing offensively, and I'd even venture to say that both have exceeded Bylsma and Shero's expectations.

When Niskanen returns, the Penguins will be faced with a problem (albeit a good one). Do they reinsert him into the lineup despite the surprising chemistry and success of Despres/Bortuzzo?
---Note: If this is the option the Penguins decide on, they cannot send Bortuzzo down. He would have to clear waivers (as most of you know) and would be snatched up within minutes. Despres however, could be sent back down to Wilkes Barre.

Does Niskanen sit the bench all year and fill in for depth/injuries? Or does Shero possibly move him?
I have no clue. I love Bortuzzo's game. Although he makes mistakes, Despres brings an element to the table that just needs to be there. I almost hate to say this, but I almost hope that Engo goes down for 2-4 weeks right before Nisky comes back to solve this problem for now.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:38 PM
BreakfastatMarios

I'd like for Bortuzzo to schedule some personal training time with Gary Roberts in the off season, I feel if he added some muscle to his frame he would be a scary hitter, no pun intended

As for the question, yeah I'm for keeping Bortuzzo up here as the 7th Dman, and personally I'd like for them to trade lovejoy. He's the oddman out.

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
SidsBackhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I have no clue. I love Bortuzzo's game. Although he makes mistakes, Despres brings an element to the table that just needs to be there. I almost hate to say this, but I almost hope that Engo goes down for 2-4 weeks right before Nisky comes back to solve this problem for now.
I feel guilty even thinking about it, but now that you mention it that would be the perfect scenario. While losing a little toughness, the Pens would add speed and offensive ability. Perfect for Bylsma's system.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastatMarios View Post
I'd like for Bortuzzo to schedule some personal training time with Gary Roberts in the off season, I feel if he added some muscle to his frame he would be a scary hitter, no pun intended

As for the question, yeah I'm for keeping Bortuzzo up here as the 7th Dman, and personally I'd like for them to trade lovejoy. He's the oddman out.
He does seem to fall down a lot either when no one is around him or after he gets
hit. He looks like a guy that grew a lot in 1 year and his coordination hasnt caught up with him yet

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

The Pens are carrying 8 D-man.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
SidsBackhand

It seems like most people want to bench Bortuzzo. If this is what we're going to see all year from him, I would have to disagree.

Tuzzo is bringing as much, or more, to the Penguins than Niskanen did at this time last year. Plus his ceiling is higher and he seems to be improving/building confidence. His first pass abilities are IDEAL for Bylsma's stretch passing system. I would sit Niskanen, but this is a delicate situation because he might turn sour about being benched.

Niskanen + Length + Physicality + much higher ceiling = Bortuzzo. I just don't see how you can sit him.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
WarriorScholar

No way do I trade Nisky for a winger unless we are getting iginla/Ryan in return which has a zero chance of happening. I know everybody wants a winger, but when we are in the playoffs...and an injury happens, do you really want to see killjoy in there again? Depth is so important....something we had during our cup year.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:10 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

If they decide to keep Boychuk, a forward (i.e. Tangradi or Jeffreys) should be the odd man out. Not that Lovejoy is that amazing, but the looming trade is very obviously a D for a F, so it would make more sense to keep carrying 8 D for now.

I`d leave Despres were he is for now unless he shows me something worth demoting or scratching. I`d sit Lovejoy and Bortuzzo probably, but Nisky can definitely take his time and make sure he is 100% healed up as long as it keeps looking like it is now.

If a great trade can be made involving Bortuzzo or Niskanen, you take it. If you can get just about anything decent for Lovejoy, you prolly do that too.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Chili Goal
Professor of Goonism

doubt we carry 8 all season - Lovejoy would be easy enough to tack onto whatever winger trade we make.

personally, I'd keep Bort in the top-6 and designate Engo as the 7th. the former needs to be playing.

Chili Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Creative solution - Why don't we dress seven defensemen?

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:15 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastatMarios View Post

I say if Bortuzzo and Despres play well and the Pens think they can keep it up then trade a dman for the scoring winger we are looking for. Niskanen only plays 18-19 minutes a game and I believe Despres can handle that. Bortuzzo can handle the 12 minutes a game the 3rd pairing dman gets. If Niskanen can be combined with something to bring in a solid winger I would be all for it. We most likely would have to play him for a couple weeks and have Bortuzzo benched to get Niskanen's stock back up after the injury.

Could we afford to trade Martin? That would be a risk because I don't think we have the type of dman that is ready to replace 25 minutes a game. The positive is that we would be trading high now that he is playing better. The negative is we are trying to win a Cup and the D would be very young and unproven come playoff time.

Are Bortuzzo or Despres stock high enough that some team would give a young high level wing prospect that is ready for one of them? Good D prospects are much more valuable than winger prospects and both have shown they can handle NHL duty and have top 4 D upside for the future with Despres top pairing future potential.

Either way if another dman does not go down before Niskanen comes back Shero is going to have to think about making a good hockey trade. Bortuzzo is a good prospect that you can't just let sit on the bench most of the year. I like Despres and Bortuzzo's size and with Dumoulin on his way in a year we could have a nice size D core which we have not had in a while. I would prefer trading Niskanen if he could bring in a decent return.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Goal 7 View Post
doubt we carry 8 all season - Lovejoy would be easy enough to tack onto whatever winger trade we make.

personally, I'd keep Bort in the top-6 and designate Engo as the 7th. the former needs to be playing.
Engo should not be scratched. He is the perfect bottom pairing d-man and the other night when he played just about 20 minutes, didnt even look out of place. His play has done nothing but improve since joinging this team

Old
02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

The thread title sounds like name of new novel. Hey, did you guys read, "When Niskanen Heals" ? It's a great book.

Last edited by td_ice: 02-06-2013 at 01:48 PM.
td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Hugh Madbrough

It's a great problem to have...before he went down I thought Nisky was playing his best hockey. At this point I'd play Niskanen and rotate Bort and Engo, not an ideal situation but I know I wouldnt sit 58, 47, 7 or 44 right now.

I couldn't care less what happens to Lovejoy.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
He does seem to fall down a lot either when no one is around him or after he gets
hit. He looks like a guy that grew a lot in 1 year and his coordination hasnt caught up with him yet
He wasn't like that in the A. I think it is still nerves/speed of the game/strength of NHL players and he is still adjusting to it all.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
He wasn't like that in the A. I think it is still nerves/speed of the game/strength of NHL players and he is still adjusting to it all.
Ya your probably right. That first game he really looked nervous, which is to be expected.

I do like the pairing of him and Engelland tho.

I havent seen Bortuzzo on the PK yet. Are the just letting him settle in cause I thought that was one of his specialities in the A?

Old
02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidsBackhand View Post
It seems like most people want to bench Bortuzzo. If this is what we're going to see all year from him, I would have to disagree.

Tuzzo is bringing as much, or more, to the Penguins than Niskanen did at this time last year. Plus his ceiling is higher and he seems to be improving/building confidence. His first pass abilities are IDEAL for Bylsma's stretch passing system. I would sit Niskanen, but this is a delicate situation because he might turn sour about being benched.

Niskanen + Length + Physicality + much higher ceiling = Bortuzzo. I just don't see how you can sit him.
How do you know his ceiling is higher? Guy has played 10 games.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Ya your probably right. That first game he really looked nervous, which is to be expected.

I do like the pairing of him and Engelland tho.

I havent seen Bortuzzo on the PK yet. Are the just letting him settle in cause I thought that was one of his specialities in the A?
Ya he can PK. His reach and stick really help down low, plus his natural ability to box people out with his huge frame.

He can eventually play a PK role like Gill did, without looking like he has ten lbs of cement in his skates.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Sivek

A better topic would be "When Niskanen Heels" involving him getting his spot in the line-up back by pushing a bunch of hockey sticks off a raised platform onto an unsuspecting Paul Martin and then cracking a bunch of eggs over his unconscious body.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Adams27

Bort could also use some skating lesson, he seems to fall a lot.

But I would just try a trade of some for Lovejoy, maybe a 6 or 7 round pick if not just let him go.

Adams27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Waive, trade, or drown Lovejoy. I don't care anymore. Never want to see him on the ice for the Pens again. Almost think Bort gets scratched in favor of Nisky, just a hunch. Roll with Nisky/Despres-Tang, Free Candy-Martin, Engo-Nisky/Despres. Would also like to keep Manchuk somehow, but not sure how that is possible.

In favor of a hockey trade to bring in either a third wheel for Geno or a second wheel for Sid in exchange for a dman.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote