HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Storm on Saturday. (Blizzard IS HERE! AHHHH)

View Poll Results: Attendance
Will not attend and watch from local bar. 3 4.41%
Will not attend and watch from couch. 55 80.88%
Will attend if I have to get out the snow dogs and snow shoes. 10 14.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 02:33 PM
81ragnaH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
Travel ban is lifted as of 4pm: http://www.mass.gov/alert/alertlanding.html

I'm still not going into work. My corporate stooge of a boss has been trying to argue that I'm "essential personnel" since yesterday at noon.

I'm not (essential or even critical). Even then private retail such as hardware (my gig), gas, food markets (not restaurants) are under the "critical personnel" in order to provide "operations" of the facility. It's a teir down from hospital, police and other such positions. Either way I'm critical nor essential to the place, it's management that is . I even called the governor's office and the state police. My particular job at the store is not critical to its operation. I can't open the store, unlock the doors, activate registers, ring a purchase up, handle cash, turn off alarms, I don't have a single key (key-carrier as it's referred to).

I asked the staties if I slide my truck into a snow bank and gave them my position at the store as the reason, they'd arrest me.

Yet the first statement out of either corporate shill was "you're essential". One even went to the extent of saying he heard Governor Patrick say it. Which is a flat out lie, he never once mentioned anything about private retail being "essential". In fact the only mention of anything of that ilk was from the head of MEMA and his caveat was that if you were needed to "open the store".

I understand these guys are under immense pressure and probably have all their eggs in one basket (retirement, career, mortgage), but I consider risking my life, limb, wallet and freedom through disingenuous coercion,very serious.

When I worked at the VA I was essential, I worked in the kitchen, patients need to eat. But during snow emergencies the clerks, HR, even some of housekeeping didn't come in, nor did they have to. Hell the dieticians didn't even come in, no need for any radical changes in a single day. Never mind a travel ban which is even more restrictive.

end rant....../

Sorry had to get that off my chest.
I know how you feel, friend. I used to work at a grocery store, they never, ever, ever, ever closed. I've worked in floods, hurricanes, blizzards, didn't even close early. Which makes no sense to me...they have to pay employees to be there to what, ring in 3 customers in a 10 hour shift like I did in a blizzard once? Not cost effective.

I now work at a private drug testing lab as a chemist. That falls under the umbrella of healthcare, but is not in any way, shape, or form essential. Yet, my former owner (we just got sold a few months ago) never closed for anything, but was "gracious" enough to let us use a vacation day if we couldn't come in due to snow, saying we were healthcare hence we were essential. New owners are much better, they closed us down yesterday at noon. They let some people stay till 1 if they had to, then were forced to leave the building. Only maintenance was allowed to work late, and that was only to clear snow.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:39 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

My department(s) never close. Except the one time there was a propane leak in the building.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
02-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I guess I have always worked in an industry where your hours worked needed to be assigned to a project. People would complain that we did not get snow days but I totally sympathized with how much the company takes a hit with everyone charging a day to overhead. We can use vacation or personal time or work from home which is a plus. In other lines of work do people get paid if there is a snow day?

Old
02-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Jacobs will never refund the game or reschedule it with both teams in town- however, we might get another free food voucher

I'm guessing when the game comes on tonight it will be packed- I've had season since 1983 and had a few bad storms like this and we still went and it was crowded

remember these are FREAKING BRUINS FANS.....this is borderline cult, they will like zombies find away to get there (if I had tickets I'd hop in the back of a train box car if I had to headed to Boston)
Never say never

02-09-2013, 02:57 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I guess I have always worked in an industry where your hours worked needed to be assigned to a project. People would complain that we did not get snow days but I totally sympathized with how much the company takes a hit with everyone charging a day to overhead. We can use vacation or personal time or work from home which is a plus. In other lines of work do people get paid if there is a snow day?
I was in the insurance business for years (company side as opposed to agency side, as well as in a call center) and we did.

02-09-2013, 03:19 PM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
Finally finished shoveling.. well, not true, I need to carve out a spot for the dog in her yard, but that can be tomorrow.

I am wiped.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
Finally finished shoveling.. well, not true, I need to carve out a spot for the dog in her yard, but that can be tomorrow.

I am wiped.
you deserve a rest. and a heating pad

Old
02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Our street still isn't plowed, but with some maneuvering (and swearing) I made it to work.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
you deserve a rest. and a heating pad
(calling my inner camfan)

and a massage?

(end of inner camfan)

Old
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
(calling my inner camfan)

and a massage?

(end of inner camfan)
for you, yes.

for camfan, no

Old
02-09-2013, 03:53 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmautzy View Post
My clearest memory for "78" is of me and my friends "Mushing."
We would run out in to the snow covered street and grab the bumper of a slow moving car and mush.
As I was letting go one time both of my gloves came off and were still attached to the bumper as the car drove of in to the distance.
Very old school "Jackass" moment.

Hahaha We called it skip hoping in Weymouth. Yeah very early old school jackass. It was more fun when the driver would stop and chase us.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:02 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 1430
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
We're just getting plowed out now. I said I'd be glad to shovel us out and the Wife said 'Oh no you won't either'. That's fine. We didn't lose power for the first time everr in these storms so kudos to our local NStar team. We'll go out tomorrow. I slept until 11 which is really unusual for me.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

The sky is pretty. All of the snow has a pinkish/ orange glow.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
The sky is pretty. All of the snow has a pinkish/ orange glow.
As much as the storm itself sucks, it does bring a unique beauty after. The sky. The pure white snow cover. Even the quiet.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Old
02-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
I hate the snow. I don't go out much even during better weather due to accessibility/travel logistical things, but snow makes me feel like a prisoner in my own home. It can't melt soon enough for me.

Bah, humbug!

Old
02-09-2013, 04:19 PM
BB624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
As much as the storm itself sucks, it does bring a unique beauty after. The sky. The pure white snow cover. Even the quiet.
My road is covered in snow and with the Sun and snow it looks awesome. Then come the plows and sand then rain monday. It is going to be disgusting

Old
02-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB624 View Post
My road is covered in snow and with the Sun and snow it looks awesome. Then come the plows and sand then rain monday. It is going to be disgusting
That rain is going to be an issue for flat roofs and storm drains. Hopefully it's not a lot coming. I cleared some of my roof with a roof rake today. I mean I have 3 to 5 feet in spots up there.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I enjoyed it.
It is really pretty out right now. Easy to say sitting inside all warm .

Old
02-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I enjoyed it.
It is really pretty out right now. Easy to say sitting inside all warm .
Cold and windy tonight. Good night to stay in.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:26 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

I had to drive around and bring people to work. And I have to take them home early in the morning. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:26 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Never say never
had no choice unless he wanted to stand behind the counter selling hot dogs

one of our friends (you know the person well) just told me he heard there were many concerns from the safety of the fans attending, to the problems getting the required security and workers in. Apparently it was going to be a mess- I guess that folks like Dupont and Haggs will have more but they just were really up against it in so many ways- dangerous driving conditions certainly at the forefront

Old
02-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Cold and windy tonight. Good night to stay in.
Yes it is. I am happy the NHL decided to change the date on the game as I was thinking about trying to get there and that would not have been good.

I have my cats, tea, a book, the Habs/ Leafs game and you guys . It is all good.

By tomorrow I will have cabin fever.

Old
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
I think the fact that it is a weekend and I don't have to rush to work or something really allowed this to be much, much less stressful for me than if it was say midweek.

Easier to accept it and plan my pace. Im not supposed to shovel so I really have to have self discipline about what I'm doing and what my body is telling me.

Old
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
I had to drive around and bring people to work. And I have to take them home early in the morning. It sucks, but it is what it is.
Take care and be safe.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
had no choice unless he wanted to stand behind the counter selling hot dogs

one of our friends (you know the person well) just told me he heard there were many concerns from the safety of the fans attending, to the problems getting the required security and workers in. Apparently it was going to be a mess- I guess that folks like Dupont and Haggs will have more but they just were really up against it in so many ways- dangerous driving conditions certainly at the forefront
So see you Tues ???

Closed Thread