HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Storm on Saturday. (Blizzard IS HERE! AHHHH)

View Poll Results: Attendance
Will not attend and watch from local bar. 3 4.41%
Will not attend and watch from couch. 55 80.88%
Will attend if I have to get out the snow dogs and snow shoes. 10 14.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Thanks for the info..
I don't have natural gas available in my development. I agree about downsides of gasoline. I wonder if they have something that runs on propane? And then how big a tank is needed for say aw week of service?
I may look into something like that. As long as we had heat and the kitchen circuits available I'd be good.
They can run on propane too

02-09-2013, 06:40 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
its mind bottling.
well ecsqueeze me

Old
02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
for all intensive purposes it's the same thing.
It's a mute point.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
there's LP systems for what you want to do

to do that right, you'd want to have a circuit for each appliance (you have separate appliance circuits, right) plus the two 20A circuits for your GFCIs plus one for your heat; the good news is that's a pretty reasonable load that you can throw on a <3K genset, and assuming your electrical wasn't done by a lunatic you should be able to have a permanently installed and good to go set for less than 5K
Thanks DP. I don't know much, anything really, bout electrical stuff. But my breaker box has separate breakers for stove, refrigerator, microbe, and the ' kitchen' . I assume ' kitchen is the outlets and lights.

Any 'brands' to look for or stay away from?

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Old
Topshelf88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It's a mute point.
Their are big snow drifts to.

Old
Kovi

storms make people grumpy. we are all exhausted from the prep/anticipation and the excitement...and then the digging out.

my energy is a mess.

just relax peeps

Old
02-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
I used a company called Generator Pro out of Nashua NH. They set up everything including the pad the Generac sits on, the electriction and plumber. They will also service the generator . It needs a yearly oil change and check.

The guy who set all of this up this was Doug Larter . He was recommended by a neighbor who had a generac installed. They were very good about coming Sat since I work during the week.

He does work on Mass too. I was very pleased with the work done.

I have called Doug a couple times with questions since I an NOT at all savvy on generators and he has been very good about calling me right back.

The phone # is 603-879-0839
Thank you!

Old
02-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Thanks DP. I don't know much, anything really, bout electrical stuff. But my breaker box has separate breakers for stove, refrigerator, microbe, and the ' kitchen' . I assume ' kitchen is the outlets and lights.

The transfer switch is like your breaker box. I considered a smaller generac but for the price if wasn't much different.

I have town water (no well) and a gas furnace and waterheater and dryer so the biggest energy draw was my fridge and electric stove (don't know why when they built my condex they didn't pipe the gas up to the kitchen but oh well) I did have them skip the dishwasher and microwave

It is a good feeling to no longer have to worry about loosing power

Old
02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Topshelf88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
storms make people grumpy. we are all exhausted from the prep/anticipation and the excitement...and then the digging out.

my energy is a mess.

just relax peeps
After the first round of shoveling I was super grumpy. No idea why. Coffee and a quick nap fixed that though.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Quote:

what i'm really doing here is taking a roundabout way of complaining about the shoddy electrical work i've seen in many houses, all done by "licensed" electricians, which basically means that their journeymen or apprentices do the wiring and the electrician pulls the permit and gets the inspector to pull a plate, okay that plate, and call it a day

if it's well labeled and tripping the breaker actually does what you think it should, and you don't have some sort of asinine dualie setup without the tab that prevents you from overloading your panel like all the awful electricians i've seen do, then doing this shouldn't be that hard and, dare i say it, will probably have a clean install

ge makes reasonably good product; i'll be honest that my experience with generators is large commercial (ie get a caterpillar) or with the set portion of the genset

Old
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post

my energy is a mess.

just relax peeps
man, i dunno, after i got everything shoveled i felt like a pacifist patrick bateman: lookat them muscles, look at how good i look

Old
02-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
The transfer switch is like your breaker box. I considered a smaller generac but for the price if wasn't much different.

I have town water (no well) and a gas furnace and waterheater and dryer so the biggest energy draw was my fridge and electric stove (don't know why when they built my condex they didn't pipe the gas up to the kitchen but oh well) I did have them skip the dishwasher and microwave

It is a good feeling to no longer have to worry about loosing power
Yeah. The last big time for me was the Halloween storm. After first day I brought my kids and the Bride to my moms in Woburn. But I had o stay here with the dogs. Froze my ass off for 4 days. So I need to bite the bullet and do something.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Thank you!

You are most welcome.

I was lucky my neighbor knew about generators and recommended Doug. I was very pleased with the work done. I am so not handy and it is difficult when I need something done because I have trust issues with people. I like when someone else has had work done and recommends the people to me

Doug was great He explained everything to me after I told him what I was looking for and gave me a price up front that didn't change when the work was done.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:54 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
man, i dunno, after i got everything shoveled i felt like a pacifist patrick bateman: lookat them muscles, look at how good i look
Ahaha. Patrick Bateman.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
02-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
We bought a natural gas generator last fall. Most of our appliances run on gas so the load on the generator is only a few lights, furnace fan, fridge and sump pump. The key is the sump pump because we couldn't think of a way that IF the power went out when we were on vacation that it would recognize it and engage some kind of backup power.

We bought the smallest system from generac, it is 7kw propane, 6kw natural gas.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CGkQ8wIwAA

You need a plumber to do the gas and an electrician to do the transfer switch but all and all it is awesome. During the october storm we had a tiny 2 stroke (thats right) that ran the sump pump which was fine but I spent 3hrs waiting for gas.. it was terrible.

Being that it is a fixture to the home, i might get some of it back in value, but even if its a loss its worth it. I don't have to babysit anything when the power goes out. Also, it does not have to sit on a concrete pad, rocks will be fine.

My only concern about running it off propane would be how much it uses and it you would drain a tank over a larger outage.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Topshelf88

Quote:
Hahaha

Old
02-09-2013, 06:59 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

that's the downside: generators are never, ever a breakeven in value unless you're selling your house to doomsday preppers

which, i guess, isn't never, ever, but that's a pretty limited genre of clientele

Old
02-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
definitely get a reasonably good contractor for this, i agree, i was just talking in terms of being able to estimate without calling a dude or dudette
I am so bad at these things that it was good I had the expert there They will come to your house and you tell them what you want to power and they will tell you what is available/ best for your needs.

Last edited by Ladyfan: 02-09-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 07:00 PM
bostonphoenix

Had to get out if the house. Walked down to the local pub. Surprised its open. Come in. The place is packed. Ask what time it opened. Opened half an hour ago.

Guess I'm not the only one who had to get out of the house after being in for ages.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Yeah. The last big time for me was the Halloween storm. After first day I brought my kids and the Bride to my moms in Woburn. But I had o stay here with the dogs. Froze my ass off for 4 days. So I need to bite the bullet and do something.
Do it You will be happy you did .

I got a Generac. A neighbor has had one for years and loves it. He has put it to use a number of times . I was envious as I froze in my dark cold house. Now all is good

Last edited by Ladyfan: 02-09-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
that's the downside: generators are never, ever a breakeven in value unless you're selling your house to doomsday preppers

which, i guess, isn't never, ever, but that's a pretty limited genre of clientele
Though N. Central, MA has bad outages.. its more of an "oh this house has a generator... thats nice" but when it comes down to it, people are going to pick the cheaper house if everything is similar.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
We bought a natural gas generator last fall. Most of our appliances run on gas so the load on the generator is only a few lights, furnace fan, fridge and sump pump. The key is the sump pump because we couldn't think of a way that IF the power went out when we were on vacation that it would recognize it and engage some kind of backup power.

We bought the smallest system from generac, it is 7kw propane, 6kw natural gas.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CGkQ8wIwAA

You need a plumber to do the gas and an electrician to do the transfer switch but all and all it is awesome. During the october storm we had a tiny 2 stroke (thats right) that ran the sump pump which was fine but I spent 3hrs waiting for gas.. it was terrible.

Being that it is a fixture to the home, i might get some of it back in value, but even if its a loss its worth it. I don't have to babysit anything when the power goes out. Also, it does not have to sit on a concrete pad, rocks will be fine.

My only concern about running it off propane would be how much it uses and it you would drain a tank over a larger outage.
Yeah, I'd need to know how big a LP tank I'd need for say 7 days. I have no clue. But I don't want he hassle of gasoline.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Yeah, I'd need to know how big a LP tank I'd need for say 7 days. I have no clue. But I don't want he hassle of gasoline.
Also, I would look into how much it uses to do its auto test. I doubt it is much, because it is not run on load, but it still turns on for 10mins.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:09 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Though N. Central, MA has bad outages.. its more of an "oh this house has a generator... thats nice" but when it comes down to it, people are going to pick the cheaper house if everything is similar.
it's because people are rather poor estimators of risk and the costs associated with said risks; hence why i am swirling a nice rye around in a glass right now

in fairness, the value of a generator over time isn't going to be economically sound but so long as you view it as a luxury good it's not a bad one to have; just not one that will raise the value of your house as much as the value of other luxury goods, like a renovated bathroom

Old
02-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:

Yeah but when you are sick of spending weeks in the cold it is a good and comforting thing to have. No pipes bursting...no loss of food in the fridge/ freezer..warm instead of freezing.

For hurricane Sandy it ran for over 2 days and when the power returned I didn't even notice it shut down and the reg. power took over. It is so seemless .

Closed Thread