HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 12:29 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Calgary?!

With all the comparisons to the post-'05 lockout Leafs over the past few years, trading futures for Kessel would just be too perfect.
No kidding .. Imagine getting Calgary's first and it end up being a top 10 pick

Old
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
If Minny is in the mix.. Brodin, Coyle, 1st for Kessel and I would be quite happy
That's too much. Coyle + Brodin is pretty good offer, but I don't think Nonis will do any deal that doesn't include a high quality roster player.

If Phoenix is interested, I think Yandle could be available from their side. Kessel for Yandle + 2nd would be a pretty even deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
This is true.

We're talking about the same GM that gave up a top 10 pick for Varlamov

Its all speculation either way.
Forsberg went 11th overall

Old
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I'd like to think i have a pretty good "feel" for a players worth around the league.

I did call a Colb +1rst for kabber before it happened. Not that i said it would happen but thats what i thought would be the return IF it did happen.

But man o man, I'm having an impossible time trying to gauge PKs worth out there.

I understand folks reservations about the pending UFA status but i also understand that the team that holds his rites have the 8th year option and that holds some real value.

Then i sit back and ask myself, what IF Getz/Perry hit the open market.

What would this team look like IF Lups/Kessel was our 2nd unit and Getz/Perry was the #1. Now the spot lite is off Kessel and also the top forward and D units.

UHHGG, I just don't know.

I think it's pretty easy and has been laid out in this thread many times: young top-9 forward with potential (or top-4 D), prospect, 1st round pick. That's the bar. That's the standard we've seen in both Carter trades, the Richards, trade, etc.

As for Colorado, you never know what they might want. Duchene is looking very good so far this season and they may feel they can part with some of their future if it means bringing in a player like Kessel, plus perhaps a defenseman like Gunnar or Franson to play 2nd pairing minutes. That may push their club into the post-season.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

If Anahiem can't get Perry locked up, maybe we could do Kessel for a signed Perry at the deadline. They'll never get anything close to Kessel even for a signed Perry from someone else.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
If Anahiem can't get Perry locked up, maybe we could do Kessel for a signed Perry at the deadline. They'll never get anything close to Kessel even for a signed Perry from someone else.
The luxury of paying a premium to either as a UFA makes the initial trade even worst.

However, it is not a idea I'd be against. Personally, I think Perry is a significantly better player than Kessel.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
The luxury of paying a premium to either as a UFA makes the initial trade even worst.

However, it is not a idea I'd be against. Personally, I think Perry is a significantly better player than Kessel.
I'd be up for the swap, but if Perry's hitting the UFA market anyway, why not deal Kessel and then make a bid for Perry?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I'd be up for the swap, but if Perry's hitting the UFA market anyway, why not deal Kessel and then make a bid for Perry?
Kessel for OEL straight up?

Sign Perry... Next season:

JVR - Kadri - Perry
Lupul - Grabo - Frattin
Kulemin - xxxxx - Ashton

OEL - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnar
Rielly - Holzer/Komi

Old
02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
There's Avs and Leaf fans, and then there's managment.

To completely separate entities.
Thanks for the info chuck!

I know you said Nonis doesn't think we are as close as Burke did and thus, would be open to moving Kessel for the right offer. But is it possible he moves Kessel to make us better today?

One proposal I keep seeing kicked around is Schneider+Kassian+1st. Not saying this is at all possible (as you said; fans and GMs are different breeds)...but would it be possible to see Nonis complete a deal like that which would (IMO) significantly improve the team as it is today and then head out and try to acquire a Corey Perry type player in FA to replace Kessel? Add this to the potential of drafting a high quality forward with our 1st round draft pick this year and we've got a much better core.

However, I also feel we need another top pairing quality defenseman to play alongside Dion and trading a player of Kessel's calibre could net us a young stud blueliner....

In your eyes, what kind of deal would you like to see?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

OEL is about as untouchable as they get. Phoenix will never move him unless the player they are getting is one of Stamkos/Malkin.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

I would never, in a million years, do a deal where Schneider is the key piece. He hasn't even had a full season under his belt yet. Plus Reimer looks like he's finally healthy from that Gionta cheapshot, and back to his old self.

I hope a goalie is not the center piece for any potential Kessel deal.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
OEL is about as untouchable as they get. Phoenix will never move him unless the player they are getting is one of Stamkos/Malkin.
I know, I'm dreaming ... A deal for Yandle + would be interesting though if we signed Perry

Old
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I would never, in a million years, do a deal where Schneider is the key piece. He hasn't even had a full season under his belt yet. Plus Reimer looks like he's finally healthy from that Gionta cheapshot, and back to his old self.

I hope a goalie is not the center piece for any potential Kessel deal.
Agreed. I certainly wouldn't mind if a goalie was included in the deal, but I want the center piece to be a young #1 C/top center prospect, or young #1 Dman/top Dman prospect

Old
02-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Budsfan

I doubt the Ducks will let Perry walk, if they can't re-sign him, they will deal him to an Eastern team, maybe us but it would take a Kessel to get him.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:54 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Agreed. I certainly wouldn't mind if a goalie was included in the deal, but I want the center piece to be a young #1 C/top center prospect, or young #1 Dman/top Dman prospect
I think the young dman is the most pressing need. I have a feeling we'll have a better shot at a very good centre in this draft.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
As of right now, Washingtons 1st is untouchable. They are last place in the league...
No way. They will be happy to deal it. Leafs lineup would be set for the future.

JvR - barkov - kadri
xxx - Monahan - xxx
kulemin - ROR - frattin

Jones - carlson
ekman-Larson - reilly

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention we offer sheet oel on the off season.

That's something to look forward to

02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I doubt the Ducks will let Perry walk, if they can't re-sign him, they will deal him to an Eastern team, maybe us but it would take a Kessel to get him.
A Kessel - Perry swap would be interesting .. But I'd want some insurance in the form of a conditional pick or a good prospect in the event Perry walks at the end of the season

Old
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
A Kessel - Perry swap would be interesting .. But I'd want some insurance in the form of a conditional pick or a good prospect in the event Perry walks at the end of the season
If we traded Kessel to Anaheim they wouldn't send Perry back. No way. Most likely they'd be dipping into their prospect pool:

Gibson G
Bobkov G

Palmieri F
Etem F
Rackell F
Smith-Pelley F
Friberg F
Holland F

Vatanen D

Likely, one of Palmieri or Sbisa, plus one of the above prospects, along with a 1st round pick, would be the offer. They may also decide they could dangle one of Hiller or Fasth, but that seems unlikely. No Perry. No Ryan. No Fowler. No Getzlaf. I would also say that with Palmieri's emergence they may be more hesitant to deal him. Who knows, just spitballing here.

I would suggest an offer would look something like:

Sbisa
Holland/Etem/Smith-Pelley
1st

or

Sbisa
Palmieri
1st

or

Palmieri
Etem
1st

Something like that. If Anaheim makes a bold move and includes Hiller, this obviously changes the landscape of the offer.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:31 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Yea, I think that makes sense.

Getting a solid goalie prospect, but not a centrepiece to the deal type of prospect, as part of the package would be of interest. Guys like Visentin, Poulin, Hackett, Campbell, Vasilevski, etc. They all have decent value, but obviously nothing close to Kessels.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Thanks for the info chuck!

I know you said Nonis doesn't think we are as close as Burke did and thus, would be open to moving Kessel for the right offer. But is it possible he moves Kessel to make us better today?

One proposal I keep seeing kicked around is Schneider+Kassian+1st. Not saying this is at all possible (as you said; fans and GMs are different breeds)...but would it be possible to see Nonis complete a deal like that which would (IMO) significantly improve the team as it is today and then head out and try to acquire a Corey Perry type player in FA to replace Kessel? Add this to the potential of drafting a high quality forward with our 1st round draft pick this year and we've got a much better core.

However, I also feel we need another top pairing quality defenseman to play alongside Dion and trading a player of Kessel's calibre could net us a young stud blueliner....

In your eyes, what kind of deal would you like to see?
Van is in cap HELL next year, they is no way they can take on Kessel.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Nonis would probably want a re-signed or a guaranteed contract from Perry before making any deal and that would maybe be a sticking point however these kind of deals have been done before but again it may hinge on how much and how long a deal Perry wants.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:39 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Van is in cap HELL next year, they is no way they can take on Kessel.
The team and players involved weren't the point of that post.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:42 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Nonis would probably want a re-signed or a guaranteed contract from Perry before making any deal and that would maybe be a sticking point however these kind of deals have been done before but again it may hinge on how much and how long a deal Perry wants.

Think it's safe to say the Perry talk can be put to bed. Anaheim is tops in the west and Perry is their franchise winger. I'd suggest wasting no more time on it.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Interactif

I would be real temped to deal Kessel if it would guarantee us a top 10 pick in this upcoming draft. A top 10 pick this draft could be a game changing building block to add to ours.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
ROR isn't the answer for #1C, he's an excellent #2.

The leafs have way too many holes to fill to become a competitive team, for us to try and make good hockey trades to build up this club. We need a rebuild.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
ROR isn't the answer for #1C, he's an excellent #2.

The leafs have way too many holes to fill to become a competitive team, for us to try and make good hockey trades to build up this club. We need a rebuild.
Not as many holes as you think ().

#1 C could be filled internally if Kadri continues his game, or if we can tank and get a high draft pick this year. Defense could be solved internally, given the amount of quality prospects we have. We will be adding more at the draft. #1G could be filled internally also, if the Reimer we are seeing now is here to stay.

What we really need is more patience - not another rebuild, which means you build your team again.

Closed Thread