HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 08:52 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Funny enough, it's win-win. If we keep him, we have our franchise #1 RW. If we deal him, we get foundational pieces in return. Either way, I'm not worried about the outcome.

What worries me more is how we can get some help for the Kadri/Frattin line.... Mac adds NOTHING to that line. They need a winger that can either fly up and down the ice, or can bang and crash and open up space for them. Mac does neither. At least when JVR was on that line he'd make space by going to the dirty areas in front of the net.

Really interesting over the next few days... I expect to see some movement.

I do not expect any movement.

Remember, we have Lupul coming back eventually. GM's know this. When you have a top 6 forward on the mend, you generally aren't running out there trying to acquire one right away.

Look at Vancouver. They lost Booth/Kesler... 2/3rds of their second line. They didn't go out there and break down doors trying to replace them. They know they are coming back and things will fall into place.

Lupul will come back eventually, likely get slotted next alongside Phil and Tyler and JVR can/should be bumped with Kadri and Frattin.

Things will fall into place. Patience is required on that front.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Funny enough, it's win-win. If we keep him, we have our franchise #1 RW. If we deal him, we get foundational pieces in return. Either way, I'm not worried about the outcome.

What worries me more is how we can get some help for the Kadri/Frattin line.... Mac adds NOTHING to that line. They need a winger that can either fly up and down the ice, or can bang and crash and open up space for them. Mac does neither. At least when JVR was on that line he'd make space by going to the dirty areas in front of the net.

Agreed, either way I am happy. It was fun speculating about the pieces we could get back for him though.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
tony135420

And why would Nonis contemplate moving Kessel? This is not the same old Kessel, that when he's not scoring, he's Jason Blake. He's actually back checking, putting up points, doing little things to help his team.

I was never the biggest Kessel fan, but I have to hand it to him. If he continues this, he's made a fan out of me.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
BertCorbeau
Hellloooo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
We need a good mobile shutdown Dman to go against other teams top lines. Like it or not, phaneuf is not a shutdown defenseman and even though his defensive abilities are above average, he is more suited for an offensive/two-way role.

Gunnarson-****** -> primary shutdown pair
Gardiner-Phaneuf -> offense pair, that can also play real well in their own end
Liles - komi/franson -> great bottom pairing

Anyone we can pick up? I really wish we picked up Z.Michalek in the offseason, he was dirt cheap.
I liked what I saw from Holzer last night again Evander Kane .. If he can keep that play up and adapt to the NHL game I think he'd be an excellent component of a shutdown pair going forward

Old
02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Why on earth anyone would consider trading Kessel for Ovi's ridiculous contract is beyond me. 9.5m cap hit for 9 more years? Are u serious? That is a franchise crippling move when he is clearly on the decline. His body is falling apart as everyone predicted it would due to the way he played, and his attitude is terrible.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Why on earth anyone would consider trading Kessel for Ovi's ridiculous contract is beyond me. 9.5m cap hit for 9 more years? Are u serious? That is a franchise crippling move when he is clearly on the decline. His body is falling apart as everyone predicted it would due to the way he played, and his attitude is terrible.
I would laugh if they bought him out.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony135420 View Post
And why would Nonis contemplate moving Kessel? This is not the same old Kessel, that when he's not scoring, he's Jason Blake. He's actually back checking, putting up points, doing little things to help his team.

I was never the biggest Kessel fan, but I have to hand it to him. If he continues this, he's made a fan out of me.
Agreed.

If he wasnt puting in a 110% defensive effort, RC would not be giving hin the minites he has been....even if he was scoring.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:20 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I would laugh if they bought him out.
If they buy him out hes gone to the KHL before you can blink

Old
02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
If it was an amnesty clause and not a buyout this summer, I could definitely see Ovi a candidate. Is that contract ever horrendous.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Budsfan

Quote:

I don't see a lot of movement, there are some teams that are expected to do more, especially teams like the Wild that invested in some pretty big signings in the off season and also Washington and Pittsburgh, with their Crosby's Malkins and Ovie's, they have some young players, I would like to see on the leafs but I think they will hold tight, until they absolutely have to deal.

There are teams on the West coast too, that may deal but for the time being, they are all talking but until a team thinks it's time, to get their teams moving who knows?

If there is going to be any movement on the Leafs it could be a Steckel to Edmonton for a draft choice type deal.

Having said all that, we could all be surprised, by a Blockbuster deal, no one saw coming, which is usually the case.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:36 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I don't see a lot of movement, there are some teams that are expected to do more, especially teams like the Wild that invested in some pretty big signings in the off season and also Washington and Pittsburgh, with their Crosby's Malkins and Ovie's, they have some young players, I would like to see on the leafs but I think they will hold tight, until they absolutely have to deal.

There are teams on the West coast too, that may deal but for the time being, they are all talking but until a team thinks it's time, to get their teams moving who knows?

If there is going to be any movement on the Leafs it could be a Steckel to Edmonton for a draft choice type deal.

Having said all that, we could all be surprised, by a Blockbuster deal, no one saw coming, which is usually the case.
And as we've heard, Nonis was key player on the Phaneuf deal.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
SprDaVE

Something has to give with Komisarek.

I know his value isn't that great but a low salary team looking for a decent defenseman at 3.5M for one more year (4.5M cap hit) could be all right.

The Islanders could use a guy like him. Maybe even a budget team like Nashville or Columbus.

Leafs could easily retain some salary on his contract too.

As much as he hasn't worked out here, I think he can have some success on another team.

I guess teams will be interested in him once the Leafs buy him out this summer, hence why they wouldn't want to give up a pick or whatever for him now.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 891
We definitely have some expendable players. When Lupul gets back I definitely would want to keep Frattin up with Kadri. Honestly Mac, you've had a decent run for a FA but its time to go.

We seem to have a good problem on D though

Old
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
And as we've heard, Nonis was key player on the Phaneuf deal.
I would like to see another deal like that come accross the board, we actully got rid of some players, that were not going to be here for the long haul and that deal wasn't all that one sided, in our favour but we did get the key player Phanuef and to some degree it helped both teams.

We have a number of expiring UFA contracts, that a lot of teams may want, if the cap does go down next year.

MacArthur, Bozak, Steckel, Orr and Kostka, are all UFA's after this season.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:16 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
MacArthur, Bozak, Steckel, Orr and Kostka, are all UFA's after this season.
In my mind, all of them except Bozak can be sold at the deadline. Don't see them here longterm.

Even Bozak, I think he MIGHT have a spot here longterm, but if there was a really solid trade deadline offer, then I wouldn't be too hesitant to move him.

Considering we're not gonna be going on any Cup runs this year, and considering our prospect pool is STILL considered average or even slightly below average by some, there's no reason at all for us to hang onto pending UFAs and lose them for nothing.

Getting an extra 2nd round pick means we can grab one of the top 2-3 goalie prospects in the draft. An extra 3-4 draft picks gives us lots of flexibility to trade up and get the guys we're targeting, while still having extra picks to take chances on other guys.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:20 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
In my mind, all of them except Bozak can be sold at the deadline. Don't see them here longterm.

Even Bozak, I think he MIGHT have a spot here longterm, but if there was a really solid trade deadline offer, then I wouldn't be too hesitant to move him.

Honestly... I know we all covet that #1 C, but I would be okay going into the season with Bozak, Grabo, Kadri & McClement as our guys next year... provided we upgrade in other areas.

These guys have been okay, and the development of Kadri gives us some top line offensive skill. Sure we still need to draft and develop one, but I'd rather not make a poor move for a #1 C just to get one.

If we can add a top line winger, like Perry, and say a #1 or #2 dman to play with Phaneuf or Reilly/Gards down the road I'd be ok with it.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
These guys have been okay, and the development of Kadri gives us some top line offensive skill. Sure we still need to draft and develop one, but I'd rather not make a poor move for a #1 C just to get one.

If we can add a top line winger, like Perry, and say a #1 or #2 dman to play with Phaneuf or Reilly/Gards down the road I'd be ok with it.
I don't think we'll be able to trade for a clear-cut legitimate #1C. It just doesn't happen. Thornton is the only one in the entire league who's been acquired via-trade. They also almost never hit free agency, B. Richards being the only one league-wide who's been signed as a UFA.

It's very very likely that if we're ever going to get a #1 C, we're going to have to draft him. Which is why I'd like to stock up on assets to get draft picks/prospects. NOT trade for 1B types of centres (though we should be going hard after Getzlaf/Perry in free agency if either of them make it, not that I think we have a realistic shot at either of them).

This team needs big upgrades in terms of top-end talent, and in the very likely event that we can't get that in free agency, we either have to draft it or trade proven talent for unproven talent with upside and hope for the best. Because I don't see any trades where we trade for proven elite talent and it doesn't just completely gut the team or future.

If Bozak gets sold at the deadline for example, then we can try and find another short-term solution in free agency (Filpulla, Weiss, Ribeiro, etc), or just go with Kadri-Grabo as our top 6 Cs.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Krazy

I hope Toronto keeps Kessel. I have always been a fan and liked the trade. In my mind Burkes only mistake was not providing a longer contract (like a 10 year 65 million dollar deal). he already made his bed with the kessel deal, now we are looking at the possibility of him walking away. I hope this is rumors but if it is true, and he may want to leave trade him asap. Rule number one is never lose a player for nothing.

Ideas:

Philly:
They need a winger and a kessel/Giroux combo or 1-2 punch would be unreal.

I would want similar to a Carter/Richards package

Ie: couts and Voracek or Simmonds plus 1st for Kessel and Bozak.

Washington:

As people had mentioned they have assets and probably aren't willing to just drop the season. Despite what fans wants ownership is not happy with going through perpetual rebuilds.

I woudl say Forsberg and Alzner, or Forsberg and Johansen and a first

or Kessel for OVY.

Colorado

Ryan Oreilly and Siemens and a first but I don't think that's enough.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Something has to give with Komisarek.

I know his value isn't that great but a low salary team looking for a decent defenseman at 3.5M for one more year (4.5M cap hit) could be all right.

The Islanders could use a guy like him. Maybe even a budget team like Nashville or Columbus.

Leafs could easily retain some salary on his contract too.

As much as he hasn't worked out here, I think he can have some success on another team.

I guess teams will be interested in him once the Leafs buy him out this summer, hence why they wouldn't want to give up a pick or whatever for him now.
If anything at the TD for a 3rd rounder..

but i expect nothing and we will amnesty buy him out in the summer

Old
02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
rumman

if the Leafs are keeping Kessel, for the love of god get him a true #1 centre to play with, otherwise Leafs should do themselves and Kessel a favour and trade him.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa
Just chatted w/Dean Lombardi. Dean Lombardi: "Right now we have to operate on the premise Willie and Greener are done for the year."
Looks like kings are open for business hence they traded for ellerby

02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
if the Leafs are keeping Kessel, for the love of god get him a true #1 centre to play with, otherwise Leafs should do themselves and Kessel a favour and trade him.
i dont agree.. I think Kadri and Kessel would be dynamite together!

Bozak is the guy who needs to go! As long as he is here Kessel will want him as his center because of their on/off ice relationship.

We should move Bozy for a 1st rounder ala Gaustad and let Kadri and Kessel build some chemistry!

Old
02-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
i dont agree.. I think Kadri and Kessel would be dynamite together!

Bozak is the guy who needs to go! As long as he is here Kessel will want him as his center because of their on/off ice relationship.

We should move Bozy for a 1st rounder ala Gaustad and let Kadri and Kessel build some chemistry!
Not yet, we gotta keep kadri moving up slowly and steadily. People are very happy with his play and what not but forget that they were wiling to trade him and move him since he wasn't ready.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Not yet, we gotta keep kadri moving up slowly and steadily. People are very happy with his play and what not but forget that they were wiling to trade him and move him since he wasn't ready.
I think Kadri has paid his dues and deserves a shot!

im thinking around TD we move Bozak because of his UFA status, the Kessel relationship, an extra 1st in a good draft and his lack of production. That will give Kadri a cameo of the top spot and motivation to build on that in the summer!

In a perfect world we will trade Bozy for a 1st, resign Kessel for another 5 years and give Kadri a shot on the top line between JVR and Kess!

Old
02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
I think Kadri has paid his dues and deserves a shot!

im thinking around TD we move Bozak because of his UFA status, the Kessel relationship, an extra 1st in a good draft and his lack of production. That will give Kadri a cameo of the top spot and motivation to build on that in the summer!

In a perfect world we will trade Bozy for a 1st, resign Kessel for another 5 years and give Kadri a shot on the top line between JVR and Kess!
We might see that before the end of the season TBH. With Kadri's emergence we may see a top-6 that looks like:

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Frattin

Personally I'm fine with that. I like Bozak as a #3C too, and I especially like McClement as the #4C - he makes that line capable of sustaining a regular shift. He can also scale up the 3rd or 2nd lines on the wing late in the game to for extra defensive responsibilities.

That means our 3rd looks like:

Komarov-Bozak-Kulemin

Again, I'm fine there too. I like Kulemin's game in a more limited role, and that's a great shut-down line.

Closed Thread