HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Winreims

vCash: 500
Trade for a pick. A team may be desperate enough at the deadline to give up a 3rd (if we're lucky).

Old
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Keep him for now. He's a good face-off guy.... and injuries are bound to happen.

That and the fact that we only have 4 centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Keep him, a 5th or 6th isn't worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Peasant View Post
Leave Steckel on the team. He's the perfect 13th/14th forward who can step in and fill a gap in case of injury. He'll be great in the playoffs if someone goes down. Big, can win face offs etc. Slow as balls but its alright cause he's simply a depth guy.
Who goes down when Brown and Gunnarsson come back then? And then inevitably Lupul as well.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Who goes down when Brown and Gunnarsson come back then? And then inevitably Lupul as well.
I personally think Brown is more likely to be moved out than Steckel, even though he's a more effective player. His spot as the 2nd fighter has been taken by both McLaren and Fraser, and as a pugilist I think Komarov is much more effective. He's a nice 4th liner, but he doesn't really surpass anyone who does what he does, and Steckel has that faceoff quality that, while not overly necessary with the current roster, is still pretty valuable out of a 13th forward.

When Lupul comes back, that muddies things a bit more, hopefully Mac is dealt at that point, we can eat 50% of his remaining salary to sweeten the deal (hell, if you want to be really creative, involve another team who he goes through and the acquiring team only eats 25% of the salary lol), if not I can see one of the Dmen who's not playing up to snuff anymore getting sent down.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:18 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
I personally think Brown is more likely to be moved out than Steckel, even though he's a more effective player. His spot as the 2nd fighter has been taken by both McLaren and Fraser, and as a pugilist I think Komarov is much more effective. He's a nice 4th liner, but he doesn't really surpass anyone who does what he does, and Steckel has that faceoff quality that, while not overly necessary with the current roster, is still pretty valuable out of a 13th forward.

When Lupul comes back, that muddies things a bit more, hopefully Mac is dealt at that point, we can eat 50% of his remaining salary to sweeten the deal (hell, if you want to be really creative, involve another team who he goes through and the acquiring team only eats 25% of the salary lol), if not I can see one of the Dmen who's not playing up to snuff anymore getting sent down.
While I agree with the logic I can't see them moving Brownie. I'd think Steckel would hit the waiver wire before Brown gets moved.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
wait until trade deadline
Face off guys have good value for playoff teams
this

Old
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

who knows if it's legit but FAN590 NHL Insider ‏@FAN590_NHL

The #Leafs have been talking with the Penguins all weekend regarding Kulemin. The Pens may offer the Leafs a 1st round pick and a prospect. If this is legit and the draft is as deep as it is reported as being we got to look at this one.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

The #Leafs have been talking with the Penguins all weekend regarding Kulemin. The Pens may offer the Leafs a 1st round pick and a prospect. If this is legit and the draft is as deep as it is reported as being we got to look at this one.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post

I'm 100% sure it's fake. They reported Joey MacDonald was on waivers at 12, when he was on waivers yesterday and got claimed today

Old
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Jerkini

[QUOTE=LEAFANFORLIFE23;59494113]who knows if it's legit but FAN590 NHL Insider ‏@FAN590_NHL

The #Leafs have been talking with the Penguins all weekend regarding Kulemin. The Pens may offer the Leafs a 1st round pick and a prospect. If this is legit and the draft is as deep as it is reported as

What part of "FAN590 INSIDER" sounds legit to you?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Budsfan

FAN590 NHL Insider ‏@FAN590_NHL
The #Leafs have been talking with the Penguins all weekend regarding Kulemin. The Pens may offer the Leafs a 1st round pick and a prospect.

@Pensfan6866 We've been hearing the Leafs want a pick and ghe Penguins are willing to offer the Leafs their 1st rounder.

I would take a first rounder or Bandon Sutter and throw in Steckel.

https://twitter.com/FAN590_NHL

Old
02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
While I agree with the logic I can't see them moving Brownie. I'd think Steckel would hit the waiver wire before Brown gets moved.
Agreed. I would think Carlyle would value Brown's grinding and strong skating more than Steckel's one-dimensional faceoff ability...especially when all of Bozak, Grabo, and Kadri are doing a fantastic job thus far winning draws for us.

Plus Brown use to be a Duck and played under Carlyle in the past.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
The #Leafs have been talking with the Penguins all weekend regarding Kulemin. The Pens may offer the Leafs a 1st round pick and a prospect.

@Pensfan6866 We've been hearing the Leafs want a pick and ghe Penguins are willing to offer the Leafs their 1st rounder.

Idn Kulemin is our best player on the boards. Who replaces his spot? But a 1st round pick would be nice come draft day...

If i had to choose, Kulemin>1st round pick for when were in the playoffs

Old
02-11-2013, 01:44 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

Not sure if that account is trustworthy. I'm thinking it's just some random Leafs fan. If it was someone legit then they'd have people from 590 and others in the business following them.

Old
Darkhorse1280

Quote:

I would take a first rounder or Bandon Sutter
and throw in Steckel.

The 2 bolded are far from interchangeable.

Old
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
Idn Kulemin is our best player on the boards. Who replaces his spot? But a 1st round pick would be nice come draft day...

If i had to choose, Kulemin>1st round pick for when were in the playoffs
I think we'd have to be very lucky to get a player as good as Kulemin with a late first round pick.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I think we'd have to be very lucky to get a player as good as Kulemin with a late first round pick.
But could we move into the top 10 on draft day if we swapped 2 1st round picks?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

These Kulemin to the Pens proposals certainly pique my curiosity but where does Sutter fit on this team? Does he replace Bozak/Grabo/Kadri? He played two full seasons with 30 points, and while I don't know the kind of ice time he received, I don't know if he's enough of a leap in upgrade to justify trading for him.

Kulemin is probably our hardest working forward, he's our best player along the boards and his work ethic is second to none. I think it'd be a significant loss that would signal us throwing up a bit of a white flag on the season.

I don't know, I'm just not convinced, though I am slightly intrigued.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
These Kulemin to the Pens proposals certainly pique my curiosity but where does Sutter fit on this team? Does he replace Bozak/Grabo/Kadri? He played two full seasons with 30 points, and while I don't know the kind of ice time he received, I don't know if he's enough of a leap in upgrade to justify trading for him.

Kulemin is probably our hardest working forward, he's our best player along the boards and his work ethic is second to none. I think it'd be a significant loss that would signal us throwing up a bit of a white flag on the season.

I don't know, I'm just not convinced, though I am slightly intrigued.
Same here. I know in terms of value, people would think a 1st + good prospect would be more than fair, but I don't know if I'd want to give Kulemin up for that. He's still young, one of our best forwards, one of our only forwards with size and seems to have returned to form offensively. Why move him for anything short of an obvious overpayment?

On the other hand, Leafs management seem to have a particular interest in the upcoming draft (IIRC Nonis even mentioned it in an interview on his first day as GM), so they could really be looking to pick up a couple extra 1sts. If it were a 1st + a good defensive prospect like a Despres or Morrow or Maatta then you'd have to pull the trigger on that IMO.

Last edited by Marco Esquandolas: 02-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Seems fake BUT the only reason it has some credibility is the fact we are at the 23 man roster limit and Gunner and Brown are set to come back soon. Also through Lupul in the mix in a month.

Sutter wouldnt be part of the deal because of the roster situation so it would have to be a pick + prospect.

my guess

1st + Harrington for Kulemin is what the Pens offered.

1st + Morrow/Bennett/Maata for Kulemin is what the Leafs want.

Last edited by Rockinz: 02-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 02:01 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I don't want us to move Kulemin. I'd rather move MacArthur.

02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Baba Ganoush

trading Kulemin would be a big mistake.

especially for unknowns like picks and prospects...and considering his trade value is way lower than his worth right now.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
trading Kulemin would be a big mistake.

especially for unknowns like picks and prospects...and considering his trade value is way lower than his worth right now.
I don't think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinz
Seems fake BUT the only reason it has some credibility is the fact we are at the 23 man roster limit and Gunner and Brown are set to come back soon. Also through Lupul in the mix in a month.

Sutter wouldnt be part of the deal because of the roster situation so it would have to be a pick + prospect.

my guess

1st + Harrington for Kulemin is what the Pens offered.

1st + Morrow/Bennett/Maata for Kulemin is what the Leafs want.
Right now, he doesn't fit unless we move Bozak, Kadri or Grabo, so either one of those has to be going the other way, or Nonis would need to line up another trade. Sitting in a playoff spot right now, safe to say Nonis isn't likely to send Kulemin away for futures unless he's really sold on the return. If Sutter is the main piece coming back, then it's likely that will accompany another move that sends either Bozak or Grabo out and returns a winger to replace Kulemin.

These seem like the only plausible scenarios: either Nonis likes Sutter enough to trade Kulemin for him, and then moves Bozak or Grabo to make room, or he loves the prospect they get in the prospect + 1st deal.

Maybe Nonis gets on the horn and sees what teams want to bite on sending their young top-6 forward for Grabo + Gunnar... who knows.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Revolt

Honestly not interested in a 1st round pick for Kulemin. You know its going to be in the 20s range, and i would rather hold on to Kulemin then go through with this. Especially considering this team may be better then what a lot of people expected.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
The 2 bolded are far from interchangeable.
Well my preference is to get Sutter and a draft choice maybe not the first but Sutter is their third line center but he's only 23 and has similar stats to Kulemin, Steckel is going be a UFA after this year and is probably gone but could fit in as their 3rd line center, so as I mentioned before.

Kulemin and Steckel for Sutter and a 5th or 4th round choice, this reduces us down a player and gives us a good young player going forward but if Sutter is not coming back, then a first and a 2nd or 3rd.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Well my preference is to get Sutter and a draft choice maybe not the first but Sutter is their third line center but he's only 23 and has similar stats to Kulemin, Steckel is going be a UFA after this year and is probably gone but could fit in as their 3rd line center, so as I mentioned before.

Kulemin and Steckel for Sutter and a 5th or 4th round choice, this reduces us down a player and gives us a good young player going forward but if Sutter is not coming back, then a first and a 2nd or 3rd.
The problem is I'm not convinced that Kulemin is equal to Sutter, or Sutter to Kulemin for that matter. I haven't seen Sutter play enough. He's getting 15 minutes a night playing with Dupuis, kills penalties and gets a bit of PP time. Pittsburgh is 15th in PK %. He doesn't have a lot of hits, whatever that means.

I dunno. Unless Nonis is making a follow up move despite what I may see in Sutter as potential #2C I can't justify sending Kulemin for that, since we already have a #2C.

Closed Thread