HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1 year to Sochi, name your 23

Old
02-07-2013, 12:28 PM
-DeMo-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Nash - Crosby - Tavares
Stamkos - Giroux - Perry
Eberle - Toews - E Staal
Skinner/E. Kane - Getzlaf - Seguin/Duchene
Bergeron

Doughty Weber
Petro Keith
Staal Letang
Seabrook

Price
Ward
Luongo

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Gotta keep the Keith-Seabrook pair together. I think there will be a Lucic-Bergeron-Iginla shutdown line of some sorts. Put Toews + Crosby as the top 2 Cs and Stamkos, Giroux, Nash and Perry as the wingers.

Stamkos - Crosby - Perry
Nash - Toews - Giroux
Tavares - (E) Staal - Eberle
Benn/Lucic- Bergeron - Iginla
Lucic/Benn, Mike Richards

Weber - Letang
Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Marc Staal/Phaneuf (maybe? outside chance of course)

Price
Luongo
Ward
defence edit:

Keith - Doughty
Hamhuis - Weber
Staal - Letang
Pietrangelo

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Joey Hoser

Nash Crosby Eberle
Stamkos Giroux St. Louis
E Staal Toews Iginla
Ladd M Richards Perry
Tavares

Weber Doughty
Seabrook Keith
Letang Staal
Pietrangelo

Price
Luongo
Ward

I went with real fourth line. I don't really like most people's idea of having young offensive guys like Hall and Skinner there.

Two lines that can make good use of the bigger ice. Two lines that can keep physical pressure up.

Could use some Bergeron, though.

Last edited by Joey Hoser: 02-07-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Just Did It

Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
E.Staal-Giroux-Perry
Nash-Toews-Eberle
Benn-Richards-Iginla
Thornton

Letang-Weber
Keith-Pietrangelo
M.Staal-Doughty
Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Fleury or Ward

I don't think Lucic even comes close to making this team. Thornton and Benn are also bubble players. Could go with Bergeron, Getzlaf, Sharp, Hall, Seguin, J.Staal. All can play bottom 6 roles.

Just Did It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Sochi Olympics: Who’s on Your Team?

Over the past week, as the 1-year countdown to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics kicked off, 7 members of the WWAC staff created what they think will be the rosters for Team Canada’s squad. The rosters were required to adhere to the following criteria and are listed below:

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...s-on-your-team

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:56 PM
scottcwheeler

Important to note, on an aside from our roster predictions that Germany and Belarus did not qualify, meaning Grabovski and Holzer can't play on behalf of the Leafs.

scottcwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:29 AM
piere McGuire*

I cannot believe that amount of people not putting Pietrangelo in the top 6. Not only is he the best Canadian D in the NHL right now but he may be the best D in the entire league right now.

Pietrangelo - Weber
Keith - Seabrook
Letang - Doughty

piere McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
L-C-R
Hall - Stamkos - St. Louis
Kunitz - Crosby - Couture
E. Staal - Toews - Clarkson
Duchene - J. Staal - Perry

One of: Getzlaf/Nash/Thornton/Marleau/Tavares

Clarkson and Duchene make it due to their strong start this season, though both have clearly shown they are elite players the past couple seasons. Getzlaf and J Staal are interchangable, and I could see Nash on the team simply to put together the line of Nash-Toews-E Staal again. As good and consistent as they've often shown they can be in the NHL, Thornton and Marleau should only be on the team if they play top-6 minutes. They were invisible in 2010 as 3rd liners and have never really shown a true ability to perform at the highest levels. Tavares is really out simply to the numbers game and the fact that he's not really suited for a wingers position.

D D
Keith - Seabrook
Letang - Weber
M Staal - Pietrangelo

One of: Doughty/Boyle/Campbell/Del Zotto/Hamhuis/Brewer

The top 6 are pretty safe bets. Pietrangelo might be questionable, but he is having a good 2013 so far. Doughty might be the obvious #7, but he's struggled the last two seasons. I'd probably want a veteran presence like Boyle or Brewer if he doesn't improve, but any of the 6 are definitely possibilities.

G
Price
Fleury
Ward

All 3 spots are pretty much locks. Brodeur will likely be too told, and even Luongo's past his prime and doesn't really have that big game mentality like the three above. The next few goalies on the depth chart are Dan Ellis, James Reimer and Devin Dubnyk and even with their solid starts to this season, none really have the historic numbers to support their selection.

Last edited by Leafsdude7: 02-11-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
I hope to God Seabrook is nowhere near this team.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
BonMorrison
Always on fleek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
L-C-R
Hall - Stamkos - St. Louis
Kunitz - Crosby - Couture
E. Staal - Toews - Clarkson
Duchene - J. Staal - Perry

One of: Getzlaf/Nash/Thornton/Marleau/Tavares

Clarkson and Duchene make it due to their strong start this season, though both have clearly shown they are elite players the past couple seasons. Getzlaf and J Staal are interchangable, and I could see Nash on the team simply to put together the line of Nash-Toews-E Staal again. As good and consistent as they've often shown they can be in the NHL, Thornton and Marleau should only be on the team if they play top-6 minutes. They were invisible in 2010 as 3rd liners and have never really shown a true ability to perform at the highest levels. Tavares is really out simply to the numbers game and the fact that he's not really suited for a wingers position.

D D
Keith - Seabrook
Letang - Weber
M Staal - Pietrangelo

One of: Boyle/Campbell/Del Zotto/Hamhuis/Brewer

The top 6 are pretty safe bets. Pietrangelo might be questionable, but he is having a good 2013 so far. The 7th spot is up for grabs, though. I'd probably want a veteran presence like Boyle or Brewer, but any of the 5 are definitely possibilities.

G
Price
Fleury
Ward

All 3 spots are pretty much locks. Brodeur will likely be too told, and even Luongo's past his prime and doesn't really have that big game mentality like the three above. The next few goalies on the depth chart are Dan Ellis, James Reimer and Devin Dubnyk and even with their solid starts to this season, none really have the historic numbers to support their selection.
Kunitz? Clarkson? Couture? Dan Ellis?

Giroux, E. Staal, Tavares, Eberle, Bergeron, Seguin, Neal, and Richards are all higher on the depth chart than those 3. Couture is the only that'll maybe get a summer invitation to camp.

No Drew Doughty?

Also, the Shark line was the 2nd line in 2010 and they were far from invisible.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
I hope to God Seabrook is nowhere near this team.
Why? Along with Keith, Weber and Niedermayer, he was one of the best defenseman in 2010. Solid skater, stay at home, reliable with a bit of offensive punch and good first pass. He's definitely one of the elite defensemen in the league. He deserves the spot.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:23 AM
BonMorrison
Always on fleek.

Quote:
Why? Along with Keith, Weber and Niedermayer, he was one of the best defenseman in 2010. Solid skater, stay at home, reliable with a bit of offensive punch and good first pass. He's definitely one of the elite defensemen in the league. He deserves the spot.
No he wasn't. He was used as the 7th defenseman and was benched for large portions because he was taking stupid penalties and making poor decisions with the puck. He's improved since then and I agree he's a good shot to make the team in 2014 but in 2010 he was terrible.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Kunitz? Clarkson? Couture? Dan Ellis?
Giroux, Tavares, Eberle, Bergeron, Seguin, Neal, and Richards are all higher on the depth chart than those 3. Couture is the only that'll maybe get a summer invitation to camp.

Also, the Shark line was the 2nd line in 2010 and they were far from invisible.
Ellis is not going to be on the team according to my list. He was only named in my list to show just how shallow our goaltending pool is and why the 3 guys I did name are almost certain to be selected.

As for the others, Kunitz has insane chemistry with Crosby. He's put up constantly solid numbers the last two seasons and is doing it again this year. He deserves the spot. Couture is one of the most underrated forwards in the league and can play wing as well as centre. Clarkson I could see, but he's having another solid year so far, helped the Devils reach the Cup Finals last year and can play on all 4 lines if necessary.

Bergeron, Seguin and Eberle are struggling offensively this year, though that's more troubling for the latter two than Bergeron. I did mention Tavares as an option if Clarkson or Duchene (or Nash or Getzlaf, for that matter) struggle next year, as well. I'll give you Giroux, though. I totally missed him somehow. He probably makes that team ahead of Perry easily.

I disagree with your analysis of Marleau and Thornton. They scored only two goals in tight games (out of the 5 goals they scored, 2 were in the game against Norway and 1 was against Germany), were constantly finding themselves outmatched in battles in the corners and weren't constantly generating offense. The Crosby and Getzlaf lines were both above them on the depth chart, IMO, and even the defensive/energy line with Richards more consistently played their role effectively.

Last edited by Leafsdude7: 02-11-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old
02-11-2013, 09:38 AM
bobbyflex

Lupul - Kadri - Frattin as a 4th line ?

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
BonMorrison
Always on fleek.

Quote:
Ellis is not going to be on the team according to my list. He was only named in my list to show just how shallow are goaltending pool is and why the 3 guys I did name are almost certain to be selected.

As for the others, Kunitz has insane chemistry with Crosby. He's put up constantly solid numbers the last two seasons and is doing it again this year. He deserves the spot. Couture is one of the most underrated forwards in the league and can play wing as well as centre. Clarkson I could see, but he's having another solid year so far, helped the Devils reach the Cup Finals last year and can play on all 4 lines if necessary.

Bergeron, Seguin and Eberle are struggling offensively this year, though that's more troubling for the latter two than Bergeron. I did mention Tavares as an option if Clarkson or Duchene (or Nash or Getzlaf, for that matter) struggle next year, as well. I'll give you Giroux, though. I totally missed him somehow. He probably makes that team ahead of Perry easily.

I disagree with your analysis of Marleau and Thornton. They scored only two goals in tight games (out of the 5 goals they scored, 2 were in the game against Norway and 1 was against Germany), were constantly finding themselves outmatched in battles in the corners and weren't constantly generating offense. The Crosby and Getzlaf lines were both above them on the depth chart, IMO, and even the defensive/energy line with Richards more consistently played their role effectively.
I realize you didn't pick Ellis but to have him even sniffing at the depth chart was ridiculous when you have Luongo, Smith, Anderson and Dubnyk all higher than him and Reimer.

Kunitz is good yeah but there are players on his own team that should be on the roster more than him - mainly James Neal. Kunitz didn't get consideration in 2010 and he won't get consideration in 2014 especially now that Neal is on the same team as him. Giroux makes the team but not "over Perry, easily." He makes the team over Kunitz, Clarkson, and Couture. Perry is not a displaced fourth liner, he is likely to get top six minutes as he's the best Canadian RW'er we have for 2014 (assuming St. Louis isn't on the team).

I'll give you Thornton underperforming at the Olympics but Heatley and Marleau were great IMO. Always generating chances. They were a line brought in for chemistry but as you can see, it doesn't always work hence why bringing in Kunitz for his "chemistry" with Crosby is an unwise decision.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
I realize you didn't pick Ellis but to have him even sniffing at the depth chart was ridiculous when you have Luongo, Smith, Anderson and Dubnyk all higher than him and Reimer.
Anderson is American. Smith is getting up there in age and has really only had one good season. I mentioned Luongo as higher on the depth chart. Dubnyk is no higher on the chart than Reimer or Ellis.

My use of Ellis in that post was completely justified.

Quote:
Kunitz is good yeah but there are players on his own team that should be on the roster more than him - mainly James Neal. Kunitz didn't get consideration in 2010 and he won't get consideration in 2014 especially now that Neal is on the same team as him.
Obviously, I disagree. Neal had an excellent year last year, but before that he was no better than Kunitz. I think Kunitz has better chemistry with Crosby and I think he's shown better consistency as a goal scorer.

Quote:
Giroux makes the team but not "over Perry, easily." He makes the team over Kunitz, Clarkson, and Couture. Perry is not a displaced fourth liner, he is likely to get top six minutes as he's the best Canadian RW'er we have for 2014 (assuming St. Louis isn't on the team).
I disagree again. IMO, Perry's taken a step back, as has Getzlaf, in the past season and I don't think you can afford to take players who aren't performing at their best.

Keep in mind, as I say this, that I've selected these players as if the Olympics started next week, not as I assume it's going to be next February. Couture, St. Louis and Giroux are ahead of Perry on the depth chart right now, IMO, and Clarkson is performing too well/is too hot ATM to leave him off the team.

Quote:
I'll give you Thornton underperforming at the Olympics but Heatley and Marleau were great IMO. Always generating chances.
I disagree. Only Heatley was really performing at his best. Marleau had just as poor a tournament as Thornton, IMO.

Quote:
They were a line brought in for chemistry but as you can see, it doesn't always work hence why bringing in Kunitz for his "chemistry" with Crosby is an unwise decision.
I disagree that they didn't work because they were brought in just for chemistry. I think they didn't work because they weren't suited for the level of play at that tournament. I think Kunitz is.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Quote:
No he wasn't. He was used as the 7th defenseman and was benched for large portions because he was taking stupid penalties and making poor decisions with the puck. He's improved since then and I agree he's a good shot to make the team in 2014 but in 2010 he was terrible.
Yea exactly. He was brought along due to his chemistry with Keith but was clearly over his head.

I don't see the larger international ice surface (which accentuates speed/quickness) allowing him to flourish either.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:02 PM
yideboit

nash stamkos giroux
marleau crosby perry
spezza thornton eberle
e staal toews neal
getzlaf/seguin

weber keith
pietrangelo doughty
letang del zottp
phaneuf/subban

luongo
fleury
price

yideboit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Mojo19
GOlf LEAFS GOlf!

Too many lineups with Iginla!

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:54 PM
TheMadHatTrick

One more try

Skinner Crosby Neal
E.Staal Giroux Stamkos
Marchand Bergeron Perry
Teows Bolland Clarkson

Tavares Eberle

Doughty Keith
Weber Peitrangelo
Letang Del Zotto

Campbell Schultz

Luongo
Fleury
Price

Quick

TheMadHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:25 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Giroux - Crosby - Perry
Stamkos - E. Staal - St. Louis
Bergeron - Toews - Spezza
J. Staal - Thornton - Marleau
Eberle

Keith - Weber
Doughty - Letang
Staal - Pietrangelo
Boyle

Price
Luongo
Fleury

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
One more try

Skinner Crosby Neal
E.Staal Giroux Stamkos
Marchand Bergeron Perry
Teows Bolland Clarkson

Tavares Eberle

Doughty Keith
Weber Peitrangelo
Letang Del Zotto

Campbell Schultz

Luongo
Fleury
Price

Quick
Quick is American, but if he were Canadian, he's be our clear #1, would he not?

Old
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Not much thought to this and way too early, but I want Tavares on this team at all costs. I am also going to choose younger guys as opposed to the usual suspects.

Captain or assistant Captain, Toews, who else?

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Captain or assistant Captain, Toews, who else?
Crosby is still our captain. Toews, E. Staal, Keith and Weber should be the rotating A's.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
#Chychrun2016

vCash: 50
GM: Who knows?
Head coach: Mike Babcock

Iginla - Crosby - Giroux
Eberle - Stamkos - St Louis
M. Richards - Toews - Nash
Benn - Bergeron - E. Staal

Seabrook - Keith