HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At what point does Semin prove himself for a contract extension?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

vCash: 500
So we're actually fighting the CAP now, not the actual dollars?

What a weird world... Actually discussing methods of cap circumvention when last year we couldn't even spend CLOSE to the cap.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Mr America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Don't sign a first-line goalscorer because it'll mess up our forward depth? What is this depth you speak of? 3rd and 4th line players can be found everywhere, guys like Semin cannot.
I am having a hard time understanding this as well. Don't resign Semin, because it will make it difficult to resign the scrubs of the league?

And good grief, I had forgotten that McBain get's paid $1.8 million. How the hell did that happen?

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
I am having a hard time understanding this as well. Don't resign Semin, because it will make it difficult to resign the scrubs of the league?
No, it's resigning Semin will seriously limit any potential moves that we can do in the near future.

Important possibilities that need to be considered:

What if Semin busts?
What if we need a top 4 defender?
What if Faulk and Tlusty both demand significant raises to their RFA contracts?
What if Ruutu refuses to waive his NTC?
What if the cap does not go up as expected?
What if no one decides to take a discount?

It seems that JR was expecting that salaries would be rolled back once the new CBA was signed. And now that it wasn't, we're in a tighter spot than he imagined.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Beardy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
No, it's resigning Semin will seriously limit any potential moves that we can do in the near future.
....so don't make the move now so we can have the money to make a similar move in the future?...

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardy View Post
....so don't make the move now so we can have the money to make a potentially better move in the future?...
EDIT: Not quite.

I'm not advocating "Don't resign Semin". I'm advocating that we wait a bit, figure out what the cap will look like next year, likely moves that are/are not possible, who will be given how much money in raises, and most importantly, which Semin we are getting.

Getting the 40g, 40a gamechanger Semin on a 6 million a year contract is awesome. Getting the 25g, 25a Semin that got chased out of Washington on a 6 million a year contract is awful.

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 02-20-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
i2edAlien

Quote:

I'm not advocating "Don't resign Semin". I'm advocating that we wait a bit, figure out what the cap will look like next year, likely moves that are/are not possible, who will be given how much money in raises, and most importantly, which Semin we are getting.

Getting the 40g, 40a gamechanger Semin on a 6 million a year contract is awesome. Getting the 25g, 25a Semin that got chased out of Washington on a 6 million a year contract is awful.
I agree with you for the most part, but remember, when Semin's production started slowing down was when the Caps' offense was going down the pooper. Combine that with his constant rotation of 3rd/4th liner linemates...

But yes, you guys should wait a bit more. His production will dip here and there but it's never because he's not trying or that he's sucking it up... things just aren't going his way and you'll be able to tell when he's frustrated by when he tries to take things into his own hands and just puck hog.

i2edAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Panic at the Back

Quote:

How many games did Semin play with a center the caliber of Eric Staal? He was used mostly on the 2nd line with bums, and those bums were better by playing with Semin than they were with any other linemates.

Panic at the Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:42 AM
impeach estaalo

Actually, there is a quite simple solution to signing Semin and it's to stop paying premium prices for depth players. It's especially simple when many of said players have expiring contracts.

Why is it that Chad LaRose can't be replaced by a league minimum player? And Jussi Jokinen, are you to tell me that we need to pay someone $3M to do whatever it is he does? Nobody in the league can be acquired to win face offs and float around for less? Jamie McBain at 2.5M, seriously?

You could easily replace those three players at an average of $1.5M or less and not have any negative effect on your roster.

Faulk at $4M seems quite a bit high, given how Del Zotto, Subban, and Erik Johnson all got significantly less. Faulk is a RFA without arbitration rights and on top of that does not have the all-important counting numbers despite how much fans overrate him offensively.

What if we need a top 4 defenseman? What if we need a winger? Without Semin, who do you have? A Tuomo Ruutu who hasn't played hockey in a year and a half and a concussion waiting to happen in Skinner? And don't mention any prospects because they all suck.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:34 AM
TheBigKahuna

The Canes simply can't afford $7m per season. And it probably won't take that if they offer him 4 or 5 years. I think the best fit for the Canes would be 4 years, $22m. But I wonder if Semin would sign for that, or go after more money elsewhere.

I'd also love to see Ruutu bought out, but I know that's not going to happen. We're severely overpaying him.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Snipeshow

4yr@6mil

That's my prediction

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
rocky7
#TellitlikeitIsn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
4yr@6mil

That's my prediction
Sounds reasonable, 5.5 doesn't. Who really knows? 6.5? He is an elite player. A player that E.Staal has wanted and needs. They got J.Staal as well. It must be very tough being a small market team, but if this team has any hope, they need to keep the good pieces they have. I'm tired of hearing the 'what ifs' about Semin. I think that was settled as everyone who knows anything, knows the truth. We are all different in our own ways. If he needs to be treated a little different here and there, do it. He deserves a home and has earned it being in that disfunctional organization for so long. It's easy and natural to get excited all of a sudden with the team doing well. They need two D IMO and two forwards. Perhaps it will take two or three years to get there. Should be happy and content with Semin and J. Staal for this year given the restrictions of money. Do the best they can sure, but they certainly can't do it all at once. To think of letting a guy like A. Semin walk is nuts. I don't think anyone would dispute what his presence has done for this team and E.Staal. Build around E.Staal, o.k., Semin is probably alright with that. However, he has been wanted, is here and should stay here. The transition for him and the the team with him was/is likely very difficult. So far, so good. It will most likely improve and any improvement over what we see now is a wow factor.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:00 PM
rocky7
#TellitlikeitIsn't

In addition, the Canadian media is now pretty much ignoring Semin. Makes me sick really and always has. What exactly has this poor kid done to deserve that kind of abuse? Anybody that knows anything about hockey could see that from the get-go this player was not used properly and his amazing talent not embraced. What a sin and a horrible waste of skill. I watch hockey to see guys like him, not grinding goons and stumbling 3rd or 4th liners. Carolina should do everything they can to keep and work with him. If it takes a little special attention, which I don't even think it would, then do what's needed. I think just let him play. Unfortunately, it will be very hard for him to shake what "they" have done to him. E.Staal can play a bad game or take a bad penalty and nothing. Semin, and people are all over the guy. Shameful really.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
TheBigKahuna

I just hope the guy falls in love with the area/team/organization/locker room/Muller/BBQ/sweet tea, etc. For years, Canes fans have cried for Rutherford to bring in THAT winger to play with Staal. THAT winger is now here, and things look pretty darned good so far, in the small sample we've seen. I'd HATE to see him walk away for a slightly better contract elsewhere. I just don't think Skinner will ever be THAT winger for Staal, and Semin leaving will leave a huge hole in the roster, that Ruutu can never fill.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
CanesAvs16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I just hope the guy falls in love with the area/team/organization/locker room/Muller/BBQ/sweet tea, etc. For years, Canes fans have cried for Rutherford to bring in THAT winger to play with Staal. THAT winger is now here, and things look pretty darned good so far, in the small sample we've seen. I'd HATE to see him walk away for a slightly better contract elsewhere. I just don't think Skinner will ever be THAT winger for Staal, and Semin leaving will leave a huge hole in the roster, that Ruutu can never fill.
I agree.

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Snipeshow

What a pass..

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Sens1Canes2

Odds of rocky07 being related to Semin? I have to think so...

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:33 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
Actually, there is a quite simple solution to signing Semin and it's to stop paying premium prices for depth players. It's especially simple when many of said players have expiring contracts.

Why is it that Chad LaRose can't be replaced by a league minimum player? And Jussi Jokinen, are you to tell me that we need to pay someone $3M to do whatever it is he does? Nobody in the league can be acquired to win face offs and float around for less? Jamie McBain at 2.5M, seriously?
I'm not against investing $2.5m in McBain, but the rest of this is spot on. LaRose needs to take a paycut in his next contract, plain and simple. He's 30 and not getting any more effective at this point. The last two deals were stretches, and there's no sense in doing it again.

Jussi simply isn't the right player for this team at this point. We need a replacement for Brandon Sutter. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing him for a defenseman this summer and taking our chances that a legit UFA 3C will want to be part of this roster.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:43 AM
CanesAvs16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm not against investing $2.5m in McBain, but the rest of this is spot on. LaRose needs to take a paycut in his next contract, plain and simple. He's 30 and not getting any more effective at this point. The last two deals were stretches, and there's no sense in doing it again.

Jussi simply isn't the right player for this team at this point. We need a replacement for Brandon Sutter. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing him for a defenseman this summer and taking our chances that a legit UFA 3C will want to be part of this roster.
JR should just let LaRose go and replace him with a guy from Charlotte.

Completely agree with your Jussi assessment.

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Panic at the Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
What a pass..
Holy Crap!

That was ridiculous!

Panic at the Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:22 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesAvs16 View Post
JR should just let LaRose go and replace him with a guy from Charlotte.

Completely agree with your Jussi assessment.

Jussi is UFA this summer. Take what you can get for him before the deadline. We're paying him $2m too much!

Same with LaRose. Dwyer is the better player....I'd keep him, unless someone offered me something useful for him too. All can be replaced by Bowman, Dalpe, etc eventually.

McBain? Hell no. We're paying him way more than he'll ever be worth. He's easily the worst player on this Canes blueline, and hasn't shown one ounce of improvement. I'd let him walk for the cost of a bus ticket. I'd rather have Sangs or Murphy!

Old
02-22-2013, 11:23 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic at the Back View Post
Holy Crap!

That was ridiculous!

Spectacular!

And Tlusty with the big finish!

Old
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Jussi is UFA this summer. Take what you can get for him before the deadline. We're paying him $2m too much!
Jussi is signed through next year. He isn't a UFA this summer.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:37 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Jussi is signed through next year. He isn't a UFA this summer.

Well ****!

LaRose is UFA this summer, I must have gotten the two cornfused. Good riddance to both, if JR can convince someone to take that failed reclamation.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Heres what we are on the hook for next season:

E. Staal - 8,250
T. Ruutu - 4,750
J. Staal - 6,000
J. Jokinen - 3,000
J. Tlusty - 1,600
J. Skinner - 5,725
J. Welsh - 0,850
K. Westgarth - 0,725
P. Dwyer - 0,900
D. Bowman - 0,600

J. Pitkanen - 4,500
T. Gleason - 4,000
J. McBain - 1,800
R. Murphy - 1,344
J. Faulk - 0,900
J. Harrison - 1,500

C. Ward - 6,300

--------------

10 F / 6 D / 1 G

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Heres what we are on the hook for next season:

E. Staal - 8,250
T. Ruutu - 4,750
J. Staal - 6,000
J. Jokinen - 3,000
J. Tlusty - 1,600
J. Skinner - 5,725
J. Welsh - 0,850
K. Westgarth - 0,725
P. Dwyer - 0,900
D. Bowman - 0,600

J. Pitkanen - 4,500
T. Gleason - 4,000
J. McBain - 1,800
R. Murphy - 1,344
J. Faulk - 0,900
J. Harrison - 1,500

C. Ward - 6,300

--------------

10 F / 6 D / 1 G
Is that number actual salary? Cap geek shows our cap payroll at 52.4 next year.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote