HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

At what point does Semin prove himself for a contract extension?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanginLikeaBiscuit View Post
Is that number actual salary? Cap geek shows our cap payroll at 52.4 next year.
That is actual Salary of each player for next season.

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Is that number actual salary? Cap geek shows our cap payroll at 52.4 next year.
Those are not actual salaries, but the total Misfit Semin lists adds up to 52.744. CapGeek adds in $125K for Joslin's buyout and does not include the bonus portion of the entry-level contracts in the "Cap payroll" total of $52.4 million.

Either way, the total is not the 59.244 he lists.

Actual salary:
E. Staal 9.25
Ruutu 5.00
J. Staal 6.00
Jokinen 3.00
Tlusty 1.70
Skinner 4.35
Welsh 1.00
Westgarth 0.75
Dwyer 0.90
Bowman 0.60

Pitkanen 4.50
Gleason 4.50
McBain 1.90
Murphy 0.925 (+ bonuses)
Faulk 0.89 (+ bonuses)

Ward 6.60

= 53.365M for the same players.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
That is actual Salary of each player for next season.
I think you might be looking at our cap payroll from this season. Cap geek shows our cap payroll at 52.4 for next season, and when I add up the actual salary I get about 53.5 (including Murphy and the Joslin buyout).

Was just trying to clear that up, the 59 number seemed pretty high without Semin on the books

EDIT: Thanks Chrispy, those were the numbers I saw. Got worried for a second that we were on the hook for 59, without Semin.

So if we budget 6 mil for Semin and 1 mil for a backup goalie, we've got a little under 5 to fill out our roster (Char, Wallace, Corvo, and Brent being the other UFAs).

Last edited by BanginLikeaBiscuit: 02-22-2013 at 01:10 PM.
BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Cap space for next season: $11,890,833

If we sign Semin at 5m.

6,890,833 left in space for 5F / 1D / 1G

If Rask is ready, that would leave us 6m for 4F / 1D / 1G

After next season, we will have $20,980,833(25 if no Semin at 5) in space to resign Tlusty and Faulk, plus room for M. Staal

I think next season will have 2 solid top lines if Skinner gets back to healthy, and about the Same D we have today.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

I missed something on my calculations

Old
02-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Beardy*

You guys also need to realize that CapGeek is also including more players than we'll actually have on the team next year with their calculation, because its including all the players who have been called up due to injury that won't necessarily reflect on the actual Cap hit next season.

Right now, out 2013-2014 salary is around $50M when you don't include the likes of Murphy, Welsh, Jordan, and Nash, who have all been called up in recent weeks.

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardy View Post
You guys also need to realize that CapGeek is also including more players than we'll actually have on the team next year with their calculation, because its including all the players who have been called up due to injury that won't necessarily reflect on the actual Cap hit next season.

Right now, out 2013-2014 salary is around $50M when you don't include the likes of Murphy, Welsh, Jordan, and Nash, who have all been called up in recent weeks.
Right. The rolling cap hit (daily tracker on capgeek) is more accurate since that only takes into account players for as many days as they're on the active roster. It varies from day to day what the hit is based on who's in and out of the 23 man roster.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:49 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Odds of rocky07 being related to Semin? I have to think so...
Nope. Just think he is a great player who has been treated very unfairly to say the least and feel sorry for the guy. IMO, he deserves his due respect and a new start. In a nutshell.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Beardy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Right. The rolling cap hit (daily tracker on capgeek) is more accurate since that only takes into account players for as many days as they're on the active roster. It varies from day to day what the hit is based on who's in and out of the 23 man roster.
Specifically, it including $2.2M in salaries to Murphy ($1.34M) and Welsh ($850k) that should not be factored in when you're calculating how much Cap room we have to work with next year, cause those players put us over the roster limit, and its unlikely either will be in Carolina next year.

Considering CapGeek shows that we currently have $11.8M in Cap room, when you factor in those excessive numbers, we actually have just over $14M in cap room to play with.

Assuming we can sign Semin for something around $5.5-6M per year, you're looking at $8-8.5M to sign 3 forwards, 2 defenseman, and a backup goaltender. If you assume Murphy plays with the team next year, thats $6.5-7M to sign 3 bottom-6 forwards, a d-man, and a backup goalie. Nowhere near the Cap Hell we're being led to believe.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:41 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yeah, the daily tracker is definitely the most accurate for the current season, but I was looking towards next season, so it doesn't really help in that regard.

And Jordan and Nash are RFAs, so they aren't factoring into that number. I also don't think it's that unlikely that Murphy is here full-time next year. I might have said that last week, but after playing 24 minutes and not looking terrible, JR will probably pencil him into our lineup. Welsh is the only real discrepancy I see there, so you're correct in that the number may be off by about 850k, giving us closer to 13m than 12m to work with. Regardless, I agree that we're not in as deep of a cap hell as people have been saying.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Yeah, the daily tracker is definitely the most accurate for the current season, but I was looking towards next season, so it doesn't really help in that regard.

And Jordan and Nash are RFAs, so they aren't factoring into that number. I also don't think it's that unlikely that Murphy is here full-time next year. I might have said that last week, but after playing 24 minutes and not looking terrible, JR will probably pencil him into our lineup. Welsh is the only real discrepancy I see there, so you're correct in that the number may be off by about 850k, giving us closer to 13m than 12m to work with. Regardless, I agree that we're not in as deep of a cap hell as people have been saying.
This is so true, it hurts.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
Nope. Just think he is a great player who has been treated very unfairly to say the least and feel sorry for the guy. IMO, he deserves his due respect and a new start. In a nutshell.
He is definitely getting his new start and due respect here in Raleigh, so I'm not sure what's wrong. You keep talking about the Canadian media, how they apparently buried him in Washington and NOW how they're ignoring him. What do you want them to say? That he's the second or third leading scorer on an average-to-above average team, in a market that typically does not receive a whole lot of coverage?

When is the last time there was this large Canadian-based focus on, say, TJ Oshie?

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Beardy*

Quote:

Alright, but even then, if you factor in that Murphy gets full time minutes here next year (which is a distinct possibility) then you're looking at having about $12.5M to resign 4 forwards and a healthy scratch. Sign Semin at 6 and thats $6.5M to spread out over 3 bottom 6 forwards and the healthy scratch.

And none of this factors in the possibility of buying out Ruutu and his $4.75M contract for someone who is not playing right now, missed 10 games last year, and has only had one season while with the Hurricanes where he was able to play a full 82 game schedule. If we were that desperate to make a move to improve the defense, the best move we can make is to buy him out, eat the cost outside of the cap, knowing the end result gain will end up bringing in more revenue in the future.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

I hope we see something like that. Our attendance has been up hugely this year - Raleigh has shown it will turn out when a competitive team is iced.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:22 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Alright, but even then, if you factor in that Murphy gets full time minutes here next year (which is a distinct possibility) then you're looking at having about $12.5M to resign 4 forwards and a healthy scratch. Sign Semin at 6 and thats $6.5M to spread out over 3 bottom 6 forwards and the healthy scratch.

And none of this factors in the possibility of buying out Ruutu and his $4.75M contract for someone who is not playing right now, missed 10 games last year, and has only had one season while with the Hurricanes where he was able to play a full 82 game schedule. If we were that desperate to make a move to improve the defense, the best move we can make is to buy him out, eat the cost outside of the cap, knowing the end result gain will end up bringing in more revenue in the future.
Not really arguing about the severity of the situation, I think we're on the same page there, was just trying to nail down an approximate number looking ahead to next year.

Agreed on the Ruutu front, while we could use his physicality, he does us no good in the press box at that price. I think there will be a market for him though, so I don't expect we'll have to go the buyout route. Hopefully we can move his contract out, and open up space for a Marc Staal or another defenseman. Like Troll Ward said, people will get over losing a "fan favorite" if we're winning.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Beardy*

Quote:
Not really arguing about the severity of the situation, I think we're on the same page there, was just trying to nail down an approximate number looking ahead to next year.

Agreed on the Ruutu front, while we could use his physicality, he does us no good in the press box at that price. I think there will be a market for him though, so I don't expect we'll have to go the buyout route. Hopefully we can move his contract out, and open up space for a Marc Staal or another defenseman. Like Troll Ward said, people will get over losing a "fan favorite" if we're winning.
Yeah, I didn't think you were trying to counter me... Was just playing off what you said.

And yeah. Ruutu would be great on the team right now, but the fact of the matter is, the 2nd line (while Skinner has been playing) was very good even without him, and I would say he has become expendable. It would stink to lose him, but at the same time, you have to think of it like this... Whats more valuable to this team... Semin at $5.5-6M per year, or Ruutu at $4.75M per year? There isn't even an argument.

Actually, now that I think about it, (bear with me as I think out loud) even if you factor in Ruutu coming back next year, that will in a way still free up more room because one of the guys dressing right now (and counting against the cap on CapGeek) won't be on the roster next season, or at the very least will be AHL and not counting against the Canes cap, so that should free up an additional $660k if you figure Bowman is back in the AHL, or will mean there is one less forward spot to fill in FA with the cap.

So instead of it being $6.5-7M to fill out 4 bottom 6 forwards, a healthy scratch, and a backup goalie, its actually only really 3 bottom-6 forwards, a healthy scratch, and a backup goalie. That should be easily do-able.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:25 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
He is definitely getting his new start and due respect here in Raleigh, so I'm not sure what's wrong. You keep talking about the Canadian media, how they apparently buried him in Washington and NOW how they're ignoring him. What do you want them to say? That he's the second or third leading scorer on an average-to-above average team, in a market that typically does not receive a whole lot of coverage?

When is the last time there was this large Canadian-based focus on, say, TJ Oshie?
You're right. I guess that it had bothered me so much and I didn't really have anywhere to vent. It's good to talk about him and I'm glad that he is doing well and is well liked in Raleigh. After all, that is why I became a fan of the Canes and joined this forum. I wanted to find out what you fans felt about him and get more info on him than I could via the Canadian media. I hope everything continues to go well. He deserves it. What I have found out about the team thus far, I like. Seems like he likes it there and I hope the Canes do everything they can to keep him. Good for both IMO.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:44 PM
TheBigKahuna

Problem with Ruutu and moving him ism he has a NTC.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
We won't be able to sign Semin for $5 million or less. I can say that with a pretty strong degree of confidence. I feel like it's going to take $6.5 if you want him for 3 years, perhaps 6 if you're willing to go longer than that.

People are really down on Ruutu because he had a bad year last year and then got hurt. When he is playing his game here and he's on, he's worth his deal. He's a 50-55 point per year player with a whole lot of jam to his game. We miss him more than most fans realize.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:21 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
People are really down on Ruutu because he had a bad year last year and then got hurt. When he is playing his game here and he's on, he's worth his deal. He's a 50-55 point per year player with a whole lot of jam to his game.

No he's not. His career average in points per season is closer to 40, around 42 if my calculations are correct. Ruutu has broken the 50 point barrier twice in his NHL career, and never passed 40 in any other season. He's overpaid, and highly overrated. His last season, he didn't even hit people....which was his biggest asset. And if you want to blame that on injury, that just gives me more ammo against the guy as being injury prone.

That's about as accurate as saying LaRose is a regular 20 goal winger!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:53 AM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

OK, strictly from a team perspective (not trying to be bias because I happen to really like Semin), what has he done thus far? Attendance is up. ES has had his best start and is flourishing. His stats are good and I can only see them improving (his advanced stats are amazing). What he has done for the team overall is undeniable. The Canes are leading the division. He likes it here. He is well liked by fans and teammates. The list goes on. Much will depend on him and I believe JR has a plan. IMO, you keep him because he is an integral part of this team and deal with the other needed parts as best you can. Without doubt, he stays and should get 6.5 for 3 yrs minimum, probably 5 years. With him this team is becoming great. Without him this team is average and mediocre. The test if there even truely ever was one is over. The proof is there. I understand the problems being a small market team but if you let him go, you lose an elite player that you have wanted and need. You should find a way to keep Semin and keep him happy. I know you guys believe that ES is "the" guy. However, another "guy" is there now and everyone should be glad for that and this team can become the team you have been hoping for.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:36 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
OK, strictly from a team perspective (not trying to be bias because I happen to really like Semin), what has he done thus far? Attendance is up. ES has had his best start and is flourishing. His stats are good and I can only see them improving (his advanced stats are amazing). What he has done for the team overall is undeniable. The Canes are leading the division. He likes it here. He is well liked by fans and teammates. The list goes on. Much will depend on him and I believe JR has a plan. IMO, you keep him because he is an integral part of this team and deal with the other needed parts as best you can. Without doubt, he stays and should get 6.5 for 3 yrs minimum, probably 5 years. With him this team is becoming great. Without him this team is average and mediocre. The test if there even truely ever was one is over. The proof is there. I understand the problems being a small market team but if you let him go, you lose an elite player that you have wanted and need. You should find a way to keep Semin and keep him happy. I know you guys believe that ES is "the" guy. However, another "guy" is there now and everyone should be glad for that and this team can become the team you have been hoping for.
He took a late penalty tonight leading to a comeback-killing, game-sealing TB PP goal. All that stuff you wrote has been negated.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Was tonight the first of many "Lazy Semin" appearances?

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:54 PM
CanesAvs16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
He was playing lazy, but the whole team was pathetically lazy.

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Hope not. Besides him getting knocked in the face with a puck, I hardly even saw him out there.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote