HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think we'll make the playoffs?

Old
07-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Snippit

vCash: 500
Do you think we'll make the playoffs?

Personally, I can see us finishing anywhere between third and seventh in the division.

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2016, 07:31 PM
TheStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Personally, I can see us finishing anywhere between third and seventh in the division.
No, I do not think we will this year but everyone else seems to be more optimistic then me.

TheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Jacob582

If our 4 goalies play to their potential we will have two playoff teams. If they play to their past ceiling then no playoffs.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2016, 07:39 PM
jc17

vCash: 90
I think it all hinges on the defense and if we'll be stuck in our own end all year.

No one scored much at even strength for us and I think it was less about offensive ability and more about defense not getting the puck out of our end.

jc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2016, 07:47 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Yes. If this group of forwards can't make the playoffs, yikes.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2016, 07:53 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc17 View Post
I think it all hinges on the defense and if we'll be stuck in our own end all year.

No one scored much at even strength for us and I think it was less about offensive ability and more about defense not getting the puck out of our end.
True. But Kulikov allows Gorges to be sheltered. And if Nelson can play right away, with Franson as the 7th d-man, that's 33% of our defense changed up right there. Ristolainen will be year older and more mature, Bogosian should enter the season healthy, and McCabe will have a full season in the NHL under his belt.

It's not maybe as big a name change as we desired, but I think the defense will be better this year.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Leelee Phoenix

vCash: 50
I'd bet against it, because the defense hasn't improved much. Playoffs will come, team is still very young.

Leelee Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2016, 07:54 PM
BananaSquad

Really it depends how much of a step Reinhart, Eichel, Risto and McCabe take in their development, which i expect to be huge next season.

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

It all depends on Lehner.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Eichel finishes 4th in the Hart voting and the Sabres finish 7th in the East.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 04:11 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Absolutely yes.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 04:41 AM
BiPolarBear

I think they should or come within a few points of it - unless Bylsma diddles away points in the first half of the season with his endless line juggling or our goaltending is sub-par. Lehner is terrible in the shootout, you blow 3 or 4 points there and that could be the difference.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 06:24 AM
Peter The Great

Goalie side is good enough I would say with upside to surprise.

I expect the Sabres to slowly develop into a Tampa Bay offensive first kind of team. Thus it will be a bit difficult judging the goalie performance in the future.

I wish that the Sabres get into the playoffs but extremely difficult to say in a team where the talanted core is young and unexperienced. Think Colorado... the Oilers etc.. question is if this young and unexperienced team is ready to deliver already next season?

The performance of the more experienced team members like Molson, Okopso and Kane will become increadibly important. ROR is my least concern even though he still is young, a great leading by example tough hard working player.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 06:39 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post

I expect the Sabres to slowly develop into a Tampa Bay offensive first kind of team. Thus it will be a bit difficult judging the goalie performance in the future.

I wish that the Sabres get into the playoffs but extremely difficult to say in a team where the talanted core is young and unexperienced. Think Colorado... the Oilers etc.. question is if this young and unexperienced team is ready to deliver already next season?

The performance of the more experienced team members like Molson, Okopso and Kane will become increadibly important. ROR is my least concern even though he still is young, a great leading by example tough hard working player.
Interest-piquing tidbit there, that you think the team is trending to offense first - only because it made me think of Miller in the co-cap days. He wasn't counted on much quantity wise, but he had to make big saves at key times, often on odd man rushes created by that attack-heavy team.

I enjoyed that beyond words. I know you all know how I felt about Campbell, but even beyond him, the D hopped up and joined the rush so often. It was captivating, addicting, pretty unique at the time, and made the fans put on a display as to how great of an atmosphere Buffalo is when the team wins.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 06:41 AM
Aladyyn
Pre-mortem epitaph

Hell yea

Aladyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Lehner healthy will help.

The rookies possibly growing further will help.

Balancing the defense with Kulikov over Pysyk will hep.

Knowing what FLG can do right from day 1 will help.

Small, incremental improvements in just a few areas and they are knocking on the door.

07-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Depends how long Lucic injures Risto for in the 2nd game of the season after he goes full meathead to impress his new team.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 01:58 PM
sabrebuild

Without a fowler type pickup, I think they make it and are 4-7 in the east. Probably lose in the first round. A learning year. I expect Eichel and Reinhart to have big jumps.

Forward depth is playoff quality.

Hope kulikov is enough to improve the defense overall. But I expect improvement for Risto after last year's role and the experience he gained.

I think lehner is plenty good enough. If he gets hurt, Ullmark better be ready.

Defense will need some luck to stay healthy.

I think they still get fowler. If so contender training begins.

sabrebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 02:02 PM
OkimLom

Too many question marks with the roster leads me not to get a definitive "yes" for this question.

How is the biggest wild card(Ennis)going to respond after so many games missed?

How prepared is Eichel going to be with more teams focusing on shutting him down?

Will Larsson line be able to provide much needed secondary scoring with ROR and Eichel getting the key matchups? Do we have enough bottom 6 talent to win games for us?

Will Moulson have any game left?

Has Risto improved enough his own end?

Who takes the 2nd pairing minutes? Gorges or McCabe?

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Sabres83

vCash: 191
Yeah, but I thought we would last season, too.

Sabres83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post

I think the offense-first team may not be the best way to go. I'd prefer up tempo, Chicago style. I think they have the offensive line depth to do it.

Transition from the defense out of the zone is the one remaining piece missing. Adding Kulikov frees up Ristolainen to roam and focus on transitioning. I think adding another puck-moving, possession defender is required.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 02:28 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

I'm not expecting too much of a jump for Risto play wise. He was straight up elite the 1st half of last season until Disco played him into the ground. Now that he's had a full season of playing 25+ minutes a night I'm hoping we can expect that level of play over the full course of a season.

I like our top 6, I like our depth. Middle pairing D is iffy, but we'll see how much of a jump McCabe makes and how consistent Bogosian is. If Gorges can be move down to the 3rd pairing where he belongs he'll be very effective there.

I think they make it as a wildcard this year and then be a top division team the year after that.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 02:44 PM
barcs

We'll finish 3rd in the division and put up a fight in round one but ultimately lose. They'll make a statement though.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Gras

Wild Card/Bubble

Gras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2016, 03:44 PM
boots electric

vCash: 50
boston will be worse
detroit will be worse
montreal will be worse, but may accumulate more points with a healthy carey price
ottawa will be treading water
toronto will be a little better, but not enough to be players in the division

assuming a healthy lehner, steady growth from the young guys, and improved D play, there's reasonable odds they slip into the division's #3 spot behind florida and tampa.

i think the wildcard race will be pretty competitive though, so here's hoping they can snag one of the three division spots. the isles are probably a little worse off than they were last year, as are the rags, but I expect philly, jersey, and (gut feeling) carolina to make decent jumps this year.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote