HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Pens eyeing Kulemin

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
What`s more, wasn´t it said last year that TO was one of the very last teams also in on Staal? For that to be true, you figure the least they would have offered would have been something with Kulemin + 1st, which would mean, that Shero already made the decision what he values higher, his 3C model or a third wheel for Malkin and Neal.
Burke gave up on Staal when it became apparent he was going to fly the coop after this season to sign with his bro. Shero never got to make the decision.

Burke can be quoted as saying "We didnt have a brother named Staal"

Old
02-06-2013, 06:36 PM
66-30-33

Niskanen for Kulemin is what i would do. Niskanen would be solid with the Leafs, most likely.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
What would Toronto fans say to Harrington + 1st + Kennedy

Old
02-06-2013, 06:38 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Maybe something around Harrington but I would not send any more than a 2nd with him. Any of the others I have seen mentioned like Morrow/Dumullion I don't think (and I would not want) RS would want to part with.

A deal maybe could get done but I don't see it. This rumor has been flying around, mainly Pens fans wanting him to play with Malkin, so long I just don't think there is much to it.
Lest people here forget, it was Andre Savard and Don Waddell who Shero sent to watch the Canes-Leafs game.

They weren't there for a vacation. As far as I can figure, it conceivably only was to look at one of four players: Jokinen (doubt it), MacArthur (possible but he'd be a plan C deadline target, not a guy you start scouting heavy now), Kessel (reasons should be obvious, and it's the type of deal that you don't put together in 15 minutes, meaning I can see them having been there for that), and Kulemin (obvious reasons).

TFP assumed it's Kulemin. If it is, then I think the offer is something centered around Maatta or Harrington plus (where the plus likely is Shero wanting to do a 2nd and Nonis wanting a 1st and there's effort to find a middle ground like Kennedy, Maatta, 2nd) OR something outside the box (maybe based around Niskanen, who's rediscovered and is now building on his rookie form but is currently out).

Question: What do Leafs fans (the ones who actually have watched him play in the last year) think of Niskanen? Are you sold on your defense after Phaneuf, Kosta, Liles, Gunnarrson, because Nisky is better than anything else you've got and probably is a 4/5 on your depth chart?

NOTE: All of this is fun, idle speculation. I wouldn't be stunned if Shero if Kessel is the main target, although I figure he'd wait to see how the market shakes out as top end impending UFA wingers do or do not become available closer to the deadline.

Old
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I would do that.

Old
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Niskanen for Kulemin is what i would do. Niskanen would be solid with the Leafs, most likely.
Leafs would pass. While Niskanen is a good player, Kulie is more important to us then he would be.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:40 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Outside of a 30 goal campaign, Kulemin has yet to do anything special. Not sure why he demands an "earth shatterring" offer.
Because the Leafs don't wanna move him.

People basing his value on stats clearly haven't seen him play. He fills a need for the Leafs and is arguably their most valued forward.

He looks great playing for Carlyle, Carlyle loves him... They have no reason to move him unless it fills a bigger need.

Maatta + 2nd does nothing for them. They drafted Rielly and Percy in the last 2 first rounds, and also got Matt Finn in the second round (35th) who was a projected first rounder..

If Shero wants to get Kulemin, offer the Leafs something they want. Honestly, I don't see anything in the Pens organization that they'd be willing to part with that appeals to the Leafs.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:41 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I suspect half the Leafs fans out there will think Niskanen, throw in on trade and say 'yuck'. I suspect that the ones in the know would see him as a 4/5 guy on par with Gunnarrson (slightly different skill sets, but both give you a comparably under-appreciated game) and better than anyone they've got outside of Phaneuf, Kosta, Liles, and Gunnar. How that shakes out in terms of value for Kulemin is a different question, but, when Niskanen returns for the Pens and Lupul for the Leafs, both players in theory are expendable bodies given the respective team rosters.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
While that's true, the problem is a lot of Leaf fans are using that very thing --- "He'll score 30 goals with Malkin" --- as evidence of his trade value being really high.

You can't on one hand scoff at folks for bringing up Kulemin's lack of goal scoring the past couple of seasons, but on the other talk about the kind of production with Malkin he'd have as a reason for his demanding a huge return.
well that's where you're wrong. i can absolutely scoff at it if it doesn't represent the value he brings to the leafs, which i might add is the only thing that matters in this conversation.

the point you are missing here is that kulemin is not for sale. if you want to make trade offers for him you have to understand most fans are going demand a high price and they will absolutely point to his 30 goal season as part of the equation. it doesn't mean he'll do it again, just that the potential is there and should be considered.

look no further than pens fans reactions to leafs fans asking for sutter if you can't wrap your head around this. to leafs fans, sutter is just another 3rd line center on their team. but he's a signifigant piece moving forward in the eyes of a pens fan. that's how leafs fans feel about kulemin so if you aren't willing to give up something that hurts your team moving forward, leafs fans proabably aren't interested in the slightest.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:45 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I suspect half the Leafs fans out there will think Niskanen, throw in on trade and say 'yuck'. I suspect that the ones in the know would see him as a 4/5 guy on par with Gunnarrson (slightly different skill sets, but both give you a comparably under-appreciated game) and better than anyone they've got outside of Phaneuf, Kosta, Liles, and Gunnar. How that shakes out in terms of value for Kulemin is a different question, but, when Niskanen returns for the Pens and Lupul for the Leafs, both players in theory are expendable bodies given the respective team rosters.
Not Lupul, MacArthur is the one who becomes expendable.

I like your analysis on Niskanen. He has looked good with Letang in what I've seen, I just don't know if that gets it done. They need shutdown D who can ease the load on Phaneuf.. I don't see Niskanen as that player.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:45 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Because the Leafs don't wanna move him.

People basing his value on stats clearly haven't seen him play. He fills a need for the Leafs and is arguably their most valued forward.

He looks great playing for Carlyle, Carlyle loves him... They have no reason to move him unless it fills a bigger need.

Maatta + 2nd does nothing for them. They drafted Rielly and Percy in the last 2 first rounds, and also got Matt Finn in the second round (35th) who was a projected first rounder..

If Shero wants to get Kulemin, offer the Leafs something they want. Honestly, I don't see anything in the Pens organization that they'd be willing to part with that appeals to the Leafs.
Only names that do anything for you right away are Kennedy and Niskanen.

I could see Harrington or Maatta being on the table.

Kennedy, Maatta, 2nd for Kumy or Kennedy, Maatta, 1st for Kumy, 2nd?

Old
02-06-2013, 06:47 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
overpayment by the Pens huge

harrington and a pick

Old
02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
NOTE: All of this is fun, idle speculation. I wouldn't be stunned if Shero if Kessel is the main target, although I figure he'd wait to see how the market shakes out as top end impending UFA wingers do or do not become available closer to the deadline.
Kessel is not a pending UFA. He have one more year after this season.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post

harrington and a pick
Harrington and a 1st would be fine for me. Or maybe Harrington and a 2nd. Whatever floats Toronto's boat out of those two.

Old
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post

harrington and a pick
Rather unnecessary seeing as we dont need or dont want Kennedy.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Not Lupul, MacArthur is the one who becomes expendable.

I like your analysis on Niskanen. He has looked good with Letang in what I've seen, I just don't know if that gets it done. They need shutdown D who can ease the load on Phaneuf.. I don't see Niskanen as that player.
No, Niskanen isn't a shut down guy. At worst, though, he'd be the 5th worst defenseman on the Leafs.

I do agree about MacArthur likely being the selection for expendable roster spot. My point really was that you could move Kumy. Heck, Lupul comes back, you could move Kessel.

Now, for ***** and giggles, if you were talking Kessel and Kumy, then TK, Bennett, Pouliot, Maatta or Harrington, 1st works for me.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Zero Pucks
Size matters

Quote:
What the hell are you smoking?

Old
02-06-2013, 06:51 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Kessel is not a pending UFA. He have one more year after this season.
You missed my point. What I was saying was that I'd be surprised if Shero pursues Kessel now without seeing how the trade market develops, if at all, to include high end UFA's (thinking Iginla, Perry).

Old
02-06-2013, 06:52 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
You're not a Leafs fan.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:54 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
No, Niskanen isn't a shut down guy. At worst, though, he'd be the 5th worst defenseman on the Leafs.

I do agree about MacArthur likely being the selection for expendable roster spot. My point really was that you could move Kumy. Heck, Lupul comes back, you could move Kessel.

Now, for ***** and giggles, if you were talking Kessel and Kumy, then TK, Bennett, Pouliot, Maatta or Harrington, 1st works for me.
If Kessel+Kulemin was on the table in a package, i'm sure Leafs could do better then that. But if somehow Shero got those 2, Pens would be set for YEARS! We could easily make room if we need to aswell, like bye Martin+Kunitz (that's like 10M right there). Leafs would be better off trading those 2 at drfat day for a top 5 pick+top prospect, and a roster player.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Just throwing stuff out there to see what Toronto would do.

Harrington + pick would be more realistic I think.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:57 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Rather unnecessary seeing as we dont need or dont want Kennedy.
well the leafs don't need kennedy's salary or general presence considering they have 3 better looking clones of kennedy, dear lord does that gentleman have a face for radio or what

Old
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Ugh, this will never go away ever. Just make this deal happen already, so that I do not have to hear about how Malkin and Kulemin braid each others hair anymore.

No Sutter for you though. Sorry.
No one forced you to enter this thread, or any other Kulemin to PIT thread for that matter. Sorry if we hurt your feelings though.

Old
Nizdizzle
"Add to Ignore List"

Leafs don't have the roster to trade Kulemin for lesser picks (X + Pick...etc). Leafs need high end talent, if they move Kulemin I strongly believe it will be in a Leafs package for a better player.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think Kulemin will be traded. Too important to the team. Core piece...etc

Old
sparxx87

Quote:

I just think Kulemin does too many things well. They need more players like him, they'd be foolish to trade him unless its a clear upgrade somewhere else.

No doubt the Pens would love Kessel, but I don't think he fits in the salary structure. IMO, they don't need a superstar with Crosby. Just a skilled top 6 player with high IQ and ability to finish. No that those players grow on trees, but the Pens won the cup because 3 lines could score. They were balanced and strong down the middle.

I still say Stempniak for 2nd is something Shero should explore.

Closed Thread