HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens eyeing Kulemin

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 03:06 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
mcclement sutter komarov makes a nice checking line
it wouldnt score much tho

Old
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I'm not sure of your read, but I'm in much the same situation - Pens fan married to a Leafs fan, watch at least some of every Leafs game and some Marlies games. I'm convinced that Rielly and Gardiner (though he's been pretty bad so far this year) will make an impact at the NHL level. Not sure of the rest. Holzer has been.... shaky.

edit:

I swear I didn't see where you said basically the same thing until I saw birddog quote that post at the bottom of this page. Sorry, wasn't trying to steal your thoughts.
Jake Gardiner has been bad this year? Since when?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
I'm not making things up. I believe you and some others were suggesting Dupuis for Kulemin+ which makes no sense for either team.

Burke already targeted Dupuis as a FA back in 2011. The reason being the skills he was looking for was his PK skillset, not his offensive skills.

Well that's great. You referring to him as 'Kumy' sounds a like you're as much an outsider to Leafs hockey as anyone else is who doesn't regularly follow the team.

Rielly is an excellent blueline prospect most teams would to have, a kind of prospect most teams don't have, and he's a cut above a lot of guys who are already prospects of draft picks. Some scouts believe he could very well be the best defenseman of the 2012 draft. Gardiner if he can return from injury is another fine young defenseman.

Blacker, Finn, and Percy are prospects...not great prospects but potentially NHL prospects who need some time to be developed. What is Morrow going to bring to the table that's not already in the Leafs defense corps when it is 100%? Not seeing the upside other than another body. And the Leafs don't need another body. Is he going to be pencilled in over Franson? Is he going to take minutes away from Liles, Phaneuf, Kostka? Gunarsson? Maybe you could argue Komisarek. Maybe you could argue Holzer. Maybe you could argue Fraser. But then who goes when Gardiner comes back, because Morrow won't be playing more minutes than a 100% healthy Gardiner. And he's not going to knock off Phaneuf, and he's not going to play over Gunarsson..I have doubts of him knocking off Kostka, because RC loves him. And RC also seems to be getting more comfortable with Franson as well, for his ability to put the puck on the net from the point. Does he play over Liles? A remote argument might be made there.

The Leafs have a logjam on the blueline anyways, and I don't think the need is for another defenseman. A legitimate number one defenseman maybe...but Maata and Morrow are not at this point suited to be prototypical #1 defenseman. At some point one of the above mentioned players will be moved, because it's too many contracts for defenseman, and not enough roster spots. That's why the Leafs don't need more defenseman.
Notice how non-fans always seem to claim how much they watch the Leafs, and that they watch them enough to gauge their players? I hope one day I'll have enough time to watch all Leaf games, along with the games of other NHL/AHL teams that I don't particularly care for.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Jake Gardiner has been bad this year? Since when?
Sorry, let me try to be more understanding of your feelings.

Jake Gardiner hasn't been as good at the NHL level (only 2 games this year, incredibly small sample) as he was last year.

But he's in AHL, so everything's good to go.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:10 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Notice how non-fans always seem to claim how much they watch the Leafs, and that they watch them enough to gauge their players? I hope one day I'll have enough time to watch all Leaf games, along with the games of other NHL/AHL teams that I don't particularly care for.
Did you not read what he said? He's watching because of his marital situation?

I sincerely hope negotiations are playing exactly like this thread, which has absolutely no impact on real life.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
As a Leafs fan, I'm not trading anyone unless it's for cheap...or fills an obvious need as a #1C or established #1G with a lot of gas left in the tank(and I am anti-Luongo).

I might entertain offers to let MacArthur go, because I don't see him as a long-term fit with the team, maybe even Kessel(for the right price)...or Komisarek or Liles. As for everyone else, I don't see a need to re-arrange the chairs...I like a lot of what this club looks like and the depth it has.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
The Saurus

Quote:

Jake Gardiner hasn't been as good at the NHL level (only 2 games this year, incredibly small sample) as he was last year.

No hurt feelings. Just questioning you as I've watched Jake all year in the AHL before his concussion and he was a top-five player in the AHL before the lockout. He also played very well in the NHL considering those were his first games back from concussion.

He's not in the AHL because he's bad. He's in the AHL because Randy felt other players would fill his role on the blue-line while he gets back up to speed in the AHL.

So once again, how has Jake Gardiner been bad?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
No hurt feelings. Just questioning you as I've watched Jake all year in the AHL before his concussion and he was a top-five player in the AHL before the lockout. He also played very well in the NHL considering those were his first games back from concussion.

He's not in the AHL because he's bad. He's in the AHL because Randy felt other players would fill his role on the blue-line while he gets back up to speed in the AHL.

So once again, how has Jake Gardiner been bad?
He's been good in the AHL. He was not playing like Jake Gardiner when he was in the NHL. I'm not saying he didn't have reasons, but that's actually reality, and why he's in the A getting back into "shape."

Questioning someone's ability to return to full speed immediately following a concussion isn't exactly insulting, especially coming from a fan base that has dealt with it as much or more than any other.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Kulemin would be more valuable to the Penguins than to the Leafs. Malkin, Neal and Kulemin would be devastating. Have to pay a premium Pens, give me Morrow/Harrington/Maata, or it don't Maata what you suggest *****!
Pens fans were content with giving you Maatta/Harrington + a pick, so i don't know where your aggression is coming from. it's not like we offered you Dylan Reese and a 3rd for Kulemin.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:

Hey Sugary-caffeine,

Gardiner played very well last year. Playing 75 games and putting up 30 points. Not something you easily dismiss. He was one of the few bright spots on the team. He was killing the AHL prior to his concussion in December.

He's had problems since then, because he has concussion issues. But he's a great skating defenseman who makes very good puck decisions and has a great shot.

He's only in the AHL because he's there for conditioning issues and recovery issues. He's only struggled in the NHL this year because of his concussion issues.

The more you post the less intelligent and informed you seem about the NHL, the AHL and especially the Leafs.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Great, now that we've established you are closeted fairweather bandwagon Leafs fan, who is calling Kulemin 'Kumy' this makes you justified to: now be 'in the know,' I'm going to call you Miggylie. Deal?
You mean I don't drink the same Kool-Aid as you about the Leafs and their bevy of sick ass blueline prospects? I want them to do well so my wife and friends are happy, outside of that, I honestly couldn't care less if they win or lose.

I also could give two left balls if it bothers you how I spell, Kumy.

Did you think I wanted to be anointed in to some Leafs fan club by you?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
He's been good in the AHL. He was not playing like Jake Gardiner when he was in the NHL. I'm not saying he didn't have reasons, but that's actually reality, and why he's in the A getting back into "shape."
He was great in the AHL. One of the best defenders in the entire league.

The fact that he is not in the NHL has more to do with conditioning and timing rather than skill or a lack of abilities. He's still the same player that he was last year, if not better.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Hey Sugary-caffeine,

Gardiner played very well last year. Playing 75 games and putting up 30 points. Not something you easily dismiss. He was one of the few bright spots on the team. He was killing the AHL prior to his concussion in December.

He's had problems since then, because he has concussion issues. But he's a great skating defenseman who makes very good puck decisions and has a great shot.

He's only in the AHL because he's there for conditioning issues and recovery issues. He's only struggled in the NHL this year because of his concussion issues.

The more you post the less intelligent and informed you seem about the NHL, the AHL and especially the Leafs.
?????????????????????????????????????????

What are you talking about? I said he was a sure thing and said my only issue has been post concussion.

And you keep referring to me as high strung.

Some of you are really making use of this whole anonymity thing, I can't imagine you'd be this irrationally aggressive and mindless in person.

Quote:
He was great in the AHL. One of the best defenders in the entire league.

The fact that he is not in the NHL has more to do with conditioning and timing rather than skill or a lack of abilities. He's still the same player that he was last year, if not better.

which is actually addressed in the part of my post you chose to ignore?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Ominous Grey

This deal just doesn't look possible.

It won't happen unless Toronto decides they want prospects/defense. Which they apparently don't.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Yes. Or even has a 2C for that matter
that's because Sutter, at his best, is a great shutdown 3C. he's not offensive enough to be a 2C, let alone a 1C, even if it's on a team with less center depth.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:25 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
?????????????????????????????????????????

What are you talking about? I said he was a sure thing and said my only issue has been post concussion.

And you keep referring to me as high strung.

Some of you are really making use of this whole anonymity thing, I can't imagine you'd be this irrationally aggressive and mindless in person.

which is actually addressed in the part of my post you chose to ignore?
Hell hath no fury like a Leafs fan scorned about his team's prospects.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:28 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Rielly and Gardiner (if his recent concussion doesn't become a recurring problem) are the only two completely legit guys.

Blacker was pretty decent before he got hurt in the playoffs last season. He is the most solid of the big four on the farm in his own end.

Finn needs to get A LOT stronger and his skating needs work. He is a tweener who is undersized, but isn't a smooth skating blueliner who is going to light up the pros. So he has to really bulk up and improve his skating to carve out a defensive minded niche in the pros if he wants to stick.

Percy is a solid blueliner who could top out as maybe a #4, he is a pretty smooth kid. He has had his season derailed with a number of injuries this year and unfortunately suffered yet another concussion. As a Leafs fan, it would make me nervous. Hopefully it is something he can overcome.

The Leafs have some nice prospects on the blueline, but those fans acting like they have this incredible farm of blueliners and don't need anymore, need a reality check.
i dont disagree with you that any D prospects could be good, and could be flipped, we just want the best one.

however, im not to worried about finn, ive watched him and he fell a lot and idk why, he looks really good, not even close to as good as rielly but very good for a 2nd rounder. Blacker has been playing well.

I dont like the notion of not taking prospects because there not of a need, u can always flip players of equal value aka aulie for ashton or schenn for jvr, we just want good prospects whatever the position.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
This deal just doesn't look possible.

It won't happen unless Toronto decides they want prospects/defense. Which they apparently don't.
Leafs have a lot of depth, not much quality.

Potential 1st Pair - Rielly...
Potential 2nd Pair - Gardiner, Finn, Percy (all of them are big question marks)
Potential 3rd Pair - Holzer, Blacker (Holzer looks good to go, Blacker still not sure what we have in him)

Leafs don't have too many d-specs at all.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
Pens fans were content with giving you Maatta/Harrington + a pick, so i don't know where your aggression is coming from. it's not like we offered you Dylan Reese and a 3rd for Kulemin.
Kulemin for Harrington/Maata + 1st 2013

Done. Let's do it Pens, fair deal.

Kule scores 30+ guaranteed on a line with Malkin.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:

Thats what i have been suggesting, a prospect of that ilk and the 2013 1rst.

I'm not basing this on what i want, i'm trying to figure out, what would motivate DN to want to trade NK, seeing how i believe NK is not top on DN want to move list.

Thats it, thats all.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Thats what i have been suggesting, a prospect of that ilk and the 2013 1rst.

I'm not basing this on what i want, i'm trying to figure out, what would motivate DN to want to trade NK, seeing how i believe NK is not top on DN want to move list.

Thats it, thats all.
Maata and a late 1st is perfect

Old
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Quote:

I really want to believe he's worth that much. You put another 30 goal season together with an extention on his existing contract and I'd be all over it.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:

Harrington and a late 1st instead of Maatta?

Old
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i dont disagree with you that any D prospects could be good, and could be flipped, we just want the best one.

however, im not to worried about finn, ive watched him and he fell a lot and idk why, he looks really good, not even close to as good as rielly but very good for a 2nd rounder. Blacker has been playing well.

I dont like the notion of not taking prospects because there not of a need, u can always flip players of equal value aka aulie for ashton or schenn for jvr, we just want good prospects whatever the position.
Finn fell because of his size and he isn't a great skater.

I'm not knocking the Leafs prospects, just giving an unbiased opinion.

I really like Gardiner and hope his concussion isn't an issue. He brings a much needed impact to the Leafs transition game.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Did you not read what he said? He's watching because of his marital situation?

I sincerely hope negotiations are playing exactly like this thread, which has absolutely no impact on real life.
I read it. Random internet posters say many things when they're trying to establish their credibility in an argument. People with jobs, a marriage, etc. generally don't have the time to regularly watch two NHL teams, an AHL team, along with WHL and OHL games. Not to mention the amount of time that posting here takes. Not unless they dedicate massive amounts of what free time they have to it.

Closed Thread