HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens eyeing Kulemin

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
To be fair, i'm sure there have been some Pens fans that are guilty of starting Kulemin threads as well. The leafs do have decent depth on D, but to suggest they dont need any more quality D prospects, is ridiculous. Kulemin is my favourite player, and would hate to see him go. I do think he may end up leaving to Pitt durring UFA, and personally, Matta plus a first, or Morrow IMHO is fair value. Morrow, Matta and the first are all not guarantee's that they will be NHLers. let alone good ones. Kulemin is the sure thing here, and is very much valued by the Leafs.
Among most reasonable fans of both teams, the hang up here is Maatta + 1st is what Leafs fans want and Maatta + 2nd is where Pens fans are at.

Now, in a case like that, if Nonis really likes the idea of a Maatta type of return, then I'd think there might be a middle ground to make something happen.

BTW, I think I can speak for all Pens fans in saying that Morrow won't happen.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Among most reasonable fans of both teams, the hang up here is Maatta + 1st is what Leafs fans want and Maatta + 2nd is where Pens fans are at.

Now, in a case like that, if Nonis really likes the idea of a Maatta type of return, then I'd think there might be a middle ground to make something happen.

To each their own. Nobody can say with certainty that Morrow will be a better player than Kulemin, he could be a good player but that has yet to be determined. Either way, if Kulemin is traded to the Pens, they get a very good player, who will no doubt help their team, and likely haunt the Leafs for a very long time.

Last edited by spiny norman: 02-08-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: corrected [/B][/QUOTE]
Old
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
To each their own. Nobody can say with certainty that Morrow will be a better player than Kulemin, he could be a good player but that has yet to be determined. Either way, if Kulemin is traded to the Pens, they get a very good player, who will no doubt help their team, and likely haunt the Leafs for a very long time.
PP QB is a big need for the Pens moving forward. Thats why we dont think they will trade Morrow

Old
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Quote:

Whether or not Morrow becomes better isn't the issue. I wasn't arguing that. I was saying that Shero won't move him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
PP QB is a big need for the Pens moving forward. Thats why we dont think they will trade Morrow
And now too.

Last edited by spiny norman: 02-08-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: corrected [/B][/QUOTE]
Old
02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
Doesn't Despres and Matta, and Pouliot fall into that category?

Old
02-08-2013, 10:48 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Doesn't Despres and Matta, and Pouliot fall into that category?
Despres? Nope, not a PP QB; Maatta? Nope, maybe Pouliot though

Old
02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Despres? Nope, not a PP QB; Maatta? Nope, maybe Pouliot though
I can tell you Mark Hunter absolutely raved about Maata and said during the draft last year, he will be a very good NHLer down the road.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
I can tell you Mark Hunter absolutely raved about Maata and said during the draft last year, he will be a very good NHLer down the road.
He might be the best two-way D prospect we have in the system. If he keeps developing, he has a chance to be a good solid pro for many years. I was stunned he was still on the board with pittsburgh's second first round pick in 2012.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Thanks for the tidbit.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Personally I think Harrington will have a better NHL career , but that's just opinion .

Old
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Honest question here. Kulie has been held pointless in his last 4 games, while being a minus 2 during that stretch. I understand he is more of a defensive forward, but is this typical that he goes stretches without garnering a point?

Old
02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Honest question here. Kulie has been held pointless in his last 4 games, while being a minus 2 during that stretch. I understand he is more of a defensive forward, but is this typical that he goes stretches without garnering a point?
Yes. However, its rarely a game that goes by where he isn't creating chances and scoring opportunities. There hasn't been a game this year where Kulemin hasn't looked dangerous. Being -2 isn't surprising considering he is our shutdown line.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Yes. However, its rarely a game that goes by where he isn't creating chances and scoring opportunities. There hasn't been a game this year where Kulemin hasn't looked dangerous. Being -2 isn't surprising considering he is our shutdown line.
Take out the Pittsburgh game, where he had 3 assists and was a +3, and Kulie actually has 1 goal, 2 assists, and is a -5 in the 10 other games.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Take out the Pittsburgh game, where he had 3 assists and was a +3, and Kulie actually has 1 goal, 2 assists, and is a -5 in the 10 other games.
Do you even watch Leafs games or ?

Old
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Thanks. Has he been primarily getting third line minutes? From what you see what are his strengths/weaknesses?

Old
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Yes, Kulemin has looked dangerous all year. That's never been his problem. How many games this year has he actually translated how he looks? Pittsburgh and Washington definitely. Not sure how many others qualify.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't understand where he is coming from, but I do. He makes a point too.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:34 PM
calcal798

Quote:
He is the guy I would want (other then Morrow) coming back in a trade for Kuli. Him plus a 2nd that turns into a first if you guys make the SCF.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Thanks. Has he been primarily getting third line minutes? From what you see what are his strengths/weaknesses?
He typically plays on the 2nd line with Grabovski, our shutdown line.

Strengths:
- Compete level, even when he isn't producing this is a guy your fans are going to love (well, if he's traded). There's a reason he's such a fan favorite even after a 7 goal season.
- Works well in dirty areas and in traffic, he's a physical player not in the sense that he throws monster hits but he's great in close.
- Defensive play, he's just a very smart positional player and always seems to be in the right place. Same goes for in the offensive zone, it's why he's great at scoring garbage goals.

Look at how he scored most of his goals in his 30 goal campaign, it's from being in the right spot.

Weaknesses:
- Has a tendency to disappear offensively for stretches, I'm not sure if it's mental or what, I suppose some of it has to do with getting the bounces because he scores a lot of garbage goals.
- Not very creative with the puck and not much of a passer, he makes safe plays because he's smart but he'll rarely amaze you with his passing ability.
- Not much of a threat outside, every once in a while he'll wow you with a wicked shot but in general he does his best work near the net.

I'd hate to see Kulemin wearing another sweater but I do think he'd be perfect for Pittsburgh.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
calcal798

Quote:
He's been playing well, just doesnt have the points to show for it. Him and Grabo had been playing with Mcclement on the other wing, I believe in the Pittsburgh game they had JvR, a little bit of a difference there.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
the leafs in general have had trouble scoring goals this season. i think they are going through a big adjustment from coming from wilsons "system" to carlyle.

carlyle has also been using mclemment-grabs-kulemin as a checking line against other teams top lines so they havent really been focusing on offense.

nothing against the proposals that pens fans have been floating around because in a value sense they seem reasonable but the leafs have many defensive prospects who project to be as good or better then matta, harrington, etc, etc. what the leafs dont have are centers and gritty defensively responsible forwards. i think if nonis was looking to move kulemin he would want a forward back and if he couldnt get one then he would want draft picks. something like a 1st 2013 and a 2nd in 2014 for kulemin and a late round pick. we could take back a little salary if its an issue cap wise.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Pancakes

Blah. As a Pens fan if we're spending a first round pick + Maatta I'd rather get an elite offensive player than Nikolai Kulemin.

I mean jesus. The Pens paid less of a price for James the real deal Neal than what Leafs fans are asking for Kulemin, and Neal was younger and more or just as proven at the time of the trade, and an RFA to boot.

How is it that people think Nikolai Kulemin is worth two first round picks? If that truly is the price, I want no part of that. Massive massive overpayment. I'd like for someone to name me one player similar to Kulemin who has garnered that type of return in recent memory.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Blah. As a Pens fan if we're spending a first round pick + Maatta I'd rather get an elite offensive player than Nikolai Kulemin.

I mean jesus. The Pens paid less of a price for James the real deal Neal than what Leafs fans are asking for Kulemin, and Neal was younger and more or just as proven at the time of the trade, and an RFA to boot.

How is it that people think Nikolai Kulemin is worth two first round picks? If that truly is the price, I want no part of that. Massive massive overpayment. I'd like for someone to name me one player similar to Kulemin who has garnered that type of return in recent memory.
Don't worry Shero would never do that kind of deal. He didn't even give up that much to get Hossa!

Old
02-08-2013, 01:00 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Don't worry Shero would never do that kind of deal. He didn't even give up that much to get Hossa!
You still gave up a first and some prospects for Hossa and Kulimen wouldn't be a rental. It'd be a trade to get the other winger to play alongside Malkin and Neal to make one of the most dominant lines in hockey.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
You still gave up a first and some prospects for Hossa and Kulimen wouldn't be a rental. It'd be a trade to get the other winger to play alongside Malkin and Neal to make one of the most dominant lines in hockey.
Sure, Kulemin would not be a rental. He also would not be Hossa. I know you did not originally make it, but that comparison is not going to be helpful at all.

Closed Thread