HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Phenomenon13

vCash: 500
With so many right handed shooting defensemen, do any of DOughty, Pietrangelo, Weber, letang, etc... have any experience playing on their "offside". If not i strongly urge Canada to take 3 Left handed defensemen instead. Perhaps, Hamhuis, Staal, Keith?

Old
02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
My lineup:

Jeff Skinner -- Sidney Crosby 'C' -- Steven Stamkos
John Tavares -- Claude Giroux -- James Neal
Eric Staal -- Jonathan Toews 'A' -- Rick Nash 'A'
Jamie Benn -- Patrice Bergeron -- Tyler Seguin
Jordan Eberle
Logan Couture

Shea Weber 'A' -- Drew Doughty
Dan Hamhuis -- Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Kieth -- Brent Seabrook
Dan Girardi -- Kris Letang

Price
Luongo
Ward

Close cuts:
Forward: Martin St Louis, Patrick Sharp, Jordan Staal, Taylor Hall
Defence: Marc Staal, Michael Del Zotto, Brian Campbell

Some notes:
- I have Jeff Skinner on this team because he is a puck hound and a scorer who actually has the hockey IQ to keep up with Sidney Crosby.
- Giroux and Tavares is another combo I like. JT has shown the ability to play wing on big ice, and him and Giroux are masters with the puck in tight spaces, and with them you put our best pure sniper right now after Stamkos, James Neal
-Eric Staal played the wing in Vancouver, and I think he skating is good enough to do the same in Sochi, playing a Mike Richards esque role along with Nash and Toews.
- Tyler Seguin will be flying on international ice, and he is a guy who youd think starts with Bergeron his teammate, but could definitely rise to the top 6.
- Eberle is the 13th forward, Couture would be the 14th, as he can play virtually any role.
- On defence, I love the simple game of Dan Hamhuis, and he is a left defenceman, something we are short on.
- Dan Girardi I think can handle big ice, but he would be my 8th defenceman anyways, so he probably wouldnt play unless Seabrook or Weber got hurt. Letang is the 7th defenceman, my top PP QB, and the guy you plug on a pair when you need offence
I like that you made a different kind of team, and the reasons are pretty logical. I can see Skinner as a good fit with Crosby as he could score while still allowing Crosby to dominate the puck, but who knows. I'm not convinced on Neal yet, but at least he knows how to complement elite players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
I don't think that Canada's roster "blows away every other country's". I would say that Sweden might have the same level of goal-tending and a better set of D-men than Canada. With that said, Canada might have a better team taken its forwards, but it is far from "blowing away".
Canada's roster is far more talented than the roster from every other country. That doesn't mean that Canada is even a big favourite in a one game elimination tournament though. As far as the Swedish defence, 2018 is their year. Canada's defence is already set, Sweden's is still developing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
There isn't any competition for Canada in 2014, there roster blows away every other country's. I think it may actually be worse than the competition gap between USA basketball and the rest. If Canada were to lose, it'd be one of the biggest upsets in history.
Canada isn't near as good as USA basketball, and it wouldn't be a massive upset if they lose in 2014. There is a lot of lucky in any individual hockey game, and basically any country at the Olympics has a shot to beat Canada.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Swep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swep View Post
Sweden

Sedin - Sedin (A) - Landeskog
Eriksson - Zetterberg (C) - Franzén
Steen - Bäckström - Silfverberg
Hagelin - Berglund - Stålberg
Johansson/Krüger

Karlsson - Hedman
OEL - Kronwall (A)
Enström - Edler
Brodin/Larsson

Lundqvist
Lindbäck
Fasth

Not sure how the lines a D-pairings would work, but luckily that's not my job to decide. These are the players I'd like to see if I had to pick a team today.
Could very well turn out to be our greatest team ever. Probably can't match the 2006 teams offense, but the defence and goalkeeping is absolutely stacked.
Anything but a gold medal is a disappointment.
Meh, how did this end up in the Canada thread? Pretty sure that's not where I put it

Old
02-08-2013, 07:34 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I like that you made a different kind of team, and the reasons are pretty logical. I can see Skinner as a good fit with Crosby as he could score while still allowing Crosby to dominate the puck, but who knows. I'm not convinced on Neal yet, but at least he knows how to complement elite players.

Canada's roster is far more talented than the roster from every other country. That doesn't mean that Canada is even a big favourite in a one game elimination tournament though. As far as the Swedish defence, 2018 is their year. Canada's defence is already set, Sweden's is still developing.

Canada isn't near as good as USA basketball, and it wouldn't be a massive upset if they lose in 2014. There is a lot of lucky in any individual hockey game, and basically any country at the Olympics has a shot to beat Canada.
About my post, the thing about Neal is that he has that ability to score from anywhere when he is standing still. I cant think of two better no-look passers than Giroux and Tavares, and Neal would be the guy to finish.

I agree completely with your other two paragraphs. I still hold that the best pound-for-pound hockey nation is Sweden when you consider their population is 28% of Canadas.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:26 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

Alright, I always have a lot of fun with this. It's really amazing, some of the turnaround. Guys from the last Olympics on many of the teams who were considered "locks" for another 2 or 3 tournaments, all of a sudden vanishing. That's hockey, I suppose.

Claude Giroux - Sidney Crosby (C) - Steven Stamkos
John Tavares - Jonathan Toews (A) - Jordan Eberle
Rick Nash - Eric Staal - Tyler Seguin
Jamie Benn - Patrice Bergeron - Corey Perry
[Jarome Iginla, Martin St. Louis)

Shea Weber (A) - Drew Doughty
Duncan Keith - Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Hamhuis - Kris Letang
[Dan Girardi, Michael del Zotto)

Carey Price
Roberto Luongo
Corey Crawford

- we have to keep in mind that there is a distinct possibility of some of these guys being hurt. I remember there were a few playerrs from each nation who were unable to attend due to injury, so having an injury replacement or two (three? five?) ready, invites even more guys into the conversation
- just missing the cut for me are Patrick Sharp, Joe Thornton, James Neal, Marc Staal, Sheldon Souray & Cam Ward

Old
02-08-2013, 10:11 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
About my post, the thing about Neal is that he has that ability to score from anywhere when he is standing still. I cant think of two better no-look passers than Giroux and Tavares, and Neal would be the guy to finish.
Possibly. Chemistry is always an issue for Canada, and a big part of that is that so many guys are used to dominating the puck on their own NHL teams. Guys like Skinner and Neal are scorers who don't need to possess the puck for long periods of time, which is nice.

For that reason, I'm thinking that Stamkos is the most valuable forward Canada has. Canada has more elite puck playmaking centres than the rest of the word combined. Having a guy like Stamkos who is absolutely an elite scorer and can strike so quickly with barely any possession time is going to be key with guys like Crosby, Giroux and Tavares hanging around.

Quote:
I agree completely with your other two paragraphs. I still hold that the best pound-for-pound hockey nation is Sweden when you consider their population is 28% of Canadas.
Looking at talent per capita, it's easily between Sweden and Canada. Canada has the edge at forward easily, Sweden has the edge at defending most likely (definitely in the years to come) and goaltending is actually close when you look at who is behind Lundqvist.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Calirose

Jeff Skinner -- Sidney Crosby 'C' -- Steven Stamkos
John Tavares -- Claude Giroux -- James Neal
Eric Staal -- Jonathan Toews 'A' -- Rick Nash 'A'
Jamie Benn -- Patrice Bergeron -- Tyler Seguin
Jordan Eberle
Logan Couture
Joe Thornton
Patrick Marleau
Jarome Iginla
RNH
Hall
St. Louis
Couture
Perry
Getz
**** this is hard!

Shea Weber 'A' -- Drew Doughty
Dan Hamhuis -- Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Kieth -- Brent Seabrook
Dan Girardi -- Kris Letang
P.K. Subban

Price
Luongo
Ward
MAF

Last edited by Calirose: 02-08-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 03:14 AM
Smokey McCanucks

It's way too early for a lot of this speculation, like who will play where, or some of the borderline spots. Better to ask, who are the locks?

Crosby is obviously the biggest lock of all. Stamkos, St. Louis, Toews, Bergeron, locks at forward. Defence looks fairly settled with Weber, Pietrangelo, Keith, and Doughty locks for sure. Luongo has to be a lock after winning last time, although not necessarily a lock for starter. Brodeur will be there unless he's retired or declines the spot, which he might, not likely though.

That leaves:
one or two goalie spots (Price, Fleury, Ward, Elliot, Smith) and of course you can't count out whoever's on fire just then;

two starting D spots and some reserves (Seabrook, Letang, Girardi, Green, Schultz, Boyle, Staal, Bouwmeester, Subban, Hamilton, Campbell);

and a whole whack of forward spots (Iginla, Giroux, Marleu, Thornton, Perry, Getzlaf, Nash, Eberle, Staal, Tavares, Benn, Hall, RNH, Briere, Spezza, Lecavalier, Couture) and any number of guys who could take "the next step" between now and decision time.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:01 AM
SnowblindNYR

Do you guys think that goaltending may be Canada's weakness? Price is excellent but he's a little behind Quick and Lundqvist, IMO.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:34 PM
skroonk2002*

Why not a single mention of Kane, Lucic, or Marchand?

A lot of media outlets and people are putting together their Team Canada 2014 teams right now, with Sochi only a year away.

How come Evander Kane, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand are getting no mentions by anyone?

All I see is a bunch of teams that have pure scorers listed lines 1-4, and most of the scorers listed as finesse players. You can't build a team like that though. You need to have some players who know how to play defense and are physical.

What point is there in taking a pure offensive/finesse player for the 4th line?

You can't have 14 chiefs up front. You need to have some indians too.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
BruinsBtn

There is some talk about it.

Of those three, Marchand should be getting a look. He's as good in his own zone and on the PK as Bergeron IMO.

But he's still a longshot.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This is actually a pretty good point -- they're not going to run 4 high-octane scoring lines. I fully expect Marchand in particular to get a shot.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Puckgenius*

marchand and Lucic would be in a 4th line role. They would be out there to muck things up and draw penalties.

I would like to see Kane make it, hes very underrated and has unreal speed.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:44 PM
MikeModano9

I say because players like toews, Benn and bergeron can play those hard defensive minutes and yet still score at a high pace. But by next year who knows maybe they take a look at Marchand or Lucic, I think Kane will have to beat out guys like Benn which can very well happen by selection time.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:45 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

vCash: 50
As a Jets fan I don't think Kane will make it. He has the work ethic, a decent shot, and gives it every shift. The problem is he plays too selfish. He's not elite to get away with it either.

If he gets the puck within 50 feet of the net, he's going to shoot no matter what. Even if there's 4 defenders in front of him.

But a lot can happen over the next year.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:46 PM
danyhabsfan

You need fast players on big ice.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:48 PM
HoseEmUp

No Lucic, please.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:49 PM
FlyingPantherExtreme

Had all three of these guys on my team in the other thread. Marchand should be there no doubt

Old
02-09-2013, 01:13 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroonk2002 View Post
A lot of media outlets and people are putting together their Team Canada 2014 teams right now, with Sochi only a year away.

How come Evander Kane, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand are getting no mentions by anyone?

All I see is a bunch of teams that have pure scorers listed lines 1-4, and most of the scorers listed as finesse players. You can't build a team like that though. You need to have some players who know how to play defense and are physical.

Because it's an international tournament on big ice.

Lucic is way too slow, and along with Marchand...those two are just way too much of a penalty risk with international officiating. Not to mention, the 'power game' of a guy like Lucic would be fairly useless in this sort of tournament.

Lucic and Kane aren't exactly defensive stalwarts either, and while most of the guys we're likely to take are 'scorers' on their own teams...they're all generally very sound defensively in their own right. Being 'big' and 'tough' doesn't really give Lucic or Kane an edge defensively, especially in a tournament like this.

Basically...those players aren't a fit for this type of tournament, and there are 13 or more players who are quite simply a lot better than them.

Kane i could see potentially getting a shot, depending how he develops and rounds out his game...and attitude. But Lucic would be a waste of a spot lumbering slowly around the big ice taking penalties, and Marchand just isn't good enough, and would likely end up spending too much time in the box for his shenanigans to justify him being there for that 'edge' he might bring.

With guys like Richards, Perry, even Nash, Getzlaf, Staal, etc. likely going...the team isn't going to be a bunch of pushovers. Even our alleged 'soft/finesse' players like Crosby, Giroux, etc. aren't afraid to stand up for themselves and mix it up in the physical play.

We don't need some knuckledraggers to 'intimidate' other teams.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Mully

I agree about Lucic, but they should bring marchand just in case they play Sweden.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:00 PM
VC

The Olympics isn't the type of game or size of ice where Lucic would be at his best.

I would think that the Brad Marchands and Alex Burrows would get a look as they are speedy two-way grinder type wingers. Though there is already the likes of Nash, Benn, Toews, Bergeron, M.Richards, E.Stall that can play the two-way game will bringing it offensively.

Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - Steve Stamkos
Eric Stall - Jonathan Toews - Patrice Bergeron
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Tavares - Claude Giroux
Patrick Marleau - Joe Thornton - Corey Perry
x. Mike Richards, Jordan Eberle

Marc Stall - Drew Doughty
Duncan Keith - Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Hamhuis - Shae Weber
x. Kris Letang

Carey Price
Roberto Luongo
Fleury/Ward/???

Old
02-09-2013, 02:14 PM
JackSlater

Quote:

Kane gets mentioned as a long shot from time to time. He's a good skater and decent physically, but he's not a particularly good defensive player. He was good at the WCs last year, but his showing in the KHL was terrible. Definitely a long shot, and it helps that he's a natural LW.

Lucic has no place at the Olympics. He's not agile enough, and his style of play would would see him racking up penalty minutes due to the moronic way that many international refs make calls. Canada has better plays with scoring ability and grit who won't even make the team.

Marchand would probably be a good player internationally, solid in all facets of the game and a good skater, but he's just not good enough for Canada. It is also questionable how the refs would react to the way he plays. Canada's role players are guys like Toews and Bergeron.

If you are complaining about pure finesse type players on the fourth lines, you should take a look at projected rosters for other countries as well. The talent is there to put elite players throughout the team, this isn't a middling NHL team that needs to fall into traditional top 6, bottom 6 roles. Canada will have enough defensive ability and grit from the players selected.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:20 AM
RacMan93

I was talking to stevie the other day and this is what they have in mind.

stamos-crosby-st-louis
marleau-giroux-tavares
nash-toews-richards
hall-bergeron-eberle
seguin and e staal

Old
02-10-2013, 02:12 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:

I know right? Toews, Seguin, Couture, Staal, Richards, Bergeron, Benn, etc. (listing potential players...) are FAR worse than......... Evander Kane, Milan Lucic and Brad Marchand............

Old
02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Puckgenius*

Letang is too good offensively to have as a 7th D. Anyone who thinks this guy wont be in the top 6 is out to lunch, he will most likely be in the top 4. I would put Hamhuis as 6th and Seas as 7th

Closed Thread