HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 01:33 AM
sabresEH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Only other names I can really think of are Couture, Perron, and RNH up front, and maybe Myers and Subban on D. Honestly if guys like Marleau, Phaneuf or Bouwmeester are clearly not good enough to crack the squad, I'd rather see one of the kids get the spot for the experience.
Came in here to say just the opposite. Jay-Bo isn't what he was hyped to be. But he is still a great defenceman. The guy has proven he can't be "the guy" to carry a team. But put him on Team Canada in a third pairing, shut-down, Pk role and people will be loving him again(until the price tag comes back). The guy is 6'4 and one of the best skaters in the game. He's great positionally and makes a great first pass. We aren't building a team with a salary cap, so take away cap hits and look at each players game as a whole. I think he's a top 8 d-man in Canada. Weber(oly. EXP), Doughty(oly. EXP), Pietro, Letang, Keith(oly. EXP), Bouwmeester(oly. EXP), Subban, Girardi(MDZ, Hamhuis). Even if he goes as the eighth d-man it gives us an option to play a guy with oly. exp for someone who might struggle with the pressure.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:10 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
Came in here to say just the opposite. Jay-Bo isn't what he was hyped to be. But he is still a great defenceman. The guy has proven he can't be "the guy" to carry a team. But put him on Team Canada in a third pairing, shut-down, Pk role and people will be loving him again(until the price tag comes back). The guy is 6'4 and one of the best skaters in the game. He's great positionally and makes a great first pass. We aren't building a team with a salary cap, so take away cap hits and look at each players game as a whole. I think he's a top 8 d-man in Canada. Weber(oly. EXP), Doughty(oly. EXP), Pietro, Letang, Keith(oly. EXP), Bouwmeester(oly. EXP), Subban, Girardi(MDZ, Hamhuis). Even if he goes as the eighth d-man it gives us an option to play a guy with oly. exp for someone who might struggle with the pressure.
Let me clarify - my only point was that if Hockey Canada knows its not going to select some of these vets for 2014 (and let's face it, much of this team has already been chosen)' then it would be more beneficial for us in the long term if some of the younger players got that orientation camp experience instead. As far as JBo goes, I have nothing against him or how he plays and am indifferent towards Flames players as a whole, but my personal opinion is that we'll look to guys like Staal, Seabrook, and Hamhuis to fill out the bottom of the defence. The lack of playoff experience on JBo's part has to mean something.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Let me clarify - my only point was that if Hockey Canada knows its not going to select some of these vets for 2014 (and let's face it, much of this team has already been chosen)' then it would be more beneficial for us in the long term if some of the younger players got that orientation camp experience instead. As far as JBo goes, I have nothing against him or how he plays and am indifferent towards Flames players as a whole, but my personal opinion is that we'll look to guys like Staal, Seabrook, and Hamhuis to fill out the bottom of the defence. The lack of playoff experience on JBo's part has to mean something.
Absolutely! Much like they should have done with Mackinnon last August in allowing him play in the SS instead of quoting some obscure made up rule and insisting that he first had to play in that ridiculous Ivan Hlinka tournament. (It will be a few years before I let HC off the hook for that one) but I digress. I was somewhat aware of JB's limited NHL PO experience, but not fully aware of just how limited it is. HOLY CRAP BALLS. ZERO PO games. And considering he was not not effective in Torino, I'd say move on, don't need him. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, he's still high on HC's list for whatever reason. I remember hearing a radio interview with a hockey writer/journalist in Calgary (well connected to HC) and after last spring's WHC the fine folks at HC were all glowing for JB. So, really..I won't be surprised to see him there and higher than just the 7th. or 8th D-man. Again, what HC sees and what I see are two completely different things.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:46 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Itīs true, but Bouwmeester has won the 2003 and 2004 WHC, 2004 World Cup, he has played at 2006 olympics and 2008 and 2012 WHC, so he has īsomeī experience.

If Canada could send 8 defenseman, I think there should be someone who can replace Letang in case of injury - such as Green, Del Zotto, Boyle, Campbell or Bouwmeester.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:42 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Itīs true, but Bouwmeester has won the 2003 and 2004 WHC, 2004 World Cup, he has played at 2006 olympics and 2008 and 2012 WHC, so he has īsomeī experience.

If Canada could send 8 defenseman, I think there should be someone who can replace Letang in case of injury - such as Green, Del Zotto, Boyle, Campbell or Bouwmeester.
I agree that Bouwmeester's international experience is an asset. He also played in the WJCs three times. I disagree though that he could replace Letang. Bouwmeester's offensive contributions have been terrible in recent years, both in the NHL and internationally.

Bouwmeester isn't a terrible option for a bottom defenceman. Good size, great skating ability, loads if international experience, shoots left and solid defensive play. A third pairing with Bouwmeester covering for Letang would be extremely mobile and quite well rounded.

I'm not saying that Bouwmeester should be picked, but I wouldn't be against seeing him over someone like Girardi.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:26 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post

Here's how I see it shaping up:

Locks:
- Weber
- Pietrangelo
- Keith
- Doughty
- Letang

Probables:
- Staal
- Seabrook

That's seven. The #8 defenceman should certainly be LHed in my view, leaving us with (in no particular order):
- Campbell
- Del Zotto
- Bouwmeester
- Coburn
- Vlasic
- Hamhuis

Personally, I'd elect to go with Hamhuis, who's a great skater in his own right, playoff-tested, good passer, and very strong defensively. And Campbell or MDZ would provide some offense should Letang or one of Doughty, Keith, or Pietr go down to injury, so they're viable options too.

So I guess J-Bo is in the mix with Coburn and Vlasic, not to mention RHed options still on the table like Boyle, Girardi, and Subban (though as a Habs fan, I would unequivocally NOT want Subban on this team).

The problem for J-Bo is that guys like Vlasic, Hamhuis, MDZ, and maybe Coburn should Philly make a playoff push, will get a long look by Hockey Canada in the NHL playoffs. And yet again, with Calgary languishing near the bottom of the West, J-Bo will be at the Worlds, which is not a problem in of itself, but I've got to think that Hockey Canada (and Yzerman in particular) would put more stock in a strong NHL playoff performance than a similar performance in the WC's. I could be wrong, though.

All to say - sure, Bouwmeester probably falls somewhere in the top-12 Canadian defenceman, and wouldn't be a bad choice for Team Canada given his skillset, but I personally feel there are a few better options out there for us as we round out the bottom of our defence corps.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:42 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I agree that Bouwmeester's international experience is an asset. He also played in the WJCs three times. I disagree though that he could replace Letang. Bouwmeester's offensive contributions have been terrible in recent years, both in the NHL and internationally.

Bouwmeester isn't a terrible option for a bottom defenceman. Good size, great skating ability, loads if international experience, shoots left and solid defensive play. A tanghird pairing with Bouwmeester covering for Letang would be extremely mobile and quite well rounded.

I'm not saying that Bouwmeester should be picked, but I wouldn't be against seeing him over someone like Girardi.
Youīre right. There is no doubt that Boyle, Del Zotto, Green and Campbell are offensively better than J. B. At least thatīs my point of view.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:10 PM
rocketxav9

Neal-Crosby-Perry
Duchene-Giroux-Stamkos
Benn-Tavares-Eberle
E.Staal-Toews-Bergeron
Getzlaf
Seguin

Keith-Pietrangelo
Hamhuis-Weber
Staal-Letang
Doughty
Seabrook

Luongo
Price
Fleury

Last edited by rocketxav9: 02-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 02:35 AM
MiGician

E. Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Tavares - Toews - Seguin
Nash - Giroux - Eberle
M. Richards - J. Staal - Bergeron
Duchene

Weber - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
M. Staal - Letang
Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Ward

Old
02-17-2013, 02:45 PM
waitin425

I'm frothing at the mouth thinking about the following line

Tavares - Crosby -Stamkos

Old
02-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Saison Marguerite

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post

I'd rather have Giroux move up to wing beside Sid and Stammer and have JT move down to 2C, tbh.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:09 AM
DJWils08
Rookie User

My projections

Forwards

LW C RW
Stamkos Crosby Nash
Tavares Getzlaf Perry
J.Staal Giroux Bergeron
Hall Toews Eberle

Extras E. Staal, Heatley

Defense

LD RD
Letang Weber
Keith Seabrook
Pieterangelo Doughty

Extras M.Staal, Subban

Goalies

Luongo-Starter (Ya, call me crazy he only won gold for us in 2010)
Price
Fleury

Old
02-18-2013, 08:29 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWils08 View Post
My projections

Forwards

LW C RW
Stamkos Crosby Nash
Tavares Getzlaf Perry
J.Staal Giroux Bergeron
Hall Toews Eberle

Extras E. Staal, Heatley
Defense

LD RD
Letang Weber
Keith Seabrook
Pieterangelo Doughty

Extras M.Staal, Subban

Goalies

Luongo-Starter (Ya, call me crazy he only won gold for us in 2010)
Price
Fleury
Heatley...

I also wouldn't want Getzlaf or Perry on my team at this point, either.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Mr Writer

Yes, can we just please get past the Heatley, Thornton, Marleau era for Team Canada. They are done as international players; and while they may have a few productive to hardly productive (Heatley) professional seasons remaining, let them stay there. As for players like Getzlaf, Perry, Richards, while it's not too late for them to at some point return to international play, for Sochi???? I just don't see it. or should I say I don't want to see it. We have better players and better options for the 6 aforementioned players. If we were at Hurley's Pub in Montreal discussing the potential line-up where somebody proposed Heatley for the team, then that person would be in danger of getting a basket full jalapeno shrimp upside the head.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:55 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Yes, can we just please get past the Heatley, Thornton, Marleau era for Team Canada. They are done as international players; and while they may have a few productive to hardly productive (Heatley) professional seasons remaining, let them stay there. As for players like Getzlaf, Perry, Richards, while it's not too late for them to at some point return to international play, for Sochi???? I just don't see it. or should I say I don't want to see it. We have better players and better options for the 6 aforementioned players. If we were at Hurley's Pub in Montreal discussing the potential line-up where somebody proposed Heatley for the team, then that person would be in danger of getting a basket full jalapeno shrimp upside the head.
Was there last weekend, after the Habs-Leafs fiasco. I suspect you'd also get the same reaction @ Hurley's should Subban's name come up.....

My view is that Getzlaf, Perry, and Richards still have time to prove themselves, but they aren't helping their cause at the moment. Getzlaf and Perry are sitting under a PPG, which is not what you want to see from your scoring forwards. Marleau has (predictably) cooled-off substantially.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Was there last weekend, after the Habs-Leafs fiasco. I suspect you'd also get the same reaction @ Hurley's should Subban's name come up.....

My view is that Getzlaf, Perry, and Richards still have time to prove themselves, but they aren't helping their cause at the moment. Getzlaf and Perry are sitting under a PPG, which is not what you want to see from your scoring forwards. Marleau has (predictably) cooled-off substantially.
Lucky you! I'd cross-check Heatley and gladly take a 10 game suspension for a pint at Hurley's. Seriously, late March I'm trying to get to Mtl for a game and a night out on Crescent St.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:26 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Lucky you! I'd cross-check Heatley and gladly take a 10 game suspension for a pint at Hurley's. Seriously, late March I'm trying to get to Mtl for a game and a night out on Crescent St.
Yeah, the night out after certainly more than made up for the game, which was brutal...

Old
02-18-2013, 09:56 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post

A crazy talented line, but if Stamkos ever plays wing I want him on the left. You need to be able to utilize that one timer.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:57 AM
True Hockey Fan

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-olympics.html

Choosing Canada's hockey team for 2014 Sochi Olympics (by CBC, February 5)

It is an interesting roster. Iīm not against the Bergeron - Crosby - Eberle line, I think itīs an underrated idea.

EDIT:

Another good analysis I think - http://farhandevji.com/?p=580

Last edited by True Hockey Fan: 02-18-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 10:59 AM
oilphan

Gotta throw my biased hat in the ring for Taylor Hall. He is an absolute beast and is totally dominating the play on every shift this yeay. He is playing against the opposing team's top line and creating chances like crazy.

Get him on a line with a big crash the net fwd like Bergeron and just make sure you keep in stapled to the bench during the shootouts. On the big ice, he will be down right scary.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
BCShark

why some people are putting hall on the roster is beyond me

Old
02-18-2013, 11:59 AM
RacMan93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShark View Post
why some people are putting hall on the roster is beyond me
i say the same thing about perry

Old
02-18-2013, 02:41 PM
DJWils08
Rookie User

Quote:
Heatley...

I also wouldn't want Getzlaf or Perry on my team at this point, either.
Heatley if you didn't know has been unreal for canada every time he has played.

Getzlaf and Perry? Perry scored 50 goals a season ago, always a 30 goal scorer and has a mean streak. This guy has gotta be on the team. Getzlaf is a center with size, something were lacking, and is a premier passer, especially setting up Perry.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:43 PM
DJWils08
Rookie User

Too many people thinking "All-Star Team" when you need to be thinking more of a team with a "Top 6" and a "bottom 6". Now of course our bottom 6 is still going to be unreal but thats what wins championships

Old
02-18-2013, 03:52 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWils08 View Post
Heatley if you didn't know has been unreal for canada every time he has played.

Getzlaf and Perry? Perry scored 50 goals a season ago, always a 30 goal scorer and has a mean streak. This guy has gotta be on the team. Getzlaf is a center with size, something were lacking, and is a premier passer, especially setting up Perry.
My concerns around Heatley are his speed and mobility (or lack thereof) on the larger international ice surface. Have you seen him play recently? He'd be a detriment on this team. And frankly, I don't really care what kind of number he's put up at past WC's. He was mediocre in Vancouver and saw his playing decrease throughout the tournament; he was pretty bad in Torino (along with most of Canada); and he was mediocre at the 2004 World Cup. And that was during his prime; he's a shell of his former self, now.

And I actually have similar concerns with Getzlaf and Perry when it comes to skating ability. They have time to turn it around, to be sure, but I'm looking for more from my second scoring line than 2 goals (Perry, a supposed goal-scorer) or under a PPG (Getzlaf). And its not like either guy offers much more than scoring, either. We have too many other options than to simply go with guys that were good in 2010; that's pretty much meaningless now, almost 4 years later.

Closed Thread